Land Rover Discovery consumer car reviews and road tests

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Discovery consumer reviews by year of make: 2004  2005  2006  2007  2009  2010  2011

Land Rover Discovery consumer car reviews

Trevor peden, Antrim

Land Rover Discovery DISCOVERY 3 SW 2004 - 2007

I have owned 4x4 vehicles for longer than I care to remember my current vehicle is the discovery 3 I have never enjoyed driving, UNTIL now yes they are expensive to maintain only if you neglect them. top tip for me was to have it checked VERY regularly by a competent garage ,( we have two nearby) so in conclusion nothing comes close. my opinion!

Submitted: 2014-12-19 | ID: 108151

Andy Miller, Lancashire

Land Rover Discovery 2007

The best family transport bar none, one or two very minor niggles, but they were sorted quickly by the dealer (Lakeland, Land Rover). It’s very quiet and comfortably, with superb practicality and is very easy to drive despite the size. The one and only downfall for me was fuel economy, I averaged 27mpg, but in hindsight I wish I’d have kept it. If you can afford to run it get one, you wont regret it.

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 42220

Lloyd, Aberdeenshire

Land Rover Discovery 2011

Excellent car on and offside.

Submitted: 2011-06-10 | ID: 42215

Gordon Stevenson, Lothians

Land Rover Discovery 2006

Best and worst car I’ve ever owned. Bought new in 2006 and everything ok for first eighteen months or so, bit slow but supreme ride and coped with everything from being family runabout to caravan towcar. After about 30,000 miles the problems started; new steering rack, EGR valves, various suspension bushes and arms, tailgate handle, fuel filler lock, cracked sunroof surround. Worst fault was when just out of warranty, air suspension continually lowered for no apparent reason and all special programs were lost. Took Land Rover dealer over a week to fix the problem (something to do with brake sensors). Finally decided it had to go when whirring noise developed from timing chain area at 45k miles; was told that it was a four to five hour job just to diagnose (@ £120 an hour). Great car as long as it is within warranty, otherwise you’ll need really deep pockets!

I fully agree with the ’best & worst car ever’ line - a good way to describe the car. Best because it did everything asked of it and more and awesome in the snow. Worst because it was unreliable with about £8,000 worth of warranty work required including a new crankshaft sensor for which the gearbox had to come out. Sorry Land Rover, I have owned 16 of your vehicles over the years and been pleased with every one especially the Discovery 1 300TDI, which I still have, but the D3? No - Malcolm Manser from England

If your Discovery was a diesel, it has t-belt not a t-chain. I think you had a bad dealer instead of a bad car, got 130,000 on mine, only egr valve problem that I blanked off with 2 two pence coins. Simples - Tommy Bassett from England

It is a cam belted engine, but one cam is belt driven on each bank and the other cam is chain driven of the belted one - from Kent

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 42216

John Johnson, County Londonderry

Land Rover Discovery 2009

I bought my discovery with 14k miles on the clock, it has been fraught with problems ever since. I changed my 2006 Terrano, what a mistake it was trouble free from new. Anyone considering buying a Discovery, no matter how cheap please don’t do it.

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 42219

A Hell, Wiltshire

Land Rover Discovery 2007

Fantastic car when everything is working, trouble is the same fault happened every 4-5months. The problem was associated with the automatic hand break release, which knocked out parking sensors, slow gear change, reversing light etc. we were told this is a continuous generic fault with LR which required the clutch being replaced. The clutch was replaced but still continued to register a fault after several months. On the 6th occasion with the same fault LR said the clutch had gone again and refused to honour its warranty, leaving me with a £1500 bill, impressed was not a word I could use. The dealership could not believe the headoffice approach and could only offer a 10% labour cost reduction as their hands were tied. There I was thinking that this car can go anywhere and do anything yet can’t even handle the school run, the car is just over 2years old and only 21k on the clock, so to say I was ’appalled’ at LR stance is an understatement to say the least. Sold the LR and bought a JEEP Grand Cherokee, which whilst isn’t quite as refined they are at least realiable and as capable off road as a LR. Would I buy another LR "ABSOLUTELY NOT" and would advise others to stay well clear until LR can sort out the problems on reliablity, which they are renowned for being appalling at and honour their commitments to warranties.

