Vauxhall Meriva consumer car reviews and road tests

Vauxhall Meriva

Vauxhall Meriva consumer reviews by year of make: 1994  1995  1996  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013

Vauxhall Meriva consumer car reviews

Leigh, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE 2010 - 2013

Terrible car. After having replaced the ignition coil for the second time in 18 months a small connecting pipe that connects to the expansion tank shattered! This latest episode is on top of the expansion bottle lid having to be replaced because of it failing to seal properly. There are also cracks appearing in the expansion bottle so that will also need to be replaced soon. I'm absolutely certain that any car,with normal use, should have its composts last longer than four years of age! Considering it only has 58k it really doesn't give good value for money. It's also not as economical as expected, probably due to it having what feels like seriously underpowered engine. Maybe the diesels are better but I wouldn't buy one to find out. My advice steer clear and buy almost anything else in the same class!

Submitted: 2017-06-01 | ID: 141682

Alan, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA DIESEL ESTATE 2003 - 2005

Ye I have the same problem , I also rang vauxhall they will not recall tha cars ! And yes the cost is £900 to put right , mine is a 2005 model , and now after driving over a pot hole I now have a very annoying rattle from the the same steering column ! I am really annoyed with vauxhall as this potentially dangerous and very unreliable

Submitted: 2017-04-29 | ID: 140992

davetheblue@hotmail.co.uk, Cheshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA DIESEL ESTATE 2010 - 2013

Have had problems with door lock alarm constantly driving me nuts also alarms for braking system and emissions have been intermittent basically Merida is a descent car but these niggling faults put people off David

Hi further to the Meriva door alarm problem Vauxhall have replaced the battery earth for which they know about the problem they say this wil fix it .Luton on the phone said the repair would be done on warranty not true they refused & I had to pay also it's not 100% that problem won't recur why won't they own up & be honest such a shame that the car is basically good - from Cheshire

Submitted: 2017-01-13 | ID: 138059

John, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA DIESEL ESTATE 2006 - 2010

Excellent versatile car, loads of room, have used it to move all sorts of things.easy 40mpg. I have a towbar fitted for moving stuff and copes very well with heavy loads.

Submitted: 2016-08-20 | ID: 134516

john barker, Essex

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE SPECIAL EDITIONS 2004 - 2005

having a job trying to get a cam belt for my 1.6 engine have tried three all wrong any ideas

Submitted: 2016-07-18 | ID: 133625

Mohammad Zarab , West Midlands

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA DIESEL ESTATE 2006 - 2010

I had the same problem came out hazards were on thanks to Tony Morton it actually worked Thanks Tony

Submitted: 2016-03-04 | ID: 128545

Paul, Darlington

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE 2010 - 2013

The electric hand brake is easy to use , if you need to keep the hand brake on a little while longer on a steep hill just pull the switch up , come on its easy

Submitted: 2016-02-04 | ID: 127150

Jack Wright, Cornwall

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE 2006 - 2010

Just bought a 2007 Vauxhall Meriva 1.6, comfortable, nice driving position, easy access to the boot through rear door, can't say much else, as only had the vehicle for five days,,,,,,, watch this space.

Submitted: 2015-10-19 | ID: 122499

frank lelas, North Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE SPECIAL EDITIONS 2006 - 2010

I have left my meriva into the dealership where I purchased it. the eps keeps cutting out and they say it will cost 873 pounds to fix the problem. I have warranty cover up to 500pound so I must pay the difference. can anyone tell me how to get in touch with Vauxhall as this appears to be a manufacturing fault and clearly a safety issue. I would appreciate any advice to help me persue this with Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2015-09-07 | ID: 120904

Teresa, Greater London

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE 2006 - 2010

Had same problem with flashing hazard lights, the switch inside the car wasn't flashing & I hadn't turned them on. I drove all the way home with them flashing, left them for about half an hour whilst I logged onto pc to try and find some help, saw the tips on here went out to try the tips, opened car by now the inside switch is flashing & they just turned off.!!!!!!!

Submitted: 2015-03-08 | ID: 112980

Howard James, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA DIESEL ESTATE 2010 - 2013

I have a 2011 Meriva 1.7 CTDi Exclusif. Altogether a very pleasant and roomy vehicle for its size. For a diesel, it is very smooth and quiet -even the tickover. As pensioners we bought it for the higher seating (easier to get in and out). If one has to offer a critique- 1. The front pillars can hinder visibility on corners. 2. Once used to the auto brake, I like it. 3. Although reasonably economical at 45 mpg, not as good as anticipated. 4. Gear ratios a bit odd - in town at 30 mph engine not too happy in either 3rd or 4th 5. Rarely been there but seems to get noisy above 70 mph The above are comments rather than serious criticisms - I like it!

Submitted: 2015-03-04 | ID: 112733

Ray Gunter, Portsmouth

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE SPECIAL EDITIONS 2011 - 2013

Bought the car new July 2012 (1400 active) with the 100,000 miles lifetime warrant. I have now done 16000 miles and to date the car has had NO faults. There are a few things that could be improved like the Door pilar is rather wide so so need to stop before the white line at junction and roundabouts and the engine is under powered if you have any long inclinds to negociate so buy the Turbo unless the main use is in town as there is plenty of accereration for town use. The realy good thing about the car is the cabin space. Getting in and out of the car is a real joy and once you are in the driving seat the lay out and looks are fantastic. Do not be put off by the electronic hand break it is not a concern. The rear seat area is spacious and comfitable I can not think of any complaints for the passenger area. The boot area is not quite as big as it first appears, on my model the two outer seats slide forward giving more space but the center seat does not (so I had to make my dog cage smaller). Once you have bought somethink you always think that you may have made the wrong choice and wounder about some other make but in this case I do not think that way and have not seen anthing which I rate as better (within an acceptable price range). My wife loves the driving position and the fact it has such a big car feel but can park easily. I would recommend the Meriva and only took of 1 star because I did not read the reviews which said buy the Turbo.

Submitted: 2014-08-25 | ID: 102108

PHILIP THOMAS, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Meriva MERIVA ESTATE 2010 - 2013

EXCELLENT CAR .MPG.EXCELLENT.PEOPLE WHO CAN`T HANDLE THE HANDBRAKE SHOULD`NT BE DRIVING. PLEASE READ THE OWNER`S BOOK.

Dear Mr Thomas - Try reversing up a steep incline with a wall 6 inches in front of you before you say that people who can't handle the electronic handbrake should not be driving. My colleague is an excellent driver and could easily do this manoeuvre in his Meriva Mk 1 with a manual handbrake but was unable to manage this tricky manoeuvre using the electronic handbrake - he immediately sold his Meriva Mk2 and would not recommend anyone buying one. He has now purchased a Vauxhall Mokka 1.6i with a manual handbrake. His suggestion is that Vauxhall should offer a Meriva with a manual handbrake plus a 1.6i engine option. I have been a Vauxhall Owner since the Viva HA was new and need to replace my current Meriva Mk1 but have been dissuaded in buying a Meriva Mk 2 because of the electronic handbrake and the fact that the 1.4 engine has to work too hard and will not offer a good MPG on motorway runs. My Meriva 1.6 16v Breeze at 70 miles per hour revs at just under 3000rpm so is very quiet and offers 40+ MPG on a run. - from Suffolk

Submitted: 2014-07-06 | ID: 99091

No problem at all average 55/60 mpg

Submitted: 2014-05-15 | ID: 95554

Brian Whitelegg, Kent

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

I’m disabled with severe knee arthritis and needed a car that was easy to get in and out of. I also own a large mobility scooter (Pride Deluxe), which breaks down to 3 large parts; chassis, rear axle/motor seat and 2 smaller parts. I can get the chassis, and rear axle/motor into the boot without having to put the rear seats down with the large captains seat belted onto the offside rear seat and batteries in the offside rear seat footwell. No mean feat as the scooter is a full size model, not a lightweight pavement model. The scooter is normally stored indoors for battery charging so the boot is normally empty. With the rear seats down and stowed in the flat rear position the rear is simply cavernous. The full width hatch door combined with the flat floor makes loading large objects a piece of cake. I would recommend carrying an old piece of carpet to protect the rear bumper paintwork. We recently loaded a new gas cooker in its packaging together with a months food shopping with no trouble. Driving: I was surprised how smooth and quiet the 1.4 engine is. Not the quickest car in the 0 - 60 stakes but hey, who cares with such a "use-able" car. Economy ranges from 38mpg on mixed town/ twisty country roads to 42mpg on a 70mph (and a little bit more !) motorway cruise. Absolute best has been 46mpg on a 55-60mph lane 1 motorway bimble. Try not to become a member of the "Middle Lane Owners Club" please! Vision is generally excellent, but the double "A" post causes a blind spot on the offside front three quarter which must be taken into account. It’s easy to lose a motorcyclist or pedestrian there. Problems? Only problem has been the front window activating the anti trap feature where the window automatically drops down as the glass gets tight in the upper third of the vertical runner. I’m told that this is a common fault that can be cured with the application of a smear of silicone grease in the runner. Note that I say "smear", not a damn great handful! Overall, it’s a nice car that I enjoy driving. My previous car was a Renault Laguna that had a meeting with the back end of a truck and subsequently turned into a convertible when the fire service took the roof off to rescue my wife. Going from a large family saloon to a smaller MPV was an easy step though and I have to say that I love this addition to my motoring ownership. The only reason for the 4 stars rather than 5 is the blind spot.

Submitted: 2013-11-24 | ID: 49635

Simon Millard, Devon

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

Had this car for 6 months. It has had to go in for repair many times. First it had to have a brand new turbo then the alternator went so they replaced that. It has been in and out due to warning lights. All this is not helped by the fact that my local dealer is not great. They seem to have to phone me to ask where things are on the car and they are the Vauxhall dealer! I would like to sell the car, but I will loose to much money on the thing, so I’m stuck with it. I will have to sell before the warranty ends as I just will not be able to pay for constant repair bills. This will be the last Vauxhall I ever buy.

I have a 2010 model had no problems it is serviced regular I find it best car I have had - from West Midlands

Hi all just a bit of an update. The warranty expired I had a couple of months trouble free then the air con compressor went. This was the last straw. I sold it lost approx 4k. I now have a replacement non Vauxhall car. Skint but happy. - simon millard from Devon

Submitted: 2013-11-05 | ID: 49636

Graham Moore-Roberts, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

My Meriva is 09 and has only 6000 miles on the clock, but has an intermittent fault where it will not go into gear, the A flashes and will not go in to auto or manual. Vauxhall claim there’s no fault noted with this model. The garage claim no fault codes registered in the car yet it has happened 3 times on a day I collected the car from garage after they’d had car for 3 days, but on internet forums its well known.

