Ford Focus consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Focus consumer reviews by year of make: 1997  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014

Ford Focus consumer car reviews

Doug Ward, Greater Manchester

Ford Focus FOCUS HATCHBACK 2005 - 2007

I have had many cars over the years, this being my first Automatic! I love it when sat in traffic, the ease of driving plus comfort. I suffer from joint and back pain but only on entering and leaving my car! I'm reasonably comfortable, still in some pain on long journeys, but I take painkillers that allow me to drive. My Ford has given me lots of maintenance free mileage passed all its MOTs. Heavey on Road Tax and Fuel. Being retired now, I don't use it much, a tank of fuel lasts me 5/6 weeks. My wife has her own car, we use mine for shopping and grow up kids Taxi. I would definitely purchase another Automatic in future. A Ford, of course, a pickup, maybe a duel fuel if I could afford one

Submitted: 2017-04-19 | ID: 140750

Len Tack, Oxfordshire

Ford Focus FOCUS ESTATE 2011 - 2014

I purchased this car in June 2015 with approx.. 9 months manufacturer's warranty still to run. However about 7 months out of warranty the power steering stopped working and it cost me £1495 to have a complete new electric power steering module fitted and reprogrammed. You do not expect a component such as this to fail at only 62,000 miles!!! I was advised by the company that I purchased it from that it needed to be taken to a ford dealer to have it fixed that was my big mistake as the genuine ford module was £703 plus 4 hours labour at £130 per hour plus vat. I was about to go on holiday so I had to get it fixed quick otherwise I would have shopped around to get it fixed a lot cheaper by a garage not tied to a dealer network. I have since complained to Ford customer Service but without any success needless to say I would never buy another Ford car. I have since seen on the web that there have been a lot of owners complaining about this power steering fault especially in the USA with Ford having a lot of law suits taken out against them

Submitted: 2016-09-28 | ID: 135562

ibinengi backahaw, Nigeria

Ford Focus FOCUS HATCHBACK 2001 - 2004

My ford eats alternator. But I love the car. Pls any solution to this.

Submitted: 2016-07-15 | ID: 133557

Dave Martin, South Yorkshire

Ford Focus FOCUS ESTATE 2001 - 2004

Bought my Focus estate which is an ex police car after my Corolla packed in as a cheap runner and so far I`m very pleased with it. The car is comfortable and roomy and I really like the drive. It has got high mileage at 196k but it has been well serviced and still drives like a much newer car. The engine pulls well especially on the motorway and I was surpriced to find that I am getting better fuel consumption than I was getting from the old Corolla which had a smaller engine. The only fault I`ve had so far is that the abs & traction control lights have come on twice on a long run. Both times I pulled in at the services, turned off the ignition and by the time Ive been for a coffee and started the car again they`ve gone off. It doesn`t affect the brakes or drive in any way so I`m guessing it`s a sensor fault. If that`s the only problem that I get from the car then I would rate the Focus a very good buy especially if you`re looking for a reasonable sized family car that isn`t going to break the bank.

Submitted: 2015-03-08 | ID: 112993

MAlcolm, Hampshire

Ford Focus FOCUS DIESEL HATCHBACK 2011 - 2014

I find the 2012 model focus I drive ticks all the boxes for comfort economy it has a good solid dependable feel in all road conditions its also a good looking car its 1.6 diesel has so much torque it feels as if it is a 1.8 engine which my previous 4 cars had ( all focus ranging from style to zetec ) I can spend up to 6 hours a day driving with my work all in this car.

Submitted: 2014-09-04 | ID: 102620

roy hughes, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus FOCUS HATCHBACK 2011 - 2014

can u have a deliverance pack put into your car even if you are still using your car ie model is a 63 plate

Got a focus titanium x nav 63 plate would like to know if u can have deliverance pack installed. - roy hughes from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2014-08-05 | ID: 100940

Keith Warnell, Hertfordshire

Ford Focus 2007

Bought and used on company business so I could get some sun while out and about. 132,000 miles and never gone wrong apart from a headrail seal replaced FOC by Ford, there was a recall apparently. Reasonable economy of 37-43 mpg from 2.0 petrol, but suffers round town a bit due to weight. Not the fastest thing on the road, but adequate and no 4 seat convertible is a sports car! Handles well as it actually has ST suspension as standard. Huge boot which swallows everything needed in normal life. I now have a Saab 9-3 diesel (but stlll have the focus to sell in spring) and the boot is nowhere near as good and has less features as standard. I may sell the Saab and have the CC3 "refurbished" as it has no peer in my view!

Submitted: 2014-01-16 | ID: 40011

Bernard Forrester, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2010

Good work horse, roomy enough and nice shape. Seems heavy on steering, but has been very reliable on 20k- 30k since I’ve had it. 34.4 mpg around town.

Submitted: 2013-12-24 | ID: 39848

Les Henderson, Renfrewshire

Ford Focus 2012

Since my first report I have found that Sony only make the control panel on the dashboard for the VERY EXPENSIVE OPTION and that Bosch make the system but Ford sell I as Sony product. I must say the car itself is good but this extra is useless and Ford themselves took over 8 months to admit this. I would think they are contravening sale of goods act by selling it as a Sony product.

Submitted: 2013-11-11 | ID: 40053

Eugene Stander, South Africa

Ford Focus 2005

Great car and I’ve had great service out of mine so far. I bought it from Ford and it was a lease car with 16,875 miles on the clock. I’m on 62,500 miles plus and not a day of problems. It still drives like a new car. It’s got amazing handling in a mountain pass. I’m not one that pushes too high speeds all the time but now and then I’ll test the limit in nice flowing bend and it’s got amazing grip. It’s very easy to work on. I do all my own servicing since the car ran out of the service plan.

Submitted: 2013-10-01 | ID: 39847

Robin Boyd, England

Ford Focus 2012

The windscreen wiper on the passenger side my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback hits the edge of the frame and makes a loud banging sound.

Your wipers can be reset to stop this problem mine were reset by the windscreen company when the screen was changed now working perfectly. - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 39843

Robert Henderson, Renfrewshire

Ford Focus 2012

This replaced my Focus RS and the car is excellent apart from the sat/nav, which has many faults and my Ford dealer and Ford technical do not seem to have the information on how to repair. On the main screen when on a selected destination it will show and say turn right in 500 yards and at the same time on the small screen between rev counter and speedo it will show turn right in 500 FEET. Also speed camera warnings are useless as they only show a small triangle (red when on selected route and only give a single "ping sound" a few feet from camera.No lead up audible warning as one gets with Garmins etc.To get prior warning one has to take eyes off road to look at screen-dangerous. The cost of this option from Ford is very expensive and definitely not worth the outlay. In fact it is not fit for purpose.Four months have passed and Ford are no where near to fixing it.One of their comments "its too new" that should not be the buyers problem.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39845

Peter Langridge, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus 2010

Bought my car new. It broke down after 12 months and was off the road for 3 weeks with clutch and gear selection problems. 12 months later it broke down again with same problem and was off the road for just over 1 week. Seems it was ’fit a new part each time’ until fault was ’cured’. The car is totally unreliable and fuel consumption is nowhere near those stated in the book details, failing by about 10 mpg and I pride myself on being very frugal. If only I had my 1.8 back with no stop/start to add to any problems and was more economical avereging 64mph

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39846

Rob Hill, Dorset

Ford Focus 2008

Bought our 1.8 petrol Titanium last year and wish I hadn’t. on a couple of times the engine has cut out, but started fine. The dealer can’t find fault. now the a/c has packed up. It’s had a re/gas, but now needs new condenser £400+. I have used the a/c each week to keep it "going", but an independent Ford engineer said a stone is to blame. Rubbish on fuel, only getting 37’ish to gallon. F.O.R.D.-Found On Rubbish Dump!

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39844

Bob Henderson, Scotland

Ford Focus 2012

I took delivery of new Ford Focus ST3 30th Nov 2012 with a number of expensive Ford options. Initially I could not get a fully compatible smartphone and Ford could not help much as any model they suggested was out of date. After about 6 weeks and a lot of pressure from myself they eventually suggested 4 phones one of which I now have. The main problem is the very expensive option I purchased namely a Sony DAB Radio/CD Navigation system with rear view camera and SYNC in-car connectivity. The navigation system is poor and the speed camera/problem warning is virtually non-existent unless you take your eyes off road and watch sat.nav screen for small warning triangle (black when used without input destination and NO audible warning at all. If input destination function is in use the triangle is red and again you have to watch screen for it so eyes off road and the audible warning is just a quiet single ping sound when you are on the camera or incident, with no prior increasing audible warning as one gets with a very, very much cheaper Garmin or similar portable satnav.) I have had contact virtually on a daily basis with Ford CRC and occasionally the dealer and neither can sort the problem and Ford technical say it is "too new". Another fault with it is that the main screen on a designated route will show turn right in 500 yards and say this as well but on the small screen between speedo and rev counter it shows turn right in 500 FEET. Again Ford do not have any idea how to fix it. This option is a total waste of money and not fit for purpose. Sorry I ever bought it.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 40052

Colin Sears, Hampshire

Ford Focus 2012

Quite simply an amazing piece of engineering. I am 61 and have driven and owned many cars in my life. Some have been very good and some have been poor, but the all round blend of ride, poise, comfort and accomplishment offered by the Focus is outstanding.

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 39831

Becken Michael, London

Ford Focus 2006

I bought my Focus in a second hand car fair with high mileage. The car´s superb in almost all respects. It´s comfy enough, safe solid and is pleasent and fun to drive. It’s also ultra economical and its style is modern and attractive. Problems till now? None. The car’s fine!

Submitted: 2013-01-26 | ID: 39832

Angela Sherman, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus 2009

It is a nice car to drive and looks good with sheepskin covers on it. I cannot get used to the very high break level as I am not a very tall person and have to lift my leg up every time I brake. It is an automatic. The Ford garage said they are made like this on purpose and cannot be altered. When I can afford to get rid of it I shall.

Submitted: 2012-11-25 | ID: 40008

Steve Daley, Surrey

Ford Focus 2009

Owned the automatic 1.6 petrol ls version of the Focus. Pros: Nice boot space; reliable; nice interior; good looking car. Cons: Heavy on fuel, 17mpg urban and 28 mpg combined; expensive on road tax due to 184 c02 emissions; uncomfortable seats on long journeys. If you are thinking about buying one of these in an automatic keep clear of the 1.6 model as it is very underpowered and feeble considering it is an automatic. I got rid of it in the end, the only reason being the running costs.

You must be unlucky or have a lead foot? I get 28 round town and 44 on motorway - Chris Parkes from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2012-09-25 | ID: 39833

Julie Bates, England

Ford Focus 1997

A nice family car, but its cost me a fortune since I’ve had it as it has failed its MoT two years running. Time to get rid as it’s too old now.

Submitted: 2012-09-25 | ID: 40036

Steve Fowler, Kent

Ford Focus 2007

I swapped my Focus ST for my Focus CC3 and it was the best move I have made. It has good all round performance, style and looks. I’ve had no problems with leaks, it’s just good fun to drive more so in summer. Loads of fun, well done Ford. Top car!

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 40010

Roy, Bedfordshire

Ford Focus 2007

I had an 07 TDCi Zetec, which ran trouble free for 2 years, so much so that I did not do anything to it. Wrong! I should have serviced it on time as the turbo went one winter’s day (oil went all though turbo), which cost £1400 to get sorted by a local garage as the dealer wanted over £2000 as due to lack of service the warranty was no longer valid. Once a new turbo was fitted, oil change and a complete airway clean out the engine was very, very good once again. The moral of this story? If you have a turbo change the oil at least once a year!

Submitted: 2012-08-25 | ID: 39836

Phil Child, England

Ford Focus 2008

I’ve had my car for three years and although a very good drive, which keeps going no matter what, there are two things which I’d strongly suggest to other owners that I have learnt to do at my cost. 1). Do oil changes more then regularly, it does not only effect the engine but feeds the turbo and any containment will damage the turbo at a cost a 1k+. 2). Get the particle filter checked regularly as there’s no indication it’s blocking, the self clean does not always work and it’s expensive to replace. Both these faults you will be told are common faults AFTER they have gone wrong, and it’s down to poor design.

Submitted: 2012-08-22 | ID: 39835

Mark Rumis, Essex

Ford Focus 2002

I’ve had a Ford Focus 1.8 tdi for five years with two cam belts, four oil changes and 270065 on the clock. It’s an absolutely wonderful estate car and the 1.8 tdci has a bit more go.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 39837

Kevin Spicer, Cambridgeshire

Ford Focus 2007

Brilliant car, excellent handeling, lots of torque, comfy seats, a little thirsty but the noise from the 5 cylinders makes up for that. Never fails to put a smile on my face, highly recommended.

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 39838

Mihangel Ap Gwilym, Isle of Anglesey

Ford Focus 2011

Very reliable and decent MPG, but poor build quality and aftersales from Ford. Poor paint quality, which marks very easily. The driver’s side carpet underlay is soaking wet for no apparent reason and inspite of numerous visits to the dealer, it is still not sorted. It will be going soon as I am fed up with it. I will probably go back to Peugeot, which gave me faultless service for 5 years!

Submitted: 2012-06-30 | ID: 39839

Gary Hipkins, England

Ford Focus 2012

First let me say I wasn’t a Ford fan until the new Focus came along. I’d looked at all the rivals and mostly they were boring to look at or drive. I came from a new shape Honda Civic, which was a good car although it had a very hard ride, and I didn’t like what Honda had done to the newer shape. (What have they done to the rear lights?) Anyway I’ve had the Focus for 10 months now and I’m glad to say that it is the best car I’ve ever had; brilliant to drive, good turn of speed, an excellent interior, well put together and made of good quality materials. Also all the gagets do what they say. I had slight problem with it running a bit rough for a time, but I took it back to the dealers and they downloaded some new softwear and now it’s running sweet again. I really do enjoy driving this car and if it’s as reliable as my Honda it will be an excellent car.

