CITROEN C1 questions and answers

CITROEN C1

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C1 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C1. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C1 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

cliff, Durham

Citroen C1

Just bought c1 engine fan is on a lot even on short drives

Submitted: 18/04/2014 15:28:30 | ID: 94401

J Thomas, Northumberland

Citroen C1 2012

JI have a new Citroen C1 VTR purchased March 2013 - key fob battery was changed by the dealer in November. I returned it to the garage again last week when the key fob central locking stopped operating suddenly. The battery was changed again. Then I was advised that there was probably a fault with the key. I spoke to Citroen and also the Citroen dealer and both state it`s not covered by initial warranty - key has not been damaged or subject to conditions which may cause fault. Despite having looked at all the literature that came with the vehicle at point of purchase I cannot find any explicit exemption clause relating to this. The cost for a new key is £160 via dealer. Has anybody else had similar problems with new C range vehicles? I feel slightly fobbed off. No interest at all from the dealer, only that it`s "probably" the key and it’ll be £160 for a replacement. I`m very curious to find out if others have had similar problems with new vehicle fobs and central locking? Thanks. (VTR)

Submitted: 18/03/2014 11:36:52 | ID: 63007

Carla Parfitt, Norfolk

Citroen C1 2010

My Citroen C1`s boot will not shut, it comes down but does not connect to catch. There are no obstructions. Any ideas? (vtr+)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:03:55 | ID: 60835

Don Edwards, England

Citroen C1 2009

There`s a bad smell coming from the heater - air con of my Citroen C1. I`ve put in new filters pollen and engine. Is there a drain for the air con and where is it or have you got any answers regarding the smell?

Submitted: 21/02/2014 16:04:11 | ID: 62283

Dan Rigg, England

Citroen C1 2010

Why does my Citroen C1`s fuel light come on when the engine isn’t running? If I just sit on two bars and leave my ignition on the fuel light or noise comes on? Is this a fault or did I buy a piece of rubbish?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 14:49:39 | ID: 62113

Deb Gill, England

Citroen C1 2009

My Citroen C1 fires up but won’t start. I’ve read this could be the key but I don’t have a spare to try so is there anything else I should try first and how much is it to get a key reprogrammed? Thank you.

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:18:01 | ID: 61783

Una de Jager, Somerset

Citroen C1 2007

Hi, I have a Citroen C1, stunning little cars. It makes a noise in front and they told me it was the water pump. Can I fix it myself and where do I find one? Thanks.

Submitted: 17/01/2014 10:30:38 | ID: 60833

Sophie Kemp, England

Citroen C1 2009

Hi, I was just driving back from work and my Citroen C1`s coolant hazard light came on and then a red STOP sign started flashing. I pulled into a garage and they tried to refill the coolant but said I had a leak in my radiator. Any ideas how much this would cost to repair? I’m not very confident with car repairs and don’t want to be ripped off! Thanks. (Rhythm)

Hi, a radiator for this will be around £60, antifreeze £10 and a few hours in labour, depending where you go I would say less than £200. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 16/01/2014 12:36:46 | ID: 53897

Paul, England

Citroen C1 2009

Hi, the rear seat belt in my Citroen C1 sounds as though it`s come loose behind the plastic of the trim inside the car. My question is how do I get the plastic trim off to get to the seat belt? Thanks in advance. (vtr)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 14:50:16 | ID: 60522

Jack, England

Citroen C1 2008

I have a problem starting my Citroen C1. It turns over fine but won’t fire up. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Security fuel lock out. The transponder in the key fob maybe faulty or needing reprogrammed. That’s if your other key/s work ok Gerard McHugh from Perthshire

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:06:57 | ID: 56170

Laura H, England

Citroen C1 2013

I have had my Citroen C1 2013 VTR+ for a week and on the way home tonight my clutch felt loose and started making a clanging noise when changing gears. It only has 300 miles on the clock. Any ideas? (VTR+ 2013)

Be very careful. I had a similar problem and got fobbed off by Citroen. Rubbish gearboxes and clutch. Send it back and buy something else. Stevie from London

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:58:09 | ID: 59224

Shaun Stoker, England

Citroen C1 2007

I was driving along in my Citroen C1 when I heard a bang, smoke came from the engine, there was oil on the engine and there’s a rattle on the engine which doesn`t sound good. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

Submitted: 10/12/2013 11:24:19 | ID: 56704

Sue Corrigan, Durham

Citroen C1 2011

Do the main lights of my Citroen C1 have to be on before the instrument panel lights up?

