Peugeot 407 consumer car reviews and road tests

Buy used imageBuy new / nearly new image Contract hire image

Peugeot 407 consumer reviews by year of make:2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Peugeot 407 consumer car reviews

ed, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 407 407 DIESEL COUPE 2006 - 2010

Great car. Built on a different production line than the saloon, so much tighter build quality. Effortless performance, with a remap to 240hp. Gearbox can be a little slow at times, but it's a cruiser not a performance car. Sports mode sharpens the throttle and holds the gears longer. Getting an average of 40mpg on a fast commute. Minuses are huge heavy doors, weak brakes (improved with Brembo discs and pads) and hideous road tax. Overall though a great fast cruiser with a kick-ass jBL stereo.

Submitted: 2014-11-13 | ID: 106177

chris cann, Devon

Peugeot 407 407 DIESEL SALOON 2004 - 2011

love the 407 2009 great ride but the sat nav turns itself off before the destination which can be stressful when in heavy traffic and don't know where I'm going anyone have any suggestions

Submitted: 2014-07-11 | ID: 99467

Steve Williams, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 407 2009

Bought in 2012 and the clutch went at 33000 on the clock. I had to fight to get it fixed free. At around 52000 this car cut off all power twice in one day, someone could have been killed! I took it back to the dealer, but all he wanted was to make sure I would pay to find the trouble. I said that I though that the safety of people would come first, but to him – no! I sold the car and told the new owner all the trouble I had, had as, not like the dealer I did not want someone’s death on my hands. Peugeot? never again!

Submitted: 2013-10-12 | ID: 45324

Peter Izlakar, Slovenia

Peugeot 407 2005

Hello! I own a 05’ Peugeot 407. It’s got 2.0 litre petrol engine with 140 hp. I love this car! It is the best car I’ve ever had! No problems at all (205.000 km)! For all of those who say that this car is rubbish: Looks like you don’t know how to maintain the vehicle properly, or you’ve bought a car that wasn’t maintained properly.

good news.Did you change the timing chain and when? it gives you warning signal for timing chain? - from Sri Lanka

Submitted: 2013-09-14 | ID: 45323

Dave S, England

Peugeot 407 2005

An awful car that is absolutely terrible in every single way. Here’s what has failed on my car in 12 months (20K miles): 1). ABS/ESR wheel speed sensors - twice! And they go underneath the fuel tank so the cost to replace in a garage is very high, considering it just plugs in. You will get reminded with beeps and flashes every mile or so. 2). The clutch started slipping at 60K miles, and now makes loads of noise and is hard to put in second gear, it’s becoming dangerous. 3). "Tyre pressure sensors not monitored" warnings flash up and remind me how crap Peugeot electronics are every time you put the key in and drive. This has turned out to be an unbelievably expensive problem, as I have been quoted £200 labour exl. VAT or parts to fix just one of these unreliable sensors. Peugeot told me it’s a very common fault, so you can expect to pay near £1000/year for this alone, just to keep the system going. Oh and the entire system fails if just one sensor is broken - easily done by just pumping up the tyres because they snap about as easily as a toothpick. 4). I’ve also had problems with the rear right-hand electric window, if you close it fully it reopens fully and it’s like a game to get it shut! Absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing when people are in the car when it happens. 5). It goes through front tyres every couple of months! All the weight is at the front so keep a good eye on them and expect to constantly replace them. All 4 tyres are a really obscure size, which even a friend who works for Bathwhick said he’s never heard of. I paid £150 for one when my tyre burst. 6). My fuel filter blocked up with black stuff and caused random engine faults and an extremely dangerous loss of power after 2.5k revs, ridiculous considering this happened 6k after a full service. 7). The boot won’t open! The boot has failed 5 times in 12 months, I often forget the car comes with one. The rubbish, cheap cables individually snap within the "U bend" and neither the remote or button will work. The only way to open the boot is to climb through the seats and release it with a small screwdriver - handy! 8). Power Steering - At low speeds when you even slightly turn the wheel the engine nearly stalls! Apparently the tube which feeds the pump is too high up so the pump shakes and struggles when you turn the wheel. Either pay loads of money for the new parts to be fitted or overfill the reservoir, that’s what I did, my attitude is that it’ll break anyway! 9). Digital LCD Display - what display? You wont see it if the car is even mildly warm as when it heats up it fades! Apparently the only fix is to buy a replacement and even second hard they’re expensive! 10). "Water in fuel filter" warnings appear randomly, another annoying beep and warning message to join the others. 11). The fuel level says it’s too low, when you park on even a slight hill. Ridiculous when you have half a tank! I’d feel bad giving my car away as I don’t hate anyone that much.

Submitted: 2013-07-25 | ID: 45319

Ian Leighton, Kent

Peugeot 407 2006

The best car I ever owned. The exec model is crammed with extras. The ride is excellent, handling superb. A few things needed doing like the front ball joints were a changed and one of the new ones lasted 18mths? The sat-nav is one of the worst features on this years model (56) Doesn’t read postcodes? Apart from that its a beautiful looking car and runs a dream. I had to change the PDF filter which was very expensive, and the brake discs needed replacing, this was due to high mileage (109,00 miles). I sold this because I moved house and needed a smaller car for the drive way but really regret it so will be looking for the newer model. FAB car!

Submitted: 2013-06-04 | ID: 45320

Barry Milburn, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2005

This is the worst car Peugeot have ever made. My car has 89,000 on the clock and requires a full clutch assembly including dual mass flywheel, a new cam belt, a wishbone joint and the electronics are all over the place with ESP and ABS lights coming on constantly. Also the central locking does not work and the boot will not open and hasn’t done so for a year. The car is a 2005 model and with the price of repairs being in the region of £4000 can now be considered scrap. How did Peugeot ever get away with producing such a heap?

Agreed, this is by far the worst car I have ever known. I have a 05 model which I got back in 08 with 60K miles on the clock and I nearly replaced the whole car, starting with clutch, brain, drive shaft, millions of ball joints, steering rack, and so on and so on. My advice is do not take this car even if some gives it to you - Charlie Shaw from County Antrim

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 45321

David Gower, England

Looks good.

Submitted: 2013-03-01 | ID: 45306

Tom Thompson, Australia

Peugeot 407 2005

My 407 has an intermittent auto gear box problem; when stopping and then taking off the engine will rev out then it will clunk into gear. The people I have spoken to tell me it is a common problem with this car. I have only had it second hand for 9 months and it has only done 96000 klm.

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 45349

David Ward, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2006

I purchased my 407 new in 2006. It’s been a load of rubbish, giving nothing but trouble. I’ll be going for a Mondeo next, but never a Peugeot again. I’ve had three with not a good one amongst them.