Submitted: 2013-06-04 | ID: 49591

Bill Hutchinson, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

I have had my Meriva since it had 5000 miles on the clock and was less than one year old. It has now done 48500 miles. All in it has been a good car. It has its faults although mostly minor, that is up to last week when the EPS light came on and the steering went heavy. I rang Vauxhall customer care and I asked if there had been a recall for this fault and they said not, nothing on their computer. I stuck at them and they then said that they would contact my nearest Vauxhall agent, which they did and within a few minutes the agent (which is JTC) made arrangements for me to take the car in for a check, which is free. The outcome is that the car needs a new steering column, which they will supply and fit free of charge and if after that they find the pump needs changing they will also do it for free. So if your Meriva needs fixing then stick at Vauxhall to do the job because it is a manufacturing fault in the first place.

Hello. We have a 1.6 Meriva auto (enjoy). It is 53 plate and has 90.000 on the clock. For 6 months we have had the EPS light on intermittently with the heavy steering, which is dangerous at times. Contacted the dealer who said that the fault is known and that I would need to bring the vehicle in for a tech2 diagnostic check before they could approach Vauxhall for some help on this known fault. Short story, car is too old now for any support on this matter. If that is the case then why did I have to spend £51 for a tech2 check when they were never going to accept anyway. I feel I’ve been conned! The car has been generally a good vehicle we have owned for 7 years now. This fault was on watchdog I understand, due to so many instances of failure. If Vauxhall had suggested a part payment I might have considered repair whilst the car was at the agents. But not a dicky bird. The charge to rectify this is £900. If I register as a service club member I will get 25% discount. Just goes to show the profit in this job! It’s ok for large companies like motability to wield the big stick with Vauxhall but the public generally are expected to pay ridiculous sums to keep their cars roadworthy. - Derek Holder from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2013-02-23 | ID: 49620

Barry Pollen, Dorset

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

We bought our car from new in March ’07. We have done nearly 30000 miles, which have been almost trouble free; the seats are a bit uncomfortable, but other than that a good car.

Submitted: 2013-02-23 | ID: 49619

Richard Handford, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I bought my car at the end of November 2010. By Jan 2011 I heard a nose from the front end so I took it back to Vauxhall who said it was the steering rack, but it would be ok. I have had two sevices and two mots in the meantime and I have taken it back to Vauxhall many times and all they keep saying is it’s wear and tear and it will be ok. I use my car a lot, I am always on the road and use it to take my parents out who are in their 80’s. It’s a good car bar from the noise.

Submitted: 2013-01-13 | ID: 49622

Zac Aynsley, Northumberland

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I’ve just bought 1.6 Meriva for my wife with 41000 on the clock. She has done 2000 miles and I have put 3 litres of oil in - there is no leak or anything it just drinks oil faster than me drinking a pint! My BMW 330 ci is cheaper to run than this 1.6 washing machine. I will be getting rid of it soon.

Submitted: 2012-11-03 | ID: 49617

Peter Saunders, Northamptonshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

Excepting for the 1.8 Cavalier this is the best car I have ever had. I have knocked off 1 star because of the lack of a spare wheel and jack and after watching last nights "Watcdog" programme the current practice of manufacterers in not supplying these (in my opinion) essentials is a big mistake. The electronic hand brake takes a few days to get used to. I like the idea of airbags in the headrests and the room in the rear of the car has to bee seen to be believed. Even the longest legged passenger would be hard pressed to complain. The 6 speed auto transmission is very smooth and responsive. For anyone like my wife and I who is getting on in years and needs a car that is easy to get in and out off this is the motor for you.

Submitted: 2012-10-25 | ID: 49618

Richard Reynolds, London

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

The visability is abysmal. The ABS reset is incredibly noisy and late in activation (two loud spring noises from the front of the vehicle). The service Manager at Vauxhall says they all do that. I asked if this it a safety issue and was told it is not. I put the car into reverse when cold, without wearing a seatbelt, the revs shot up and almost launched me into the car behind - EPB fault? I tried driving at motorway speeds with all windows shut apart from passengers front, there was so much oscilation that I could not hear the radio on 35. The throttle is sometimes there, sometimes not. I’m told there is nothing wrong because there is no light coming up on the dash. This car is not fit for purpose. I will buy German in future.

If I were you I would get real. I have same type of car, the car is great, I have no problems with it. It must be the way you drive - from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2012-10-11 | ID: 49615

Kevin Gallagher, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

This car was bought for the missus, thinking it would be good for her to run the kids about and shopping etc., but they are a death trap driving around roundabouts or pulling out of juntion. If you have one of these get a garage to check if you have a bloody stupid plastic fitting on the top of the water pump, as when these fail you lose all your water and blow the engine, as we have just found out at a cost of £1,689.65. Vauxhall knows about the problem and changed the water pump design to have it inbuilt on the pump, but rather than recalling the cars they have done nothing. I urge anyone who is thinking of buying one of these to buy something else.

I had a Meriva Design 2004 bought from Motor Point in Derby with low mileage - loved it, never had any trouble and always serviced - then a silly woman drove into me on the A14 and the insurance wrote her off. Kids called her Chloe - so much for looking after car had low low mileage and insurance paid me very little money - I wish now that I bought it back as Meriva I have now 2005 does not compare to my Design - with alloys - extra interiors lights - little extras you need when have kids - always loved that car - sorry that you do not like them but I am considering buying a new one next year!! - Sue Gordon from Leicestershire

I've got a meriva 1.4 57 plate which has now done 40k and never had problems with the water pump. My wife drives it around roundabouts like she's Colin McCrea and no issue. The only issue we have is very intermittent power steering loss but not as bad as some reported. On the whole I can fault it. - from Bristol

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 49630

Mike Griffiths, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I hired this car for my holiday in the south of France, a spacious interior is the only plus point on this car. The engine has less power than anything I’ve ever driven in my life..(please note I’ve driven a Prius!!) We regularly visit ’Les Callanques’ in Marseille and this car nearly wiped out me and my family in one fell swoop! The problem is the completely and utterly useless handbrake! It’s just a button that’s either on or off. I was going up a particularly steep winding cliff road (in 1st gear due to the extreme lack of oomph in the car) and narrowly avoided a car coming down the road. I slammed the anchors on and stalled the car. The other car gingerly drove around me without incident, but I was stuck with a sheer cliff drop 4 feet behind me and a 40% incline in front of me. Now, how do you do a hill start without a handbrake?? I tried to engage the handbrake button, but you can’t disengage it without your foot on the foot brake! The only way to avoid death was to absolutely rev the nuts of the engine, ignore the clutch smoke and inch the ’car’ forwards with the handbrake engaged. I would NEVER drive a car like that again! It’s complete and absolute sheer pants! Some things in a car can’t be modernised, as long as we drive manual cars we MUST have manually operated handbrakes! Please don’t buy/lease/rent this vehicle if you need to drive around Europe on vacation, it could kill you!

COULDN’T AGREE MORE!!! My partner has a Meriva as a mobility car. The electric hand brake disengages as soon as you raise the clutch so on any kind of slope, unless you rev the guts out of the car, you immediately roll back. Another thing we now find is the brake sticks on, makes you rev like hell to disengage it, then you shoot forwards (or back). INCREDIBLY DANGROUS. This car is NOT fit for purpose. We are changing ours, strongly recommend you all steer clear!!! - Nick Saitch from Dorset

This review has its points regarding the electronic brake, but sadly more and more manufacturers are moving this way. They make hill starts a nightmare - John Paxton from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

For a car not fit for purpose, there’s certainly a lot of happy drivers who own them. Perhaps not writting a review just because you had a bad experience and want something to rant about is the way to go. - Kevin Hamilton from Newport

Electic handbrake is a brilliant idea, only an idiot couldn't do a hill start.stop whining and learn to drive. - Dave miller from Suffolk

Submitted: 2012-08-27 | ID: 49626

Matthew Fenton, Cheshire

Vauxhall Meriva 1995

If I could give this car a nil star I would. To sum it up, it’s a dangerous car made by a company that that seems to be dragging it’s feet sorting it all out. The steering on the Meriva went heavy on a frequent and random basis; very frightening. Initially, we took advice to an independant garage about and they quoted £700+VAT. By chance, I came across the Watchdog progamme about this problem and phoned Vauxhall head office. They unethusiastically referred us to the local dealership in Crewe, Cheshire. When I phoned the dealership they initially claimed they had never come across the problem however, they offered to look at the car for £60+VAT. We took the plunge having been reassured that we would get our money back having read other online comments. A few days later the dealership looked at the car and phoned me to say that the car was not road worthy and would need new parts to the steering column. The fear of having to pay the £1000+Vat bill were laid to rest when the dealership gleefully informed us that they would pick up the bill due to it being a known problem! We were given the car back after the repairs and on the way home the steering was all wrong. The dealership booked the car in again. (Why the dealership allowed the car to leave the garage who knows?) On inspection, the dealership acknowledged there was a problem and booked the car in for further investigation, again! The car is now worse than when it first went in for repairs i.e. it won’t steer! We are now waiting for a solution from the dealership/Vauxhall. The whole episode has stripped my wife’s and my confidence in the car and in Vauxhall. Despite us not paying for the repairs to-date, it has cost us money due to us having to find alternative transport. Vauxhall and the dealership have dragged their feet on the matter (I feel sorry for those who have paid for the repairs via an independant garage). We also wonder about the quality of the replacement parts and/or workmanship of those who carried out the repairs. I guess we will get there eventually and we acknowledge cars are complicated machines however, this matter has left us jaded. Back to Honda cars for us!

Hi, I have a 04 1700cdti and it goes like stink and so did the steering shortly after I bought it - it took to wandering all over the road on a roundabout, but luckily I was in a quiet part of Northumberland with no traffic. Over the years since the steering had, on few occasions, a mind of its own and you literally had to hang on and drag it round the corner or wherever you were turning to then I was having it serviced in Berwick. I live 12 miles away and the receptionist guy who lives here took it in and the steering went with him on a roundabout. Take it to a certain Vauxhall garage said he, which I did and Vauxhall agreed to replace the steering column free of charge-hush money think you- and gladly it has been all right since. It’s noisey, room, my bum is off the floor but comfy and as I say goes like stink especially with "Continental tyres". Shame you can only do 60 on the Scottish borders roads. Until you get it sorted switch the engine off then back on again and it sorts the loss of steering power out. Good luck! - John Robson from Berwickshire

Yes, I had a Meriva 2004 and steering went heavy - drove home called RAC and it had corrected itself - very strange sure only did it once was very scary but did not ditch my car still loved her same - Sue Gordon from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2012-08-11 | ID: 49623

Len Bell, Cheshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

I have done 2500 trouble free miles and I’m really pleased with the car. I got a great pre-reg buy with 9 miles on the clock. It has very easy access, both front and back, but I’m not sure about there being no spare wheel as I may tour Scotland. Buy one!!