Submitted: 09/12/2013 12:37:16 | ID: 58071

Martin Sansome, England

Citroen C1 2006

My 1.4 diesel Citroen C1 starts quickly any morning and then stops again. To get it going again I used to actuate the bulb fuel pump until I could feel fuel in it and then the engine would restart and keep going. Now I do not get the feel of fuel in the bulb but I can restart the engine by repeatedly pumping the accelerator. One the engine has started the second time in a day, it normally gives no more trouble until the next or following morning. Ideas please?

Fuel pump not working? Siphoning fuel when fuel line has been pumped full? Gerard McHugh from Perthshire

Submitted: 06/12/2013 15:18:59 | ID: 58867

Gill McDoough, Cheshire

Citroen C1 2012

Where is the bonnet release switch on my Citroen C1?

The lever is in the left side footwell on the left side. It’s a small black lever about half inch wide that I only managed to find by feeling around in there, I couldn’t actually see it. It’s just underneath the bottom of the dashboard plastic. Charlie from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 25/11/2013 12:30:35 | ID: 58476

Kim, Vale of Glamorgan

Citroen C1 2007

How can I take the Citroen C1 rear back light out on the driver`s side please?

Submitted: 25/11/2013 11:49:50 | ID: 58473

Kevin, England

Citroen C1 2008

My partner`s Citroen C1 blower motor is making a slight noise. Does anyone know where it is located so I can take a look at it?

Submitted: 19/11/2013 10:49:13 | ID: 91482

Julian Grigg, England

Citroen C1 2012

I am buying a new Citroen C1 VTR for my wife and would like to know what you people think? Feedback would be most welcome. Thanks. (VTR)

I have a c1 and have had one for years. It’s a Flintstone’s car with limited electronics/gadgets, but when you want a car just for driving and not one which spends a lifetime having its diagnostics testing, then you want good reliable and Flintstone’s in nature. Adele Carrington from England

Do not buy one. Rubbish cars, dealers, gearboxes and clutches. Stevie from London

Submitted: 12/11/2013 11:28:51 | ID: 57697

Brooke Emerson, Hampshire

Citroen C1 2012

I have a Citroen C1 brand new but my cd/aux button on my radio is stuck. How can I fix this? Is it something I can do myself or do I need to take it to someone to fix it for me?

Submitted: 31/10/2013 15:41:35 | ID: 57001

Valerie Lee, Durham

Citroen C1 2012

I have a Citroen C1 VTR reg Sept 2013. Can the instrument panel be brightened?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:17:47 | ID: 64639

Paul Allom, England

Citroen C1 2008

My son`s Citroen C1 vibe 58 reg had door locks, driver`s especially, which are becoming difficult to use with the key. We bought a new key which improved things for approx 3 months, but are now considering a new lock and key, to the tune of £220 for one only. We have also heard that using a new key in the other two locks, boot and passenger door, may corrupt the new key. My son only bought the car 6 months ago and unbiased advice seems hard to find. I have bought some powerful rust remover to spray into the locks, just as a temporary measure. Could anyone please advise if a new lock and key would be corrupted by the old locks in the boot and passenger door? Thanks for any help and advice. (vibe)

The same has happened on mine and I can only open the boot from the inside! I am also able to use other car keys and house keys to open my car to get in! Kim from Vale of Glamorgan

Hello - I’ve had this trouble with my C1 two years on the trot now! Funnily enough both around winter time, so I’m guessing it’s something to do with the weather? Anyway, first time I had the lock replaced, new keys, etc, cost a packet, so when it happened earlier this year I couldn’t afford to have anything done, so I thought ’right, I’m just using vaseline!’ So shoved my key in a tub of vaseline and put it in the lock - worked like a charm! It’s absolutely fine now, but whenever it starts to go a bit stiff, etc, out comes the pot of vaseline! (which I keep in my drivers side just in case!) Hope this is of some help. D Lews from Somerset

Submitted: 28/10/2013 10:40:03 | ID: 56706

Mandy Proctor, England

Citroen C1 2012

Please can anybody tell me if an automatic transmission Citroën C1 VTR + 2013 should roll backwards on slight hills and if so the best thing to do to prevent this?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 15:49:37 | ID: 56128

Victoria Howard, Yorkshire

Citroen C1 2008

Whilst driving my Citroen C1 this morning I have two red warning lights appear on my dashboard. One is the battery sign and the other looks like some sort of level with arrows. The water pump was only replaced last week and the car is driving fine. Any advice please? Many thanks. (Petrol)

Submitted: 30/09/2013 15:55:45 | ID: 55366

Gary Goodbrand, Lanarkshire

Citroen C1 2007

I turned on my Citroen C1 to come home tonight and when I went to put my lights on the light behind the dash wouldn’t come on. The sidelights won’t come on when I turn the dial once but the headlights come on when I turn them on. The main beam comes on and so do the indicators but the rear lights don’t come on. Brake lights work and so does reverse but when I open the door it doesn’t beep to say the lights are on. I have checked all the bulbs and all the fuses and they are all fine. Any ideas? (vibe)