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 45367

Allan, Cambridgeshire

Peugeot 407 2007

Love the shape and the drive of the coupe. I purchased mine from a main dealer, but I was very surprised to find that on its first mot 2010 it failed due to excessive play in the front ball joints. I took it back to dealer who replaced them free of charge under the remaining warrenty it had left on the car, but now 2 years later I’ve just had a service and mechanic advises me that the same ball joints will need replacing due to the same excessive wear. It has only got 49k miles on the clock in 5 years surely it shouldn’t need 2 sets already? After all my wife isn’t a rally driver!<span style="white-space: pre;"> </span>

Worked for Peugeot as a technician for 7 years. Common as anything on these and the normal 407’s as well. It is a design flaw with these ball joints as water gets in through the top of the rubber the protects the inside of the ball joint and causes it to sit there and corrode the ball joint away - Scott Parish from Essex

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 45307

Ian, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 2005

Bought with 20000 on the clock. I’ve had to replace 3 abs sensors front discs and both front ball joints. The clutch has now started to slip and vibrate; looks like a new clutch and fly wheel. The sliding sun roof failed and the central lcd display is going. A nice car to look at and drive, but no where near as big inside and reliable as a 406. I’m now looking to change for a Passat or S-Max.

Sounds like you had a bad time Ian. It’s a shame you had so much trouble with yours, obviously a bad batch! - Ian Leighton from Kent

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 45368

Steve Chadwick, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 407 2007

After having a company 407 S saloon from the day it was released in 2004 I knew I wanted to own one. So I bought a 2006 SE 1.6hdi saloon, which was exceptionally great, but problematic. It had constant faults and issues. So I went and got myself a 2.2 petrol coupe SE. It has currently 63k on the clock and it has been fault free! It feels much more solid than the saloon and well put together, the drive is considerably more quieter and enjoyable in the plush leather seats. It has so much kit, Satnav, parking sensors, adaptive bi-xenon headlights, heated seats and much much more! It’s also such a head turner (because there aren’t many on the roads) that I’ve had people come up to me in the car park and ask what type of car it is! I’m not a fan of the new 508 or any other car on the market right now so I’m keeping my 407 Coupe!

Submitted: 2012-09-03 | ID: 45348

Just, Denmark

Peugeot 407 2010

This is the ninth Peugeot I have driven and is by far the best. The handling is on the money and the cruise control, navigation and bluetooth are all wonderful. A great motor.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 45370

Iain, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 407 2006

I’ve had my 407 just over a year having come from a 406. It’s a 136 x-line saloon. I love it. It drives great, is quick, I’ve never seen below 50mpg from it and apart from a snapped tyre valve it’s been really reliable. The tyre valves are an easy fix. Don’t buy replacement monitoring ones at £££’s each, 4 rubber ones and the monitoring system turned off = no more problems. All in all it looks great and goes great. Thank god I didn’t buy the Audi someone suggested I look at!

Submitted: 2012-07-16 | ID: 45309

Kamal M I, Nigeria

Peugeot 407 2007

Great car, good drive, quite durable, self-diagnosing and alright fuel consumption wise. The only problem though seems to be a shortage of good mechanics in the country (Nigeria). Very few authorised/licensed repair shops and those that do exist are very expensive.

I know what you mean but I can help you with a good Peugeot mech - john uwah from Nigeria

Submitted: 2012-05-28 | ID: 45310

Asghar Ahmad, Warwickshire

Peugeot 407 2006

An excellent car bought with 5000 miles on the clock and now at 82000. Just needs to be taken to a garage for oil and filter change four times a year regardless. Peugeot change the brake fluid twice a year and I change fuel air and pollen filters once a year myself. Need to change front discs now and it came up on the computer saying the indicator on the rear nearside was faulty but just changed the bulb and the fault has now cleared.

Submitted: 2012-05-13 | ID: 45311

Peter Connelly, United States of America

Peugeot 407 2006

Hi! I own an ex-touring s wagon bought brand new, and yes it is amazing to drive. The power and safety are all good and in 6 years of owning I’ve had no problems; fully serviced here in California.

Submitted: 2012-03-10 | ID: 45316

Ian Carter, Cheshire

Peugeot 407 2007

An excellent purchase. I traded in a 407 Diesel for the 3 litre Petrol V6 and don’t regret it for a minute. I got it pre-registered with 50 or 60 miles on the clock and saved a fortune by driving down south to pick it up after getting a good deal on it. It was 10 months old when I picked it up and it still only has 11,500 miles on the clock after all this time. It runs like a dream and the only thing that has been replaced is a clutch slave cylinder, which was done under warranty.

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 45344

Mike Evans, Bridgend

Peugeot 407 2004

I thought the world of this when I bought it. That lasted about 2 days! I have owned some 40+ cars in 45 years of driving, sometimes covering 65k mls per year and never have I had so many different problems with a car. All your previous complainants have covered the problems I have with this one, from faulty display readings, disappearing display readings, the noisy clutch, which has reared its ugly head, poor changing between 3rd and 4th (ok going from 4th to 3rd), wipers coming on when going round right hand bends and the indicator cancelling and not working on left hand turns. Maybe there’s a connection? Or not? And to think I used to love Peugeots, but I’m going back to a Volvo D5 as it will be cheaper in the long run!

Submitted: 2011-11-30 | ID: 45317

Chris Ward, England

Peugeot 407 2004

A couple more things about the 1.6 SE 407’s tyre sensor faults. Be careful when blowing the tyres up as the valves can snap off and are not cheap to replace. Also the 407 has problems with the cooling fan going off after a short drive and even when the car is turned off the fan continues to run, thereby draining the battery. On cold mornings and wanting to get to work the doors won’t open because are frozon shut, this has happend to me a few times. Just remember when buying a 407 you want a full service history with the car or walk away. They are nice looking cars don’t get me wrong, but the problems you get with them...just be careful when buying.

Submitted: 2011-11-22 | ID: 45318

Richard Russell, Surrey

Peugeot 407 2006

Bought in 07 with 17k on the clock. The door strap and rust on the tailgate were repaired/resprayed under guarantee in 07 and 09. The tyre valve snapped in 07. It lasted well until 51k (2011 MOT) when the front brake pads and discs replaced along with rear pads. Front ball joints were also replaced at £316; they were found to be badly worn and probably dangerous. The PUG garage refused to replace them under guarantee. Now the ABS/ESP is playing up as many other owners have found. More expense. I have owned many PUGs over the years and this is easily the most temperamental, but I have found the car quite rewarding to drive with nice power curve and handling when the ball joints are OK! The average fuel consumption is 42mpg. The low front is a constant worry and with the larger tyres and the car is a bit cumbersome to park due to the wide turning circle. Boot space is disappointing and loading poor compared with 406, which I drove for 150k with little cost. Lots of rattles on buy roads and tyre noise in the rear seats when at speed on motorways. A case of style over practicality. The 508 looks like a return to sanity by PUG.

Since I wrote this, Pug refunded cost of front bearings. They have been very fair with me over the past few years - Richard Russell from Surrey

Submitted: 2011-11-19 | ID: 45371

Anton, South Africa

Peugeot 407 2005

I love the car! Yes there are faults with it, but all are easily solved and it is very reliable if you look after it. My girl is now getting a face lift and all the custom mods done after 2 years of driving, including an after market turbo!