Submitted: 2012-06-02 | ID: 49634

Simon Whitehurst, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

What can I say? Outstanding car! It’s the 1.4 petrol 140 ps. I’ve had it for just over a month and have yet to find fault with it, apart from some idiot dented the door while opening his! (if only i was there.) At a 5 star safety rating you know your in a safe car, this car is made for comfort and room which is handy if you travel a lot! I can honestly say those who don’t like the electric hand-break must be doing it wrong or something, personally I think every car should be equipped with it which is probably why Vauxhall has made it standard across all new Vauxhall cars! So if you are thinking of getting one I recommend it! And @ people who are reviewing and they don’t own one - that’s just silly and outrageous, those reviews should be removed!

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 49632

Steve Summerill, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

While this diesel version is not to bad on fuel I have found so far, owning it for only one year, that it is not as reliable as I hoped it would be. After taking this car on its maiden trip it broke down with only 203 mls on the clock. This meant the car had to be recovered to a dealership for repair. This was sorted, but it took about ten days. Afterwards, during the course of the year I experienced a few unexplained annoying problems. After the car had done only 4220 mls the oil change light came on. After this at about 4350 mls it broke down once again (blown fuse (fuel pump)) and had to be taken into the garage once again. The diagnostic test revealed nothing, so I await the next breakdown. I am not confident I can rely on this car. The most annoying problem I have is the braking can be very fierce at times.

Submitted: 2012-04-11 | ID: 49633

Andrew Davies, Surrey

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I guess you get what you pay for. Got this car in December 2012 for £8,250, so 15 months old, 10k lower than a new one. Since then I have had the horn replaced because that broke, and now it’s gone back to have the fuse board replaced because, I quote the dealer "you seem quite lucky, the worst that could of happened is that it caught fire". Thank got for the AA. Other than the problems I’m happy. I get on average 40mpg, not bad for a large car with a small engine. It’s comfortable, seems quite well built for the money and it looks great. Plus the whole family fits (2 adults one baby and a pug). So in summary: Good car, I just hope the few electrical problems I have are just that and no more. You can’t get much better for the money.

Submitted: 2012-03-16 | ID: 49592

Graham Chandler, Suffolk

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

My wife bought her when she was 6 months old and had a new steering rack plus steering motor fitted under warranty at Marshalls, Ipswich, who were fantastic (we bought the car from Thurlow Nunn in Diss). The car is as reliable as any Honda and apart from services, tyres and windscreen wipers she has cost us nothing in 60k miles. The engine could do with a bit more shove and the visibility on right hand bends and roundabouts is a bit hairy, but you get use to it. The car has a good seating position is fairly comfortable on a long run and is so versatile. Would I buy another? Yes! Without a doubt. What you see is what you get. All in all a good little barrow that costs peanuts to run.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 49593

James Sugden, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

The body panel is out of line. The petrol consumption is appalling at 30% less than advertised; I bought this car for its advertised economy, but it is worse than my old 1.6 zafira. Having decided to change the car I find in eight months it has dropped £8,000. I will never consider another vauxhall.

Try using another garage, I get different mileages from different garages and Tesco is the worst, my car does about 40 to 55 depending where I buy my petrol - Tommy Moore from Durham

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 49594

Tony Nelson, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

The car is comfortable, but the visability is not great and fuel consumption is abysmal. My biggest gripe is the parking brake. I have found that if the car is in neutral and you rev the car over 1100 RPM when depressing the clutch then the handbake releases. This is not safe, but the dealers say it is normal. This parking brake is not fit for purpose!

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 49596

Andrew Gill, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I bought my Meriva 4 years ago and for the first 2 years it was great. In the last 2 years it has been problem after problem. First the ECU went, which was very very expensive to fix. Next the front shock absorbers went and now the engine management light has come on. I have taken it in for a diagnositic check only to find out No.3 cylinder has no compression. This, I have been told, could cost me a grand!! I am not happy with this car and would never touch a Vauxhall again, I would rather catch the bus!!

Submitted: 2012-01-25 | ID: 49600

Maria Davies, Devon

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I do not yet have a problem with the steering, but I am having problems with the notorious blind spot and windsreen wiper on the driver’s side. It does not clear the whole screen and further obstructs my vision. I am having to lean forward and follow the road round to keep myself and pedestrians safe. I too had a near miss driving in the snow because the wiper does not completely clean the windscreen. I have parked it and I’m desperately looking for a buyer.

The wiper problem is down to cheapskate GM fitting left drive pattern wipers to right drive cars. Quite a common problem across the industry. You may be able to refit the arms on the splines to gain an extra inch of wipe, but make sure they don’t hit each other and that the left blade does clear the screen rubber - John Worby from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2012-01-24 | ID: 49598

Tina Nelson, Kent

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

This car is an absolute disaster. Please test drive this car in dry, wet and snowy weather before purchasing it. The thick pillars on either sides disrupts periferal vision. The right windscreen on the right stops 4-5 ins from the edge therefore a film of water/snow forms, further obstructing the driver’s vision. On many occasions I have had to get out of the car and use a squeegee to clear the windscreen. I have had two near accidents due to the notorious blind spot and I cannot wait to sell this car.I have been told that the windscreen wiper was designed not to clear the whole windscreen and has passed safety checks. Is anyone else having a problem with their wipers? Can we all send a petition to Vauxhall?

Submitted: 2012-01-24 | ID: 49597

Paul, Kent

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I have now owned this car, a Meriva B for just 7 weeks. When purchased it was just under one year old and had covered only 11400 miles. Pros: The doors are great and open to 90 degrees. They auto lock once you are traveling above 2mph. The six speed auto box is very smooth and being able to change manually is handy. The cabin area and instruments are well laid out and it feels a nice place to be. The moonroof makes the interior feel even bigger. The engine pulls smoothly and has plenty of torque. There is much more legroom for two rear passengers than previous models. Cons: The speedo seems to be more than the legal 10% above your actual speed. We have to travel at an indicated 79mph to be doing 70mph.(If the speed is miles out then surely the trip meter is wrong as well?) The computer states we are averaging over 40mpg but when refuelling I calculated 33.8mpg. The center console is a bit of a pain as it restricts the feet of any center rear passenger. No spare wheel; I bought a spare wheel, but cannot get a tyre as the manufacturers do not have any. My main gripe is fuel consumption and yes I know it’s an auto but 34mpg from a modern diesel engine is abysmal. Most of our driving is urban I would not even like to think how low the mpg would drop driving in town.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 49601

Gerald Minshull, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

I had a Meriva before and the latest model is a vast improvement on the last one. I am extremely happy with the SE and found it very comfortable compared to the previous model. It takes a few minutes to get to know the various switches etc, but it is very stylish and a joy to drive. I am particulary impressed with the parking warning signs, it is a little larger than the older model and it is a lot better for it. Overall I cannot find any faults whatsover and I am very happy with it.

Submitted: 2011-09-20 | ID: 49602

William Rance, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

I read the reports, read the reviews, stuck with my gut feelings and placed my order. Sixteen weeks later I got my car. I got the dealer to fit mud flaps and colour coded side door protectors; they make the difference. I have had the car two months. The biggest puzzle? What planet are the professional motor critics sitting on? If I had taken any notice of those people I would never have bought this lovely car. Its comfort, build quality and especially its performance surpass all my expectations. Somehow, I get the feeling those critics have never heard of using third gear to reach the higher plateau (probably stuck in Fifth or even Top Gear for that matter). What choice petrol or diesel? For urban miles and occasional motorway work - petrol. For high mile motorway work - diesel. My previous 4 cars; lovely Zafiras. My Meriva B? Icing on the Vauxhall Cake.

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 49614

Lucy, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I’ve just bought a Meriva and thought I was getting a bargain when I saw it had 12 mths mot on it. Ha ha! What a joke. I’ve had it just a week and the EPS light has appeared, with loss of steering. By reading previous reviews this appears to be a common problem. I didn’t buy it from Vauxhall, but it’s booked in for a free diagnostics and if a certain error code appears, they are going to repair the problem for free, so I’m playing a waiting game at the moment. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel, but it’s put me off the car completely.

Yes, this fault was made public on Watchdog or similar. Potentially dangerous fault, with some crashes reported but Vauxhall didn’t do recall. However, I have an ’05 Meriva and checked with local dealer, who identified it was one of the models affected. New parts were fitted free of charge with no problems, no hassle, within a couple of weeks, so hopefully you’ll be okay. The Meriva is still a great car but mine’s suffered front suspension, tracking, alignment problems. Otherwise a great workhorse - Keith Arksey from Northumberland

Yes, it was one of the models affected and I have had all new fitted for free, I now have a continuous problem with engine management light, and it only fires on three when this happens, but it’s always the same spark plug. What causes this? - from England

Submitted: 2011-08-16 | ID: 49605

Chas, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

A great little car, although I do have a few complaints: The radio comes on automatically when the ignition is turned on, there is no indication light on dash to show side/headlights are on and is now starting to get problems with E.P.S, which seems to be an expensive problem to correct (£500).

There was a steering fault reported a while ago on Watchdog or similar, potentially dangerous fault on power steering. It could fail without warning. I contacted my local dealer who organised a replacement without fuss and without cost. New parts fitted within a couple of weeks of calling them - Keith Arksey from Northumberland

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 49603

Paula Tome, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

I’ve just rented this car and I must say I find it very bad usability wise. The electric break is bizarre and makes me feel unsafe, the dashborad is a mess, the gears don’t work too well and the great door system does not compensate for any of that. Plus I have to duck down to see the traffic lights. Glad I will only have to drive the thing for a week. I hope to be able to return it in one piece and never to see another one of these again.