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 39842

Andrew Duncan, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2010

I’m surprised at some of the very negative reviews. All I can say is that having now had TWO CCS Cabriolets that they have been the two best cars I have had in 35 years of driving. The roofs have been absolutely brilliant, people love to watch it open or close (which makes me chuckle, but embarrassed) and both roofs have been absolutely trouble free. No leaks or noise problems. Very nice to handle, steering is light to the touch and responsive. The automatic gearbox is very smooth and easy to use. Nice Sony entertainment system with iPod connectivity as well as voice control. All round fun cars.

Submitted: 2012-04-30 | ID: 40009

Robert, England

Ford Focus 2012

I went from a 03 Mondeo ghia x to a 1.6 petrol Focus titanium and oh, how I’m regretting it. This car is gutless, too small, 30mpg in rush hour traffic, the rear wheel bearings are made of cheese and now to top it all off my engine management light has come on and I think that the engine isn’t cooling down properly. I’ve only owned this car for 1 month and I’m sick of it already. The best thing about the car, honestly, is the stereo! I should of spent a little more money and bought a Golf. The Focus is a rubbish car in any spec.

Well the Titanium 1.6 is useless due to power to weight ratio. Had you bought a 2.0l you would have noticed a huge difference - Nick Blignaut from South Africa

Submitted: 2012-04-03 | ID: 39840

Mark Chilvers, Norfolk

Submitted: 2012-03-18 | ID: 39826

Sami Mahi, London

Power full car, nothing wrong with it. Just go for it, trust me!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-29 | ID: 39825

Graham Chendler, Suffolk

Ford Focus 2003

A cracking engine, which averages 67+mpg on runs, if you keep her about 62mph. The car has done 210k to date and uses no oil at all. I have had a DMF fitted at £700, ouch! But if the job had been done at a main Ford dealer it would have been an even louder ouch. A couple of sensors have had to be replaced but that’s about it. She is a good workhorse, but the time is coming when she will have to go.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 40050

Phill Fionda, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus 2007

Overall I’m slightly disappointed. I bought the car with 36k and one previous (motability) owner. I have now added 10K in 18 months. It is nice to drive, handles well and feels well built, the gearbox is precise and the steering is tight. However, does this car like a drink?!!! On a motorway run, keeping it down to 60mph, I get 45mpg and that’s with no load, however, I play in a band and with my share of the gear on board (not excessively loaded) this reduces it to 37-40mph with no heavy acceleration and careful braking. Around town I cannot get any more than 33mph unloaded and driving ultra conservatively. A bank holiday run to B&Q for a couple of bags of sand, cement and garden gear resulted in barely 30mpg. I’ve had previous company cars, which were all Focus estate diesels and these just seemed to give 50mpg whatever you did, town, motorway under load or empty!!! I would advise you spend the extra and go for a diesel, I wish I had now. Also the road noise on the motorway is also excessive. If you’re at the end of your budget, don’t do what I did and buy a newer petrol car, pay a bit more and get a slightly older diesel, you’ll get a better car I believe.

Sorry, my mistake, my previous company cars all did 50 miles per gallon, not ’50 mph’ as I stated - Phill Fionda from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2012-02-16 | ID: 40037

Brian Moore, Essex

Ford Focus 2009

I bought a used Focus estate just a year ago. It is fast with good acceleration. As it is a ghia the specification is, if anything, over the top slightly. The six speed box is great, especially on motorways and use of the cruise is good when our overcrowded roads allow. It also has voice control on radio, cd, and phone plus blue tooth. So far I have had no problems, but the car has only 33k on the clock. The hand book is good but thick as a novel. It has a noisy cabin, but new tyres may answer this problem.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 40039

Neil, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2008

I bought my Focus in March 2011, it had about 33,000 on the clock and still had warranty cover until the November. After about a month or so I noticed juddering so I contacted my local Ford dealer who were frankly useless. I was assured a new fuel filter would solve this problem as Focus’ were prone to this if there was any dirt in the filter. This didn’t solve the issue. I visited another Ford dealer who wasn’t my local branch. They told me the software needed to be updated and this would solve the problem. As it is now six weeks out of warranty I’ll have to pay. But! And this is the painful part, I was also told the clutch release bearings are worn and it would cost me £1200 to replace. All this on a car barely over 3 years old and with now only 35,000 on the clock. I’ve contacted Ford customer service twice now as I think this is very bad for such a young car. As I anticipated though, I’ve had no reply. I previously had Peugeots and both of them exceeded 100,000 miles without anything so major going wrong. This is my first Ford and frankly I am appalled at the standard of them. Ford are not interested in even replying let alone offering any form of goodwill. I aspired to own a Focus as my father owned the mk1 version and it’s been perfect for nearly 10 years. Even he is disgusted by what’s happened with this car and, like myself, will not be purchasing another Ford.

An update on this: Ford customer care contacted me and although both people I spoke to were very helpful the bottom line is Ford deem it acceptable for a clutch to need major repair work even at 35,000 miles. And it is just classed as normal wear and tear. After forking out just under £9,000 for this second hand car I expected more. First chance I get the car will be sold and I will never touch a Ford again - from Yorkshire

Gee whiz second hand you say. Mmmm let me think. Perhaps the previous person/persons drove the clutch to the condition in which it was and then you came along and it decided to pack up due to previous abuse. Just a thought - from South Africa

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 39828

Peter Greenwood, England

Ford Focus 2011

I’ve had five focuses so far. My 2.0 litre, 6 box tdci is excellent on speed, roomy and fuel effecient. I love it and it’s my 1st diesel. Wow!

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 39827

Susan Gregory, England

Ford Focus 2007

My Focus Ghia is 07 plate. I have two problems, one being the alternator stopped working and I had to be towed home and the fuel sensor has gone, so if I have a quarter of a tank in fact then my car is empty, I would not expect these faults in a 4 year old car.

Submitted: 2011-12-12 | ID: 40051

Jim James, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2009

This is my fourth Focus and my second diesel. All have been ultra reliable and brilliant to drive. So far no problems at all and I enjoy driving it every time I go out. Diesels get over 50 mpg and considering how they whizz along this is quite remarkable. I find comments on bulid quality a bit unfair as they are often compared to VWs when thay are not in that price bracket. Buy a second hand one and you get a real bargain. You really have to take one on a quick sprint along some twisty B roads to appreciate the handling.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 39817

Charlie Westen, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2002

I love my car to bits. It’s great to drive and only has 55k on the clock which is genuine and it’s like having a newer car. My sister has a 1.4 2007 reg with 53k and paid £7000 I paid £2,500 when it was only 44k so I think it was a steal. The only issue I have is my nearside rear bearing; I had the bearings and drum changed 10months ago and now the whirly noice has returned and another garage have said it’s another £200 for the bearings to be replaced again. I must say I’m a bit disappointed at that and I hope this isn’t going to be a yearly issue as my others are fine?! I find that odd. But regardless of that it’s a great family car and I plan on keeping it for many years.

Just for peace of mind, if the bearings keep going, could be that the geometry of the car has been compromised ie: a smack can reflect on the price as well. Hope that I am wrong, does it break in a straight line if you let go of the steering wheel? - from England

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 39818

Al, England

Ford Focus 2011

My petrol engine model was completely gutless from the start and after less than 2 weeks ended up in the garage. It coughed whilst driving at speed on the dual carriageway and pulling out at junctions and roundabouts became terrifying. It has been there over 7 weeks now and despite the garage trying lots of different things and being in contact with Ford engineers, it still isn’t fixed. I’d be very wary of buying one of these until Ford get their act together. I am really disappointed as it seemed a nice car, but I’m not able to drive it.

Although I don’t own the new model, my 2007 Focus has just cost me £800 to change broken valves in the cylinder. Only had the car just over a year and this shouldn’t happen in a car with low mileage ie. 35k. Even Ford said this was highly unusual! My advice is to stay clear of Ford full stop, I wish I had - Sara Bignell from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-10-05 | ID: 39820

George, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2008

Really bought as a "stop gap" when needing a car in a hurry and offered a good deal by local dealer, and took a Titanium as that was the only 2.0TDCI available. I find the spec rather bizarre eg. heated seats (why with cloth trim?), but no climate control, which I find unforgiveable on a supposed top spec car. General driving is ok, with reasonable performance and economy and a decent sized boot. It has a Weird seating position, which feels mpv-like even with the seat at the lowest setting. Also the vehicle seems to ride 1-2" too high as if the suspension has been raised in an (unsuccessful) attempt to improve the ride, but to the considerable detriment of the handling (too much roll, very vague steering). I have had some problems with erratic running; stalling, accelerating on shut throttle, which is rather disturbing. I took it for its first service today and was told an updated engine management software has been uploaded; I hope this helps. Overall, not a bad car (especially for price paid), but certainly not the involving drive promised by various reviews and (in my opinion) nowhere near as good a drive as earlier Focuses or the current Fiesta.

Submitted: 2011-09-30 | ID: 39822

David, Northumberland

Ford Focus 2010

Before buying we read various magazines and websites to qualify our choice. The 1.6 TDCi came out top. We bought a full option (leather,Sat nav, Zenon follow me headlights,rain sensor wipers etc.) model. I must admit one year on I find the road noise unbearable, the seat comfort poor on long runs and the diesel engine, in my view, is noisy during urban runs. We get 54 MPG max which is not bad? Worst of all is the depreciation of the model and the new model is cheaper even though they have applied better technology. Too many on the road they say and Ford’s part ex offer is derisory. So we are getting rid of it and although it has all the bells and whistles I will not be sad to see it go.

I have just been given a 1.6 tdci Focus hatchback as a company car on a 61 plate. The car is easy to drive and fairly comfortable but I find the road noise on certain surfaces very loud and even with the radio on you can still hear it. Very poor for a car which only has 12,000 on the clock. I drive all day and by the end of it I cannot wait to have some piece and quiet. Looking at the reviews, this seems to be a common problem with the Focus - Andrew Goodall from Hampshire

I HAVE A FORD FOCUS 1.6 TDCI 61 PLATE AND I AM ON THE ROAD ALL DAY AND I FIND THE ROAD NOISE UNBEARABLE. I SPOKE TO FORD ABOUT THIS ON LAST SERVICE AND TOLD THEM TO CHECK STEEERING ETC AND THEY SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. THEY DIDN T SEEM TO THINK THE ROAD NOISE WAS A PROBLEM. BELIEVE ME IT IS. SOME SURFACES ITS LIKE A TANK. IT IS A COMPANY CAR SO NOT ALOT I CAN DO . BUT I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A FOCUS TO ANYONE. - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-09-19 | ID: 39823

Andy Goodall, Hampshire

Ford Focus 2009

Fast for a 1600 diesel. The handling is okay, the interior is okay, the thing I find really bad is the road noise no matter what surface you are driving on. Even with the stereo loud the noise is still bad. Very poor for a popular car. The diesel engine is a lot noisier than other diesels, especially against the Vauxhall range. I had a Vauxhall Insignia diesel for a day and it was like a Rolls Royce compared to the Focus and road noise was very low compared to the Focus.

Submitted: 2011-09-16 | ID: 40040

Mike, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2008

Bought this car with 3,000 mile on the clock, amazing car to drive, had no problems with reliability. The engine is plenty big enough, easily enough power to overtake and pull away from junctions. Overall, a brilliant car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 39816

Amir, Malawi

Ford Focus 2008

Bought an ex-demo two years ago with 40% off the new price. Impressive handling with confident manoeuvrability, she responds well in tight corners. My wife knocked a Nissan X-Trail four months ago and burnt my pocket for tow truck and repair X-Trail front bumper. My Focus has just a scratch and dent a bit of her front tire fender. She’s really tough, it’s worth the money spent for just for her toughness. The only downside is she drinks more fuel than expected, gulping an average of 9.4L/100km (compared to other C-class segment at about 7-8.6L/100km). Overall, it’s worth buying.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-09-05 | ID: 40049

Jim Tanner, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus 2010

I am very pleased with my Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec, although I am only getting 40 mpg instead of the 52mpg Ford indicate. I like the headlights, the boot space and the room inside the car; my last car was a Ford Mondeo 2 ltre, but the Focus is still very good compared with that. The car is in white, which looks very nice, the car is one year old and is soon due for its first service, I paid for the 3 year servicing so it should not cost anything. The ride is a litle harsh, but this maybe due to mine being the Sport model? I don’t know. I would recommend the Focus, but as I have said, do not expect as many miles to the gallon as Ford advertise.

Submitted: 2011-08-16 | ID: 39815

Rob Welch, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2005

Best car we have ever had: 58.4mpg, handles really well, 3 door face lift version. The only fault in five years is the fuel sender which tells lies. It says it’s 1/4 full when really it’s empty. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 39814

Sam Cull, Wales

Ford Focus 2011

What a car, my favourite!

Submitted: 2011-07-11 | ID: 40047

Chris Benson, England

Ford Focus 1999

I’ve got a Focus 1999-2000 reg, petrol, five door 1.6lx, but it seems to be having problems because dark grey smoke is coming out of the exhaust and manifold under the bonnet. To be honest I’ve been looking this up on the internet and can’t seem to find advice why this is happening. I would say it’s a pretty annoying problem. The Focus is an ok car, this is the first one I’ve had. I only got it today and I’m having this problem already so it’s kind of put me off the Focus, even though I like the look and how comfortable they are.

Submitted: 2011-07-01 | ID: 39813

Amy, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2004

The only problem with our 54 plate focus it the bearings on the wheel, which had to be changed a few months ago for £40. It’s been reliable for 2 years, but we’re trading it in this week for a 2007 model. We bought it from a company car dealership; there’s a lot of miles on the car, but usually only 1 previous owener and full service history. Tip: Get a second hand car with a recent MoT (within the last 8 weeks).

Submitted: 2011-06-27 | ID: 40035

William Starr, Wallis and Futuna Islands

Ford Focus 2011

It is ugly and not a cool car.