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 45315

Peter Monaghan, Scotland

Peugeot 407 2008

Bought this car pre-registered with 4.8 miles on the clock. Cost about £5,000 less than list price. Great car outside and inside. Great entertainment system with the CD hard drive. Only fault is the valve caps which bind onto the valve which need pliers to remove, sometimes breaking the valve.

A little smear of vaseline all around the valve will stop that happening. No more binding - from Essex

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 45345

Christopher Meilak, Malta

Peugeot 407 2006

Hi all! I just want to say that I have just bought my 407 se this year, which means it is 5 years old and I can tell you it is wonderful car and really nice to drive. Even the shape is still looking fresh. I really like my 407 se car.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 45314

Ken Mitchell, Sussex

Peugeot 407 2006

I’ve had my 407 Coupe for a couple of weeks now and I love it. The only problem being after two or three days driving one of the front parking sensors seemes to have got stuck inside of the bumper somehow. I part exchanged my Mercedes e430 estate for this car, the big V8 Merc was great when it was going okay, but so unreliable, probably one of the worst cars I have had. So, so far so good with the Peugeot. I have had Jeeps, BMWs and Mercedes. Time will tell whether this car will compare, but so far I am very happy with it.

Submitted: 2011-09-26 | ID: 45347

Steve Mason, Neath Port Talbot

Peugeot 407 2006

A total heap of rubbish! I have had it since it was 2 years old. So far it’s had: 2 wheel bearings changed (another one soon), the driver seat mounting section snapped, have replaced headlight bulbs 9 times. I also get false warnings up on lcd. The other week it wouldn’t start at all. I got a jump and it’s been fine since; there was no battery warning, it just died instantly. I have replaced the front discs twice and the air con no longer gets cold. I traded in a 1998 Mondeo ghia X 2.0 16valve for this heap of junk, the worst thing I ever did. I would swap it back tomorrow if i could.

Submitted: 2011-09-11 | ID: 45313

Phil Baker, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 2005

I bought the 2.0 diesel SW SV as an ex-demonstrator with 4,000 miles on the clock and it has now covered 162,000 miles. I had the front ball-joints replaced under warranty, a design fault meant that they gave up at about 55,000 miles, and have just recently had to replace the dual-mass flywheel and clutch. Apart from a set of discs and pads all round (did it myself for total cost of £100) and the dreaded Eloys fluid, I haven’t had any prolems. At 55 mpg it is fantastically economical and, even though the engine management light is on all the time, drives like a dream. The only reason I’m wary about Peugeot is all the other stories on the forums!

Submitted: 2011-09-11 | ID: 45312

Alan Vial, Cumberland

Peugeot 407 2005

Bought this car privately in March this year after having owning a 406 1.9TD SX for 12 years. I was a bit worried after reading all these negative reviews, but decided to take the plunge and suffer the consequences later because I just loved the look of the 407SW. I have to say even though it has all the extra electronics, colour sat-nav, electric seats etc, it has been absolutely fantastic. The only niggle I have is a bit of a rattley rear door, which I know I will sort out. I know the previous owner looked after the car with a meticulous service record and maybe that is the reason, but I have had none of the hassles in some of these reviews. The car is so smooth and the power curve is predictable and progressive throughout the rev range. Also it’s very comfortable with full leather oyster seats. A full service costs £198.00 and 215x55x17 tyres for £56 each (from Peugeot dealer). I had a tow bar fitted, but had to sort and wire a smart relay in myself and everything works perfect, I also fitted some Greyston spring assisters for towing and it is a fantastic tow car. I don’t normally do reviews, but just felt I must try and balance the record out a bit. So to summarise: smooth, powerful, economical, pulls like a train when towing. Maybe if you get a dodgy one, it can be bad, but get a good one and it’s fantastic. <br />

Hi Alan, I had exactly the same problem with the rattle on the back door. I found it was the glass top section of the boot which opens separately. The catch needed adjusting and it instantly stopped the rattle. Regards - Ian Leighton from Kent

I must also say how pleased I am with my 407sw 2.00 HDI Exec I bought myself in 2006 and still have. So far I have done 67000 miles and it’s never let me down yet. I have had a tyre pressure sensor go and two ESP sensors replaced but apart from that I am very pleased with the car and enjoy driving it. However, I do still have it serviced by Simon Bailes in Stockton and maybe that’s the reason it’s been so reliable. (I have no connection to my garage apart from taking my car there for service). - David Lee from Durham

Submitted: 2011-08-01 | ID: 45373

Ernie McAllister, Ireland

Peugeot 407 2006

Have had the car 3 years, use it as a taxi, it`s excellent and very comfortable. Am having a problem at the moment, am having to replace all the rockers and the hydraulic lifters (2 rockers broken), which I put down to buying one of these plug-in tuning devices. My mechanic told me it was as a result of the device having changed the timing !!!! So beware !!!!

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 45303

Graham Simpson, Kent

Peugeot 407 2004

I have a 407sw 1.6 diesel on a 54 plate and without doubt it is the biggest pile of cack I have ever owned. Currently locked away in shame for having blown its turbo (I think.) All I know is it starts but it won’t rev and won’t move. 74,000 on the clock when I got it and 2,000 miles later and as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike. The turbo is a Garrett and costs bloody fortunes too. I have had dozens of warning lights about emissions and tyres and bulbs blowing almost weekly. Trust me It’s C**P, avoid it. Do as I did, when it went wrong I went out and bought a £400 Mitsubishi which has never let me down and is a damn sight cheaper than a new turbo.

Submitted: 2011-02-15 | ID: 45366

John, County Down

Peugeot 407 2005

I bought this car second hand recently, only one owner, small dealer known to be very reliable. A raft of electrical faults emerged, all of which he has agreed to have repaired; door-locking and alarm problems, interior lights, cooling fan comes on randomly after even a short journey, cigarette lighter failed, so no sat nav and charger use, LCD screen fades away after 45mins of driving. This last one seems expensive so dealer is wavering on replacement! Economical enough-50+mpg and accelerates quite well, but the electrical stuff leaves me waiting for something else to go wrong.

I had my 407Hdi (2005) for about a year. It’s a lovely car to drive but fault codes are constant. Wish I could afford to trade but so nice when all is going well - Tania Gooch from New Zealand

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 45364

Chris Young, Kent

Peugeot 407 2007

I bought my car on a whim. Ruled by my heart, not my head. I should do that more often. The car is smooth, comfortable and quiet. The sound system and climate control are worthy of cars starting at £50 000. I bought mine from a Peugeot Dealer and it was pre-registered with just delivery mileage on the clock (10 to be precise). So I paid £8000 less than list price. Work it out ! After 25000 miles no problems so far. What kind of new car with that spec can you get for that price ?. Answer - You can’t. The performance is excellent, for motorway driving. Great torque range at the higher speeds. Accept the higher road tax and just drive. Enjoy!

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 45342

Chris Ward, England

Peugeot 407 2007

Good car, 48mpg, smooth ride, looks nice, but with the engine management system things will start to cost, sensors for a start.

