CITROEN C1 questions and answers

CITROEN C1

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C1 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C1. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C1 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Angela Burn, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C1

My January 2014 Citroen C1 has twice started flashing the Seatbelt light and beeping loudly at me to fasten the seatbelt when I am alone in the car and with the seatbelt correctly fastened. The noise is terrible, getting louder and louder and I can't stop it. Turning the engine off and "belting up" again didn't stop this happening. Later when I got into the car it was back to normal. I'm worried it will happen again but if I take it back to the garage it will be fine when they examine it as it's just an intermittent problem. What can I do to stop it happening again?

Did you have anything on the passenger seat. . The sests have sensors and anything heavy like shopping or a heavy bag will mimic a person and set the alarm off darren from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 18/08/2014 14:45:43 | ID: 101702

Grant, South Africa

Citroen C1

Where is the fuel filter of a Citroen C1 situated.

Submitted: 07/08/2014 16:12:49 | ID: 101082

Ann, Rhondda Cynon Taf

Citroen C1

I have heard a beep noise on occasions. No warning lights come on. Just wonder if anybody knows what the beep is. It seems to be a warning or a reminder as it only happens occasionally.

Hi - i had the same problem last week - i would like to know what it is, its def not petrol warning i know that. Carly from Surrey

Submitted: 08/07/2014 21:22:38 | ID: 99270

clive, Middlesex

Citroen C1

How many reversing lights, 1 or 2?

Submitted: 16/06/2014 17:58:34 | ID: 97818

Elin, Powys

Citroen C1

Hi, my CD player keeps shuffling the songs on any CD's I play. The volume/skip buttons are also very temperamental. Has this happened to anyone else? And does anyone know how to stop the cd's skipping? Thank You.

Submitted: 23/05/2014 21:46:28 | ID: 96021

irene, West Midlands

Citroen C1

car purchased in 2011 10,000 on clock how long befor change cambelt thank you.

If it is a 1.0 petrol it has a chain-driven camshaft, not a belt, so it should last the life of the car provided you stick to the service schedule. If it is the (rare in the UK) 1.4HDI diesel, the cam belt should be changed every 150,000 miles, or 10 years according to Citroën (although I'd be tempted to do it well before then).Harry from Lancashire

If it is a 1.0 petrol it has a chain-driven camshaft, not a belt, so it should last the life of the car provided you stick to the service schedule. If it is the (rare in the UK) 1.4HDI diesel, the cam belt should be changed every 150,000 miles, or 10 years, according to Citroën (although I'd be tempted to do it well before then). Source: Harry from Lancashire

Submitted: 16/05/2014 18:14:36 | ID: 95597

l.baker, Lancashire

Citroen C1

Red warning light on dash.says emmission fault.could you tell me what it means and is it safe to drive

Upper lambda sensor ryan from Warwickshire

Submitted: 15/05/2014 18:35:43 | ID: 95559

cliff, Durham

Just bought c1 engine fan is on a lot even on short drives

Submitted: 18/04/2014 15:28:30 | ID: 94401

J Thomas, Northumberland

Citroen C1 2012

JI have a new Citroen C1 VTR purchased March 2013 - key fob battery was changed by the dealer in November. I returned it to the garage again last week when the key fob central locking stopped operating suddenly. The battery was changed again. Then I was advised that there was probably a fault with the key. I spoke to Citroen and also the Citroen dealer and both state it`s not covered by initial warranty - key has not been damaged or subject to conditions which may cause fault. Despite having looked at all the literature that came with the vehicle at point of purchase I cannot find any explicit exemption clause relating to this. The cost for a new key is £160 via dealer. Has anybody else had similar problems with new C range vehicles? I feel slightly fobbed off. No interest at all from the dealer, only that it`s "probably" the key and it’ll be £160 for a replacement. I`m very curious to find out if others have had similar problems with new vehicle fobs and central locking? Thanks. (VTR)

Submitted: 18/03/2014 11:36:52 | ID: 63007

Carla Parfitt, Norfolk

Citroen C1 2010

My Citroen C1`s boot will not shut, it comes down but does not connect to catch. There are no obstructions. Any ideas? (vtr+)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:03:55 | ID: 60835

Don Edwards, England

Citroen C1 2009

There`s a bad smell coming from the heater - air con of my Citroen C1. I`ve put in new filters pollen and engine. Is there a drain for the air con and where is it or have you got any answers regarding the smell?

