Suzuki Wagon R consumer car reviews and road tests

Suzuki Wagon R

Suzuki Wagon R consumer reviews by year of make: 1995  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007

Suzuki Wagon R consumer car reviews

michael waters, East Riding of Yorkshire

Suzuki Wagon R WAGON R+ ESTATE 2000 - 2007

i bought my wagon r+ as a used vehicle after owning most makes of car in my 50 yrs driving.and i can honestly say this is the best of the lot. i wish i had bought one years ago as it is an amazing little vehicle.i say little but looks are deceiving as inside the room is unbelievable also the level of comfort is exellent. fuel economy is very good, i can get 48 mpg on a long run.loads of carrying space with rear seats down,and the 1.3 engine is strong and reliable, i have been the length and breadth of britain in this gem of a vehicle and dont want anything else, would highly recomend.

Submitted: 2017-06-01 | ID: 141681

Michael Crisp, Monmouthshire

Suzuki Wagon R WAGON R+ ESTATE 2000 - 2007

Bought new in August 2003 (03 plate). We have just replaced it with an 04 version mainly because the gearbox is apparently on it's way out. This is not surprising since it has now covered 176000 miles including trips to Rome, Barcelona, Pompeii and numerous drives around France usually traveling about 3000 miles in three weeks. Regrettably - due to a couldn't be bothered attitude - it has only been serviced four times ( twice in the last 18 months) and the only major expenses have been a replacement alternator and oil sump. Perfect for elderly people (my wife and myself) to get in and out of, decent mpg, comfortable and, as far as I am concerned, quite happy at 70- 80 mph on French motorways in 400 mile stretches. Hope the replacement is as good as the original.

Submitted: 2016-01-31 | ID: 126974

Graeme Dobie, Scotland

Suzuki Wagon R 2004

Had mine for nearly 9 years (ex-demonstrator with 3k on the clock) now it’s nudging 50,000 with no problems with the only servicing having been the oil and filters changed on an annual basis and brake fluid every other year. From the outside, it looks just plain weird - short, high, wide, boxy, and no boot to speak of. From the inside it’s surprisingly spacious and can take five people with a little bit of a squeeze. The boot is still pretty small, big enough for a week’s shopping, but not much more. The back seat folds down and gives acres of room (but you’ve only got two seats then). When I have to shift building materials (posts, sheets of plasterboard etc) the integral roof rails and a set of bars gives me all the space I need. I regularly use the car to take my family of four on holiday; I use a 270 litre half-width topbox, an cycle carriers to take four full size hybrid bikes, the only problem I get on a regular basis is when I’m using a low-deck ferry, I have to make sure I’ve booked a ’high’ space. The high seating means that you don’t have to bend down to get in (when I bought the car I was suffering from back pain) and this would be well suited to people with mobility problems. It’s mildly frustrating that I have to keep a decorator’s ’platform’ in order to get all the stuff on and off the roof, but that’s only because I’m lower than average height. The 1.4 litre engine is surprisingly nippy, and more than enough around town. Narrow tyres mean it’s brilliant in snow. Mechanically I’ve never had any problems, in nearly ten years of use I’ve had to replace the battery and tyres once and each of the brake hoses have eventually needed replacing, but other than that nothing major. The exhaust has started to rattle a bit, (one of the mild steel supports have rusted through), but as the main system is stainless, it’s still in perfect condition, I expect I’ll just make myself a hanger with a bit of steel rod and it’ll be good for another 46,000 miles. My only complaint is they’ve stopped making them, otherwise my next car would be an absolute ’no brainer’.

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 47662

Terry Selby, Kent

Suzuki Wagon R 2005

I previously had a 997cc 1996 car, which was extremely reliable. In 105000mls all I had to buy a starter motor, a battery and one light bulb and that was all. It was serviced regularly. It was so reliable I didn’t want it to go, but I happened to see a 2005 1300cc model for sale with only 12000 miles recorded, so I bought it. I have done 3000mls with no problems. It’s yellow and I really like it and have started to customise it. It’s small, but very spacious and versatile and like the older car seems to be very reliable and I actually like the looks of it. It’s comfortable and drives a lot better than you’d think it would and its economical. I would genuinely recommend this car. And before you think I am some old fogey I have driven many sports cars, my other car at the moment being a Honda s2000.