Submitted: 2011-01-25 | ID: 45304

Roger Nygaard, Norway

Peugeot 407 2009

Well performing, quiet, comfortable, well equipped, a lot better than many BMWs, Mercs, Audis etc. Just listen to the engine when revving, like a very well tuned petrol V6 and a fantastic automatic gearbox. I always change my car after a year but now I don’t want to, I have lost interest in all other cars at the moment.

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 45341

Tommy Johnston, County Armagh

Peugeot 407 2007

What a heap of s**t! Only have it 9 months and had to replace clutch and flywheel at a cost of £800. Now the turbo has gone on it. Probably talking another £600-£800 for new one. These are known faults with this car. If only I had known this beforehand. Will never buy Peugeot again!

Submitted: 2010-12-31 | ID: 45305

Tony Hutch, Berkshire

Peugeot 407 2005

2005 407 SW Executive SW 136hdi, disappointing vehicle from start. Within the first few months the emission/depollution sensor failed. Next the ABS sensors started to fail repeatedly. Satnav screen failed at 40k. Started motor failed at 60k, Turbo failed at 80k and the flywheel failed at 85k. Having driven a Peugeot for almost 20 years the 407 is by far the most unreliable and expensive to maintain.

You are right on all accounts, the 407 is a shit car. It cost me lots of money and all - from Kent

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 45362

Jim Jackson, England

Peugeot 407 2006

I had the 140bhp version diesel, and so it was a real mover even when loaded. This didn’t make any difference to the fuel consumption achieving around 600miles per tank. The handling wallowed a bit when cornering at speed but the suspension on the whole was pretty good. Unfortunately, I hammered it a bit and so had to replace the wishbone suspension, all disks and clutch (twice first one failed) Unfortunately the wheel hub disengaged from the suspension so it had to go that was at 110 thousand miles. A good tourer, comfortable an a nice bit of power.

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 45361

Francis Keeley, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 407 2005

My 407 2.0 HDi 136 has been brilliant! I am a taxi driver and there is well over 100k on it now and its driving like new. Have had no problems at all with it. The engine is very smooth and has good punch when you put your foot down. I don’t think there is that much turbo lag to be honest, its not as responsive as a Passat 2.0 TDi but its not far behind! I will definitely be buying a 508 once it’s launched! Overall a very nice car to own.

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 45298

Mark Mayne, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2004

I fully agree with all negative comments about the 407. I purchased mine when it was 3 years old from Evans Halshaw . Luckily I took out a extended 2 year warranty on it, thank god!!! I traded it in on the day the warranty ran out as just about everything electrical that could go wrong DID!! On my last visit to the garage the fitter told me that if I had to pay for work done to the HEAP it would have cost me £2,630 in total!! Now happily re-united with a VW Passat, a real car!!

Submitted: 2010-11-02 | ID: 45299

James Bennet, New Zealand

Peugeot 407 2009

We replaced our 2005 Peugeot 407 hdi with a new 2009 model so far we have had no problems with either car. The first having done 60,000ks when it was involved in a accident and written off. We replaced it with the later model rather than another brand because we were so impressed with Peugeot’s safety features. The car was hit at speed at an intersection just behind the Lh front wheel, it then spun on the road and the right side wrapped itself around a roadside tree.when the dust settled there were only minor injury’s to the passenger and none to the driver. all the side airbags and one front airbag activated and the safety bars in the doors prevented serious injury.

Submitted: 2010-11-01 | ID: 45300

Sherif Melika, Egypt

Peugeot 407 2008

The worst car I had ever in my life.

Submitted: 2010-10-07 | ID: 45301

Mike Rignall, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 407 2005

ABS sensors are a problem. My first failed in January, then the next in June , followed by another in August. It was then obvious that the fourth would go soon, but Peugeot, despite having their Platinum warranty said they would not replace it before failure, that would be maintenance! Needless to say, the final one failed en route to a new destination in Cornwall early September, and of course the sat nav failed at the same time. I was in a right mess, since my final location was not easy to find, yet the pre programmed satnav system knew exactly where to take me (if the wretched thing had worked) Thank you Peugeot for putting your profits way ahead of customer care. The 407SW is due to be replaced in 12 mths and a 3008 was on the possibles list. No longer!

Submitted: 2010-09-19 | ID: 45360

Mark Feuilherade, South Africa

Peugeot 407 2010

I recently purchased this beauty for a great price - the bad residual values cetainly benefited me. After having BMW and Lexus for many years, I am extremely impressed with this car. Great looks, performance and luxury to beat. Am now considering upgrading to the 3.0 litre motor within a year or so. Peugeot have got it right with this car.

Submitted: 2010-08-09 | ID: 45343

Peter Mc Parland, County Down

Peugeot 407 2007

Car okay but boot very small. Display on dash a nightmare as it keeps fading. Replacing it is still only a short term remedy. My 60000 car service cost £463.00 due to dashboard problems. Will never by Peugeot again.

Submitted: 2010-07-09 | ID: 45302

Henry Dunst, Cornwall

Peugeot 407 2005

This has been the most unreliable car that I have ever owned. I bought the car second hand with 28,00 miles recorded. In less than 2 months the dual mass flywheel apparently ate the clutch although there is no certainty that the problem was not rooted in the thrust bearing. Because the car was "protected" by the used car warranty under which I purchased it the vendor garage put their hands up and accepted liability. A great bunch of folk, Town and Country Motors near Truro. Recommend them any time. Subsequently the clutch thrust bearing failed - within I allege, 30,000 miles. The consequence of this was that a new clutch assembly was required. Peugeot made a "goodwill" gesture to pay for the parts. I paid for the labour. This seems to amount to 2 clutch assembly failures within 60.000 miles from new. Now the flywheel is making such a noise that it sounds to be within an ace of failing again. The car has now achieved 82,000 miles. To me this is tantamount to a bill of £1200 to £1400, as quoted by the dealer, every 6 months. I wouldn’t buy another 407. They cost too much to run as the result of bad design. Star rating . . . . 0

Just a quick point; I don’t own one of these cars but I have another French car (Renault Laguna 2004) and they have many of the same problems e.g. EGR valves and Emissions, various engine sensors etc and I think people need to venture down to their local scrap yard for a lot of these parts and also eBay. I replaced my EGR, Air Mass sensor and both turbo boost sensors for under £100, no problems with any of them since. And with regards to the DMF (Dual mass flywheel) they are pretty much in every car now. I had a Mondeo, which had one and they were notorious too. But as with the Mondeo you can get a conversion kit so it is converted to a conventional flywheel which are also much cheaper than the replacement DMF. As with many things people need to use their initiative and actually research how cars work so they can make informed decisions when it comes to repairs, I am not saying I am a mechanic but I can understand most problems with my car and it can save you a lot of money if you understand the options that the mechanic is giving you/or not giving you. E.g. car failed MOT on snapped front spring garage wanted £205+Vat to fix (don’t even want to imagine how much Renault dealer would have wanted), a trip to a scrap yard £35 and 2 hours later and voila passed MOT - from Lancashire

It was the Dual Mass Flywheel. I had the same problem. Cost me £1500 at dealer and Peugeot would not contribute to payment as car was just out of warranty with 60K on the clock. If it happens to anyone out their go to EUROPARTS who have a conversion kit at £200. I join those that say IT IS THE WORST CAT I HAVE EVER BOUGHT and I’D NEVER BUY PEUGEOT AGAIN! - I N from Durham

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 45290

Terry Harris, Essex

Peugeot 407 2010

I bought my car as an ex demo and I love it. A great cruising car, very comfortable to drive. The deisel engine is so quiet you can just hear it with the sound proofing windows! I have driven the car from 6000 miles and it’s now on 72,000 with no problems. I did have the normal brakes and tyre wear but other than that, servicing is reasonable, but my only gripe, and its a big gripe, is the car tax - £400... Peugeot have remodeled and the newer ones are cheaper, even the same engine size as mine! Depreciation is frightning but other than that, I love it!