Submitted: 21/02/2014 16:04:11 | ID: 62283

Dan Rigg, England

Citroen C1 2010

Why does my Citroen C1`s fuel light come on when the engine isn’t running? If I just sit on two bars and leave my ignition on the fuel light or noise comes on? Is this a fault or did I buy a piece of rubbish?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 14:49:39 | ID: 62113

Deb Gill, England

Citroen C1 2009

My Citroen C1 fires up but won’t start. I’ve read this could be the key but I don’t have a spare to try so is there anything else I should try first and how much is it to get a key reprogrammed? Thank you.

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:18:01 | ID: 61783

Una de Jager, Somerset

Citroen C1 2007

Hi, I have a Citroen C1, stunning little cars. It makes a noise in front and they told me it was the water pump. Can I fix it myself and where do I find one? Thanks.

Submitted: 17/01/2014 10:30:38 | ID: 60833

Sophie Kemp, England

Citroen C1 2009

Hi, I was just driving back from work and my Citroen C1`s coolant hazard light came on and then a red STOP sign started flashing. I pulled into a garage and they tried to refill the coolant but said I had a leak in my radiator. Any ideas how much this would cost to repair? I’m not very confident with car repairs and don’t want to be ripped off! Thanks. (Rhythm)

Hi, a radiator for this will be around £60, antifreeze £10 and a few hours in labour, depending where you go I would say less than £200. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 16/01/2014 12:36:46 | ID: 53897

Paul, England

Citroen C1 2009

Hi, the rear seat belt in my Citroen C1 sounds as though it`s come loose behind the plastic of the trim inside the car. My question is how do I get the plastic trim off to get to the seat belt? Thanks in advance. (vtr)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 14:50:16 | ID: 60522

Jack, England

Citroen C1 2008

I have a problem starting my Citroen C1. It turns over fine but won’t fire up. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Security fuel lock out. The transponder in the key fob maybe faulty or needing reprogrammed. That’s if your other key/s work ok Gerard McHugh from Perthshire

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:06:57 | ID: 56170

Laura H, England

Citroen C1 2013

I have had my Citroen C1 2013 VTR+ for a week and on the way home tonight my clutch felt loose and started making a clanging noise when changing gears. It only has 300 miles on the clock. Any ideas? (VTR+ 2013)

Be very careful. I had a similar problem and got fobbed off by Citroen. Rubbish gearboxes and clutch. Send it back and buy something else. Stevie from London

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:58:09 | ID: 59224

Shaun Stoker, England

Citroen C1 2007

I was driving along in my Citroen C1 when I heard a bang, smoke came from the engine, there was oil on the engine and there’s a rattle on the engine which doesn`t sound good. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

Submitted: 10/12/2013 11:24:19 | ID: 56704

Sue Corrigan, Durham

Citroen C1 2011

Do the main lights of my Citroen C1 have to be on before the instrument panel lights up?

Submitted: 09/12/2013 12:37:16 | ID: 58071

Martin Sansome, England

Citroen C1 2006

My 1.4 diesel Citroen C1 starts quickly any morning and then stops again. To get it going again I used to actuate the bulb fuel pump until I could feel fuel in it and then the engine would restart and keep going. Now I do not get the feel of fuel in the bulb but I can restart the engine by repeatedly pumping the accelerator. One the engine has started the second time in a day, it normally gives no more trouble until the next or following morning. Ideas please?