My parents have just bought the new Meriva, I loved the suicide doors, but the parking brake is awful. What were Vauxhall thinking?! I was going to drive it but when I saw the problems my dad has driving this nightmare with the silly braking system, I said "no way". It does not feel secure enough for me, give me an old fashioned brake any day. The upside is that it’s great on fuel, just depends on if you like driving a bus - from Sussex

Submitted: 2011-08-08 | ID: 49608

Karen, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

I bought a second-hand Meriva from my local Vauxhall dealer. It’s a 2006 Plate. I’ve had it 2yrs now and recently had a problem with my power steering. I was told by the service centre at Vauxhall that it’s a problem with the Meriva of that year but reading what others have written this isn’t the case. It’s dangerious. I was driving round town when mine went; what if you were driving on a busy motorway? Even though my car has had a new steering system I have lost all confidence in driving my car. Lucky for me my car was covered under warranty, not everyone is that lucky. I intend to change my car and it won’t be a Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 49613

William, Essex

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

This car has some very good points, plenty of space etc., but the electric handbreak, initially, was badly adjusted; safe hill starts were impossible, without ’heal and toe’ footwork. Vauxhall must have taken leave of their senses to fit a clutch which needs a 20kg (44Lbs) push, and operates at the top of its travel; a new one was fitted after 1300 miles, with a marginally lower bite point, but still very heavy. The engine, at 130ps, has plenty of power, and tows a light caravan without blinking. The dashboard is hopeless; the radio controls take preference over heating, AC etc.etc.; the controls aren’t tactile, and the tiny white on black lettering is ridiculous. The speedo is barely legal, to achieve 70mph needs 77-78 mph on the clock. If you complain to Vauxhall you’ll get nowhere, their customer service people work to their scripts and suggest all problems relate, not to the car, but to the driver. This is our 5th Vauxhall and it’s certainly the last. Vauxhall have tried to do something good, with loads of bells and whistles, especially traction and cruise control, but haven’t paid enough attention to the fine details; even the handbook has some glaring errors in it; perhaps I shouldn’t have read it.

I would agree with you on the customer service or lack thereof. We have a Meriva, which as and when it feels like, loses its power steering usually when you’re half way round a busy roundabout! Quoted around £1,000 to fix. Vauxhall are well aware that it’s a manufacturing fault but will not recall as apparently the car is still driveable and they don’t see it as a safety issue! When my poor wife suddenly loses the ability to steer her car whilst driving, I would say that’s a safety issue! Vauxhall, I would never buy another one either! - N Diack from Wales

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 49610

Fiona Downer, Hampshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

A good little car. I’ve had mine 2 years and have driven to my daughter’s in Scotland in it. It’s good on petrol and I love it.

Submitted: 2011-07-27 | ID: 49612

John Jenkins, Oxfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I have finally just sold my Vauxhall Meriva..phew! As other reviewers have stated, the steering kept switching off and the only way you could sometimes fix it was to switch off the engine and restart it. The amount of scary moments I have had driving it when you can’t turn the wheel, the worst was on a roundabout! Add to that it always kept veering slightly to the left (yes the tracking was checked). The other design ’fault’ is the mpg, I just can’t work out how a 1.6 8v vehicle was only getting 27mpg!!! It was costing a fortune to fill it up, and yes 2 garages checked it out and there was no leak or problem... apart from the design! Put it this way, I have just upgraded to pure luxury in a Chrysler Grand Voyager, which is massive with electric sliding doors and boot, a dvd player with a screen in the back with wireless headphones. Heated leather seats, heated electric folding mirrors, 6 cd/dvd changer and another slot for 1 more cd in the sat nav. Dual zone a/c, cruise control. Seats in the front and middle row with arm rests, and all the seats fold into the floor easily with loads and loads of room, etc. It weighs over 2 tons and is bigger than most parking spots yet does more mpg than the tiddly Meriva I used to run about in. It just doesn’t make sense. I pity the fool who purchases the car from the dealer as it’s an expensive to run death trap that should have been recalled.

Submitted: 2011-07-18 | ID: 49589

Anthony Palmer, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

I’m disappointed that there is no jack brace or spare wheel supplied. Otherwise this car is quite good and quiet running.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 49590

Steve Summerhill, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

I have given this "NEW" car just 3 stars so far. I bought this car brand new with just 6 miles on the clock. I am going to call it "TITANIC", if I keep it. On its maiden journey, only 1 day before we were due to go to the south coast for a week’s holiday, on a return journey from Morton in Marsh, the engine just stopped. This happened at 2:30PM, at 12:00 Friday midnight, we were finally towed into the dealers garage in Bristol from where we bought it. This happened about 10 days after buying it with only 203 miles on the clock. The dealer who suplied the car loaned me a replacement and then a second one and maybe there will be a third, but at this stage a week after they attempted to rectify the fault, it has still not returned it to me. They say its to do with the electrics, on the injection system, awaiting spares from the planet Mars considering the time it is taking.

Did your Meriva get repaired? I have a new 11 plate Meriva and the same thing has happened to mine, causing a three car pile up. Awaiting to see what Vauxhall are going to do about it - C S from Wales

I have the meriva 14i exclusiv why are people moaning about the electric handbrake , you find the clutch biting point like an ordinary car and pull away nothing could be easier , I find the car nice to drive with lots of comfort ,the only downside is the power , could have done with the turbo version but I can live with it . - from Darlington

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 49553

Sue Austin, Dorset

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I have had a steering problem with my 53 plate Meriva; intermittant loss of steering. I took it to a Vauxhall specialist and they quoted me £1500+ steering column and motor! I couldnt afford it so decided to do some research on the internet and found it was a common manufacturing fault so rang Vauxhall head office who told me I had to ring Vauxhall customer services. I spoke to a polite gentleman who told me I had to book my car into a Vauxhall main dealer and would have to pay for the diagnostic test, if the result was a manufacturing fault then they would repair it free of charge! Which I have done and yes it was a manufacturing fault so I am now waiting for Vauxhall to ring me when they have ordered the parts and will book the car in to be fixed. I am very relieved otherwise I would have a car with a MOT failure, which I wouldn’t be able to afford to pay for it to be fixed and left with a car that was worth less than the cost of the repairs!

I have just had the steering column replaced F.O.C. Seems okay at the moment. Fingers crossed - from England

Submitted: 2011-05-16 | ID: 49551

Wallace Mayfield, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Rented one of these and felt strongly about it, keen to share with others who might look to be buying. Used this fairly heavily for a week. Plus points: Spacious and light with good rear visibility, good smooth gearbox and easy displays. Loads of space inside. Nice skylight roof. Minus points: Annoying, fiddly unlock mechanism for keyfob and tailgate drove me mad. Pointless electric handbrake a step back from manual in every way. Flashy light on dash every time electrics think I need to change gear. Gutless engine, cant see how it would cope on an incline with fitted cruise control. This would have to be a cheap buy to make it worthwhile. Gimmick rear doors don’t amend for gaping weaknesses.

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 49555

Joanna Porter, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I think that the Meriva looks great but it’s a whole different matter driving one. I have had the car a year now and can’t wait to get rid of it. It lacks power, it’s noisey, feels quite tinny like it needs to grow a back bone!!! On the plus side the space is great inside, it’s just a shame that Vauxhall didn’t put more thinking power in to the engine and mechanical workings of the vehicle. Vehicle cut out on me twice on the motorway with a car full of small children ...had the problem fixed free of charge but only because my Husband threw the keys at the dealer and was prepared to walk away from it and leave it there!! My advice...NEVER BUY ONE...go for a good old reliable Ford!!!

Submitted: 2011-03-09 | ID: 49556

Mike Jennings, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Just got the car as a replacement for a crashed Fiat. I am 6’5" and space is often a problem for me - but not in the Meriva. Both my wife and I (and our four kids) are surprised how Vauxhall have managed to squeeze so much space out of what is a small car. Our other car is a Grand Espace so we are used to BIG, but the Meriva can hold its own without any problem. If I had to think of negatives, then the 1.4 engine is a bit weak and it really needs a 6th gear.... Good range of vision, nice driving position, ok fuel economy, good build quality, and the kids love the almost black tinted windows.

Submitted: 2011-02-03 | ID: 49557

Linda Jermin, Kent

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

I own a 55 Reg Vauxhall Meriva. It was fine until a few months ago. I had a problem with my steering column. It would lose the PAS even sometimes on roundabouts. The Merivas had not been recalled by Vauxhall, but it seems is a common problem. A friend of mine had the same problem. I saw it mentioned on Watchdog and contacted the telephone number they gave. I had the problem sorted out no problem by a Vauxhall dealer near my home. Free of charge. Since then, I have had the Cam Shaft loosen and I have been told by another garage that I am lucky it did not do more damage to the engine. I did a search online and it seems this is also a common problem although the Meriva is not being recalled by Vauxhall. Apparantly Vauxhall are not helping customers as a rule with this financially, which I do not understand as they fixed my steering problem. Surely this is a dangerous fault and should be recalled?

I have a 55 plate Meriva and have experienced exactly the same problem. My camshaft bolt snapped and three days later, I received a recall letter. This is obviously a big issue. Has anyone else had the same problem? - from Lanarkshire

Hi, can you tell me when your Meriva was recalled? When you took the car in over the EPS fault, did they rectify that free of charge? - David Morton from England

I have had my Meriva eight months (second hand) and have experienced the intermitten loss of power steering. It has done it quite a few times. I have to turn the engine off and on again. It normally fixes it but I have had a quote from a Vauxhall specialist to replace the steering column, steering motor and control unit. Including labour, the total cost was £1576.20! I have just got off the phone to Vauxhall’s customer service centre and they have told me to take it to a Vauxhall main dealer and I have to pay for another diagnostic test (£48) and if it’s the manufacturing fault that they know about they will fix it free of charge. My car’s booked in next Tuesday so I will update you on what happens Vauxhall know about this fault and its an MOT failure due to safety, so why are they not recalling ALL vauxhall Merivas with this problem and fixing them? Well, fingers crossed... - Sue Austin from Dorset

Hi Linda, thank you for posting your fault. My wife has just purchased a 2004 Meriva as a runaround and the steering locked on her. This really shook her up but I’m just glad she wasn’t on a roundabout, only had it one day. The garage has agreed to send it for a diagnostic test, just waiting for them to get back to us. I will let you know the outcome - Garry Mortimer from Yorkshire

My 55 plate Meriva was bought with a couple of hundred miles on the clock. To date, it has only got approx 30,000 miles on the clock. Up to now, it’s needed a new camshaft-broke clean in two and suffered total loss of power on the motorway with my two children in the rear seats. Extremely scary! I contacted Vauxhall customer services who didn’t want to know and wrote a letter to which I received no reply. Yesterday my fan came on and the temperature gauge soared - the water tank was bone dry but not an external leak so now have it booked into be looked at, possible head gasket gone so I have been informed! My bills have totalled over £2,000 and I would never touch again with a barge pole! - Jo Askew from England

I too have a 55 plate 1.4 meriva, had the camshaft snap in half which vauxhall paid 70 percent, leaving me with £300 to pay! Now eps failed, vauxhall was brilliant with this and footed the £900 bill completely without kicking up a fuss! Car is booked in 2 days later due to indicator not cancelling since they fitted new steering column, more problems, begs the question why no recall!!! - craig jenkins from West Midlands

HI GARRY, I KNOW IT IS A WHILE AGO BUT I HOPE YOU GOT YOUR MERIVA SORTED OUT. I DID....... I SOLD MINE 8 WEEKS AGO AND IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE IN AGES. FROM THE PROBLEMS I WROTE ABOUT ABOVE TO 8 WEEKS AGO, I DID NOTHING BUT SPEND MONEY ON THAT CAR. THE ONLY CAR I HAVE EVER HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH. BUT I AM GLAD IT HAS GONE AND AGAIN THAT IS THE FIRST CAR I HAVE NOT BEEN SORRY TO SEE GO ! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH YOURS. SELL IT IF YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO DO SO. - from Kent

Hi Garry, I know it is a while ago, and I hope you got your Meriva sorted out. I Did....... I sold mine 8 weeks ago and it is the best thing I have done in ages. From the problems I wrote about above to 8 weeks ago, I did nothing but spend money on that car. The only car I have had so much trouble with. But I am glad it has gone and that is the first car I have not been sorry to see go ! Good luck everyone with yours. Sell it if you are in a position to do so. It is worry free motoring when you do. - from Kent

Submitted: 2011-01-04 | ID: 49560

Simon Barnes, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

Eps system is continually cutting out, definitely a manufacturing fault. I would not buy again.