Submitted: 2010-06-04 | ID: 45336

Simon Humphreys, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2009

I have had nothing but problems with this car. The depollution fault that cuts the engines power is so frustrating, along with the dashboard display disappearing. I would never buy a Peugeot again.

To all HDI (with particle filter) owners, if the power cuts off - suggest get the depollution (particle) filter checked - I had mine blown up (on 1.6, 110 hp hdi) during overtaking with the same effect of cutting the power off - after switching off and on the engine it appeares that the problem has gone, but reocurres whenever going for more power. After replacement the car goes well again. Not sure on $$ as the car was under warranty - from Croatia (Hrvatska)

Submitted: 2010-06-04 | ID: 45288

Nick Tehrani, Lancashire

Peugeot 407 2007

I find the engine and gear box almost perfect although BMW make their engines more pwerful and it returns more milage and below 150 co2. I have recently had to change; Anti-roll, indicitor arm disply unit, cd player, pariculated filter and heater box. These were under warranty but I had to pay for the clutch myself, despite the fact I made complaints whilst the clutch was under warranty. The number of days the car was off the road and number of visit to local Peugeot dealer was unacceptable.

Submitted: 2010-05-19 | ID: 45286

Richard Jewell, England

Peugeot 407 2005

My 407 is just coming up to its 5th Birthday and has been utterly reliable. Nothing whatsoever has gone wrong. In this regard it’s been vastly superior to my old 7 series bimmer and my Impreza - supposed ’quality’ cars that were heaps when compared to the reliability of my 407. It looks striking in black with the chrome grille, handles well, rides supremely and is hugely practical. My only minor gripe is that the brakes require a good prod on the pedal compared to more modern over-servo’d rivals, but otherwise I just can’t fault it. Well done Peugeot. I’ll definitely be buying the 508 to replace it.

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 45287

Roger Hewitt, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2006

Ok, I have had numerous cars from main dealers over my driving time, first a 206 1.4 8v, then 307 xsi hdi 136, then the 407 sw se 1.6 hdi then a 206 gti 180 and have just purchased an 09 reg 407 sw hdi sport 140. My first 407 (the 1.6 hdi) was a wonderfull car plenty of space in the car and boot, once had warning light for tyre and turned out to be a nail :( new tyre £94 fitted, sorted. Covered 12,000 miles and turbo’s clamp broke, courtesy car for two days and done under warrenty. Never had another problem. That’s why I just bought another :) Only downside is I felt the 1.6 hdi was pulling too much weight and fuel was about 35mpg round town and 45mpg-50mpg on a run. That was the reason for getting a 206 gti 180. plenty of power for less weight. Test drove my new 407 2.0 hdi sw sport. not a massive difference in performance but given the size its GREAT and oh to have comfort again. My partner has a 107 for shopping, also a GREAT car. Would I recommend the 407? DEFFINITELY but only with the 2.0 hdi or bigger.

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 45357

Mike Greaves, Middlesex

Peugeot 407 2007

Picked up the car pre-reg for a very decent price, so a lot of kit and spec for the money. First year day to day use no issues except of course expected poor fuel economy ranging from 27mpg average to 33mpg being particularly light footed all on typical mixed journeys. Troubles started in year 2 and are ongoing. Gearbox failed (syncromesh amongst other issues) so dealer dropped, stripped, repaired and refitted. The crashing gears resolved but now it’s very notchy and won’t ever be top of the line again so to speak. Not good for a car with under 20k miles that has had a pretty relaxed life. The parking sensors have never properly worked and I am now on the 4th visit to get them replaced. The paint is very soft and will scratch just by looking at it. Other issues that have started yto materialise are minor but evidence of longer term quality issues such as door handles starting to stick and the ignition barrell sticking and now at 25k miles, despite new tires and dilligent tracking / alignment, the whole car is starting to feel vague, rattly and flacid. Also residuals are horrific so very glad I paid significantly under "list".

Wwith all due respect, you did buy a V6 Petrol - Adam Griffiths from England

Submitted: 2010-04-24 | ID: 45337

Steve Collins, England

Peugeot 407 2009

I bought this car having driven Vauxhall Vectras for 10 years. The car is magnificent. I am 6ft 8in and there is loads of room for me and my family. Handling is excellent as is the power of the 136bhp engine which feels more than that. I had a Vectra which had 150bhp and it was no where near as quick delivering that power. Car looks great, and I am extremely happy with it.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-10 | ID: 45283

Peter, London

Peugeot 407 2007

Uncompromisingly designed for super torque power cruse driving, the 407 v6 twin turbo coupe oil burner muscles itself around the highway with incredible finesse and confidence. Why this remarkable coupe was marketed as 407 I shall never know as it is only the design lines of the panels that provide the visual association to its saloon brother. But that’s where the similarity ends as nothing on the saloon it brought over to the coupe it’s a completely different car. I owned a top of the range 407 saloon 2.0 diesel and wanted a coupe so purchased the 407 coupe thinking that I would be getting the saloon with two doors. Nothing could be further from the truth. The dual turbochargers kick out torque so relentlessly there is just no waiting for power and it is delivered effortlessly and under full control of the hyper stiff chassis. Purchased mine for £6.5k at 2.5 years old but if you have money to burn then buy a Germanic badge for loads of money more, three times more. But if you’re just a regular man that wants your money to take you as far as you can as fast as you can, then get one of these kick arse beasts and enjoy.

I have read the official figures on the MPG, which are nice; but how about in real life? I do 40,000 miles per year, 90% of which on highways at 70 mph - from Slovenia

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 45339

Mike Bailey, Lancashire

Peugeot 407 2007

I’ve been driving for 38 years and this car is the best I have ever owned. It has everything that I want fitted as standard. The ride/roadholding is superb, brilliant engine returning mid 30’s MPG for general driving and I have had close to 60 MPG on a long trip to the South of France. Very good six speed box that gives the diesel engine very close to petrol engine performance. I wish that Peugeot would bring out a CC version of the Coupe, that would be my next car without a doubt.