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 40006

Rebecca, Middlesex

Ford Focus 2005

Bought the 1.6 lx automatic Focus in 2006 when it was a year old and for three years the car was absolutely brilliant with no problems at all. BUT it’s started to go down hill quite rapidly: The car has done 34,000 genuine miles and been regularly maintained, however, at 4 years old the offside wishbone needed replacing then at year 5 the nearside one also had to be replaced. OK not too bad so far, now the major issue is the spark plugs filling up with rusty water and causing the engine management light to flash on and off. This problem is a common fault with the Focus and although Ford knew about it and were going to recall the cars, in the end they never did anything. (and some will deny all knowledge!) The concensus of opinion is the water either comes from the badly designed water jets (which sit directly over the engine) or its water "from somewhere" getting into the core plugs. All this is expensive to try and sort out (which doesn’t always happen) so your back and forth to the garage spending lots of £’s each time. Until this nightmare developed I was very happy with the car, now I wouldn’t advise anyone to chance buying a Focus because when it goes wrong it certainly goes wrong in a big and expensive way. So beware: as long as it doesn’t rain, you don’t use the windscreen washer/wipers, don’t wash the car and most definitely don’t put the Focus through a car wash, you might be lucky and escape this common fault.

I am having similar issues with my 2006 registered 1.6LX, worked wonderful for four years but has developed a fault such that it jerks and loses power on accelerating. I have had several trips to the garage to fix it, with the "heating circuits changed". It helps for a few weeks and the problem re-emerges - from Leicestershire

I had a speedo stop working on a Fiat Ducato, which is the same van after all. It was a sensor in the gearbox but the garage swapped over the whole box telling me the box was sealed and non serviceable. It wasn’t my problem fortunately because it was still (just) in warranty. God only knows what a new box would have cost me along with fitting - Steve Blacker from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 39796

Jamie McNiece, Northern Ireland

Ford Focus 2009

Bought my Focus in 2009 from Linsday Ford in Craigavon. With 33,000 Miles on the car I am far from pleased with the car. Firstly you can’t carry petrol to it, I am constantly putting petrol in it. Secondly I don’t find the seats comfortable on long journeys and tend to have a sore rear end. Also on anything but the smoothest surfaces the road noise is unbearable and you tend to be turning up the radio quite loud. Lastly the cabin quality isn’t anything to shout about, the lower dash and door panels are very scratchy and quite uninspiring to look at. Moreover, I have had a few electrical glitches where the radio sometimes wouldn’t work or the door locks wouldnt flick open. Also the heated windscreen is bit of a gimmick, the heater in my wifes 2004 307 CC demists the windscreen faster in the cold mornings. Overall I wish I didn’t buy the car, I was looking at a new Peugoet 308 or Astra and I wish I bought one of them instead!

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 39800

Lorraine Motley, Surrey

Ford Focus 2009

Got this with sat nav, tinted windows and I love it. Never had a problem, had it serviced first time last month (on a 09 plate!) still drives like new. Sometimes a bit gutless when pulling away if you don’t quite catch it but only £30 a year road tax on a 1.6 diesel, i’ll put up with it. Overall excellent car.

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 39799

Rob Skulte, Warwickshire

Ford Focus 2010

Have tried all ways to set the steering to comfort or sport, but nothing comes up on the menu. Would like to use comfort as I use hand controls and standard gets heavy on a long run.

Submitted: 2011-03-04 | ID: 39788

Shane, Ireland

Ford Focus 2007

I bought a 2007 3dr Focus from new and still have it. But one regret I have is not getting a bigger engine. The 1.4 is so sluggish and under powered. 80hp in a car that size just isn’t enough. In the 4 years I’ve owned it I’ve only had one problem, a pipe for the powersteering burst, wasn’t an expensive fix either so didn’t really mind. All in all very happy with the car.. Time now for an st!!

How much did you pay?! - Nick Kuti from England

Submitted: 2011-02-09 | ID: 39789

Charlene Hughes, County Armagh

Ford Focus 2006

I bought my Focus in October 2006 and I’ve hated it ever since! I sold my old 2000 Peugeot 206 1.9d to my sister and decided to buy this car and I truely regretted selling the Peugeot, it never gave me any trouble at all and to this day my sister is still driving about in it and has still had no problems with the car! The Focus isn’t nice to drive, it’s uncomfortable to sit in and is generally unreliable. The engine has been a big problem in terms of not wanting to start, also the turbo had to be replaced. The interior is horrible, lots of the dash panels have either fallen off or are about to fall off! I had to get 2 new shock absorbers for the back when the car was still in warranty, I took it to Ford themselves and they refused to fix it under warranty because "It was my fault, not the cars". I’m a 28 Year Old hair dresser, not Colin McRae! In the end I got 2 new shocks off a Focus from the scrapyard. My friend in work has an 07 308 HDi 1.6 Sport and she hasn’t had any problems at all since she has owned it, I find it a lovely car to drive, fantastic looking, lovely and comfortable and really economical! Guess what my next car will be (308)... Overall, Dont buy a Ford Focus!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-29 | ID: 39792

Jen, Lancashire

Ford Focus 1999

Bought ours 2 years ago (T reg) from local guy with full service history. It has been the best car ever! When this one finally decides to give up, we are definatly getting another. Only thing I can fault it on is the window misting up but that’s not the end of the world : )

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 39791

Michael, Devon

Ford Focus 2006

After 3 years happy motoring (car bought 1 year old in Sep 2007) the faults appear to mounting alarmingly. Little did I know when I purchased this car that I needed to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter every 37K (at a cost of £400), however, every time I take it for service it seems uncanny that a further fault needs attention! The car is approaching 70K miles and the bills just keep on coming! The latest problem to appear is a high-pitched screeching noise from the engine compartment when I accelerate to above 2000revs (in any gear). Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was needed to rectify it? Make no mistake, this is a good car to drive but reliability is becoming an increasing problem - so much so that I’ll be going elsewhere for my next car.

Regarding your dpf, I have a Citroen C5 diesel with a dpf and it will self clean if periodically driven at around 2-2500 revs for about 10 mins. The problem arises if the car is in slow or start/stop traffic so every so often give it some welly and that should prolong its life. My dpf should have been replaced at 75k but it’s currently on 78k so fingers crossed on mine. With all the problems that diesels have (dpf, dual mass flywheels and clutches, turbos etc) is it really worth it - cheaper tax, slightly better mpg over an economical petrol car. I am looking for a petrol car but her indoors must not know about until I’ve got it - Keith Morshead from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 39794

Henry Richards, England

Ford Focus 2007

I’ve had a couple of problems whilst I’ve owned my car mainly bushes going first on my suspension now they have worn on my steering arm but other than that its an excellent car I’m really happy I bought it.

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 39793

Rob, Kent

Ford Focus 2007

Best car I have bought. Solid, hard wearing, good on fuel and nothing ever goes wrong. I would highly recommend it to anyone.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-04 | ID: 40034

Gary Perkin, England

Ford Focus 2008

I have been a motoring nut all my life, I am now 75 years old and have owned many, many cars, but this car is perfect in every way. Well done Ford, 25000 miles and not even a squeak or a rattle

Submitted: 2010-12-26 | ID: 40048

Chris, Cheshire

Ford Focus 2003

Ford Diesel technology must be lagging behind all their competitors. The Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi has to be one of the most unreliable cars I have ever driven. Starting problems, especially in winter, is very common with this vehicle. The Internet is filled with complaints from owners regarding inability to start when cold. Changed to date have been heater plugs twice, crankshaft sensor, mass flow sensor, injectors stripped and overhauled, battery, starter motor etc. Ford patrols are fantastic but having owned two Ford diesels I will never buy one again. The cost of ownership far outweighs any benefits from fuel economy.<br /><br />

Owned a 2003 Focus tdci for 4 years and the only problem I have is with the dual mass flywheel. I never had a breakdown, it just kept going and going - Chris Dodd from England

Have owned a Focus 1.8t for twelve months and found it to be utterly reliable. No starting problems, running problems and regularly run up and down the country with it. Fuel consumption equates to other cars of same engine size. No serious corrosion problems. I am 6 ft 2 and find it very comfortable to drive and cruises comfortably at the current speed limit - David Bean from England

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 40031

Keith G, Staffordshire

Ford Focus 2005

Very good car, it has done 187000 miles some of it pulling a 6 berth caravan.

Submitted: 2010-11-14 | ID: 39812

James Tanner, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus 2010

We purchased our brand new ford focus sport on 1st August 2010, we are very pleased with it. it is a brilliant white, which we think, (my wife and I) that the colour sets it off. It is keyless ignition and has a multitude of extras, the dash mounted menu set up takes a while to get adjusted too. the mpg is not as good as the brochure says, that says 52 mpg extra urban, the best we have got is 43 extra urban, this may improve as the car is "run in". We are impressed with Perrys of high Wycombe, who have telephoned us twice to enquire if we are satisfied with our choice, which we are. The salesman at Perrys was excellent, explaining everything to my wife and I, and made us feel as if we were the only customers that he had to deal with, and yet there were other customers waiting to see him.

Thanks Mr Tanner, I have just bought a Focus Zetec and your review was helpful - Marianne Garety from Scotland<br /> <br />

Submitted: 2010-11-01 | ID: 39810

Paul Carey, Hampshire

Ford Focus 2009

We have 2009 cc3, all I can say is fantastic car. We drove through to Italy and loved every mile of the drive, after 10 hours driving got out as refreshed as when I got in. Our roof does not leak but water is getting into the boot so this is going to be looked at. The boot space is by far the biggest out of all the cabriolets I looked at, even with the roof in it. As for the niggles comments I don’t think he was awake when he tested the car. If you want a great cabriolet buy one of these Fords.

Submitted: 2010-10-01 | ID: 40007

Paul Rowles, Kent

Ford Focus 2007

Bought our car in 2007. It is a Ford Focus Ghia Tdci. We bought it for cash. Never again because there is very bad after sales service. Flywheel went wrong and then the parking sensors. Then pipe in the steering and now for no apparent reason the plastic surrounding the control panel has started to crack and this does not come under the warranty and they expect us to pay £400 to have it repaired. We have always bought Fords but after this experience would not again. If we had known the problems we would have gone for a less expensive car because we feel we have wasted £13,000.

Submitted: 2010-09-07 | ID: 39802

Lucy, Somerset

Ford Focus 2007

Bought this car in 2007, lovely to drive, handles really well, decent enough power for engine size. Lovely spacious boot, easily large enough for a  double buggy, plus associated ’essential’ junk! Had no real problems with the car, except exhaust rust and one on occasion ’blowing out’ on the motorway... but it was still driveable to garage! Great petrol consumption, smart interior and there are 116,000 miles on the clock and no sign of the power loss mentioned in other reviews. Fingers crossed that continues! Would buy again, and now looking for an RS!

Submitted: 2010-09-06 | ID: 39804

Jessica Wilson, England

Ford Focus 1999

I bought a Ford Focus and wish I never did. It’s been nothing but pay, pay, pay since I got it. Before I had a little Fiesta and regret letting it go. The Focus has had new speed sensor, new air flow meter, new spark plugs and leads basically new everything and it’s still losing power. I would never ever buy a Focus again, nice car but burns a hole in your pocket.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-05 | ID: 39803

Colin Whittock, Cambridgeshire

Ford Focus 2007

Having had a Vectra SRI, it took a long time to get used to a smaller less powerful car and TBH, I hated it. But, it’s grown on me. It seemed the Focus was not as economical as the more powerful Vectra (and that still holds true) but you have to drive economically to achieve best results from the Focus. The best economy comes in speed bands. Its more economical at 36mph than 30, more economical at 65mph than 50mph...and so on. Use the computer, you soon see where it works best. If you drive it hard, you’re going to gulp the fuel. I guess the 100PS engine just isnt quite powerful enough for economy. Its zippy, but if you’re a tightwad like me...its hurts your pocket. I’ve had it about a year...its ok on long journeys, its ok round town if you avoid constant stop starts (that really hits the economy). Everything works as it should, no reliabilty issues. Nothing bad to say really other than the tyres are a bit noisy and the engine a bit raucous...but it is a relatively base model. I’d definately buy another Focus, but perhaps a more powerful version. Constant stop start town driving, IRO 35mpg. Urban driving at say 35mph, IRO 50mpg. Motorway driving at 65, IRO 46mpg. You can guess I’m not in love with it, but it’s grown on me. I may even be converted to Fords.

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 39801

Chris Turner, Scotland

Ford Focus 1999

My car is actually a 1999 Ford Focus (2000 is the earliest choice for leaving a review?! On a car that was launched in 1998...). Anyway, it’s a 1.8TDDi-powered 5-door hatchback with Zetec trim. I have owned it for almost six years now, And I love it! I should state that I am a mechanic, so I do all of the servicing and repair work on my car. I change the oil at 5,000 mile/ 12 month intervals, I clean the K&N air filter every 2 years, I change the fuel filter at 15,000 miles or 2 years, and the timing belt at 50,000 miles (or I may give it five years depending on usage) The Focus has always had a reputation for being a bit heavy on wheel bearings, and mine is no exception. I always have a spare brake drum in my lock up with a new bearing fitted - although my current set have actually lasted me quite a while this time! The TDDi’s Achilles heel is the fuel injection pump electronics. The Bosch VP-30 fuel pump, and the similar Bosch VP-44 (as fitted to Audis, and some Vauxhalls, among other things), both have a reputation for failing without warning, and sadly my Focus suffered this fate last year. However, because there’s a lot of sentimental value attached to my car, I went out and bought a reconditioned fuel pump from a Bosch approved service centre, and fitted it myself along with all new gaskets, pipework, and a new timing belt kit along with new camshaft and fuel pump gears. Beyond that, my car has only suffered the normal wear and tear items: Brakes, tyres, a couple of bushes, the occasional ball joint, and a steering rack at 160,000. And over the past 2 years I’ve gradually replaced all the brake pipes with new copper replacements. Given that it is knocking on for 11 years old, and it now has over 200,000 miles on the clock, I can’t really complain I love driving my car. Even with over 200,000 miles on the clock, the suspension feels nice and tight, and it is a confidence inspiring car in the corners - the harder you corner, the more it grips! The engine is sweet as a nut, and besides my fuel pump problem, I’ve only had to replace a fuel injector pipe (£25 for a set of four in 2005) and a turbo boost hose (I paid £60 for a set of blue silicone replacements), and just today, the oil pressure switch (£15). Again, on a car with over 200,000 miles, that’s very good going! The engine still pulls like a train, and still returns an easy 50MPG. There is only one downside to owning a pre-2001 TDDi, and that is the road tax. Pre-2001 cars fall into the "over 1549cc" tax band and pay £205 for a year (2010 rates), whereas post-2001 cars have 143g/km emissions and currently pay just £125 for a year. However, that is not the fault of the car, but the fault of the government. Everything else about my car - the way it looks, the way it drives, the easy maintenance, the reliability, the fuel economy, the comfortable interior (which is still looking new) - I just love. Back when I bought the car, my dad was adamant I’d be disappointed and want to replace it within 12 months. 6 years on, and I want to keep it for another 6 years at least!