Fuel pump not working? Siphoning fuel when fuel line has been pumped full? Gerard McHugh from Perthshire

Submitted: 06/12/2013 15:18:59 | ID: 58867

Gill McDoough, Cheshire

Citroen C1 2012

Where is the bonnet release switch on my Citroen C1?

The lever is in the left side footwell on the left side. It’s a small black lever about half inch wide that I only managed to find by feeling around in there, I couldn’t actually see it. It’s just underneath the bottom of the dashboard plastic. Charlie from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 25/11/2013 12:30:35 | ID: 58476

Kim, Vale of Glamorgan

Citroen C1 2007

How can I take the Citroen C1 rear back light out on the driver`s side please?

Submitted: 25/11/2013 11:49:50 | ID: 58473

Kevin, England

Citroen C1 2008

My partner`s Citroen C1 blower motor is making a slight noise. Does anyone know where it is located so I can take a look at it?

Submitted: 19/11/2013 10:49:13 | ID: 91482

Julian Grigg, England

Citroen C1 2012

I am buying a new Citroen C1 VTR for my wife and would like to know what you people think? Feedback would be most welcome. Thanks. (VTR)

I have a c1 and have had one for years. It’s a Flintstone’s car with limited electronics/gadgets, but when you want a car just for driving and not one which spends a lifetime having its diagnostics testing, then you want good reliable and Flintstone’s in nature. Adele Carrington from England

Do not buy one. Rubbish cars, dealers, gearboxes and clutches. Stevie from London

Submitted: 12/11/2013 11:28:51 | ID: 57697

Brooke Emerson, Hampshire

Citroen C1 2012

I have a Citroen C1 brand new but my cd/aux button on my radio is stuck. How can I fix this? Is it something I can do myself or do I need to take it to someone to fix it for me?

Submitted: 31/10/2013 15:41:35 | ID: 57001

Valerie Lee, Durham

Citroen C1 2012

I have a Citroen C1 VTR reg Sept 2013. Can the instrument panel be brightened?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:17:47 | ID: 64639

Paul Allom, England

Citroen C1 2008

My son`s Citroen C1 vibe 58 reg had door locks, driver`s especially, which are becoming difficult to use with the key. We bought a new key which improved things for approx 3 months, but are now considering a new lock and key, to the tune of £220 for one only. We have also heard that using a new key in the other two locks, boot and passenger door, may corrupt the new key. My son only bought the car 6 months ago and unbiased advice seems hard to find. I have bought some powerful rust remover to spray into the locks, just as a temporary measure. Could anyone please advise if a new lock and key would be corrupted by the old locks in the boot and passenger door? Thanks for any help and advice. (vibe)

The same has happened on mine and I can only open the boot from the inside! I am also able to use other car keys and house keys to open my car to get in! Kim from Vale of Glamorgan

Hello - I’ve had this trouble with my C1 two years on the trot now! Funnily enough both around winter time, so I’m guessing it’s something to do with the weather? Anyway, first time I had the lock replaced, new keys, etc, cost a packet, so when it happened earlier this year I couldn’t afford to have anything done, so I thought ’right, I’m just using vaseline!’ So shoved my key in a tub of vaseline and put it in the lock - worked like a charm! It’s absolutely fine now, but whenever it starts to go a bit stiff, etc, out comes the pot of vaseline! (which I keep in my drivers side just in case!) Hope this is of some help. D Lews from Somerset

Submitted: 28/10/2013 10:40:03 | ID: 56706

Mandy Proctor, England

Citroen C1 2012

Please can anybody tell me if an automatic transmission Citroën C1 VTR + 2013 should roll backwards on slight hills and if so the best thing to do to prevent this?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 15:49:37 | ID: 56128

Victoria Howard, Yorkshire

Citroen C1 2008

Whilst driving my Citroen C1 this morning I have two red warning lights appear on my dashboard. One is the battery sign and the other looks like some sort of level with arrows. The water pump was only replaced last week and the car is driving fine. Any advice please? Many thanks. (Petrol)