Submitted: 2012-09-03 | ID: 47663

Michael Whittington, Shropshire

Suzuki Wagon R 2000

I don’t need to say it’s easy to get in or that the upright seat is very comfortable and being quite high you can see a lot of the countryside. No, I went to buy a Jeep in 2000 and bought my Wagon instead. I call it my my urban jeep. The best thing is that it has been used to move a landyacht, inflatable rib and 6hp outboard, monkey bike and golf clubs. It has had canoes on top and towed my small caravan. And yes I have fitted a winch. Yes, the clock stopped working and the rear wiper works when it wants to, but in 10 years I have only replaced the tyres and exhaust only once. The thing is so lightweight and high off the ground, which makes it quite unique in its class. I admit I love it to bits and I OVER DO the servicing. It’s so frugal to run that instead of a replacement I bought a classic car to share the motoring. I hope to be buried in it eventually. The kids can have the MG!

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 47664

Michael Chattaway, Lincolnshire

Suzuki Wagon R 2005

Never buy a Suzuki! I had a low milage car 6 months and had to have new air con repaired and a new fuel tank. The original tank rusted and began to leak! (No sign of damage). It cost me a fortune for a new tank. Of all the makes of car that I have had this is the first fuel tank that has corroded. Downright dangerous!

You do know there was a recall for this don’t you? And the dealers replaced the tank? - Missy Elliott from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 47665

Fiona, Ireland

Suzuki Wagon R 2003

To all you people out there I bought the 1.0 petrol 2003 model which looks like the 1.3 model and it is the successor to my 2000 model, I absolutely love it and have had it for 5 years now it has never let me down and is rarely off the road. You can fit so much into it as when you drop the back seats it has a large boot space and I have used it for moving house twice. I highly recommend any model in the suzuki range as I have only ever had one problem with a distributer cap on my 1997 alto and that was promptly repaired under the warranty and there are a total of 5 wagon R’s owned by my immediate family. 2 of them are 1.0 and the rest are 1.3 ranging from 1999 to 2003 and we are all maintaining them as we cannot replace them due to them being taken off the market in Ireland in 2005 I hope this helps you make up your mind and maybe Suzuki might bring this model back.

I have been looking for a small, economical, practical and yet well built car, I had my first test drive in one yesterday and immediately fell in love with it. I am picking mine up on Wednesday - John Kinsey from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2011-02-10 | ID: 47660

Anne Dace, Conwy

Suzuki Wagon R 2001

I am very happy with my Suzki Wagon R+. I’ve had it a few years, just serviced it and put a new cambelt on it because it was due. So happy with my car I have modifided it with alloys and a big bore exaust, mud flaps and tinted windows, looks great. Very handy and nippy little car. I have had washing machines and big items in the back and have just bought some roof racks. Also great for parking.

Submitted: 2010-04-21 | ID: 47657

Margaret Waugh, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Suzuki Wagon R 2005

I bought a Wagon R+ 1.2 new in 2005. It has been serviced as per intervals and runs ok, but has had a number of faults e.g breaks replaced twice, doors locking while in car, cold at drivers side, and last cam; gone now, it came loose on motor way.

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 47659

Tom Baker, Durham

Suzuki Wagon R 2005

I bought a Wagon R+ 1.3 new in 2005. It has been serviced as per intervals and runs as sweet as a nut. It has now done 40,000 miles and I won’t be getting rid any time soon. It returns around 42 mpg which isn’t bad nowadays. I have never had any problems with it at all and only replaced a couple of tyres in the time I have owned it. It’s a pity they don’t make these any more as it is a good, practical family car. The replacement Suzuki Splash is rubbish by comparison...!!