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 45284

D W, Durham

Peugeot 407 2005

The car is faultless but the dealer service is something to desire ie., they don’t understand what perforation rust to aerface rust on the rear door handle area (they dont want to do anything that costs them), the rear door handle is fitted by a child with no consideration of what pig iron (the bolts) does to painted areas " rust " now sorted by me.

Submitted: 2010-02-17 | ID: 45285

John Liddiard, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 2003

Good all-round estate car. Very comfortable. Could do with more power.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-01-28 | ID: 45293

Eddie Carroll, Warwickshire

Peugeot 407 2004

Hi, Have just bought my 54 reg 407 hdi derv last week with 47000 miles, very pleasd with drive ,looks great but having read the reviews watch this space.

Submitted: 2010-01-12 | ID: 45294

Gez G, England

Peugeot 407 2004

I have had few regrets in my life but buying this vehicle by far, is the biggest!! I can only take a little comfort to see I am not alone!! (sorry), My beautiful head turning Pug, conceals a host of problems steming from depollution error codes to early clutch replacement. WARNING!!! Please turn away from the gaze of its beauty or you too will turn to stone!

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 45358

Tino, England

Peugeot 407 2005

The Worst car ever. I’ve had to replace 2 x clutch, 2 x dual mass fly wheels and the ABS block.

Submitted: 2009-12-11 | ID: 45297

Glen Burnett, England

Peugeot 407 2005

My girlfriend purchased a Peugeot 407 SW new in 2005. It has been a wonderful car and we have loved it, but for one small thing. We seem to blow headlight bulbs about every 6 - 12 months. In Australia, these are not a cheap item and due to their position and fittings, quiet difficult to replace. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can shed some light on possible causes of the problem and especially how to fix it. I’m going broke keeping the headlights on!!!

Submitted: 2009-11-26 | ID: 45359

Carl Durrant, Cheshire

Peugeot 407 2005

This is the worst car I have ever bought. Everything has gone wrong; the Dual Mass Flywheel has gone twice and the clutch 3 times as a result. Also the Turbo twice, EGR Valves SIX times then an Engine rebuild due to a Sticking Valve and now the engine goes into ’Regeneration" every 12 hours !!!! Everything costs the earth to replace and no one wants to touch it as it has an engine management system that only the main dealers seem to have all the software for. A wonderful vehicle to drive, but I would STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. My repair bills over the past 4 years come to £12,000+ because the Warranty People decided that the vehicle had been used in "ARDUOUS" driving conditions and therefore was Out of Cover? Bring back the 406 GLX Estate - FAULTLESS!

Mine did too when I first got car, and cassette player fast forwarded if I turned radio off. I replaced the fuses as some of them were wrong and/or burnt out, but the player’s ’brain’ had been fried so couldn’t reset passcode. Disconnected it completely and replaced it with CD player when I could with no further problems - from Devon

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 45295

Edward Reddin, Kent

Peugeot 407 2006

I have had a Peugeot 407 SW 2L automatic since November 06. The car is wonderful to drive, is very comfortable and has also been extremely reliable with no major engine problems. The car seems well worth its cost and more! The automatic gear box is smooth and was very easy for a novice automatic driver to get used to. All in all a splendid car and one well worth buying.

Submitted: 2009-07-14 | ID: 45331

Graham Stamper, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 407 2005

My advice would be not to get one. The looks are fine and the space and ride comfort are good. The economy and performance of the engine are what you expect of a Peugeot diesel. So what’s the problem, it is very bad electronically, and constantly needs to go in to be reset. The garage I bought it from got sold and the new main dealer doesn’t fill me with any confidence. Services are fairly priced but as an example other repairs are expensive - clutch £1000, fuel pump £700 and sensors £200. Let me put it like this; my old Mercedes-Benz, with 120,000 miles was more reliable.

Submitted: 2009-06-15 | ID: 45391

James, England

Peugeot 407 2007

I had the 406 and was over the moon with it, but I now find the 407 looks good and drives well BUT... Big car on the outside and small on the inside, not enough space in the boot to put my golf clubs and trolley. Not sure what the glass roof is meant to offer me?????. And very very low to the ground. I am sure I have more scratches under the car than an old banger racing car. The seats are not as good as the 406; a bit small and hard.

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 45390

Dave Bass, Derbyshire

Peugeot 407 2005

Had this car for 1 year used. Great drive and very comfortable. It is just spoilt by a few faults. I get the odd warning light come on for esp and indicator bulb faulty. Have to reset the ignition to clear. Also tyre pressure sensors are a pain have to keep tyres at about 34psi. But I think the main fault is it could do with a bit more power. I have always felt that it was probably powered by 136 French horses, you know the ones that constantly strike. I had a VW 130bhp previous and it would thrash the 407. I am therefore going to the doctor who claim the can re-map my car to 175bhp. Should cure that. All in all though no horror stories. Would buy another but probably the Coupe 407.

Just to note your tyre pressure sensor are just trying to do their job as minimum recommended pressure for a 407SW is 38psi! - Jon Chad from England

Submitted: 2009-04-27 | ID: 45388

Joe Longley, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2005

I can simply say this car is brilliant; it is great fun to drive and it is extremely sporty for a car this size. This is the best car I’ve had yet - trust me on this you cant go wrong!

What rubbish. These cars are scrap and will be a constant nightmare for the new owner financially and mentally! - Damian Rushe - from

I totally agree with Joe, my silver 2005 2.0 HDI 136 SE has to be the best car I ever owned! Its the best driving car I have ever owned in my whole 30 years of driving. It’s really smooth and composed and even with 155k on the clock she goes as the day I got her new. No problems at all, only complaint I had was that there was no button on the boot lid to open it until my 11 year old nephew showed me were it was. Fantastic car. Also if Damien Rushe sees this comment I just want to say to him he obviously doesn’t know a good car when he sees one, you’re a nightmare by the sounds of it. Goodbye - from County Armagh

Joe, you’re wrong about the 407. You can very much go wrong. For every lucky owner like you, there are several who have to frequently get the clutch changed or have electric problems. Also frequent problems with screen displays. I would say you can’t go wrong. Buy Japanese! - Stan Nixon from County Down

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 45332

Tony Burrough, Cumberland

Peugeot 407 2007

Brilliant car; bought new; great discount; dealer excellent. I bought the car to run as a taxi and so far have had 40,000 trouble free miles, 18,000 on front tyres, amazing. An average of 55 miles to the gallon around town, 60 on motorway. Only wish it had bigger brakes because it’s a bit quick. I will definitely have another - Viva La France :)

This is rubbish 55mpg - ooooooooooh - 60mpg do you think we are all as silly in the head as you. These 407s are the biggest pile of rubbish that Peugeot have ever made... well, patched together. I have owned 205 /2x 306 /5x 405 as taxis/ 5 x 406 as taxis and still running them. Now here is the 407 SW: have two, both have had clutches done, both have abs/esp/speed control problems. 406 are fantastic cars, 1 has 273000 on the clock... 03 plate, the other is 198000 on it 04... These 406s cover 80000 miles on a clutch not 30000 like the 407s. The 2 407s only give 42mpg town, 49mpg on a run. The 406s will give me 47mpg town, 54 mpg on a run and never had electrical problems. 407s ARE RUBBISH - Pet Buck from England

Good car, 68.8mpg over 200 mile journeys using cruise control and common sense - Derek Kelly from Lancashire

I am a loud mouthed tw*t - Derek Kelly from England

Submitted: 2009-02-19 | ID: 45384

Gary Baillie, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Peugeot 407 2006

"DISAPPOINTED". Suspension and steering so badly worn after 30,000 miles and 2 years old that the car was deemed unsafe to drive. These are major safety items that did not last until the 2nd scheduled service, and well short of the 1st MOT. Peugeot repaired all items under warranty, but what is going to happen after the warranty runs out?