Chris, thanks for your great report. I’ve had my 1999 1.8 Zetec petrol for 7 years now and it is a very good car. I also drive a Honda NSX and a single-seater race car, so have no doubt when I say the Focus is a great drive. I wonder if the rear wheel bearing wear because the rear wheels work so hard in the corners when compared to other cars...that’s a positive by the way. I read your review only as I’m considering changing to a 2009 version. The Mk 2 was a design disaster, whereas the Mk 1 looks fresh and up to date even now. My only dissappointment is my air-con is dead; a leak in the evaporator under the dash we believe, not an easy fix. I am nervous about changing to the larger, heavier versions in case I lose the agility and driving feel that my Mk 1 has. Have you any thoughts/opinions on the 2008-2010 ’facelift’ model? I am thinking of the 1.8 petrol Titanium version - David Garnett from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2010-07-22 | ID: 39805

Patrik Sestak, England

Ford Focus 2005

I bought this car 2 months ago from private seller and after 3 weeks starts my nightmare. First, what I’m doing when I buy new car is changing oil and oil filter. Mechanic in service said that was on time to change...? With new oil car starts driving like old 50kw diesel, noisy with shaking, losing power. When I opened the hood on engine there was oil leak. This cost me £200 for diagnosis and fix oil leak, changed some plastic on turbo. For noise, shaking and lack of power diagnose says: egr fault, flywheel fault - repair in High Wycombe, Bosch service cost £1600 :D very expensive parts for this engine, "special" dual mass flywheel. cool. After changing the flywheel and egr after 20 miles dies alternator. Nice. What can I say? Nothing, back to service, fitted new alternator. Driving back home, oil pressure warning light comes on!!! Now I was not sure what is wrong ’cause car was driving smooth so I drove to nearest service in Aylesbury. 6th service wants to take the car for repair. After 30 minutes waiting they said that it’s oil pressure switch fault but they don’t have it and I must wait another day. Cost me £71. One more thing is windscreen and rubber around it. 5 years old car and this rubber is hard and coming off from glass. I need to change it and thank god for insurance costs me only £75. What a luck. Car got 98650miles, when I bought was 98050, so just 600 hundred miles in 2 months and 90 percent to service. All this cars around 100k are expensive to repair, expensive for parts, especially euro 4 with special filter for £1000 new. I’m happy that mine is just euro 3. Never, never Focus with this engine, for me never in my life Ford again. Lovely my last volkswagen passat with 1.9tdi engine best diesel ever made.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39807

Jonathan Thompson, England

Ford Focus 2006

I’ve had my 06 Focus 1.6 Sport for 6 months now and I’m a regular at the petrol station. What a pig on fuel this is. I wouldn’t mind if it had a bit of get up and go but it doesn’t. It’s been into Ford for hard starting and detonation issues. It had the computer updated and the trouble is still there. I’d hoped the update would have improved the gas guzzling but it’s still at it. The detonation while accelerating is really bugging me and as for motorway driving, its great until I need to pass someone and god help me if its up hill. You can drop a gear or even two if you really feel optimistic but all it will do is suck down more fuel and it still won’t perform. The average fuel consumption on a long run, 500 miles plus, is 36 mpg. I can get that from a Discovery diesel. Ford say everything is ok. I think not. I’ve been a professional driver for 20 years, I know how to do the eco drive, the Focus does not.

Hi mate, I have a 06 focus sport 1.6 and I know it does lack power and guzzles a fair bit of petrol but I find it still quick pokey. I got the 3 dr version and I’ve done a bit of colour coding on it and changed air filter to a k and n one, and gave it a full service and mine seems quick quick most of the time. Ok it would be great to have a better interior, more power than standard 98bhp but with added power comes higher running and up keep costs. I’ll be keeping this ’til the st or rs is within my budget and insurance - David Boughtwood from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39808

Allan Thomson, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Focus 2009

I have bought a 10 month old Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, prior to that I had a 1.6 Ford Fusion. I am actually getting a better miles to the gallon with the Focus, never below 40 mpg, also its quiter, smoother and more comfortable. On the motorway in fifth gear, if you have to overtake , there is plenty of power there, just have to press the accelarator a little bit more. All in all a great roomy car and a better looker than the original Ford Focus.

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 39787

Derek Hancock, Staffordshire

Ford Focus 2008

Having recently downsized to a Ford Focus 5 door hatch (Dec 2008) from a ten year old Honda Accord which I purchased new, I am reasonably satisfied so far, apart from the horrendous body/road boom. The slogan is ’feel the difference’ which for me is ’hear the difference’ Not on the same planet as the Accord I’m afraid, but must stick with it for the time being.

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 40024

Janet Thurling, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2009

Our 2009 Ford Focus decided that after being with us for just TWO weeks it would suddenly roll down our drive with the handbrake FULL on and smash into the drive gates!! The car had been parked for nearly 2 hours when we heard the loud smash. We ran out to find it embedded in the drive gates. FUNNILY enough the dealership we bought it from suddenly wanted nothing to do with us saying it was an insurance job and no concern of theirs!

Funny enough mine did that. I was parked in the city centre for about two hours and it rolled back stopped then rolled back again into another parked car. There was no damage but two police officers were there waiting for me as it was behind a station. Funny thing is I have my car fully cctv system and watched it with the officers they were amazed to see it happen and my handbrake was on fully too, mind you there was a church near us and the Police just said "okay, have a nice day" and ran - Ken Conway from Northumberland

Submitted: 2010-06-27 | ID: 39785

Mrs Smith, England

Ford Focus 2009

I’ve had my 1.6 zetec for 9 months I use it for mainly motorway driving, It is great for long journeys and has the speed when you need it, I just wish it was better on fuel as now looking for new car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 39784

Phil Taylor, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2010

They are great cars. It’s my first TDCi engine and will not be my last! The torque is superb, my only gripe is its narrow rpm range but still you can not have it all...

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 39777

Kathleen, United States of America

Ford Focus 2010

Road noise is driving me bonkers!! Bought the car new. Dealer in my area (St Louis, MO) states that they hear "nothing". Everyone that rides in this vehicle comments on the LOUD noise. Everyone. New tires did not seem to relieve the situation. Numerous shop visits - "nothing wrong....no noise". I know I am not deaf. Any suggestions????

I have the same problem with my 2010 Focus SE. At least the dealers here are honest and acknowledge the noise. They say it’s the tires that they are "feathered" maybe due to past misalignment. They checked the alignment (free) but did not help. I’m not sure if it is indeed the tires or something in the drivetrain; not willing to forkout $$ for new tires on a car with only 13,500 miles. Please let us know if you discover the problem with yours - from United States of America

Is the road noise a vibration/shimmy coming through the body of the car? We have taken it back five times and tyres have been replaced 3 times with 7000K on the clock (3500mile). It is not a tyre issue. Go to an independent mechanic and get a report as to the problem then take it back to the dealer. This is not the only case of this type - many other complaints have been made but smoothed over. This is a product recall being avoided - Stu Coles from Australia

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 39781

Kathleen, United States of America

Ford Focus 2010

Road noise is driving me bonkers!! I bought the car new from a dealer in my area (St Louis, MO). They state that they hear "...nothing". Everyone that rides in this vehicle comments on the LOUD noise. Everyone. New tyres did not seem to relieve the situation. Numerous shop visits - "...nothing wrong....no noise". I know I am not deaf. Any suggestions????

This contributor is obviously referring to a USA car which is a completely different car. This review should be removed. - from

I have a 56 plate 1.6 Zetec mark 2 and the road noise is terrible. I had an 03 plate 1.6 Zetec mark 1 before and road noise was much, much less - Rob Carter from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 39778

Sharren Hussey, England

Ford Focus 2006

I purchased my car alomost four years ago now but in the last year it has cost me over £500 for having things repaired. First it was the alternator and now whilst driving my car the whole power went and the enginer failure light came on. I turned the engine off and restarted it and it seemed fine but then it happened again whilst going around a very busy island. This is the third time this has now happened but does anyone know what could cause this fault? I have always had Ford cars since I started driving but this car has put me off ever buying another in the future!!<br /><br />

Are you sure it's the alternator? There is known fault on the Focus in that the dashboard cluster connections can become loose. Ford recognised this problem in 2008 on cars from 2003 and earlier, but the problem is arising on later cars too, and if you type Focus dashboard cluster into your search engine, you'll find hundreds of posts about this problem from 2002 to the present. This has happened to my Focus, and I'm currently arguing eith Ford about who is responsible for paying for the repair. - Pauline Irving from Merseyside

Submitted: 2010-05-25 | ID: 39776

Adam Pegler, Hampshire

Ford Focus 2007

I bought my Focus in 2009, I’ve had it for about a year now. It was and is a brilliant car. The speed is fantastic it’s comfortable and economic. At first I had trouble with second gear and ended up taking it back to Ford to replace the Gearbox (under warranty). I now have another issue. Does anyone elses Focus have a hole in the carpet behind the clutch Pedal? It’s where the PAS pipe goes through to the Steering. My pedal became caught on this and caused me to crash. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same problem? I am currently trying to get them to repair under manufacturer warranty but with difficulty. I’ve looked up images on the web and managed to see that mine is not the only one. If you would let me know about this little problem your help would be greatfully recieved.

Well well, yes I have had tremendous like for like problems with the brand new 1.8 Zetec Ghia Focus, an absolutely horrid new car. I had it back in 99, the same fault as yours, finally repaired under warranty but other faults were that the brakes squealed constantly on cold; front tyres rubbed badly under braking; the finish was generally poor for a new car; loads of expensive defects so I got rid at a mere 18,000 miles. The dealers were disgraceful; Ford customer services were careless. Go along to your nearest Kia dealership and try the new Ceed SW 1.6 GRDi turbo - without doubt the best car build quality - spec 3 comes with duel control climate and the best fuel at motorway limits (66 to 72 mpg); the best interior quality (up to Audi/BMW standards). Simply great – Mercs are rubbish; Ford has upped prices but lost quality. Quite frankly, the Ceed with its 7 yr warranty is honestly the best spec car ever for around 15k - Jon de Quincy from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-05-21 | ID: 39774

Julia, Hampshire

Ford Focus 2007

I’ve had this car 3 years in August, when I’m due to change it. I’ve had nothing but trouble with the roof, leaking loads, been back to the garage 4 times, the last time it was in for 3 months as they couldn’t source the parts from Europe. In the meanwhile my courtesy car from fords was a Ka, so not impressed with that. Fords customer care has been shocking all the way through, My whole interior had to be replaced and all the seats as we had heavy rain for a week and the leak was so bad. I’m so disappointed as I was so looking forward to this car, the leak has been fixed but that’s been replaced now with the "creaky" roof that others have mentioned, a car 2 1/2 years old shouldn’t be like this, again Ford’s not keen to help remedy this problem. The only bonus for me on this occasion is that we’ve leased this car and it goes back in September....cant wait!!! I shall be reviewing and reading motor report via here before I order my next car!!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-19 | ID: 40005

Ian, Berkshire

Ford Focus 2002

I bought my 2002 Ford Focus 2.0 litre Ghia in 2004 for £8000 second hand from a Ford Dealer. The handling was and still is, brilliant. The ride is great. The escalation is average for a 2.0 litre engine. Body work has only minor scratches through normal wear and tear so still looks good. Same for the interior - still looks good. Some things have not lasted of course. Front tyres wear out pretty quickly but that is mainly due to my driving - well since the handling is so good you just have to push it through the corners dont you?!?! So what else has been replaced?....well the sump was replaced in 2009 due to rust - should have been done before that but I had no money. The wheel bearings and rear suspension link arm bushes were worn in 2009 so replaced for £600. Headlights and reverse lights were replaced once in its life. Break discs and pads as per any other car were replaced a couple of times (again more to do with my driving :-) ) Other than that there has been little or no problems with this car. It’s the car that keeps on giving. Long live the Ford Focus. Mine did. However today I have sold my Ford Focus after 8 years of its life with me for £2500 as part exchange. I thought it was worth more. On Wednesday I get my new car which is not a Focus but a Golf. I will be sad to see that Focus go. Wonderful car. In 2011 the new Focus comes out and I hope I need a second car at that point in time so I can buy another Focus again.