Most likely the light stalk. We have had this before. Regards -Matt from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 24/09/2013 11:42:51 | ID: 54896

Jenny Watts, Wales

Citroen C1 2007

I have recently purchased my Citroen C1 and need to reset the clock on the dashboard. I have no handbook and would like advice on how to do this. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/09/2013 15:47:21 | ID: 54633

Jenna, Lancashire

Citroen C1 2008

I have been hearing a scratchy sound when I`m driving my Citroen C1. I tend to hear it more when I`m turning corners. I have just had brand new brakes and discs fitted so it can`t be that. It passed it`s MOT in March and it was doing it then. Can anyone advise what it may be? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/09/2013 14:50:28 | ID: 54080

Sharon Mcroy-Jones, Caerphilly

Citroen C1 2007

My Citroen C1 appears to be racing quite a bit, especially more so going uphill. My foot can be right down on the accelerator but it just seems to lose power and doesn`t have the wellie to get me up the hill. It`s not as bad on the straight road. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 06/09/2013 09:09:09 | ID: 54020

Duncan, England

Citroen C1 2012

How do you open the fuel filler cap on the Citroen C1? I’ve followed the instructions in the manual of turning the key left and then back to horizontal, but the cap doesn’t unscrew like the manual says it should after this. Can anyone suggest what to do?

Turn the key left then right (as you said), then take the key out and unscrew to the left. That should do it! Tori from England

Submitted: 19/04/2013 09:18:02 | ID: 93115

Roger Smith, England

Citroen C1 2007

My Citroen C1 is going to have the water pump replaced in 6 days time as it`s started to rattle. Is it still okay to drive approx 30 miles a day in heavy traffic or should I leave it at home? (vibe)

Submitted: 04/04/2013 09:56:52 | ID: 73412

Phill, England

Citroen C1 2008

My wife`s Citroen C1 has a top end rattle that is noticeably louder when cold. It sounds like a cam to valve issue but I’m not sure of the cam follower arrangement on this engine. What is the likely cause?

Hi Phil, did you ever get anywhere with this? My girlfriend’s is making a rattly noise at certain revs, especially on the motorway at 70mph, but also around town. - John Davison Anonymous from

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:01:15 | ID: 90813

Jade Drysdale, Stirlingshire

Citroen C1 2011

I noticed that I have a grinding/scraping when turning right in my Citroen C1. The further round I steer the louder it gets, but there is no noise at all when I turn left. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it serious?

I have the same problem with my Citreon C1. I’m currently sat in the garage waiting to see what’s wrong with it James Stogden from Yorkshire

Possible wheel bearing lhs. When turning right more pressure is exerted on the lhs wheel bearing and vice versa. Any wear in the bearing is exaggerated under load and makes the noise as described. At least get it checked out before it gets any worse! John Wilson from Hampshire

Submitted: 21/03/2013 12:29:15 | ID: 92033

Jenny Willam, England

Citroen C1 2008

My central locking has not worked from 3 days from buying my car, it opens the driver’s door but the passengers does not unlock. I have changed the fuse but this was not the fault. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:44:20 | ID: 91411

David Morris, Warwickshire

Citroen C1 2007

I am trying to identify which wire to the nearside headlamp bulb is the main beam on my Citroen C1. I can see red, green and grey. Red is best guess but I’d like to know for sure so I can take a feed to driving lights via a relay. Can anyone help me please? (Vibe)

Submitted: 21/02/2013 10:15:30 | ID: 67831

Mosa Selimo, Lesotho

Citroen C1 2007

The main problem with my Citroen C1 is that the engine light is always on, sometimes it disappears but after a short period it comes on again. Please can anyone help?

Submitted: 19/02/2013 12:44:01 | ID: 90203

Dave Brown, England

Citroen C1 2007

I was wondering if anyone can help. My Citroen C1 will not go into reverse gear without serious crunching and grinding. It also struggles to go into first when setting off but once it gets going all other gears are fine. Also when the clutch is pressed down or when biting there is a rattling noise. I have tried adjusting the clutch but there`s only a slight improvement . Any ideas please?

Sounds like you need a replacement clutch, mine went about 2 weeks ago with exactly the same problems. I drove it for a day or two and it just gets worse Beth Grisedale from England

Mine does this too, had problems getting it in seems to sit in reverse but doesn’t engage. So it’s going to the garage tomorrow again. Couldn’t find anything wrong with it last time *apparently* not a constant problem though quite sporadic but when it doesn’t want to go it does not go at all Danii from England

Submitted: 11/02/2013 15:12:07 | ID: 90463

Matthew Hall, England

Citroen C1 2008

My Citroen C1 sometimes loses power and cuts out. It`s unable to start immediately but after waiting a few minutes it successfully starts. What could the problem be?