Submitted: 2010-09-21 | ID: 42214

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Land Rover Discovery 2010

It all started when I was a student working on a Shropshire estate, struggling to subsist and dreaming of fame and fortune, which never came. The Colonel did the rounds in a spanking new Range Rover (The first of the breed back then) and I reassured myself that one day I too would have such a vehicle. Not for me the temperamental supercars that would only run on a billiard table. I regularly borrowed the gamekeepers old Land-Rover and knew that these vehicles were the key to REAL adventures as I explored nearly every track across the wild expanse of the Long Mynd. It was to be many years before these wonders of the motoring world came my way again - and each time there has been that same old magic - but never more so than with the latest Disco.4 It has all the ’club class’ comforts that the armchair adventurer could aspire to, with the added bonus of ’go anywhere’ versatility. It’s as comfy as a lounge - but there’s no lounging about when it comes to its ’get up and go’ capabilities. The supplest hides cover capacious seats - but this is no hide-bound hybrid. It’s a thoroughbred of long standing with every conceivable bump and wrinkle ironed out to guarantee magic carpet transportation for the modern age. A short acquaintance is enough to convince most aspirational and potential owners that it doesn’t come much better than this. A modern icon of many years standing, the new variant manages to combine the best of all that has gone before with the best of all that is cutting edge today. Try as they might, its competitors simply can’t match its solid sense of poise, purpose and Olde English luxury. Capable, if need be, of traversing the Steppes of Asia or the Sahara Desert, it reserves its best discoveries for the lucky owners who will never cease to be amazed at the cornucopia of delights that the designers have packed into this eminently practical status enhancing machine that will sit five in the lap of luxury, with loads of space to stretch out. On the test car I enjoyed heated power operated seats, a heated steering wheel, a ’park heating system with remote’ so that the inside was toasty warm when I climbed aboard, an all-round camera system so that I didn’t bump the £50,000 (or thereabouts depending on your option choices) HSE top of the range beauty, a Symphony Hall sound system and even a television - but one can’t help feeling that it’s always the Discovery that is the star of the show. With huge power and great tranquillity it puts an extraordinary ability into the hands of the driver - be it on or off-road. Restyled at the front the revised model is yet more imposing. The real changes though have taken place under the skin. The latest model is quantifiably a better car than the old 2.7 version. Now with 3.0 litres of turbocharged and intercooled V6 diesel producing 241bhp, performance has increased dramatically and in line with this, bigger and better brakes reassure you. It’s now as quick in everyday use as most saloons, with a top speed of 112mph and a new ability to overtake like a charging rhino - thanks to massive torque from virtually tickover revs. Combine this with the uprated six speed gearbox with its silky smooth changes and you can despatch dawdling traffic effortlessly. The only problem being that you will frighten the vicar’s wife in her Nissan Micra into thinking that Armageddon has arrived as a 2,500 Kilo projectile shoots past so quickly. ’Yes, but it’s surely a fuel gobbling monster’ I hear you say. Well, I’m pleased to report that I got well over 30mpg overall - which was actually better than that of a new Fiesta automatic tested recently! Chassis engineers have been at work too. Unbelievably for a vehicle of such size and stature the Disco is beautifully fluid in its responses, yet imperturbable in its control. The new variable-ratio steering is a lot more precise when you’re hustling along. It simply annihilates the sort of road that would test a skilled driver - and it is done with such wonderful ride comfort. Off-road it’s so good that even the most cynical motoring journalist colleagues go weak at the knees and slack jawed at the awesome ability. Switchable systems for snow and ice, sand and anything else give it an ability that could only be equalled by Chris Bonnington in crampons. A giant in the annals of the history of motoring, Land Rover’s Discovery presents a convincing argument that one has tried them all - but settled for the best.