I bought my 02 Focus about 2 and a half years ago and it has been a great car. It was previously salvaged so it only had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it it - now has 133,00 and I really haven’t had to do much work on it except the expected to maintenance a vehicle. Here, recently, we had some severe storms and I accidentally had no choice but to drive it through 16 inches of water and water logged it. The mechanic said it’s done for but this Ford takes a licking and keeps on ticking, so I am hoping to salvage it and get another 100,000 out of it, but who knows, they really are excellent cars and I kinda hate to see mine at it’s end too. Good luck to you and your new car, I hope it is Ford strong! - from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 39772

Adrian, England

Ford Focus 2002

Bought the 1.8 TDCI with 72k on the clock and have had nothing but truble the aircon failed and now the dual mass flywheel clutch is rattling and banging away; lucky the job isnt beyond my own capabilitys as the cheapest clutch kit I found is £360. I think Ford need to do something about this problem, I have had diesel cars now for around 20 years and never had problems like this before, DMFs suck big time. It wouldn’t be so bad if they were cheaper to buy, Ford wanted £1200 to do the clutch; that is so silly as I only paid £1800 for the car. The seats are hard and uncomfortable, the engine is very fast it’s the 115hp one I have. The car itsself feels like it’s made out of tin foil, dents very easily, paint marks very easily. I was expecting more as I’ve been thinking about getting one of these for a long time and now I wish I had just held on to my Citroen Picasso 2.0HDI that I had for two years and never had to do a thing to it, other than tyres and front springs but that’s it. If you want a good car that won’t brake down and cost an arm and a leg don’t buy a Focus get a Picasso.

Submitted: 2010-04-18 | ID: 39770

Paula Hynds, County Tyrone

Ford Focus 2003

Hi, I bought my Zetec TDCI Focus brand new in May 2003 and it wasnt great. I recently crashed it and have replaced it with a lovely HDI 308 SPORT. The Focus started playing up after 2 years with the speedometer not telling me the MPH and RPM. Then the button on the dash for opening the boot quit working and radio would jump stations by itself, to be honest that was all little niggles. But the big expensive problems started around early 2008. Frstly in order to get it into 3rd gear when accelerating from a junction I would have to rev it over 3500 rpm for it to go into gear. Then in the mornings it struggled to start even though it was during the summer months, I got it checked by the AA and Ford themselves and they said it was 100%. So when it came to the winter it simply would not start and it had a new battery. The heater plugs were changed loads of time hoping it would cure the slow starting but it never helped. I had 137000 miles on it when I crashed it and I’m glad to see the back of it. It wasn’t started for over 6 days due to it’s shocking reliability. Not a good car!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-25 | ID: 39771

John Tyas, Oxfordshire

Ford Focus 2002

Brammer car, I have had no problems with this car so far. I am hoping that it keeps me on the road for a few more years as well; I am sure it will, not been let down by FORD before.

Following on from my previous review, the car has now done 111,000 and about to sell it. No problems over the years, although 1.6 lacks any get-up-and-go on inclines - from Devon

Totally agree, Ford’s are really built strong. I have an 02 Ford Focus - it has been a good car for me for the last 2 and a half years. I have gotten 101,000 out of it and it would still be running if I hadn’t of had bad luck in some storms and got flooded out. Who knows, it may even run again but I’m sure you will get your money worth! - from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39767

Ed, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1999

Never owned a better car. Bought with 30,000 on the clock; now got 150,000. Only ever garaged for MOT and a cam belt change. Good fuel economy; excellent drive position and the 1.8tdi has loads of power through the range; tried all manner of other cars when I felt like a change but none seem to have the same grunt, so I’ve kept. Apart from tyres, odd bulbs and a few minor bits I’ve never had to buy much else. I’d now like a change but the damn thing still keeps happily running. I do all my own servicing on a regular basis and maybe that helps. The downside is that during the recent snow, when parked up in a layby for the day some van or lorry backed into the offside wing then drove off (I wasn’t there). Not sure whether to repair (costly?) or just trade her in as scrap!

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 40025

Mo Gordon, County Fermanagh

Ford Focus 2002

I have had this car for 5 years with no problems. Have it serviced regularly and I do a lot of miles each year. A problem has arisen after driving on pot holes left by frost. My speedometer has stopped working and the volume on the radio is rising and dropping at will at the same time. This can be quite alarming as I am not too sure of exactly what speed I am doing at any given time. The mileage clock does not register the miles I do when the speedometer is at zero. What can the problem be? I have been told I could be needing a sensor, a coil pack or an air coolant thingy?! Any ideas Please?!

A lot of these had problems with the instrument cluster, speak to your dealer as they should replace it at a discounted cost - Anna Rack from Kent

It is almost certainly the speed sensor. I had the same problem. The speed sensor can be a bit difficult to get at so I had mine replaced by local Ford dealer, should not be too expensive. The reason the radio volume goes up and down is because there is an automatic volume control to compensate for increased road noise at speed, this is fed from signals to the ECU so that when it gets a signal from the speed sensor it adjusts the radio’s volume. Hope this helps - Ken Brown from Staffordshire

Mo, have you got the problem fixed? If you haven’t then it could be a cluster problem, its quite a common problem and will cost £99 to fix at the Ford dealers. If you search google for a cluster problem there is a lot more detail for a temporary fix using wd40 - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-28 | ID: 39763

Craig Bennet, Somerset

Ford Focus 2003

A very reliable and good fun car. Had it 3 years before growing family forced me to get rid of it. The ride was a bit hard at times but once on the motorway was as comfortable as my dad’s new Mondeo and it took us to Scotland and back no problem doing over 1000 miles in 3 days. It drinks petrol like its going out of fashion but I put that mainly down to a few modifications I had done to it. I never had any major problems with it and kept it well serviced and it never failed me once I would defently buy this car again.

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 39761

Gordon Stephenson, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus 2007

Having gone down from a vauxhall omega 2.2 automatic to a focus 1600 automatic for the reason we wanted a smaller car now that we have given up caravaning & something more ecnomical, we find it is very heavy on petrol. I don’t do a lot of long distant runs so I feel that it should be better, can anyone else give me any figures on the same car? I am getting a average of 21.6 miles at the present time having had the car since August the best return on mpg as been 33 according to the onboard computer could anyone give me any figures on this car if they get better mileage.

I owned a 2005 1.6 auto Focus. MPG 19/22. Went back to Ford several times to be told in a rude manner that there was nothing wrong. Got fed up, sold it and bought a SEAT Altea Diesel. FAB! - Douglas Hershman from England

Hi, I have a Ford Focus Ghia 1.6. Petrol. 2003. Whilst the performance is not brilliant the fuel economy has always been excellent. The lowest it has been is 38.6MPG and that was during our recent spell of bad weather when I was doing short start/stop journeys in traffic. I have owned this car for three years now and I have always kept a log of all the vechicles I have owned. I usually fill the tank when purchasing petrol, then check fuel consumption from one fill to the next. Apart from the instant above the MPG has varied between 40 and 44 on a mixture of journeys. I would be interested in what you think of the performance of your Focus? - Ken Brown from Staffordshire

Hi, I also have a 2006 Focus, it’s spent most of the time in fuel stations Around town. I am getting 270 miles to the tank, on a long run(motorway work) I can get around 370 both before the fuel light comes on. It’s been into a ford dealer who said there was nothing wrong with the car, that’s just how they are - Colin Searle from Cornwall

As I’ve already wrote further up the page, my 2006 1.6 Focus Sport is a gas guzzler. On one occasion I got 41-mpg, mostly I get 400 miles at best from a tank full, it doesn’t seem to matter whether I’m doing motorway miles or a mixture. I’ve done 15,000 miles in the 1 year I’ve had it. When I corner the throttle surges with no input from me, it starts well when the weather’s cold but any other time it seems to take an age to start. Performance is ok unless you’re wanting to pass at higher speeds, 50 mph plus or up hill, then it’s poor. Like most modern cars you use twice the throttle and nothing else happens, other than it sucks away on the fuel. It’s been into Ford, they just shrug and think it’s ok, UK customer service at it’s pitiful best. I’ve had a full service done and nothing has changed. Many mechanics seem to think you’re lucky to get 36 mpg out of one. I actually got the same mpg from a 20 year old 3.1 V6 Cavalier Auto in Canada. Not impressed but can’t afford to change it - Jonathan Thompson from England

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 39753

Robert Hayes, Shropshire

Ford Focus 2001

Bought it in a car auction in Walsall in 2004, now done 145,000 miles had an annoying rattle on gearbox, which stops when you depress the clutch but has got no worse in 3 years so why worry. All it’s cost me is services, tyres pads, etc. I am now told it might need a clutch so I’m looking for, guess what? Another Focus turbo diesel, hope I’m as lucky this time.

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 39762

Rod Bailey, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2007

Hi, I’ve just finished giving my other car 2 stars its a 308. The focus though.....BRILL Love it. Can not put a foot wrong. Never let me down, now done 41000mls all its had is new tyres and one set F/Pads. Now the Bad news. I am now doing 122mls a day to work and back, around 30k a year. Need a Diesel, found one at listers in Grantham I just hope the Yaris D4D Zinc is as good as the Focus. The ford was doing 43.5mpg and hoping to get 60 plus out of the Yaris. So if you need a FAB FOCUS you can find my old one in Grantham. If you turn up as I hand over the keys you can come with your mates kids other half etc., and see a Big guy cry like a babe, no not the pig.

Hi, I actually got rid of my old 08 Focus 1.6 TDCi 110 Zetec and replaced it with a 308 1.6 HDi 110 Sport. I got rid of the Focus because it was simply an appalling piece of rubbish, The electric had a mind of their own and the interior simply fell to pieces on me. I would never recommend a Focus to anybody as long as I live. My 308 is brilliant, even though Ford uses Peugeot diesel engine the 308 was quicker and more economical and it is a heavier car, how I’m wondering?? You would have to be mad to buy a Focus over the 308 - Fintan Flannigan from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 39758

Paul Shallcross, England

Ford Focus 2009

I’ve never had any problems with the Focus and I have owned quite a few. This model is sporty and eye-catching. A great car to drive.

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 39760

Suzanne Parkes, Cheshire

Ford Focus 2006

I bought my focus in 2006 (1600 Ghia) new. The car seemed fine, although I thought steering was a bit noisy (whirring sound), the windscreen water ran out quickly and the air con light was always on. I Took it back to dealers but they said everything was ok. I then took it for its first service 1 year on (8000 miles); first I got ripped off for key fob battrey replacement (£14) and they charged me £28 for oil on top of the service charge £130. When i picked my car up i had only driven for 5mins when the steering felt sloppy and made a loud screeching noise. I had to join the AA as Ford said there was no one available to collect me off a busy A road. They said the Pipe off the Powersteeing pump needed replacing and fixed it. Here is a summary of what has happend upto this weekend: Leeking oil detected in july 2007 - Ford wanted nearly £300 to fix this but I took it to another garage and they fixed for £170 (2nd garage said it was pump but Fords insisted it was the pipe; Had to be towed by AA to garage. Had a new pump and two new pipes - garage found Ford had cut through a barcket and left it loose. My husband asked Ford about this and they said it was common practise. Fords would not take liability for fault pumpp, even though one of their sales assistants admitted 2006 Ford cars have faulty pumps; In September 2009 I noticed more oil leaking. The AA mechanic said it was definitely the pump-, which cost £400 from 2nd garage. Ford wanted £170 for pipes and £550 plus vat for pump without fitting. Sorry for going on folks but Ford after care service has left me incensed. I will never ever buy a Ford or trust them to service my car ever again. I hope this is useful to anyone considering buying a focus 2006 model or any Ford model! PS I had to choose 1 star as score of no stars not available.

So technically you’re giving 1 star because you dealt with a dodgy dealer and got ripped off? I’ve never experienced any of this..nor has the many people I know that own them - Rob Sanderson from England

I totally agree with Suzanne. Ford dealer network and customer services are useless. My local dealership is Linsday Ford in Craigavon and they are woefull, it took them 4 days to fix a problem with the parking sensors. When it happened again i took it to my local mechanic he could fix it in half an hour. I know Peugeot ar supposed to be the worst dealer network but their not. i have had many peugeot bought from main peugeot garages and they are excellent - from County Armagh

Hi Suzanne, I can totally empathise with you and your frustrations. I have recently had a similar problem with my 2005 Focus. The auxillary pump and the pipe leading to the pump both needed to be renewed. The noise that was coming from the car when I was steering was horrendous. I took it to local garage at the end of Jan 10 whereby it was repaired and I was quite happy with the repair. However 7 weeks on and the problem has reoccurred. The mechanic has again confirmed the pipe to the auxillary pump has split and is leaking power steering fluid. Fortunately I only need to replace the pipe. The parts supplier where the garage purchased the pipe and pump for the initial repair have agreed to a replacement pipe free of charge because it was only purchased 7 weeks ago. The supplier informed the mechanic that this is a recurrent problem on the focus due to bad design and this is the most common part that he has requests for from mechanics. Now waiting to get my vehicle back from the mechanics and will keep my fingers crossed that I don’t have further problems - Annie Campbell from Essex

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 39745

Dan, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus 2009

When I got in this car it looked as good on the inside as it does on the out, the shear excitment on my face was a picture. I set off and it drove like a normal car whilst around town, easy on the clutch and fine on the brakes, then on to the main roads it was opened up and my god it pulled like a train. I haven’t been in such a car that pulled in that way. The torque steer adds to the excitment of the drive, fighting the steering wheel that precision feeling makes the drive what it is. The cornering is surreal and handles so well, the continental contact sports wrapped around the RS rims do the job very well. The brakes are excellent although I would have expected a nice Brembo set up, but these stoppers work just as well. It truly is a fantastic car and for the £25,000 asking price it comes pretty cheap for what it is near supercar for next to nothing. Bearing in mind it is only limited to 155 mph and not able to do the 163 mph stated, for day to day driving or a thrash around Wales it is what it is- brilliant.