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 45353

Ricardos Santiago De Machado, England

Peugeot 407 2007

I bought one of the last 163bhp 2.2 litre petrol 407 Saloons nearly new in 07. It’s the SE Luxury, so adds to the already comprehensive 407 equipment list with half leather, parking sensors and a CD multi-changer. 19,000 miles later and the car has proven faultless. It’s just been in for a set of front brake pads, but to be fair it’s a heavy machine and I can drive her rather enthusiastically. Otherwise, the only other problem has been a puncture - hardly the cars fault! The engine is arguably the best ever offered for the 407 - revvy and quick, but also flexible and capable of tickling along at the low revs on the torque. The 6 speed box helps me get an average combined figure of 36 mpg. So it’s quickish, long legged, with a sublime chassis and wonderfully confident steering, reliable (far more so than the Audi A4 it replaced) and comfortable in a way only the French can do. I’ve heard that diesel owners report frequent problems, but exchange the smoky old diesel for a proper petrol unit and it’s an incredible machine.

Submitted: 2008-11-25 | ID: 45328

Lloyd De Jongh, England

Peugeot 407 2008

I recently bought one after comparing it with the Volvo S80, Audi A4 2.0 S-Line and the Mercedes C class. To be fair, I rented a new Audi for a month and the new Merc C180 for a week while on holiday. Between the two German cars, the Merc wins hands down. I also had the Audi A5 in mind, however the Peugeot won out. My first look at the car was, I think, the decider. It’s different, it’s masculine, has a fantastic interior and great features. I would have paid significantly more for a German car with the same performance and features... and it’s great to be the driver of such a rare beauty. Performance, comfort, style and exclusivity in a fantastic package from Peugeot. I had never pegged myself as a Peugeot driver until I saw this in a window and decided on a whim to have a look, but now I’m convinced. It’s a great car...

Submitted: 2008-11-14 | ID: 45355

Alan Varnham, Gwynedd

Peugeot 407 2005

Disappointing vehicle from start. £24,000 for Executive SW 136hdi , top of range >>>>> That`s where it ends. 800 miles and `STOP` break failure sign appeared. Took to dealers > reset computer and modified brake pads fitted. ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD ? 6 months passed and then emission/depollution control warning light appears > dealer did not have one in stock so cannibalised car in showroom. `Clonk` on front suspension > modified mounting washers fitted. One year on ABS / ESP light on , no sat /nav working. > reset computer, new ABS unit to o/s/f. Year 2 , ABS / ESP light on again so another 60 mile journey to dealers > reset computer , new ABS to n/s/f. Reversing warning system constant `bleep` when in reverse especially when wet > cleaned out units. Every time car is washed - - same trouble. Later year 2 the ABS / ESP light on again and no sat/nav > 60 mile to dealers, reset computer and new o/s/r ABS unit. Year 3 reversing aids again `constant bleep` and sometimes not working. 3 weeks BEFORE warranty expired ABS /ESP light on again, another trip to dealers > cleared fault, reset computer. 2 weeks AFTER warranty expired ABS / ESP light on again , another 60 mile trip. This time told that it needed a new ABS unit to n/s/r and that would be approximately £130. Having argued that the fault had been reported before the expiry date was told that they would have to speak to Peugeot and would get back to me. That was 10 months ago and despite phone calls to them still no phone call received to confirm acceptance from Peugeot of payment for repairs. Needless to say I have not bought another new vehicle from them and to date am still driving with the warning light still constantly on. Have driven to Ukraine and back and with several emergency stops in the past few months. Breaks seem perfectly OK with no `ill` effects. I now know that the ABS units suffer from getting dirty so a good blast of air could do wonders. Oh! and suspension still `clonks`. Good looking car but so many niggling faults. DEALERS ? This car must be their flagship for extracting money for warranty work or vulnerable customers with no mechanical or computing knowledge. It`s a pity that the PLUS`s don`t weigh more than the `MINUS`s. Having been in the motor trade and worked on Peugeot’s since 1967 it is somewhat disappointing that today`s models have so many common faults which apparently have not been overcome despite the many submitted reports. Would I buy another one????

As an update to what I have previously written. After 43,000 miles, it has seized up. The reason? Turbo blown and syphoned engine oil from sump to air intake. It’s a nightmare to get access to turbo, damn nigh impossible. It appears I’m not the only one with this trouble. Peugeot 407, don`t buy one - Alan Varnham from Gwynedd

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 45376

Paul Blitz, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 2005

As others have said, a great car to drive:. I have a 40 mile journey to work along dual carriageway / motorway, and the car is a pleasure to drive. BUT it is marred by having had several faults (all covered by warranty, but still a PITA)... worst one, luckily only doing 5mph, the brake servo stopped... turned out to be a brake fluid leak into the servo. Also, not over-impressed with the level of customer support given by my garage... but that is probably no different from any other garage! With my constant high-speed driving, still get 44mpg in the 1.6HDi, which is nice... and can easily get over 50mpg if I go more gently!

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 45378

Mark Perkins, Dorset

Peugeot 407 2007

A car I had hankered after for a long time; making a mistake and buying a Mini Cooper S first, but sold that mighty quickly for the 407 Coupe. This is a fine, fine car and a good job we don’t all listen to the motoring pundits... it makes the exclusivity just that more special. The car succeeds in every department, from smooth driving and good performance, to the looks of the car; so very singular; not a bit like the other Germanic offerings. I feel that the interior is a genuine high point - especially with the grey leather, well-appointed and luxurious in a way that decent French cars always have been and it is so like being in the very able Citroen C6 with whom it shares so much. A commendable motor carriage.

Submitted: 2008-10-21 | ID: 45354

Clive Langman, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 2007

Performance reports are generally fine... but beware.... in the first 6 months I’ve scraped the overhanging bonnet to bits and I’ve now smashed the fuel pipe and air coolant supply. What on? Speed bumps, drives, kerbs... in fact anything that sticks up slightly from the flat. It’s so low slung it hits everything.