Have you reported this to Watchdog? After reading your review and comments from other people, it seems quite a valid reason to report. I have just bought the same model too, and have written to Watchdog. The problem has not affected me yet but want to be safe - Noreen Salman from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2011-01-03 | ID: 49558

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I have just got a 08 1.4 Meriva to replace the 1.6 8 valve. I had and the fuel consumption is 42/49 mpg, better than the 30/35 I was getting.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 49567

Robert Talbot, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

A very versatile vehicle which converts easily from car to van by folding the rear seats down, ideal for a family where DIY is of interest and bulky items need to be transported. Also, great for when we tour Scotland and need to take food supplies to remote locations. A comfortable ride and, with the 1.6 petrol engine it is reasonable lively for this type of vehicle. Downsides are the thick A post which you have to look round when making sharp turns. I also understand that the steering column switch which controls the power steering can fail at approx 40,000 miles (but I have paid for an extra 2 years Vauxhall warrantee - just in case). I would definitely buy this model again.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 49566

John Wilson, Oxfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

This is my 3rd Meriva and I have been very happy with all of them. All cars were brand new, I only kept them about 2 Years.

Submitted: 2010-12-18 | ID: 49568

Tracy Leigh, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I bought my Meriva 2 years ago, and a couple of months after it starting stalling and juddering when driving, took it back to the dealer and he replaced a part and fault gone. Now 2 years later the same fault is back, took it to my local garage they say its the EGR valve; it’s been back twice for them to reset it with their computer. They expect it to go again. Upon reading stories it appears there is a fault with the ECU software. It appears this happens to a lot to Vauxhall cars and so I would not recommend buying this car.

Submitted: 2010-11-13 | ID: 49569

Graham Thomas, France

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Sluggish performer in larger diesel - god knows what the smaller one is like. Pull? Skin & rice pudding come to mind! I can’t believe anyone would design a car with suicide doors. They went out with the ark! Dashboard needs sorting. Driving position OK & roadholding quite good. But, oh, those rear doors ! I’ll never buy another!

Submitted: 2010-11-06 | ID: 49572

George Perren, Middlesex

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

Powered steering has come out of action twice whilst driving and having to turn sharply. Almost impossible to steer when out of action. TV criticsized this action on many cars. BIG PROBLEM when driven by elderly persons. Is there a recall for modernisation or replacement? Would not recommend to any body because I consider it a very dangerous situation whilst driving and power steering comes out. I found by switching electrics OFF for two minutes power comes back on. Not very good on motorways. Have taken to a Vauxhall Garage and they have stated "Nothing to worry about, just stop and switch off your engine fo two minutes then it woks again" What are you comments on this situation, when you suddenly have no power steering and struggle to steer for stopping purposes whilst in traffic?

My daughter’s Meriva has same prob, spoke to watchdog team and they said the first step is to take it to a main dealer and have it tested?? Thing is it’s an intermittent fault so what will this achieve? - Alan Hare from England

Submitted: 2010-10-04 | ID: 49570

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Stride easily into the new Meriva and settle yourself - commandingly - in the driving seat. At the helm it feels cosy and manageable, but there is enough airy, comfortably spacious room to shame the plushest of cars in a class above: just normal curves and context and no bio cuddly excesses in a cabin that is so intelligently fashioned. From the outset you’re aware that this is a solidly constructed car with real depth of quality. With the Meriva, Vauxhall has broken new ground in space efficiency with interior packaging that offers enough permutations of transformability to confuse an Enigma Machine. And yet the class-leading inner space is matched with compact external dimensions in a particularly elegant and refined form, which is so much more attractive than the old ’boxy shape’ model. This combination of function and flair has been taken to new levels, defining a fresh perspective in logical rational car design and embodying key features such as rearward opening back doors just like your neighbour’s Rolls Royce - and all doors open to nearly ninety degrees. It’s the Flex Door System according to Vauxhall - which matches the Flex Rail System for the centre console. There’s probably even a Flex Biceps System too - but readers will be reassured to know that the new Meriva is simply - ’flexible’. Entry into and egress from the new Meriva just has to be the easiest of all cars. There’s even a grab handle on the B pillar to aid the process of easing yourself out if you’re not very flexible. My game warden pal on holiday from the Serengeti National Park assures me that, in his professional opinion, an inflexible hippopotamus in a state of rigor mortis could be gracefully eased aboard. ’Aha! The old ’suicide doors’, just like in the gangster movies when they pushed the ’stiff ’ out at speed. I wouldn’t put granny in the back of one of those!’. I hear you say. Well, I’m pleased to be able to reassure you that all is well, because you can’t open them at anything more than 2mph. - so if you need to bail out in a hurry, you’ll just have to slow down. Out on the road the driving experience is a good one. It’s not meant to be a drivers delight but by and large it’s an endearing car you can trust with friendly handling and good grip combined with a pliant ride - offering a complete feeling of reassurance and charming manners. A choice from petrol engines of 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 - or diesels of 1.3 or 1.7 and prices ranging from £12,995 to nearly £20,000 means that there should be a Meriva to suit most needs. Probably the most popular will be the 120bhp 1.4 petrol turbo tested here. A singular pleasure is the way the little engine is flexible - but it’s no greyhound. It gathers speed respectably enough all the way to a top speed of about 117mph but the rather slow and heavy gear change makes you realise that performance considerations have not been at the top of the agenda: this is definitely a family car. Well designed, well constructed and - well - expensive, the new Meriva is light years ahead of the previous model - which is probably why the price is stratospheric.

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 49573

Dave Reed, Somerset

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

I’ve had my ’old’ Meriva since new and - touch wood- its been a good workhorse, humping stuff here and there, which is what I bought it for. It’s just sailed through its 3rd MOT. Whilst at the garage I tested the NEW Meriva. Won’t be getting it though...biggest shock.NO HANDBRAKE! Call me old-fashioned but having a gaping hole where the handbrack used to be just for the gimicky sake of extra storage is mad.

Submitted: 2010-08-19 | ID: 49574

Tricia, Dorset

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

I bought this Vauxhall Meriva in March this year, 30.000 on the clock and have done very little mileage since owning it. Had to take a trip up north a few days ago, 3/4 hr into journey, the engine stopped, temp guage wasn’t showing hot. Pulled over, saw steam/smoke coming from under the bonnet. Opened bonnet and things seemed pretty hot under there. Roadside recovery came out, he pointed out the water res’ was empty, although I had topped it up that morning before the trip. He then followed the hose around and pointed out that it had popped off. The jublie clip that is supposed to hold the end of the hose in place, was half way down the hose. It looked like it had been there a while, bit rusty and when he moved it to where it was supposed to have been, there was an indentation in the hose. Today I have been told that there is water in the cylinder head? I went on to speak about the findings of the hose and was told it doesn’t matter where the jublie clip is placed. This can’t be right surely - if the clip had been in the correct place, it wouldn’t have popped off the way it did and water would not have gone everywhere? My car has warranty, 12 months when purchased in March, cover £600. Now this car had a full service when purchased, surely hoses are checked??

Submitted: 2010-08-13 | ID: 49579

Nicholas John Smith, Northamptonshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

My 2006 Meriva 1.7cdti has just let me down. Just done 50,000 miles and seemed to be going well. But today the steering packed up and the E.P.S. light came on. How dangerous is that??? I managed to get the vehicle to the local main Dealer (You could almost see the service manager rubbing his hands with glee....) and I had to leave it with them. Since reading all the comments on the web it seems that this is a very common fault/design fault? I believe that the bill could be as much as £2000 so I am not amused. This appears to be a well known fault with Meriva models BUT Vauxhall do not want to acknowledge they have a poor car. As a retired Police Traffic Officer I think that Vauxhall KNOW they have a problem with the E.P.S. and should deal with it. Issue the recall and keep all the Vauxhall drivers happy or you could find that no one buys your cars anymore!!!!!

I also have problems with my steering and my e.p.s light coming on the other day this happened on a very sharp left hand bend the steering went solid and I just managed to control the car. I don’t know how they can get away with this obvious problem? I will never own another Vauxhall!!!! - Stewart Cox from Essex

After going through the same problems with my ESP light and engine management light, I decided enough is enough, I’m taking no more risks and I’ve part exed my car for Ford. I can now top up my own steering fluids check my brake fluid and hopefully have worry free driving without all the electrical gadgets that controls or more to the point don’t control Vauxhalls. I would never recommend Vauxhall aftercare, they claim there are no codes registered in the car and if they agree to fix your issues my god at a cost, that cost was my difference for part exing - Clarissa Jones from Caerphilly

The EPS on our 04 Meriva 1.7 cdi also has this fault. It will go fine for months with no problem then suddenly go. Yesterday it was a nightmare as we were driving on the motorway in France and it just kept dropping out every few miles. It’s all very well saying turn it off for 2 minutes but their motorways don’t have hard shoulders like ours so it was a case of plodding on in the hope of finding a safe place to stop. Is it just on the diesel or is it just this year as my daughters 06 1.4 petrol has, touch wood, never had the problem? She won’t drive ours anymore as it happened when she was driving and frightened the life out of her. Why won’t Vauxhall admit it is their fault and fix it? - Val Hughes from London

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 49575

Carolyn Osgood, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

Have had this car from new and love it, it does everything I want from a car except... At nearly 3 years old and very low mileage the steering column needed replacing, luckily under warranty, as it was rattling at low speeds. In fact it sounded like the wheels were going to drop off. 6 months later familiar noise back again, needed a new steering rack and track rods - guess what? Vauxhall didn’t want to know, garage eventually went 50/50 with me after a fight. Now 11 months later I am told the familiar rattling is yet another steering column needing replacing, another £900. Accordingly to Vauxhall it is because I have to drive over speed bumps - well hello, who doesn’t? I can’t get within a mile of my house without going over some and no I am not stupid on them. Surely trading standards should have something to say about a car not built for purpose - who can avoid humps nowadays? Garage tell me it is not a constant problem on Merivas - the websites tell me otherwise. Surely they must have changed the steering on the new model but no one can tell me that Vauxhall seem to be holding those cards very close to their chests interestingly enough. Would I buy another one - yes I would but only if someone can actually truthfully answer that question. Love the car, hate their lies and complete lack of integrity about the issues.