Submitted: 2010-09-18 | ID: 42213

Paul, Leicestershire

Land Rover Discovery 2005

The best drive and the best tow car ever. Let down by continual niggles and minor faults. Initial experience under warranty was worse still, but moving away from the supplying dealer for further work and servicing has improved the ownership experience. Economy is marginal. I average 23mpg and have only once averaged 30mpg on a long motorway cruise at a restrained speed. When towing 2 horses in a heavy trailer, the car is fantastic, making it easy to maintain progress while providing the horses with a very smooth ride. Other minor niggles: Constantly blowing 10Amp fuses if you allow the windscreen washer fluid to freeze; the Plastic toggles holding the cover over the towbar electrics break for fun, I buy them 5 at a time, the last one broke without being touched. Park Distance Control Sensors are the most unreliable I have encountered, a badly placed jet-wash gives you a parts bill for £33 + VAT & Labour. Would I have another one? Probably, there is nothing to touch it; better than a 5-series on the Motorway and better than anything else as a tow-car. And it seats 7. I would just hope for better luck with reliability. I would also go to the dealer who now services the car (18 miles) and avoid the dealer who supplied mine new (6 miles).

Submitted: 2010-02-20 | ID: 42210

A Carter, Lincolnshire

Land Rover Discovery 2005

After 4 yrs/60k, the Disco remains in my view the best family/offroad car in the business. Early software niggles were soon put behind, very patiently and efficiently foc by the dealer (who has been expensive but first class dealing with routine servicing/recalls/warranty stuff etc). 6sp manual now loosened up and with the aid of ecu upgrade (reputed to knock out a much more respectable 230bhp), can regularly achieve over 30 mpg; even with roofbox, 5 bikes, 4 kids, 2 adults and fully loaded, the Disco returned 28mpg across France. (Car computer tends to read about 2-3mpg higher than actual). Huge reseves of torque mean it still pulls like a train from 70 - 90 mph when on French motorway even loaded with holiday gear and roofbox. The vehicle will go anywhere I normally need it to go, whether out on the farm or on the school run. Historic worries about Land Rover’s (un)reliabilty have compelled me to purchase extended warranty but all OK so far. I am so glad I didn’t buy a Pathfinder.

Submitted: 2009-09-10 | ID: 42211

Andy Lines, England

Land Rover Discovery 2005

Well, what can I say? I’ve had Nissan’s, Toyota’s, all types off 4x4s; even Land Rover Defenders and Range Rovers but have never had a driving experience like the Discovery 3. I paid £18,000 pound for mine in 2009 on a 05 plate... totally brilliant car. I never get bored of driving it, it feels like a £60,000 car. It is very good value for money... if you want a fantastic all round 4x4 buy the Disco - nothing can touch it.

Submitted: 2009-07-28 | ID: 42212

Roger Gregory, Hertfordshire

Land Rover Discovery 2006

There is nothing that even comes close to the driving experience, on or off road, of this car. It is the definative SUV/family car/thrill ride and it’s British! This is a car I will never tire of driving and just don’t see me owning anything else again.

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 42222

Malcolm Robinson, Cumberland

Land Rover Discovery 2006

After having a variety of so called premium 4x4’s including the BMW X5 3.0D Sport, I can honestly say this is the best car I have owned. It is incredibly spacious and versatile, it can carry seven in comfort, has great road manners and off road it’s untouchable. The downsides are the acceleration isn’t as good as it could be and the leasing costs are silly. Overall a great car though.

Submitted: 2008-04-04 | ID: 42223

Ian Dukenfield, London

Land Rover Discovery 2007

I’d heard terrible things about this car since purchasing mine so it was with trepidation I finally took delivery in June of this year – I needn’t have worried. Touch wood, everything is so far working as it should and it’s given me nothing but pleasure. Well done Land Rover, a very solid and refined car.

Submitted: 2007-08-13 | ID: 42221

Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE Luxury SDV6

Land Rover’s fourth-generation Discovery plays in an SUV market that’s almost unrecognisable compared to the one the original Disco entered in 1989. We now live in a world of luxury SUVs, where sat-nav is more important than ground clearance and where leather seats take preference over locking di [...]

Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE Luxury SDV6

Land Rover Discovery 4 road test report

A new 3.0-litre V6 turbodiesel, borrowed from Jaguar and retuned by Land Rover to suit their particular needs has transformed the Discovery from merely brilliant to quite possibly the best, most rounded SUV money can buy. The Land Rover Discovery 4 works brilliantly whatever role you want it to play [...]

Land Rover Discovery 4 road test report