Submitted: 2009-11-10 | ID: 40046

Peter McCann, Kent

Ford Focus 2004

Bought it second hand from Ford dealer with 6 months warranty left. Initially liked the car... powerful diesel engine, clean gearshift and it drove pretty well with reasonable fuel consumption. Those are the good points though. After a few months I started to get starting problems. Then a funny sound from the gearbox/clutch area. Asked Ford what the problem was and they said pay us £150 to take the gearbox apart and we’ll tell you. Went to local mechanic and diagnosed dual mass flywheel problem. This is a common problem with most diesel engines where the flywheel is made from two halves and bonded together with rubber. The rubber is a vibration cushion and helps prevent gearbox strip-out due to the high torque diesel engines produce. It cost me just short of £1000 to fix. Next problem: squeaky steering arm. Again replaced at a cost or £125. Then more starting problems (new starter motor at £120). The seats are not a patch on my old Astra either. Sold the car. It’s cheap and tinny. I’ll never buy a Ford or a diesel again. I’ll stick to tried and tested petrol engines in the future. If there was a rating of zero, then that would be my choice. Incidentally, at no time did Ford admit to the major dual mass flywheel problem even though they must have known.

Submitted: 2009-10-21 | ID: 40030

Janet Caesar, Kent

Ford Focus 2001

I have just become the proud owner of this Focus today and have found it lovely to drive and interior very nice. But my only problem is I have lost power twice, on both times I was approaching a roundabout and for a few seconds had no control of car at all then it was fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Please help.

I have the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they could find no fault. It didnt do it for a week but it has now happened twice in one day, both times after I’ve pulled up at a junction and then tried to set of again. You’re forced to keep trying to rev the engine until it clears. Now dealer says it `MIGHT`be EGR valve, which will cost £330 plus fitting to replace - Colin Hinchliffe from England

My car did this. The situation escalated so that the car would die at low revs and eventually broke down. It turned out it was the Idle Control Valve which cost me £100 to have replaced - from Berkshire

Hope you’ve fixed the problem by now, but for you or anybody reading this topic my focus used to drop revs considerably when pulling up to junctions. Found the MAF had oil deposits on sensors. Removed MAF and cleaned with electrical spray cleaner. All Fixed !... ps. Ford couldn’t detect it. Sorry Ford but some of your cars can go forever but unfortunately most don’t. I still have problems of other kinds like coil packs going after nine months.(on my 5th now) Why doesn’t the engine management pick this up? Selling as soon as possible! - from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 39749

John, Oxfordshire

Ford Focus 2009

Great all-rounder (interior space/handling) save for: interior design / styling is a bit Soviet bloc for this day and age. Oh, and gearbox on the 1.6 tdci is as precise as moving a hammer round in a bag of nails.

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 40029

Gary Speirs, Sussex

Ford Focus 2007

I’ve been driving my CC-3 for almost 2 years since new. Its fun, a smooth drive, a huge boot and a great drive. With the roof up or down, it feels like a real man’s car - solid, reliable and sexy.... No real complaints at all - and I don’t understand some so-called experts criticisms about its rear end - the shape gives the car a continental coupe image and it provides an amazing boot space, with or without the roof... I am convinced that when I am ready to replace this car, I will go for a newer model of the same - the first time I have ever done that - I love it - pure and simple!

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 40004

David, Essex

Ford Focus 2008

Traded our 06 Focus Titanium in for a 58 plate CC3 at our local Ford dealership (Rates) on Saturday morning... it broke down on Sunday afternoon with total loss of power steering making navigating the extremely narrow winding roads we were on very hazardous! I phoned Rates who said bring it in to servicing. Monday, got in it today and it is driving like a dream again, I don’t really know what to do about it now! If I take it in to Rates from past experience they won’t find any fault until it is out of warranty anyway. Other than that I Love the car - just hate Ford Motor Company. Ashamed to say I worked for them for 18 years.

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 40003

Barbara Wakerell, Kent

Ford Focus 2006

2006 Ford Focus. How do I reset the mpg and average speed read-out as they are way out? Can anybody help? Car is great.

Hi. I am Chris Murphy and I am a reporter. Long shot, but are you the lady with the 96p car insurance? If so can you call me on 07801 029 729. Thanks - Chris Murphy from Kent

Hello, hope this isn’t too late and you still have the car! On the left stalk you have a switch that says "menu", start the car and flick the switch until the display on the dash shows "My Settings" then press the end of the stalk once to select. Flick through the items using the first switch until you reach the item you want, press the end once to select, then release and straight away press again and hold, this will reset the figures. Do this for the avereage milage, average fuel consumption and the trip counter. When you are done return the display to show, total milage, trip milage outside temp. The figures are worked out from the last 6000 miles (according to the hand-book). How to do all this is in your handbook. Hope this helps - Graeme Hall from England

Submitted: 2009-09-08 | ID: 39742

Michelle Nall, Sussex

Ford Focus 2005

Its a very good car BUT you must get the turbo intercooler pipe replaced before it cracks and is out of warranty. I did not and it cost £220 to have it replaced. Also, if you have a complaint and you can’t find the email address of Ford’s complaint department this one works although they’re not happy I’m passing it out - corrospo@ford.com. Many thanks, Michelle.

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 39741

Matt, England

Ford Focus 2008

Positives: The car handles well and the build quality is fine. It has a nice level of standard equipment. The face-lifted model looks very nice. It has proven reliable in the 12 months I have had the vehicle, as was the previous Focus I ran. Negatives: The seats in the Zetec trim are very very uncomfortable, as a high mileage driver that is a problem. The engine is noisy, inflexible and the economy is poor for a diesel. The vehicle is a company car. I would buy a Focus as a private buyer but not this spec or engine. Overall, its a nice car but wrong model.

Submitted: 2009-08-20 | ID: 39740

Ann Moore, Devon

Ford Focus 2005

The worst car I ever owned. I bought it second hand from the local dealer. Electric problems just inside 3 year guarantee, and Ford refused to accept liability saying that the car doesn’t like driving in rainy conditions! Clutch failed; AA came to my assistance and said they had seen it all... Before then the air conditioning failed. Two days ago there was a total loss of gears - good old AA to the rescue again!! I can’t wait to get rid of it. Ford’s customer service is hopeless. All we want is a decent fairly modest estate car. Any ideas?

I’ve just bought a 56 plate diesel Focus Estate. Seems OK, although I’ve only done 50 miles in it so far. If you are looking for a decent modest estate car - and you are completely put off Ford - check the Skoda Octavia range. I’ve been a customer of Skoda for about 10 years (since they introduced the Octavia). My last one was a VRs estate which is a very practical and fairly quick car. At 6 years old and 74,000 miles it was getting a bit expensive to run - hence the Focus Estate - but I certainly had a twinge of regret when selling it. Hope this helps - from Oxfordshire

I must agree with what you said as I have a Ghia 2005 Focus and am having a lot of troubles electrical wise. Same as you have had no help from main Ford dealer, had to find out from different mechanics, places that I could get answers from, also people who know how to test parts that are supposed to be faulty. It keeps going in to shut down mode, especially when pouring down. Have found water damage in my internal fusebox in passenger side. I have had this car from 2008 and had it mantained by competent garages but it is driving me mad. I have had Fords from 1996 but this is the last one I am having. The Ford dealers are more concerned in selling you another car than helping you. A neighbour has a 2010 Focus and is having similar problems, luckily hers is a mobility car so she does not have to pay for repairs. I am not so lucky - John Booth from England

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 40026

Alan, Surrey

Ford Focus 2006

Great family car. Boot space a little short, but very well-balanced, good driving position, and good visibility all round. One problem with dash electrical pod - speedo/rev counter flicking on and off, lighting failed and intermittent nuisance red/amber fail lights. Whole pod replaced at 65,000 miles and worked fine ever since. Cheap to run and goes about 500 town and country miles to a tank of diesel. Would definitely get another one.

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 39739

Jeanette Redding, London

Ford Focus 2006

I have not had a good experience from the word go. Ergonomically, even with an automatic model, the design of the car is all wrong for me - something you don’t find out on the average test drive. I went to a mobility centre for an assessment. The depth of the seat was nipping a nerve behind my knee and giving me parasthesia! I got a wedge to sit on and a wedge for the footwell, which means I am virtually touching the roof while driving! Now I wish I had swallowed the depreciation rate and got a different car because after only 30,000 miles I had to have a new alternator. It was out of warranty by five months. I put it down to bad luck. However, after the power assisted steering pump went as well last week, costing nearly £800 to fix, it is more than bad luck. It has 35,000 on the clock! This car is a lemon. I had a Daewoo for 8 years from brand new and did considerably higher mileage per annum but it never cost as much as this heap of junk to fix or maintain.

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39855

Jamie McMullan, Essex

Ford Focus 2009

Leased my CC2 in January and have enjoyed driving it ever since, although it would be better with a more powerful engine than the 2.0 litre petrol, perhaps the ST 2.5 would be a consideration. Ford have designed a very comfortable, spacious and fun car. The wind breaker is superb and I have had my roof down now for the past 2 months. Can’t really complain about much for the money. The electric roof is very efficient, and the boot space superb. Will certainly be looking to lease another one at the end of the 2 year term. Great website by the way.

Submitted: 2009-07-13 | ID: 40015

CAB Sanders, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2005

"The Ford Focus is defined by its attention to detail. The exterior of the vehicle has a look that is sporty and refined, whilst the interior is thoughtful in design and high in comfort. Whether you choose the sporty 3-door hatchback, refined 5-door hatchback, sophisticated 4-door saloon or the stylish and practical 5-door Estate, the Ford Focus takes the best possible care of you and your passengers whilst making no compromise on the excitement of the drive." OK - that`s the official blurb, and I bought a `55 Diesel Estate 2 years ago on the basis of this kind of puff. Don`t get me wrong - the Focus is not a bad car - just do not believe the puff. The attention to detail (see above) falls way below what Ford were achieving 20 years ago. Items include switchgear, headrests, seats, pedals, visibility, storage, door pockets, the list goes on. Did you know that if you cannot put a child seat in the rear without pushing the front seats too far forward? Or that turning out of a "T" the hopeless headrests combine with the 20cm wide "B" post to create a dangerous blind spot? Or ---- The list goes on. It`s said Ford hired designers from VW/Audi Group to really buzz up the design of the Focus. If true, then VAG must be laughing all the way to the Bank ,to have got rid of their duds. And these idiots spoiled what could have been a very good car indeed. The Focus is "exciting to drive" - true - but it is neither stylish (sort of egg blob), "thoughtful in design", nor "refined". This is one of the noisiest cars I have ever owned - not engine (quite good) - but road rumble. It`s like being rolled down the gravel on Brighton Beach in an oil drum. And as it`s also one of the heaviest (same as my old Rover V8) - one wonders at 1.4 tonnes, (for a "small family car?") why there is no sound proofing? It`s bad enough you cannot have a conversation on most motorways, or listen to the radio, and after an hour or so, it really gets to you. I` d like to like the Focus it`s been bog reliable over 30,000 miles, - and buzzing 4 miles into town, it`s very nice (if you like heavy metal music -I don`t) - but on a long journey it becomes miserable. Only 3 1/2 years old - but it`s got to go. I`ve had enough of it. Badly designed, un-refined, bumpy, rough, noisy, and hard to live with. AS

Submitted: 2009-06-23 | ID: 40043

Mike Clements, Shropshire

Ford Focus 2007

Only visited the dealer twice since new, both times merely for annual/12000m service with no faults reported. Car comfortable and capacious for external size. Only downside is poor fuel consumption. Never got more than 31mpg on trip average. In fact consumption is the same as previous 2.0-litre Picasso petrol auto.

Submitted: 2009-06-18 | ID: 40044

Michael Whittle, Essex

Ford Focus 2003

Overall a very good car. But has had some niggling electrical problems, one finally traced to an ABS sensor connector, the other to problems with the PCB on the dashboard which caused a lot of intermittent problems.

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 39858

Rich, England

Ford Focus 2006

Who ever said the 2.0 TDCi is c**p because it’s a Peugeot unit... how wrong you are!!!!! The EGR valve went because the Peugeot and Citroen variant use hardened steel gears in the EGR valve and when Ford take the engine they use plastic gears inside the EGR - a bit of cost cutting. All the HDi engines built in France by Peugeot are very reliable and never go wrong. My Dad has a transit 2.2 AA van and engine built by Ford and it’s the 2nd transit in under a year, 2nd engine and the Ford dealer have it more than he does.

Yes, Ford are rubbish; their customer service is appauling and they are true rip off merchants. I own a Ford Focus Ghia 1.6. and have had powerstering problems from the word go, which have cost me alot to repair as Ford will not accept liabilty - Suzanne Parkes from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-05-14 | ID: 39856

Dave Owen, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2007

Bought 57 plate 1.6tdci focus from Evans Halshaw. I had the car half a day and a fuel leak covered the engine; then steering pump bearings went. I’ve been back 3 times for same leak and steam cleaning. Excellent drive, superb economy but absolutely none existent customer service from Evans Halshaw. Ford I would recommend but not Evans Halshaw.

I agree that Evans Halshaw don’t care about you after you have bought your car. I nearly bought my 2 litre tdci from them but I felt they could not be bothered about my purchase, so i told them this and the answer I got back was "go and see someone else then." The car I have is spot on, brill 07 with 11500 mls, no probs at all - Trevor Bamford from Lancashire

Could not agree more bought my for from Evans Halshaw had a bad fuel leak staff were pig ignorant and very unhelpful - Charlie Rowland from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-05-05 | ID: 39859

Paul Tasker, England

Ford Focus 2007

This is my second focus. First one a mark 1 and gave me no problems. So far after 18 months, nor has this one. It’s a good car. The mark 1 was more fun to drive on B roads due to hydraulic steering (1.8 mark 2 has electro hydraulic which is worse), better visibility and felt more agile but this mark 2 is much more of an all rounder. Nicely made, no rattles anywhere, smooth clutch and gearbox. Still handles pretty well although in a more mature, sure footed way. 1.8 petrol is good once you get the revs up, a bit lacking in low down torque as per most 16 valve petrols. Diesel probably better cos you’re more likely to get power when you want it and get much more MPG. I get 35 out of this overall. Not too bad, but motorway economy should be better, gearing is too short. Very very stable at speed, side winds barely noticeable but also a bit too noisy. Those 16 inch tyres kick up a fair racket although no where near as much as my mark 1 which was awful in this area. Far from flawless but I haven’t found anything else without significant drawbacks. Its practical, comfortable, nicely laid out (the steering wheel stereo control stalk is ideally positioned), good in every area but road noise which remains a focus weakness, though I hear, significantly better in 2008 facelift model.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 39852

Roy Hague, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Focus 2005

Purchased my 1.6 Ghia auto estate in January 2009 - what a pleasant surprise! Excellent drive, comfortable, very roomy, auto box superb, good performance for a small engine, could extol it’s virtues for ever... superb.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 40045

Keith, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2008

After reading reports on the leaking roof up to the 2008 model... I was wondering... has the leak on the newest models been sorted as I am thinking of buying one?