Forgot to add - still not even got to 21,500 miles on it!! - Carolyn Osgood from England

Hi, yes I had a 55 reg and all the same problems. I have a 07 reg now - all the problems are gone - from Sussex

Mine is a 08 with 9000 miles on. I heard a noise - it was the steering rack. Vauxhall fixed it straight away. I am pleased and love the car but there is no aux in it. It is a Meriva Design 1.4 - Steven Batty from Yorkshire

I learned to drive in a Vauxhall and rated them highly; 2 of my cars have been Vauxhall. Although I am highly disappointed with them now. I bought a 2003 Meriva 1.6 in March. Got it for £2600 with part-ex and thought I’d bought a bargain! However, I am never going back to the dealer again (Budget Cars, Spalding) as his after-sales care is rubbish. I got 3 months AA warranty free but of course, as soon as the problems started (within a week of buying the car!) the dealer wouldn’t touch it as ’the problems weren’t covered by the warranty’. Like a lot of people on here it seems, I have a problem with the steering - whenever I am parking, the steering wheel goes incredibly stiff and jerks in my hand - as though it’s playing tug of war with me - and the EPS light comes on. After stopping and starting the car the problem goes away, until next time I try to turn a lot. A couple of times the EPS light has come on out of the blue resulting in me not being able to steer. Scary! Luckily on both occasions I have been able to pull over safely in order to restart but I don’t feel safe driving it anymore. Went to a garage today and he told me about the common problem with the steering column, and something about an angle sensor I think he said. Going to cost me in the region of £500!! My mechanic has suggested that I get in touch with Vauxhall to see if they’ll help me out financially - with it being such a common problem. I doubt it but it’s worth a try... There are other problems - Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve needs replacing, clutch needs replacing and there’s an issue with the locking mechanism. I’m tempted to get onto watchdog or trading standards about the steering problem - needs sorting before Vauxhall kills someone! - from Lincolnshire

OMG! OMG! it sounds like you own my car! Everything you explain is exact and wait for it... a new clutch for mine is about 700 pound!!! I think we have all been mugged! - Stewart Cox from Essex

Luckily we bought the 5 year maintenance protection with ours, I thought it was just me with this problem but just seen that Watchdog are featuring it. I tried to move out the way of an oncoming vehicle quickly and the steering just went, luckily we missed, if I turn the ignition off and on it works. We took to Vauxhall, they replaced the steering rack, when I asked how it happened on a car that’s only done 36000 miles they said holes in road due to snow fall and speed humps. Going to take our car back to Vauxhall before warranty runs out I think - Cheryl Hill from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 49580

Alan Picton, Northumberland

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Don’t know about the NEW Meriva but let’s hope Vauxhall have sorted out the power steering problem found in some previous models. My daughter bought a 2004 17CDTi model which sporadically looses it’s power steering when driving. Vauxhall will not contribute to the cost of replacing the faulty motor, which they have quoted at over £1200. Nice one Vauxhall, none of my family will ever buy a Vauxhall again.

They were on watchdog and are now replacing steering column, give them a ring on 08450902044 - Adele Tagg from England

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 49587

Maureen Smiley, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

I bought my Meriva 1.6 Design from Park’s of Dreghorn. I lost power steering on 2 occasions almost immediately in the first month after purchase, which almost killed me. The second time thankfully my children were not in the car at the time!. I was offered a like for like swap but the offers were nowhere near a like for like. I complained to the finance company who sent out a DEKRA engineer who said there was no problem. I am now experiencing problems again 8 months on, over/under steering going round corners/roundabouts and tugging at the wheel whilst sitting idle. I have always sang Vauxhall’s praise due to owning a few cavaliers in the past but i would NEVER EVER recommend them to anyone now. I have never felt so unsafe in a car in my 20 years driving. Very disappointing!

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 49526

Simon, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I haven’t bought one of these cars. I’ve just seen the advert, which focusses on features such as the front-opening rear doors. Bearing this in mind, picture what is likely to happen the next time your kids sit in the back and don’t close the door properly...

Been Driving one for a week, and ref the doors... As soon as you drive off, there is an alarm that sounds if any of the doors are not shut properly. As soon as the car hits 2mph the doors lock. My big dislike is the stupid handbrake (lack of) Uses an electronic push button affair - from England

Submitted: 2010-06-18 | ID: 49527

Ann Becker, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

I bought a second hand Meriva. It was lovely for three months then it started to go wrong the emissions light came on, kept taking it back to the dealer Archy Moss, this went on for 9 months and as there was a year’s warranty thought that would fix the prob. No chance. At the end of the year they said I had run out of time and that I needed a new ECU at the cost to me £920 + vat, no way so then took it to another Vauxhall garage and they said it was not the ECU but was not sure what it was. I have taken it to another garage and they now tell me after having it tested and paying £50 pound each time on their machine that is what is wrong with my car is it needs the turbo boost replacing, so now its not the ECU the Baromectric pressure sensor, boot pressure sensor...so hang on then, what is it? By now this could have cost me 3 Grand if I had replaced all that they had said and it would still not be working? Then to cap it all the steering had to be replaced as it was getting stiff reversing in and out of tight places and had to turn off the engine as it was sounding crunchy and completely froze.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-26 | ID: 49525

Scott, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

Been a good car but fuel consumpsion is poor, 30 - 35 mpg. Also just got it back from garage after the main ECU (brain) packed in, a cost of £531 to get repaired. Might not buy Vauxhall again.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-23 | ID: 49524

Mr Hancock, Somerset

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

The steering on my Meriva 1.6 life with only 32,000 miles went stiff whilst parking and EPS light came on. After taking to Vauxhall for diagnoses was told that it was unsafe to drive now the problem of replacing the steering sensor/torque at a price of £664 had been diagnosed, so due to having young children paid by credit card to get job done. Emailed Vauxhall to complain of safety aspect and was told there was no safety aspect so no need to recall vehicles - so why do their service managers give different advice? I will never buy or recommend a Vauxhall due to the complete negligence of this company.

They were on watchdog regards this fault and are now repairing and maybe a chance to get a refund if you have already paid to get it fixed, ring 08450902044. - Adele Tagg from England

I have a Meriva 53 plate. I’m having the same problem - I have two children and I’m scared to drive it as the steering goes stiff. I nearly had accident so I took it to the garage today and they read out two faults c1532 and c1500. I rang Vauxhall up and it’s booked in but I refuse to pay up to 1000 pound. I got a loan to get the car in which I don’t want to use. I also don’t want to have the same problem over again if it isn’t resolved. I will never buy Vauxhall again - hopefully it will be resolved - Cheryl Southern from England

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 49515

Kim Smith, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Meriva 1996

I bough a Vauxhall Meriva 2 and a half years ago, upto now the car has been very reliable, and the diesel very economical. I took it on the motorway, 70 miles into my journey the car revved loudly, and lots of smoke came out the back of the car exhaust. I pulled over to the hard shoulder as soon as I could, took the keys out of the ignition and the car still carried on revving, even louder. I thought the car was going to blow. Roughly 10 secs later there was a click from the engine and everything went silient. The garage said that the turbo is at fault and could of damaged the timing chain. The thing is the car is just over 3 years old, and just passed the warranty. I never expected anything like this to happen, but I was told that the type of engine the Meriva is fitted with is prone to problems happening.

I brought my car (1.4 life 06 reg) in May last year from a Vauxhall dealer. Everything was fine with my car right up until March of this year. I broke my leg in December and hadn’t driven it for months. I had people start it for me and my sister took it out for a drive now and then. On one of the drives the EPS light came on. My MOT was due so my car was taken to a vauxhall garage. To cut a long story short, I have done 5000 miles in the car this year and it had to have a whole new steering column. Luckily, I was still covered by my warranty. However, it run out 3 days ago and now I have a massive water leak and Vauxhall won’t do anything about it. I spent £6000 on this car and feel like you, thoroughly let down. They should still be liable if you are outside of your warranty - Emma Budd from Surrey

Are you sure it is a Meriva that you have? The Meriva was not available in 1994 - John Worby from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2010-05-05 | ID: 49518

Bill Elliott, Pembrokeshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Bought this car 2 years ago, was very happy with it until 2 days ago when I was turning ’round the steering went heavy and EPS light came on. Managed to pull over swiched off then restarted, the steering seemed OK. The car was booked for a Service on Monday 26th April so reported EPS Fault at the Main Dealer, It was checked no fault found, it was recalibrated and was told to try it. If it occures again they recomend a new EPS steering at a cost around £600. I hope it keeps on working as I am a pensioner.

Just had my Meriva checked for power steering problem, although I haven’t had it from new it is a 55 reg with only 24,000 miles on the clock have been told I need new steering colum at a cost of around £600. As I can’t walk far I will be stuck without it, I am also a pensioner - Margaret Lewis from England

Submitted: 2010-04-28 | ID: 49521

Rober Sayers, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

Bought at 16k now 52k on clock, the car always has a problem ,a bit of a lightweight in every sense. The original gear linkage was made from plastic and has a small oil sump, yeah a great idea for doubling your service bills. A lot of sub standard components under the bonnet. Can’t get access to even a relay without breaking your fingers. Yes I would recommend this to somebody, if you hated them. I had a Cavalier before and it was quite good but I will never buy a vauxhall again now.

Submitted: 2010-03-31 | ID: 49510

Stuart Adamson, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

I`ve had this car since 2003 and it has been mostly a good buy, the only thing though is the car has ever since needing it`s first MOT had a noisy steering column. The first time I was told it was a small pin that needed replacing which cost next to nothing. For the next 3 MOT`s the car has passed but have been told each time that the steering will need looking at (I`ve put off having it done though as I know how expensive it will be) and driven the car all over the place; the noise and shaking is quite loud when you go over a pot hole anyway the car recently has now failed it`s latest MOT and I had it so called repaired at a cost of £500. Now thanks to the many potholes around here the steering is back to knocking and shaking just 3 weeks later! It seems that this is a very common problem with this car.