Submitted: 2008-09-03 | ID: 45381

Malcolm Pearson, Worcestershire

Peugeot 407 2005

Bought used from dealer. A really nice car potentially spoiled by niggly faults. Carries five adults with luggage in comfort and is smooth and fast on the motorway. Very good steering and fairly good handling on A and B roads. Good acceleration when needed. Braking is also very very good. Smooth and refined inside with climate control audio system and trip computing all helpful. fairly economical, can do over 50 mph on a long slowish run. Even at high motorway way speeds delivers over 40mpg. Achilles heel seems to be low level niggles - warning lights for lights alert when all is ok. Reverse is great but again false warnings. Front ball joints wore at 30,000 but extended warranty took care. Roof failed and needed re sticking but warranty again came to rescue. Particulate filter needed unblocking. You wonder what will go wrong next which takes away from the other excellent aspects of this classy looking, safe, fast, versatile car.

Do you know how to reset the bulb failure lights please as mine is doing the same? - Mark Gallacher from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-08-26 | ID: 45379

Paul Hines, England

Peugeot 407 2004

This is the worst car I have ever bought. Everything has gone wrong; the fly wheel has gone twice, turbo two times and the engine management light is always on with a dopollution problem. Everything costs the earth to replace and no one wants to touch it as it has an engine management system that only main dealers seem to have all the software for. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 45327

Ian, Surrey

Peugeot 407 2008

Love the car. Great on the motorway or on the A roads. So quiet for a diesel. The doors are huge so when in a tight parking spot, I have found it easier to put down the window than open the door to get out then just keep the lock button pressed on the remote for 2 - 3 seconds and that closes the windows and locks the doors.

Submitted: 2008-06-11 | ID: 45356

Stephen Jones, Essex

Peugeot 407 2006

I purchased this top of the range model at a great price with only 12K on the clock. The drive is magnificent and the engine is full of torque at all stages and has blistering acceleration. The car handles superbly and once you get used to the multitude of switches on the main console it really is quite simple to operate. The SAT Nav is competent and the handfree phone system is superb and allows me to be far more productive on the road than with a Bluetooth connection to a Blackberry. Front tyre wear is typical from this kind of vehicle and a price worth paying for the shear exhilaration of the ride. Always had Volvo before but the test drive convinced me there was another kind of driving experience to be had. So far nothing to complain about. Will definitely buy again as this car is great value for money and safety features tick all the boxes for family protection.

Is it still okay though? - James Smith from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2008-05-27 | ID: 45325

Gaz, England

Peugeot 407 2006

I had the 406 Coupe v6 petrol and that was great so was thinking to get 407 v6 petrol. I’m so glad I did, the v6 diesel is much faster than the petrol with its twin turbos makes overtaking an ease. Great looks a joy to own!

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 45351

Anthony Deakin, Lancashire

Peugeot 407 2007

As fabulous to drive as it is to look at. I’m so pleased I’ve taken the plunge, after initially being worried about depreciation, as this is just a pleasure to drive. The drive is so smooth and it’s so responsive to the slightest touch of the pedal, it’s also an extremely safe car, which for a family car was a huge selling point. Yes, it will depreciate more than others but reasonable running costs, low emissions and the pure enjoyment I’ll get from driving it makes it well worth every penny.

Submitted: 2008-03-15 | ID: 45329

Chris, Berkshire

Peugeot 407 2005

When I first bought the car I thought it was fantastic. Everyone commented on the great shape of it, almost hiding the fact that it was an estate. Boot space was not great but enough for the family. However, things went downhill from there with the car’s reliability. First off, there was a depollution system fault and the cruise control failed. Both fixed under warranty. Then the end of one of the tyre valves snapped off, obviously requiring Pug to fix it due to the pressure sensor. Then one of the tyres developed a bulge, and when the car went in for its service (at a Pug main dealer) they didn’t have any replacement tyres and so left it on the forecourt for me to replace it with a spare! Then another tyre value end snapped off. Then the front suspension failed, but to replace that they had to replace the ABS sensors which were out of stock at the factory for about six weeks, so the car was off the road for this time. So far, however, all fixed under warranty. Then at 48,000 miles the clutch suddenly failed - it went from working perfectly to fully burnt out over the course of about a mile. This time Pug said that it was probably just wear and tear - despite being well under the normal wear for a clutch and driven mostly on motorways - and so they refused to pay for the replacement. Cost £1k to replace the clutch kit. Then there was a split in the CV boot which cost another £200 to fix, again not under warranty. Finally the electric sun blind failed, and when I took it in just before the warranty expired they said that they needed to get someone else to have a look at it a week later. When I took it back, they tried to claim that the warranty had expired. All in all, a great looking car and I may have been unlucky, but the reliability of mine was appalling and the after sales service from Pug was similarly poor. I am now looking to buy a Mondeo Estate as it is winning loads of awards.

Submitted: 2008-03-13 | ID: 45383

Brian Shaer, England

Peugeot 407 2007

Good Looking outside ,Comfortable inside with plenty of room for a Coupe. Very Quiet on the move drives like a car costing twice as much.Also for a car of it’s size very economical. Very Impressed.

Submitted: 2007-12-17 | ID: 45352

Tim Kelly, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 407 2006

Very nice to drive, I do on average 30,000 miles pa so I wanted something comfortable and the 407 SW is definately that. Good family car too. If I could change one thing it would be the long nose which has proved tricky once or twice with steep ramps but all in all a good car.

Submitted: 2007-11-27 | ID: 45382

Piers Simon, Buckinghamshire

Peugeot 407 2007

Beautiful car to look at and very enjoyable to drive but can be a pig to park (there are parking sensors but you have to find a space long enough first)! Other than that minor gripe I’m loving this car and the looks I get when I’m driving it.

Submitted: 2007-10-12 | ID: 45350

Roger Green, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 407 2007

I bought this car because I loved the the look of it - the ride is a smooth one, visibility is excellent and it is very, very comfortable.I also thought that the price was very reasonable and that you get a lot of car for your money.

Submitted: 2007-08-23 | ID: 45330

• A response has been made to Peter Izlakar (08/06/2014 04:34:19)
  • A response has been made to Kamal M I (28/04/2014 21:17:12)

• Eric Jennings's question has been answered: "Had abs/esp light come up intermittently, car went into garage nff, also repeated brake light bulb fail coming up, after spending several days trying - chris b from Switzerland' '..." (23/11/2014 13:15:02)
  • barrie cooke's question has been answered: "Hi I have this same problem, did you find a cure? Many thanks - Dave from Bristol' '..." (14/11/2014 12:06:29)

Peugeot 407 Coupe 2.7 V6 HDI road test report

Peugeot makes the 407 in three distinct versions: saloon, SW (estate) and this rather luxurious-looking Coupé. To a squinting, untrained eye it could just be a big BMW coupe or even an Aston Martin, but even though it’s neither, this comfy tourer has other cards up it sleeve. Performance The 407 c [...]

Peugeot 407 Coupe 2.7 V6 HDI road test report

Peugeot 407 SW Sport 2.2 HDi road test report

The Peugeot 407 SW is one of the best looking estates on the road - with its angled rear and short overhang it has certainly left the boxy estate looking dated. But is it style with no substance? For the average 4.2 family the 407 SW should have what it takes as long as you don’t have any six footer [...]

Peugeot 407 SW Sport 2.2 HDi road test report