My ex-girlfriend’s on her CC3 leaked at the first sign of rain plus the gear selector gave up the ghost - Brian Russell from Kent

Submitted: 2009-03-26 | ID: 40012

Lee Brewer, Somerset

Ford Focus 2007

I leased this car for first time. It drives pretty well and is pretty nippy but watch out for knocking noise on front suspension. Had it in garage 4 times trying to cure it; in the end got fed up and gave up. Other than that it is a really nice car; all round plenty of room for kids dogs!

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 39849

John Wiltshire, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2006

This is my second Focus having had a MK 1 for 5 years and this MK 2 for the last 3 years. So far so good with little or no problems at all. To all you Focus owners though check your spark plug receptacles are not filling up with water during heavy rain. It is a common problem and it requires a modification to the windscreen washer nozzles which are letting water by and onto the top of the engine. If not rectified this can cause the spark plugs to "explode". It would have been nice if Ford had contacted everyone rather than having you to find out this for yourself and to contact your Ford garage to have the mod done. Other than that it is a good solid reliable car and I would recommended the Focus to anyone thinking of buying one.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39851

Mark Jones, Wales

Ford Focus 2008

The Focus is a good car - no problems with my Focus.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39850

Sue Andrews, Essex

Ford Focus 2008

I have owned my CC3 since October 2008, very pleased with the car, handles beautifully, there have been no leaks on my car to date. If you are thinking of buying, you run the risk of leaking (haven’t had the roof down yet though, although I know of later CC’s that leak). If you are considering buying one, parking sensors are a must as you cant see much out the rear window. Boot space is more than adequate, I can get two weeks worth of shopping in. I’ve put 18" Alloys on, the only downside is I get a little road noise between 40-65mph but I’m getting used to it now, just turn the radio up!! The car has adequate space inside as well, I would liken it to a Mondeo, its much more roomier than my husbands MK1 Focus, seats are comfortable (mine are leather), voice control button is a bit of a waste of time though, time you tell the computer what to do, you could have done it 20 seconds earlier by pressing a button!

Submitted: 2009-03-03 | ID: 40014

David Setterfield, County Antrim

Ford Focus 2007

This has been my second Mk2 Focus, 3rd just purchased. Overall an excellent motor car with excellent fuel economy, fault free and also comfortable and versatile. Have readily recommended to others...

Submitted: 2009-01-19 | ID: 39853

Steve H, Cornwall

Ford Focus 2000

I bought this car new in 2000. It has now covered around 70k miles, averaging around 42mpg (minimum 38 - maximum 47). It transmits more road noise than expected over rougher road surfaces and the interior storage is not the best, but driving it is still a pleasure. Very reliable so far, although the engine management system indicator lights occasionally if stuck in traffic (says due to a weak mixture on No 1 cylinder). Not a problem - just buy the tool from Gendan Ltd and reset the light. Do not go the Ford Main Dealer - expensive waste of time! My big problem will be what to replace it with! The new Focus is so ugly, although I am sure it is nice to drive. The Seat Leon is looking good, but the old Focus will be with me for a while yet.

Submitted: 2009-01-12 | ID: 39854

Steve Isaac, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus 2007

Nice blend of performance and practicality. Mid-range surge and addictive exhaust grumble are great. Averages 34 MPG on motorway runs but this drops to 23 MPG when pushing hard cross country. No getting away from 224g/km CO2 and resulting tax bill. Brakes resist fade and ABS is not intrusive. Chassis/suspension set up is mini GT rather than hot hatch. Driven as mini GT, for the money, there are not many alternatives that would beat it. If you want a hot hatch then look elsewhere there are better alternatives. Interior is holding up well, nothing fallen off or broken, WD40 has cured seat squeak and odd rattle. Standard fit Recaros are great - fabric grips better than leather on ST3. Have built in sat-nav which is easy to use and works well. Overall, the performance (as a mini GT), practicality and noise outweigh fuel and CO2 - just!

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 39862

Geoffrey Collett, Flintshire

Ford Focus 2008

The car performs perfectly. All the features work. It handles well and fulfils all the manufacturers claims. Seats are comfortable. Space is good at front and adequate in rear. Only slight problem is judging distance behind car when reversing but this is just a matter of getting used to size of boot. Fuel consumption for 2litre car is satisfactory. It has all the advantages of a two seater sports car with the added bonus of additional storage space or space for two extra passengers.

Submitted: 2008-11-03 | ID: 40016

Lisa Hall, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2008

We bought a cc3 2 litre diesel in march 2008 and since then it has been to the garage 6 times to have the leak repaired and guess what? It’s leaking yet again and that’s not even mentioning the creaking roof. With Ford being as big a company that it is I expected this to be resolved quite quickly but no; I’ve been passed from pillar to post and now that we want to reject the car they are saying we’ve got no right to do that but when they took £20,000 of our money for a car that is as defective as it is I think we’ve got every right; it’s a good job we have got leather seats or my upholstery would be destroyed by now and my car would stink. Overall though; if anyone asked me would I recommend the car I’d still say definitely NO - NO! I think they should just give up with these cars and scrap the lot and try again.

Submitted: 2008-10-23 | ID: 40017

Clyde Wiley, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2001

Very reliable car and having done 60,000 miles in it I never had one problem engine wise. The only issue was coil in front suspension. Now upgraded to 1.8 tdci zetec climate 2007 and it’s brilliant. Would highly recommend.

Submitted: 2008-08-22 | ID: 39863

Joaquin Perez, London

Ford Focus 2008

I bought this car in Spain at the beginning of 2008 and in my opinion it is fantastic. Beautiful, good fuel economy, easy to drive, brilliant roof and good inside details. I definitely recommend this gorgeous car.

Submitted: 2008-07-17 | ID: 40019

Phil Knibb, England

Ford Focus 2007

Of all the cars I’ve owned this is the biggest let down of all. Whilst is isn’t a bad car, it is poorly put together, unreliable and although it has a hot hatch engine, the handling is too soft. The interior panels weren’t properly put on in the factory, i had to pop those on and in the back it needed aligning properly, the lights on the dials flicker annoying at times, the turbo gauge gets stuck, the immobiliser is a little too keen - I’ve had to disconnect the battery several times to reset it when it wont start! The rear suspension bushes are worn out and make a nasty noise over the slightest bump and the car is just over 6 months old! Theres more but you get the idea, its crap! If you want a proper hot hatch look at the Seat Leon Cupra (i had one of these before and it was 10 times better!) or Golf GTI, I’m getting rid of the Focus for another Leon...

Submitted: 2008-06-17 | ID: 39870

K B, England

Ford Focus 2005

I have had my Ford Focus for 3 years, it is absolutely fantastic to drive and I have had no problems with it at all... I have just ordered my new Focus that I will be collecting in September. I recommend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 39868

David Hawley, Surrey

Ford Focus 2007

We recently purchased a 2007 3-door Ford Focus Zetec Climate. The first fault we found was a strong pull to the left the second fault was an annoying drivers window rattle not the best result for £7,494.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 39869

Louise Littlewood, Berkshire

Ford Focus 2008

I have recently part exchanged my old car for a new focus Zetec to accommodate my growing family! After looking at every possible family type cars on the market we fell in love with the focus. Inside is very spacious and we are able to fit three car seats on the back seat which is a must for us, the boot is also huge and was one of the only boots that would have fitted our pushchair! The car feels great to drive, very smooth, the only downside is it can feel slightly underpowered at times but thats not a major concern for me. I’d definitely recommend this car to anyone as it doesn’t look like your typical family car it drives great and looks great with the alloys and Sony CD player.

Submitted: 2008-06-04 | ID: 39867

Ivor Bennett, Essex

Ford Focus 2007

We took delivery of CC3 on 26 Sept 2007, the car of our dreams, after years of Focuses and Mondeos.The weather for the first couple of weeks was fabulous, and driving was a great time. Then the weather broke, and it hammered down, and in. The car went back to Dealer, and to give them their due, they tried everything to cure leaks, eventually the car went back again to dealer in Feb. 2008 and there it stayed until end of May when Ford agreed to buy car back. We were offered a replacement CC3, but Ford said that they would not offer to warranty the roof against leaks. In its favour the car drove extremely well, the level of trim was very good and we took car for two trips to France touring Normandy each time and it ran fantastic.

Submitted: 2008-06-03 | ID: 40021

Mathew Morris, Derbyshire

Ford Focus 2008

Having read ’Nigel’s’ summary I really wasn’t sure he had tested the right car....it seems to me the way his report was written was so we could all admire his literary talents rather than an assessment of a motor vehicle. Having tested the entire range I opted for the CC3 2 litre petrol manual version and have never been happier with a convertible. For the price the quality is superb and the car always gathers an admiring crowd when left parked whether the roof be down or up. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering buying and would also suggest Nigel gives up the pizzas and starts consuming humble pie instead.

Submitted: 2008-06-02 | ID: 40020

Nick, Leicestershire

Ford Focus 2007

Initially, I was absolutely thrilled with my ST. The performance was awesome, and the build quality seemed sound. Just over a year on, I am gravely disappointed with the vehicle. Creaking plastics are a regular occurance with just about every piece of trim sounding like it is ready to fall off. Ford Customer Services, including the service department are very poor, as I have had many problems mis-diagnosed, with the vehicle returning to the dealer on numerous occasions. And to put the icing on the cake, considering how thirsty the ST is, it isn’t much faster than any of its main rivals. I am very disappointed with this, my first and probably last Ford. I put the Focus ahead of the VW Golf when purchasing, but I now wish I’d spent a little extra cash and gone for the VW. Final verdict: If you are like me and are very picky about the quality of your cars, i.e. - cannot tolerate creaking interiors and endless problems, stay well clear of the ST.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 39866

Francis McDiarmid, Devon

Ford Focus 2004

My job means that I spend a lot of time driving and I needed a reliable and comfortable car. The fuel economy works out at over 50 miles to the gallon provided you drive sensibly and attempt to avoid rush-hour traffic. It is not the best looking car I have ever seen, in fact it looks a bit dated now but the interior is very stylish. Suspension handles motorways and country roads well. The doors shut with that satisfying clunk that I love. Performance is good, everything is good, just wished that it was a tad more pleasing on the eye...

Submitted: 2008-05-02 | ID: 39865

Sharon Knight, Middlesex

Ford Focus 2008

This is my 3rd Focus and I don’t see me changing at anytime in the future as long as Ford continue producing such a brilliant car. It’s reliable, affordable, fun to drive and still looks great. It does everything I need and never lets me down.

Submitted: 2008-04-23 | ID: 39864

Daniel Holmes, Sussex

Ford Focus 2005

Overall, this is an excellent car. I was a little surprised by the comment from Ian Jones as the Focus feels incredibly solid, particularly when compared to rivals like the Citroen C4. In my variant, the engine is quite noisy at motorway speeds but the car always feel nimble and up to pretty much whatever you throw at it. The seats stain with water marks very easily, but realistic family buyers usually accept that small children will always find a way to ’customise’ your cars interior. This might have been improved with the 2008 models. I totally recommend this car.

Submitted: 2008-04-07 | ID: 40042

Nigel, Cheshire

Ford Focus 2008

When this car arrived I was initially mistaken that the front was the back, the bonnet measures 2’6" whilst the boot, although unmeasured (I only had my wifes sewing kit tape, and it wasn’t long enough), looked to be approx 12". I decided to take my eldest son with me, I opened the door, worked the mechanism for the seat to come forward, so he could get in the back, I nearly lost my thumb as the seat shot forward with all the force of a blunder bus propelling forward at an alarming rate, almost like an ejector seat facing the wrong way. The sculptured seat was better suited to the catwalk, not in style, simply was built for a size zero. I decided we would go to Tesco, the roof release was easy to operate, all I can say is , its a good job its 24 hour opening, that said we were on our way. The Auto box seemed to be straight from an 81 on the W Volvo 343 GL. The gear change was as seamless as Doctor Frankensteins stitching, I was left wondering whether the seat forward mechanism was also part of the gear box as it had the same motion, Like a giant elastic band. We did our shop, returned to the car, I went to put the shopping in the boot, luckily for us Geoff Capes was loading his car next to us and helped raise the boot lid as it was like raising a double up and over garage door with a faulty mechanism, I couldn’t help wondering if they had used the seat mechanism on it I could have loaded the lid and fired the shopping home, yet incredibly for space because of the roof, you have to squash all your shopping into a 6" void. This would be an ideal pizza delivery vehicle as we thought we could probably get 22, 15" pepperoni in their. I can not determine fuel economy as I never went out in it again, as I was being treated for minor whiplash

Submitted: 2008-03-27 | ID: 40018

William Rogers, Caerphilly

Ford Focus 2007

Simply the best car I have ever had. Drives well and I get over 50 miles to the gallon to boot. It is well screwed together, what more do you want or need?

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 39878

Rex Whitehead, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2007

I have owned my new Ford Focus for 12 months now. I love driving this car, the 1.6 115 VCT Ghia, it is a real pleasure. My only complaint is that in some situations it is under powered, the handbrake is awkward as it was designed for left hand drive models but I still love it.