I had a similar experience as you I took it to a private Vauxhall specialist for service this time last year who advised the steering needed changing, £600. This February I had my local Mechanic check it over for MOT he found that one of the anti roll bar joint was worn replaced for £25.00, - result -John Davis from Somerset

Hi, I have a 53-plate 1.6. Several months ago I found a knocking coming right up through the steering. It was only happening when going in a straight line - any turning pressure right or left would make it disappear, leading me to think that something was loose. Checked all suspension and steering components, (bushes, track rods, link bars etc) with no joy. All indications (and recommendation from the dealer) were that it needed a new steering column - approx £900. It wasn’t getting worse, and there were no directional issues, so I thought I’d hang on and keep researching. I’m glad I did - it turned out that the clamp bolt where the column meets the steering under the dash was loose. I tightend it and the problem disappeared. Worth checking if you have a similar problem! - from Sussex

I have a 54 reg Meriva which has a constant rattle coming from the steering column/to the right of the dashboard. When it was under network Q they said they would dismantle the steering column and lubricate it. This seemed to solve it, but 9 months on it started again (I only do 3000 miles max a year!) I rang Vauxhall garage but they said they doubted it would now been covered as the Network Q had expired and I only had an Eden Vauxhall A plan warranty. They said if the fault was found to be just ’steering wheel lubrication’ it would cost £50 +vat diagnostic fee and then probably £100’s + vat to actually do the lubricating! What a farce. I took it to an independent garage who said it was ’one of those noises you’ll just have to put up with’ !! & that they checked all the joints on the RH side and all were secure. Having read the response which said about the clamp bolt needing tightening, I may quiz a few independent mechanics to see if this is something they could help with. My friend also has a Meriva with this annoying rattle, but her solution is to turn her stereo up! - Lou Harrison from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-31 | ID: 49511

Andrew Joyce, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

Overall very good but has a few annoying niggles: 1) The control switch for the front sunroof has no neutral position between the slide and tilt mode. This means that closing the sunroof can be annoying. Enough so to discourage us from using the sunroof. 2) This is a £15,000 car, it seems rather cheap of Vauxhall that a spare wheel, jack, tool kit and the first aid kit are optional extras, especially when the boot has a moulded space for each of these items. 3)The 1.6 engine does not seem to pull well uphill. I frequently have to change down as low as 2nd gear on moderate hills.

Hi Andrew, I have a 1.4 Design 2008. I find that if you press and hold the button when moving to closed it stops at closed. If you keep moving it in small amounts it does tend to over-run the closed position and start sliding. Same goes when you go from slide to closed, just keep your finger on the button until it stops moving - Phil Davies from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2010-01-23 | ID: 49549

Michael Digby, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Purchased 2nd hand from a local dealer (P A Autos) 3 days later the indicators packed in (common fault). Took it back and it was fixed in 20 mins. Spot on dealer, give him a good cheer, not many about like them nowadays. Had it for a year+ now & except for normal maintainance things (bulbs, tyres, wipers, my servicing done properly by my son, etc.) It normally does local journeys, but has been to Paris a couple of times, both my sons have used it (They try to hammer it) It’s done 78000 so I think I may need to change the cam belt (water pump is a good thing to do at same time, £20 extra but worth the effort) I get 46 mpg It’s a workhorse, 2 grandkids & daughter in law (here there & everywhere) hence the short journeys. Asda run regular, folds down for junk to the tip, tows my son’s car when it breaks down and as long as it’s checked out regularly (Normal checks) then it keeps going. All in all I would buy another one. By the way, as I have had a hip replacement it is brill as I don’t have to collapse into a low seat.

I would advise changing the timing belt ASAP as you are living on borrowed time ! Cheers - Mike Cooper from Northamptonshire

What is the recommended timing belt change mileage? I always thought it was 80k - from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 49546

Christopher Corbett, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I agree with Alan in Yorkshire, I have had no problems with the car in general, but with my car at a similar mileage, i now need a new steering column due to power steering faliure, new tyres and track rod ends.

The indicator light failed to come on whilst turning left, tried changing the bulb, no joy with that, turned out it was the control unit, cost £150 to sort it out at the garage, now the indicator fails to knock itself off after a left turn, anyone any ideas as to what it could be?! - Pete Harrison from Lancashire

I’m having a nightmare with this car, the power steering keeps on cutting out when trying to park or turning a corner. The car is only 4 years old and has only done 3000mls - Estelle Crosby from England

I purchased a Vauxall Mervia 2006 model life. I’m pleased with this car, however, power steering is playing up at only 5000 miles on the clock, very disappointed. It’s been to a Vauxall dealer, which has failed to solve the problem. It’s still under dealers warranty ’til June this year, is this a common fault with Vauxalls? - Graham Watkin from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 49542

Colin Evans, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

I have recently bought a new Meriva 1.4 in October 2009. I have had the car back at 3 different dealers with a list of problems and they are not interested: 1. steering wheel not straight and moves to the left if you let go of the wheel. 2. dashboard making a rattle and squeaking noise constantly whiles driving. 3.drivers window won’t go back up, need to pull it up. 4.banging noise from front suspension when going over speed bumps. 5.left indicator won’t cancel after use. As you can tell from my list it is not good reading for the Vauxhall Meriva and Vauxhall, I’m not a happy customer. It’s the first time owning a Vauxhall and I won’t be buying another again. I hope everyone else has better luck than me. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 49539

Jack Smith, Dumfriesshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

Great car for practicality, ideal for family as the space and flexi seats prove worth their weigh in gold but seats are hard and meriva is horrendous in snow. I have been grounded since Sunday as car will not move in snow, nearly had accident on way home on Sunday as car lost control and I am a very experienced drive, over 20 years driving experience in all conditions, this is my first MERIVA AND IT WILL BE MY LAST DUE TO THE SAFETY ASPECT & PERFORMANCE IN ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS. I have always had VW and Peugeots and have never had any problems with their handling even in more sever weather conditions, anyone else has the same experience?

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 49541

Ian Douglas, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

We have the oldest Meriva here, a 1.6 Enjoy, yes the rear folding seats are hard on a long journey and we have had a lot of irritating problems with interior and rear lights - mainly bulbs. Now reached 45K and the eps light has come on at full lock twice, garage recommend replacing steering column, at an eyewatering Ł700 plus so we are just living with the problem! Lost confidence in the car somewhat, people who have had the power steering ’fixed’ seem to complain of it still being a problem at a later stage.See Vauxhall Owners Network site and search under ’Meriva eps’ - your experiences can help others and there is quite a lot of info there.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 49540

Alan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

At first I was happy with the Meriva, it was spacious,comfortable to drive and still is. The problem is the car is only 5yrs old and has only done 42k miles and now it needs a new fuel pump. This comes after it has had a new steering column, recent new discs and brakes, new track rod ends and several new tyres on the front. Surely a fuel pump should last more than 42k? Needless to say I shall be getting rid of this nightmare and getting a Peugeot.

Hi, I have the same vehicle as you and some of the problems like tyres 7000mls then again at 10000mls new psr, only I had to get mine refurb as they didn’t make my type anymore, then rear discs as they stick on but I have done 135000mls. Watch out for the ERG valve (1st sign loss of power)light on dash LHS, mine has just cloged up and the cost to replace was £360-400, shop around as it’s a full day’s job. As soon as I can get rid I will not buy another one. Told by my garage to buy A SKODA. Sad to say I will - Bob MacKenzie from Yorkshire

We too had to replace the petrol pump last year at under 48,000 miles. Then the steering rack went. The garage told us this was a common fault as the racks were designed for a lighter car. The left stalk indicator rarely cancels itself, the steering wheel doesn’t centre and the ERG valve needed replacing this week. Last week the drivers side suspension spring snapped in half and damaged the wiring. The ABS light comes on every few weeks. It is a pig of a car and still only 50,000 miles on the clock. Total rubbiish - Craig Hanson from England

Submitted: 2009-12-14 | ID: 49536

Billy Smith, County Down

Vauxhall Meriva 1994

With a baby on the way, the Meriva seems like the ideal buy, with plenty of boot space and cabin room for all the essentials and more. I was more than impressed at the beginning. However after a few months driving, the novelty wore off. The front pillars are a real hazard and you have to stop and lean forward at every junction. As you soon learn, by not doing that you are taking your life in your hands. Fuel consumption poor with 30 mpg, the air conditioning is poor, indictors do not automatically turn off which is maddening. Numerous brake lights bulbs replaced. Problems with the ABS braking. Would never buy another Meriva or indeed a Vauxhall. Would-be parents, think very carefully before buying this car.

My Vauxhall Meriva is a 55 reg and I have done 21000 miles. The cam belt went, I needed a new camshaft, cylinder head etc. The bill was £2014. I will never buy another Vauxhall. Customer care say it’s out of warranty. You’re right about the column on the side of the windscreen, it’s really dangerous and I have had a few near misses - Kath Paterson from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-09-28 | ID: 49529

P. J., County Tyrone

Vauxhall Meriva 1994

This was the first brand new car I ever bought. Apart from the ’blind’ spot on right front corner of window I really loved it. The tyres lasted a long time and I love the interior space. It’s great for carrying large items and has great storage. This year however, my EPS light went on and remained on. I could hardly drive the car and felt really unsafe. A part from the Vauxhall dealer cost £600. Now my EPS light is coming on occasionally. My Vauxhall dealer believes it might need a new pump. After researching on the Internet I discovered that the EPS is a common problem with the Meriva. I am now very disappointed in Vauxhall’s attitude towards the problem and hope they will rectify it. All the reports of the EPS problem indicate that the Meriva can be dangerous if this EPS fault continues.

Hi! My 2004 Meriva had the same fault as yours in June 2006 and i had it replaced at my own cost as Vauxhall did not want to know and now the same as happened again. I like my car as i have a knee problem and find it easy to get in and out of. But at a cost of £600+ I can’t afford to have it done - John Williamson from Cheshire

Hi. I have just started having the same problem with the EPS locking & I am looking into it; these reviews have been helpful. I agree about the front column but love the car and as I have bad knees also think it is easy for getting in & out of - Joan Williams from Cheshire

I have had my Vauxhall Meriva enjoy a year now and the eps comes on and the steering goes tight. Had it seen to but no one seems to know what is wrong. Would not buy another one. Stick to the old cars - Bet Patterson from Durham

Submitted: 2009-09-04 | ID: 49531

Alan Smith, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I hired a Meriva to go to Edinburgh and I can’t believe all the positive comments I see in reviews. I’ve just driven it up the A9 in a gale and if you put it in fifth gear it slowed down. It was tinny, cheap, had hard uncomfortable seats, leaned alarmingly going over the Forth Road Bridge, had negative acceleration and was basically frightening. I normally drive a six year old Golf and frankly the old Golf puts it to shame. I often drive an Astra which is also fine. I just couldn’t believe the fragility of this car. I really didn’t feel safe!