Submitted: 30/09/2013 15:55:45 | ID: 55366

Gary Goodbrand, Lanarkshire

Citroen C1 2007

I turned on my Citroen C1 to come home tonight and when I went to put my lights on the light behind the dash wouldn’t come on. The sidelights won’t come on when I turn the dial once but the headlights come on when I turn them on. The main beam comes on and so do the indicators but the rear lights don’t come on. Brake lights work and so does reverse but when I open the door it doesn’t beep to say the lights are on. I have checked all the bulbs and all the fuses and they are all fine. Any ideas? (vibe)

Most likely the light stalk. We have had this before. Regards -Matt from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 24/09/2013 11:42:51 | ID: 54896

Jenny Watts, Wales

Citroen C1 2007

I have recently purchased my Citroen C1 and need to reset the clock on the dashboard. I have no handbook and would like advice on how to do this. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/09/2013 15:47:21 | ID: 54633

Jenna, Lancashire

Citroen C1 2008

I have been hearing a scratchy sound when I`m driving my Citroen C1. I tend to hear it more when I`m turning corners. I have just had brand new brakes and discs fitted so it can`t be that. It passed it`s MOT in March and it was doing it then. Can anyone advise what it may be? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/09/2013 14:50:28 | ID: 54080

Sharon Mcroy-Jones, Caerphilly

Citroen C1 2007

My Citroen C1 appears to be racing quite a bit, especially more so going uphill. My foot can be right down on the accelerator but it just seems to lose power and doesn`t have the wellie to get me up the hill. It`s not as bad on the straight road. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 06/09/2013 09:09:09 | ID: 54020

Duncan, England

Citroen C1 2012

How do you open the fuel filler cap on the Citroen C1? I’ve followed the instructions in the manual of turning the key left and then back to horizontal, but the cap doesn’t unscrew like the manual says it should after this. Can anyone suggest what to do?

Turn the key left then right (as you said), then take the key out and unscrew to the left. That should do it! Tori from England

Submitted: 19/04/2013 09:18:02 | ID: 93115

Roger Smith, England

Citroen C1 2007

My Citroen C1 is going to have the water pump replaced in 6 days time as it`s started to rattle. Is it still okay to drive approx 30 miles a day in heavy traffic or should I leave it at home? (vibe)

Submitted: 04/04/2013 09:56:52 | ID: 73412

Phill, England

Citroen C1 2008

My wife`s Citroen C1 has a top end rattle that is noticeably louder when cold. It sounds like a cam to valve issue but I’m not sure of the cam follower arrangement on this engine. What is the likely cause?

Hi Phil, did you ever get anywhere with this? My girlfriend’s is making a rattly noise at certain revs, especially on the motorway at 70mph, but also around town. - John Davison Anonymous from

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:01:15 | ID: 90813

Jade Drysdale, Stirlingshire

Citroen C1 2011

I noticed that I have a grinding/scraping when turning right in my Citroen C1. The further round I steer the louder it gets, but there is no noise at all when I turn left. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it serious?

I have the same problem with my Citreon C1. I’m currently sat in the garage waiting to see what’s wrong with it James Stogden from Yorkshire

Possible wheel bearing lhs. When turning right more pressure is exerted on the lhs wheel bearing and vice versa. Any wear in the bearing is exaggerated under load and makes the noise as described. At least get it checked out before it gets any worse! John Wilson from Hampshire

Submitted: 21/03/2013 12:29:15 | ID: 92033

Jenny Willam, England

Citroen C1 2008

My central locking has not worked from 3 days from buying my car, it opens the driver’s door but the passengers does not unlock. I have changed the fuse but this was not the fault. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:44:20 | ID: 91411

David Morris, Warwickshire

Citroen C1 2007

I am trying to identify which wire to the nearside headlamp bulb is the main beam on my Citroen C1. I can see red, green and grey. Red is best guess but I’d like to know for sure so I can take a feed to driving lights via a relay. Can anyone help me please? (Vibe)

Submitted: 21/02/2013 10:15:30 | ID: 67831