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 39877

Andy Tran, Aberdeenshire

Ford Focus 2005

Lovely car to drive. However, I only kept it for a year as it broke down 8 times! Problem was with EGR valve - Ford dealers were unable to fix it. Ford UK didn’t care. These diesels are developed with Peugeot, a BIG mistake if you ask me - they are guaranteed to give problems. Peugeot reliability is very poor.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39875

Mark Johnson, Wales

Ford Focus 2005

I have owned a Volkswagen Golf GT TDI 130 bhp and I have to say I was a little bit optimistic at the thought of having to trade it in for a Focus. I have to say that everything about the Focus, when compared to the Golf, is outstanding; value for money and drive quality are second to none and I still get that little grin when i put my foot down. So those of you who are thinking of getting a Focus go on get down to your dealer and buy one .

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39876

David Eccles, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2008

Just taken delivery of my new car [previous car 1.6 tivct focus 2007 model] what can i say its an awesome beast, interior tons better, diesel engine gave me 54.3 mpg on a run out yesterday tons better than petrol engine 38 on same run in previous car, both cars stood next to each other at my local dealers yesterday they look totally different a job well done thanks ford go on buy on they are an awesome car.

Submitted: 2008-03-03 | ID: 39880

Matthew Smart, Suffolk

Ford Focus 2001

I have had this car for 2 years, and it's a dream. Smooth driving and nifty steering, in a classy exterior....what more can i say?!

Submitted: 2008-03-03 | ID: 39879

Sarah Whittington, Kent

Ford Focus 2007

The Ford Focus is an ideal compact family car, ideal for school runs, shopping trips etc. The interior is nice & comfortable with lots of space. The car has a large boot for holding extra luggage. The car is made of high quality with safety features. The Ford Focus has been created to empower the driver. Each precision built component, each advanced technology, chosen to work in harmony and deliver a smooth, exciting driving experience - one that allows you to enjoy every twist and turn in the road and leave stress behind. The Ford Focus is packed full of technology that delivers at every turn from the Anti-lock braking system (ABS) to the optional Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), with Traction Assist for extra stability. Driving is always more enjoyable when you are protected. So the Ford Focus's tough body structure is complemented by an Intelligent Protection System (IPS). Ford Focus has a 5-star Euro NCAP rating and has also been awarded a 4-star child restraints rating and a 2-star pedestrian protection rating. You can feel the excitement of driving the Ford Focus just by looking at it. Refined design and functional elegance provide a look that's solid and well crafted.

Does Sarah work for Ford by any chance?? - Christopher Sparks from Kent

Submitted: 2008-02-22 | ID: 39883

Gary Stilgoe, Worcestershire

Ford Focus 2005

Like many of you out there the Focus is my work hack. In a fetching grey and with a diesel lump it does little to stir the imagination of any driver BUT I have to say, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Reliability is second to none, build quality is good and she has now withstood more than two years of daily toil and isn’t yet showing any signs of age. Able to cruise effortlessly at the national maximum and still provide a reasonable return per gallon the Focus is a comfortable ride for anyone doing serious mileage. A few forays into the twistier stuff have revealed she is taut and holds a line well. A racy little number ......No! A head-turner ....... No! An everyday work horse and no nonsense, get the family where they have to be with all of their, and their mates’, baggage, drive..... Definitely. If you can put up with the handbrake been ideally positioned for left hand drive but being in exactly the wrong place for right hand drive vehicles you can’t ask for more from an everyday vehicle. Save the Caterham for the weekends!

Submitted: 2008-02-18 | ID: 39882

Christine Hutchinson, England

Ford Focus 2003

I love my focus its ideal for me and my family very spacious the kids enjoy a drive out in it because its comfortable the only fault i have with this car is that there was a fault with the clocks and they all went off cost me a fortune to fix right when my mot was due so i couldn€™t drive it for a few weeks! till i got he cash i was guttered other than that I’ve had no other (touch wood) problems with my car.

Submitted: 2008-02-14 | ID: 39881

Craig Broadman, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus 2005

After months of research I finally decided in Sept 2007 to go for a Focus to upgrade from my Ibiza. Having a diesel was a must for me as it is so much more economical (especially with today’s prices). MPG is great, around 55MPG. It is comfortable, spacious and looks great too. Boot space is especially generous.

Submitted: 2008-01-30 | ID: 39872

Norman Noel, Surrey

Ford Focus 2007

I LOVE MY FOCUS BECAUSE IT A CAR THAT LIVES UPTO IT’S NAME FOR ME,A CAR THAT FOCUS ON EVERY DETAIL A CAR SHOULD HAVE.

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 39871

KELLY KIRKBRIDE, England

Ford Focus 2006

THIS IS A SUPER CAR GREAT MILES TO THE GALLON LOVELY TO DRIVE GREAT INSIDE DETAIL. COULD NOT GET A BETTER CAR THEN THIS SUPER....

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 40022

Dave Niel, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2006

Right then; the last Ford I drove was a 1982 Escort straight into the back of a two ton Ford Transit van full of angry policemen heading for a environmental rally down in Worcestershire, where some prat called Swampy was hiding high up in a forest full of engineers who wanted to build a new motorway straight through it. My passenger at the time was a brand new boss of a chicken factory where I had started work two weeks earlier. So I was encouraged by fate, never to own a Ford car again. Last week I was asked if I would go along with my in-laws to help them check out a used Focus, and guess what ... they asked me to drive it. The internal quality and finish was really good with plenty of room for the four of us, (that’s the two in-laws, me and the wife). Comfortable and well buttoned up; with easy to use controls is what was so noticeable, as well as the smooth and really quite keen diesel engine. The car felt a lot newer than the 18 months old it actually was. There was a couple of small issues i had, in that the drivers seat was a little lacking in movement and adjustability, which was awkward for a guy who is over 6 feet tall and the rear vision is not what it maybe could be, (that could have been affected by the rear view vision of the two in-laws though)! Overall, a very solid and reliable feel to this car, and easy to see why so many families are prepared to go out and buy what must be the best car in its class. Oh and i managed to get 6 points on my driving licence, for driving without due care and attention, speeding, and a £120 fine for verbal abuse! Thanks Swampy....

You are a poet mate. - I enjoyed reading your review it was very entertaini from Middlesex

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 39873

Matthew Hall, Norfolk

Ford Focus 2007

Fab car. This is a brilliant entry for Ford into the Coupe-carbriolet market. Good fuel econmoy and lovely to drive.

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 40023

Michael Bairstow, Somerset

Ford Focus 2007

There are some great points made in the other reviews. Although this not a BMW, Volkswagen or Audi it does have the same level of reliability and build quality. This is the best hatchback available and the price range means that it is affordable and excellent value for money. There is a lovely feeling of space in the cabin and a great safety record adds to a very comfortable ride. The economy is good, especially on the diesel. THE BEST HATCHBACK

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 39892

Rex Whitehead, England

Ford Focus 2007

I have had my new Ford Focus for 9 months now. It’s the 1.6 VCT 115 Ghia and it’s great to drive, nice to look at and I love the automatic lights. The windscreen wipers are self dipping and the Focus features cruise control. I just love driving it.

Submitted: 2007-11-01 | ID: 39893

Walther Golding, Durham

Ford Focus 2007

Jamie Hobb does indeed sum the Focus up nicely. Lovely to drive, comfortable inside and the best family car. I would like to add that the 2.0 litre diesel is the pick of the engines and gives me almost 50 miles per gallon.

Submitted: 2007-10-30 | ID: 39894

Adrian Hall, Shropshire

Ford Focus 2007

Although the Ford Focus doesn’t have a Germanic build. This car proves itself time and time again. I have had and driven many as I work within the car industry at Acorn Finance. All derivatives keep improving with their design and build quality. I myself am a great fan of the Diesel derivatives, they prove great value for money. Even the Studio model offers a great specification with the likes of: 5000 Radio/Cassette, Anti Lock with EBD, Central Locking, Dr St Height Adjust, Driver Airbag, Generic Upholstery, High L Brake Light, Immobiliser, PAS, Passenger Airbag, Power Front Windows, Rear Head Restraints, Solid Paint and Split Rear Seat. If you are unsure I would advise taking a test drive at your local dealer!

Submitted: 2007-10-02 | ID: 39890

Stephanie Purdey, Surrey

Ford Focus 2007

I can not think of a negative thing to say about my Focus - it does everything I need with plenty to spare. Thoroughly recommended - reliable and good-looking.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 39891

Martin Jordan, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2007

Although I have had more expensive and supposedly better cars, I must say that the Focus was a pleasure to drive, good on fuel, plenty of space, and suprisingly handled well.

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 39888

Chris Pembleton, Cheshire

Ford Focus 2007

I bought my nearly new Ford Focus from a car supermarket and saved ££££ on the list price. This car is a great run around, cheap to insure, economical and with the Focus being so popular will be easy to sell when I fancy a change.

Submitted: 2007-08-24 | ID: 39885

Ian Jones, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2007

Decent car, excellent on fuel consumption, car seats get uncomfortable however on long journeys if you are like me and have a dicky back. Also, the car felt very light, leaving you feeling a little exposed when passing larger vehicles.

Submitted: 2007-08-23 | ID: 40041

Sarah Bentley, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2007

I completely agree with Jamie's review. I will add that the car seats are the most comfortable that I have ever had. This is also a car that is pretty good on mileage. I normally get more than 45 miles per gallon.

Submitted: 2007-08-16 | ID: 39887

Jamie Hobb, Pembrokeshire

Ford Focus 2007

I bought my Ford Focus a couple of years ago and can not speak highly enough of it. It only cost just over £11,000 which was the limit of my budget and I do not think that I could have done any better for the money. It is lovely to drive, comfortable inside and easy to maintain. In my opinion, the best choice of family car out there.

Submitted: 2007-08-14 | ID: 39886

Craig Millington, Norfolk

Ford Focus 2007

I’ve just got this (company) car and have been driving for only 2 weeks so it’s still early days but I have to say I’m having real fun driving it. I must admit I thought this would be a boring car but so far it’s proved itself to be a nice smooth drive. Nice interior too. Quietly impressed.

Submitted: 2007-08-09 | ID: 39889

• A response has been made to Sharren Hussey (30/01/2017 21:07:41)
  • A response has been made to roy hughes (30/09/2014 00:38:51)

• "I have a ford 1.6 focus petrol engine yr 2007 which has developed a starting problem either cold /warm however once started the car runs well?..." (b riley, 24/04/2017 17:57:21)
  • "I have recently had my car serviced and they showed me the two bolts that attach the fiexi pipe are corroded and he said it admits a slight noise bu..." (Andy, 20/03/2017 10:11:38)
  • "Hi my wife has a 51plate 2.0 focus ghia a couple of days ago the engine management light came on since this has happened the computer will only show ..." (Mark, 05/02/2017 10:58:16)
  • "My ford focus st170 manual 2l duratec. Has been giving me problems with the walsh plug eas leaking water and the thermostat was not giving me hot wa..." (Siseko, 02/02/2017 22:09:56)
  • "I have water that drips into the rear offside of car and onto the tonnea cover of my estate. The drip comes through slots in the 'D' panel trim. This..." (Graham Percival, 31/01/2017 14:48:29)

• b riley's question has been answered: "Have you been through all the usual electrical checks? Battery capacity, starter impedance, solenoid function etc? Check Focus owners forum as to whet - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (24/04/2017 18:20:29)
  • Siseko's question has been answered: "I was also thing of buying a new walsh plug and the thermostat to see if the car will start . It ok to do that? - Siseko from South Africa' '..." (02/02/2017 22:14:59)

Ford Focus Titanium EcoBoost 125

The Ford Focus is the best-selling nameplate in the world, out-selling its arch rival, the Volkswagen Golf with monotonous regularity, so a new model is always big news and, with public opinion swinging back against diesel, the diminutive EcoBoost petrol engine is more relevant than ever. [...]

Ford Focus Titanium EcoBoost 125

Ford Focus T 125PS EcoBoost road test report

International Engine of the Year winner, the mighty little 1.0 EcoBoost engine joins the Focus range. Will this diminutive 3 cyclinder engine leave the Focus feeling deflated? Not on your nelly, as proved by Ford’s use of it on larger models including the Transit Connect and Mondeo. If anything, the [...]

Ford Focus T 125PS EcoBoost road test report

Ford Focus 2011 5-door road test report

The all-new, third-generation Focus arrives in March, and it’s the company’s first truly global car. That the Focus has been a UK best-seller since 1998 was further incentive for Ford to get it right, but March 2011 also marks Ford of Britain’s centenary, so there’s more than a little corporate prid [...]

Ford Focus 2011 5-door road test report

Ford Focus RS 500 road test report

As swan songs go, the Ford Focus RS500 is a full-on heavy metal stadium concert with the volume turned up to 12. There’s nothing shy or retiring about this run-out model of Ford’s crazy gang hot hatch, even if it tries to kid on with its stealthy matt black paint job. The five-cylinder engine has be [...]

Ford Focus RS 500 road test report

Ford Focus RS road test report

Ford has marked the fortieth anniversary of the RS badge by launching the Focus RS. It looks every inch of what it should be, an RS should be powerful yet sleek and this car ticks all those boxes. Available in three colours, the RS can be ordered in blue, white or green. The green reflects the signa [...]

Ford Focus RS  road test report

Ford Focus ECOnetic 1.6 TDCi diesel road test report

This has got to be one of the most eagerly awaited green cars of all time for both the business and the private sector – it’s the £16,050 Ford Focus ECOnetic. With fuel at an all time high and road tax based on CO2 emissions green cars have never been in such high demand. So we got to work and put o [...]

Ford Focus ECOnetic 1.6 TDCi diesel road test report

Ford Focus ST500 road test report

A special edition Ford Focus – enough to make your eyes water, the ST500 is a gem. The car drives brilliantly and represents good value for money at £20,495 as there are only 500 of them on sale. This makes this car a very desirable machine. Performance Fast Fords have always been legendary like t [...]

Ford Focus ST500 road test report