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 49656

OMS, Orkney Islands

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

I bought the Meriva 1.3cdti in Feb 2009. I had a Skoda Fabia before and was used to thick front pillars. This vehicle is a dream to drive, loads of room and very economical as well - 46 mpg combined.

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 49657

James Hetherington, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

I bought my Meriva to replace a Zafira 1.6 which had a fault from new that Vauxhall couldn’t fix (the revs always dropped off when pulling away). Well, this Meriva has the same problem and I totally hate this car. It’s power is crap for a 1.6 design, 5th gear is almost useless. The seats are rock hard, seating position crap, the interior condenses up far to easy, especially the rear windows. The blind spot is a total disaster. The stereo jumps from station to station for no reason. Long after it’s stopped raining you got to use the wipers because of the water running from the roof. I’m constantly having to keep the steering wheel in the middle, if I let go the car veers to the left (the garage swears the tracking in ok). I can honestly say this car is nowhere near as good as the Zafira... I will never buy another Meriva. I have totally lost confidence in Vauxhall and am eager to sell this Meriva and again accept my huge loss in money. I’d advise a good long test drive... then say NO THANKS!

Submitted: 2009-01-28 | ID: 49654

Philip Parker, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Well made, comfortable, reasonably quiet and does just under 60 miles to the gallon. I’ve had it since new (5 years) and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. The only expense has been servicing (budget about £100 per year). Would I recommend it? Certainly - but take a test drive first to check the rather notorious blind spot to the right hand front.

Submitted: 2009-01-16 | ID: 49655

Sheila McIntyre, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

The space use is brilliant, love the cup holders and trays in the rear for my Mum and my son alike. The boot, with its extra under floor storage is really good. The acceleration/pick-up is swift which makes it good for motorway and town driving. The leather interior is easy to keep clean and warm to sit on. It’s a little costly on fuel but you can’t have everything.

Submitted: 2008-12-01 | ID: 49652

Krystle Ebdon, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

We got the Meriva one month after our daughter was born. We owned a KA then; we couldn’t get the pushchair in the back and it gave you back ache to put her in the car seat! This car is perfect for a new family or if your adding to your family. In fact, my parents like the Meriva that much they now own one the exact same colour. Overall: brilliant for space, smooth drive and easier for families.

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 49651

Ken Protheroe, Monmouthshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

I have used the car for 2 trips, from the UK to Lisbon and back. On the superb roads - Santander onwards, I used up to 95 mph where circumstances permit. 100 mph needs 3650 rpm (approx), hence at 90 mph it is not overstretched. Diesel consumption for those journeys averages 47 mpg, which to me is fantastic. With driver only, but with a fully laden / back seats flat Meriva. The only gripe being the thick pillars either side of the windscreen and they do obstruct peripheral vision. I have also used my Caterham CSR 260 for that journey, but the Meriva is a far better and relaxed proposition for such long journeys.

Submitted: 2008-08-14 | ID: 49653

Amanda Green, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

I’ve been driving this car for about 9 months now and I’m very pleased overall with it. The space is fantastic and my little girl loves being higher up and able to see out from her (Isofix) car seat. It can lack a little punch sometimes from setting off but I hardly feel the need to race off from the lights so suits me fine. The only downside are the side pillars on the windscreen, which took a little getting used to as they do get in the way of visibility sometimes, especially on roundabouts. All in all I think it’s a wonderful family car and very flexible. Something I would definately buy again.

Submitted: 2008-03-16 | ID: 49641

Lisa Jones, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I have had several cars over the years varying from Ford Fiesta to Ford Escort and now drive a Rover 45. Due to a crippling illness I have trouble with my back and needed a car that I could get in and out of easily. Also have a 12 year old that I taxi around with his friends. Test drove many cars, including Renault Scenic, Renault Modus etc... The Meriva is far the best car out there and it is large enough to house 3 rowdy teens and hubby along with a large boot for accessories. I am only 5ft and hubby is 6ft so we needed a car small enough for me yet large enough for him. The Meriva ticks all the boxes. No problems with acceleration when at full capacity and I live on the side of the mountain!

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 49640

Susan Jones, Hampshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

Like the car, spacious and comfortable. Quirky gearbox with heavy fuel consumption.

I am thinking of buying a Mervia 2007 1.6 Life easytronic (AC) with semi. auto box. Are the gear boxes ok and when people say heavy fuel consumption what do they mean by heavy? - Ken Horn from Hertfordshire

I would not buy a Meriva again but a Piccasso - Ann Becker from Nottinghamshire

We have a Meriva 1.6 easytronic. We get an easy 40 on a run down to Cornwall at 70mph. That’s with three people, a roof box & all the luggage & two mountain bikes on the back. That’s with me driving with size 12 feet too & I’m no light foot. Don’t forget that the Meriva is a heavy car for its size - Carl Davis from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2008-01-30 | ID: 49642

Helen Mitchell, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

My Meriva is my Tardis on wheels! I needed a vehicle which for 99% of the year transports just me and my business goods around the country but for 1% accommodates trips out with family and friends spreading into the back seat. A Vectra served me well but the overall length and boot projection made parking and manoeuvring in strange locations a bind. I cannot believe the Meriva is based on a Corsa chassis. The internal space is huge -legroom front and back is phenomenal and is not provided at the expense of the standard boot space (as with some mpvs). Flexspace drops the rear seats in a flash to a massive loading area, with no lip at the tailgate to negotiate and several handy anchorage points to tie everything down (not family and friends!). The car handles like a mini hatchback and the common rail engine provides excellent poke at the lower end of the gearbox. It will cruise for ever and on long, fully loaded journeys returns 45mpg with ease -which is pretty good for the planet and the purse. The solar reflect glass -available on the top models -is an added luxury in hot weather and an essential security feature when loaded up. I challenge any manufacturer to offer me a better vehicle for my needs (however a private helicopter may do nicely!) PS to Peter Mahoney (post 9.11.2007)..... 23 years ago we had a baby + a toddler + all associated necessities (pushchair/ travel cot/high chair/nappies/food/clothes) all neatly stashed in a two door Fiesta for regular 5 hour journeys. Children of today have it too easy!!

If you have a sunroof, it could be the seal or the door seal - Robert Peake from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-01-23 | ID: 49646

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I love the car but the fuel consumption is heavy with only 30 - 35 mpg. Apart from that the car is great.

A fair point Stan but as it’s a quite high vehicle and has plenty of mass it’s not bad at 30-35 mpg, which is a bit of a spread by the way. What was the tank to tank average over 10 tanks? I digress, thanks for the info, appreciated - Eric Sweetland from Cornwall

Submitted: 2007-12-20 | ID: 49638

Ray Hayhurst, Conwy

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

I have had my Meriva six months its good to drive and good on fuel about 45 to 50 mpg. My wife has certain difficulty getting in and out of most cars but not whith the Meriva , we gave a lot of thought to which would be the best car for us and tried a few on test but only meriva ticked all the boxes . Ours is a 1.6 petrol and it runs so smooth it is very nice car in all respects ,if there is one thing I would like that it does not have is arm rests, maybe some one out there knows if i can get them from somewhere.

Submitted: 2007-12-17 | ID: 49637

Peter Mahoney, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

My wife and I had a baby recently and the Vauxhall Corsa we owned just wasn’t big enough to cope with the army of supplies that you need when transporting a little one around. It was also difficult before to get him into the baby seat in the back. I thought that something in between a car and an MPV would be perfect and the Vauxall Meriva is exactly that. The interior space is magnificent and the FlexSpace system that allows the 3 back seats to be moved independently is a stroke of genius. Luckily, and importantly, it also performs well. The 1.4 engine gives me exactly the amount of acceleration and cruising speed that I need. Running costs / fuel economy are pretty good too. The only negative, and it is a very small one, is that the visibility from the drivers seat is not as good as I would have liked. However, this car is leased and I am so happy with it that I will be leasing exactly the same model again.

Submitted: 2007-11-09 | ID: 49648

Brad McQueen, Essex

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

OK car, have 3 kids, aged 7, 5 and 1, and find it a bit a squeeze when all in, no real pick up from the off but is quite good on the old mpg. Very reliable, but again, not as big on the inside as looks from the outside.

Submitted: 2007-08-23 | ID: 49650

Lee, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

I have a young family and needed a car that is the size in between a normal car and a MPV. The Meriva is just about perfect as it is the same size as a Vauxhall Corsa in width and length but is built higher to afford the room that is traditional with Vauxhall's Zafira. My wife also finds that she has increased visability and a greater sense of safety. She was also concerned about parking a larger vehicle but has found that this is not a problem with the Meriva. This is an excellent choice for a smaller family and the Meriva also looks very pleasing on the eye.

Submitted: 2007-07-24 | ID: 49649

• "Hiya can anyone help with problem...got a 03 1.6 merriva broke down driving to work on Thursday ...it just cut out on me managed to get it back home ..." (Michael dumbrell, 18/06/2017 12:13:16)
  • "My merjva 1.4 16v turbo battery is draining.Its a 2011 model. Any suggestions as too why. After it is charged it runs only for 48hrs then is complete..." (Margaret He mell, 10/06/2017 19:49:17)
  • "Code 136 factory fitted front and rear parking sensors not working. Is this a problem with the control box at £80 from Vauxhall??..." (Paul daniell, 07/06/2017 16:45:17)
  • "I have just bought a 2004 Meriva and as soon as the engine gets warm it cuts out completely, and cannot be restarted. After leaving the car for a whi..." (Paul Greenwood, 06/06/2017 09:18:58)
  • "When I press the unlock button on the fob the headlights come on and stay on until I insert key in the ignition,. My question is can I somehow bypass..." (Terry Martin, 05/06/2017 15:49:59)

• Craig Jones's question has been answered: "The functions are on your radio to change door locks, not on your dashboard, press configuration on the radio controls. - Bails from Blackpool' '..." (27/06/2017 18:53:30)
  • mark astbury's question has been answered: "Trust me, ALL Meriva's burn oil. It's what they do. I get through 4 litres approx every 3-4 months. There is no leak anywhere. Engine bay is spotless. - Paul from Kent' '..." (27/06/2017 15:16:17)

Vauxhall Meriva 2010 road test report

The Vauxhall Meriva moves up a size in its latest incarnation to take on the likes of the Citroen C4 Picasso and Ford C-Max. With its increased size comes a bold move to distinctive rear-hinged back doors for the Meriva, which Vauxhall says make access and entry to the rear seats a whole lot easier. [...]

Vauxhall Meriva 2010 road test report

Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 Life road test report

A perfect choice for a small family – this compact MPV’s innovative FlexSpace system offers extremely versatile seating and helps make the Meriva to seem larger than it actually is. Two words that sum up the Vauxhall Meriva well are practical and safe. Performance The 1.6 litre engine is very quie [...]

Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 Life road test report