Submitted: 2010-02-02 | ID: 47658

David McCoy, County Antrim

Suzuki Wagon R 1995

My partner bought this wagon R 12 months ago and it has 30,000 miles on the clock. In september 2009 the cam shaft sensor had to be replaced, luckily under warranty. Not 2 months later, after the warranty had run out the engine management light came on as before, this time its a faulty ECU. Needless to say we were not impressed with the reliability of the electronics or the dealership service, this is a very expensive problem to repair. We will NOT be buying another Suzuki.

Submitted: 2009-11-27 | ID: 47655

John Bishop, England

Suzuki Wagon R 2006

Poor show. Basic functions OK but wiper motor packed up at low mileage, windscreen leaked and had to be refitted and I have had persistent problems with air con system. Persisten leaks, compressor failure etc. Over its 3 year life so far, off the road on 20 days other than servicing and air con not working on at least 160 days. Air con failure has made it impossible to put it to intended use of carrying old infirm mother around. (It has large door and low sill making it my choice for disabled passenger.) Made in Poland. In the style of 1976 Longbridge car.

Submitted: 2009-08-17 | ID: 47656

Jens Jeppesen, England

Suzuki Wagon R 2003

My second Wagon. The new classic, unfortunately discontinued. In 6 years / 60,000miles I have had to replace sensor after dodgy petrol and 1 wheel bearing apart from tyres and normal service. This car will take 5 adults with surfboards and gear to the beach or drive thousands of miles down the motorway. Planning to keep as long as possible as no real replacement in sight.

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 47670

Sateesh Magal, England

Suzuki Wagon R 2000

I am from India. This is one of the best cars - Great mileage, comfort, reliability, stability - great space inside - kids love it. Great in congested Indian lanes and streets.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 47671

Pippa Wright, Northamptonshire

Suzuki Wagon R 2004

I immediately felt at home in this car as soon as I got behind the wheel - and I am someone who does not easily adapt (or bond!) to new cars. I bought this second hand nearly 2 years ago, replacing a 2004 Ford Fiesta I was very attached to and I love it - great visibility and fantastically easy to park (even for me - I was in the back of the queue when spatial awareness was handed out). Many a time I have been able to take advantage of a small parking space, while larger cars have had to circle the car park in vain. It is an excellent daily run about if you have up to 2 kids as the visibility from the back is great. In the 2 years I’ve had it, I have only had to have the rear wheel bearings replaced and the rear washer jet replaced. Very economical to run. Small boot, but an excellent economical, fun, reliable second car. In my book the R in Wagon R+ stands for REALLY fab!

Submitted: 2009-02-24 | ID: 47672

Leslie Ricketts, Monmouthshire

Suzuki Wagon R 2005

In the first year, failure of screen washers made me concerned about the rest of the car. No need to worry, trouble free for three years. We are two old wrinklies with stiff joints, but we find access as easy as getting out , with the seats just the right height. More space inside makes it comfortable for me (at sixteen stone) and my wife. It drives beautifully, although the suspension is a little hard on pot holed side roads. Comes with three year free service, although don`t rely on their claim that "your car will be cleaned at each service", as this is at the discretion of the garage. Overall this car is a good buy for all age groups. I am about to order its successor "the Splash" that is coming out in March.

Submitted: 2008-02-15 | ID: 47669

John Coughlan, Carmarthenshire

Suzuki Wagon R 2004

A very good all car for all ages easy for elderly people to get in and out, if you have teenagers like us it is very versatile has good visibility all round, the seats are so easy to put down and we have even put a washing machine in the back of it with ease and room to spare ideal to double as a small van easy to park and surprisingly spacious inside and runs like a dream.

Submitted: 2008-02-11 | ID: 47668

Andy Booker, Kent

Suzuki Wagon R 2007

Spacious,airy and great for taller passengers. Great around town. Better than rivals.

Submitted: 2007-12-10 | ID: 47667

• A response has been made to Michael Chattaway (30/08/2011 11:01:51)
  • A response has been made to Fiona (10/02/2011 15:08:13)

Renault Megane