Submitted: 21/01/2013 11:23:20 | ID: 68099

William Hogarth, Yorkshire

Citroen C1 2011

Hi, I have just noticed that the driver`s side rear passenger window on my Citroen C1 has come off one of it`s brackets, (glued on by the looks of it). Is there a quick fix on this or is it a garage job? Cheers.

I had the same problem - my garage referred me to a local windscreen specialist as it needs a special glue. They did the job in about 5 minutes and didn’t charge me anything for it! I think this is known problem on the C1 Michael Gregory from Oxfordshire

Had the same problem twice. The first time I asked autoglass if they could fix it and they glued it using what appeared to be the same stuff that they use for windscreens, charged 85 pounds to do this, but only lasted for a year. Second time, i simply bought some evo-stick glass/metal clear glue and a small clamp. I takes two minutes to remove the window (two bolts and a couple of hex bolts where the window opens). mark out where the hinge needs to go, clean off the old adhesive, then glue, gently clamp and leave for ah hour.This repair has lasted me over a year so far and has no signs of failing (and i do around 35k miles a year) Mark from Essex

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:58:51 | ID: 67421

Rae Burke, Scotland

Citroen C1 2010

Hi. My Citroen C1 is letting in water in the boot. I had it in the garage and they fixed the seals but I had to take it back. They now say they will have to take the roof off to find the leak. Has anyone heard this before? I have to take it back in on January 14th and am having problems with my locks as well.

Hey! I have the same problem, my boot lock won’t work at all, can’t even get the key in anymore and my driver’s side lock is starting to do the same. I have had the leck in my boot for the last 5 years and the same problem my mother has with her 12 plate Kimberley from Wales

I bought my C1 secondhand and I noticed the left side of the boot carpet was sodden. I removed the carpet and then noticed the spare wheel well had 3 inches of water in it. I removed the rubber bung and drained it out, then dried it out with towels. I dried the carpet over one of my radiators. Within two weeks it was wet again. When I had a service I asked them to fix it. They seemed to know about the general problem. Later, when I asked if they had fixed it they said that the C1 was known for letting water in through the rear lamp lens area (presumably there’s a gap between the lens and the bodywork or something). I also seem to recall they mentioned a special glue (sealant?). Anyway, it seems to have been fixed (under warranty) Ray Battersby from Sussex

My wife’s C1 had a sodden boot carpet. After much drying out and pouring water over the back of the car I noticed that the pin that goes through the left hand hinge on the tailgate had worked its way almost right out. I tapped it back into place and hey presto the leak appears to be cured. Charlie from Durham

Submitted: 08/01/2013 08:35:31 | ID: 67204

Jill Fogg, Yorkshire

Citroen C1 2007

My Citroen C1`s battery light does not go out, then when you have been driving a while the temperature light comes on, followed by the stop light, but the heater is blowing cold air. What`s wrong?

Battery light indicates it is not charging, so either faulty battery not accepting charge or alternator has gone. As for the temp light and cold air, is there enough water in the collant? The heaters use the heat produced by the engine transfered to the collant which then goes on to the radiator which cools the water down and is also used for your own heating system hence why it takes a while to heat up. The engine heat sensor is working and telling you to stop your engine before you overheat it. Do you have a leak? Richard from England

Try what used to be the fan belt. Driven by the front pully on the engine and drives the alternator and the water pump. Alternator will not work and the engine will overheat! John Wilson from Hampshire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 09:37:38 | ID: 66876

Martin Conway, England

Citroen C1 2011

Where, from whom and at what cost can I purchase a new replacement seal/gasket that is fixed by double sided tape to the interior of the rear light cluster of my Citroen C1? This faulty gasket is the cause of water ingress into the boot via the cable penetration in the bulkhead. This would appear to be a common fault condition on these types by the amount of posts on the subject and would appear to be poor engineering and design by the manufacturers. On applying to my local dealers, I`’m informed that I must purchase a new complete light cluster (£50) as gaskets are not sold separately. When by the nature of it`s composition the said gasket/seal can only have an intrinsic value of pennies, this is a price too far. Failure to obtain a new seal at a reasonable price will result in doing what I generally do with regards to most things and that is manufacture one myself .

My wife’s C1 had water ingress in her boot and passenger well. I read that it was due to the light cluster leaking sealed them with mastic, went on holidays and returned to find the boot very wet and the passenger rear well 2 inches deep in water. I then took the high level brake light out put mastic around it and hey presto no problems since. Hope this helps. Steve Parry from Monmouthshire

Submitted: 03/01/2013 14:10:50 | ID: 66759