2009 Meriva reviews

19 December 2014

2009 Vauxhall Meriva reviews

Vauxhall Meriva reviews by year of make:1994 1995 1996 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Read all reviews

Stan Webb, Durham

Vauxhall Meriva 2006 - 2010

No problem at all average 55/60 mpg

Submitted: 2014-05-15 | ID: 95554

Brian Whitelegg, Kent

Vauxhall Meriva 2009

I’m disabled with severe knee arthritis and needed a car that was easy to get in and out of. I also own a large mobility scooter (Pride Deluxe), which breaks down to 3 large parts; chassis, rear axle/motor seat and 2 smaller parts. I can get the chassis, and rear axle/motor into the boot without having to put the rear seats down with the large captains seat belted onto the offside rear seat and batteries in the offside rear seat footwell. No mean feat as the scooter is a full size model, not a lightweight pavement model. The scooter is normally stored indoors for battery charging so the boot is normally empty. With the rear seats down and stowed in the flat rear position the rear is simply cavernous. The full width hatch door combined with the flat floor makes loading large objects a piece of cake. I would recommend carrying an old piece of carpet to protect the rear bumper paintwork. We recently loaded a new gas cooker in its packaging together with a months food shopping with no trouble. Driving: I was surprised how smooth and quiet the 1.4 engine is. Not the quickest car in the 0 - 60 stakes but hey, who cares with such a "use-able" car. Economy ranges from 38mpg on mixed town/ twisty country roads to 42mpg on a 70mph (and a little bit more !) motorway cruise. Absolute best has been 46mpg on a 55-60mph lane 1 motorway bimble. Try not to become a member of the "Middle Lane Owners Club" please! Vision is generally excellent, but the double "A" post causes a blind spot on the offside front three quarter which must be taken into account. It’s easy to lose a motorcyclist or pedestrian there. Problems? Only problem has been the front window activating the anti trap feature where the window automatically drops down as the glass gets tight in the upper third of the vertical runner. I’m told that this is a common fault that can be cured with the application of a smear of silicone grease in the runner. Note that I say "smear", not a damn great handful! Overall, it’s a nice car that I enjoy driving. My previous car was a Renault Laguna that had a meeting with the back end of a truck and subsequently turned into a convertible when the fire service took the roof off to rescue my wife. Going from a large family saloon to a smaller MPV was an easy step though and I have to say that I love this addition to my motoring ownership. The only reason for the 4 stars rather than 5 is the blind spot.

Submitted: 2013-11-24 | ID: 49635

Graham Moore-Roberts, England

Vauxhall Meriva Tectronic 2009

My Meriva is 09 and has only 6000 miles on the clock, but has an intermittent fault where it will not go into gear, the A flashes and will not go in to auto or manual. Vauxhall claim there’s no fault noted with this model. The garage claim no fault codes registered in the car yet it has happened 3 times on a day I collected the car from garage after they’d had car for 3 days, but on internet forums its well known.

Submitted: 2013-06-04 | ID: 49591

Robert Talbot, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Meriva Energy 2009

A very versatile vehicle which converts easily from car to van by folding the rear seats down, ideal for a family where DIY is of interest and bulky items need to be transported. Also, great for when we tour Scotland and need to take food supplies to remote locations. A comfortable ride and, with the 1.6 petrol engine it is reasonable lively for this type of vehicle. Downsides are the thick A post which you have to look round when making sharp turns. I also understand that the steering column switch which controls the power steering can fail at approx 40,000 miles (but I have paid for an extra 2 years Vauxhall warrantee - just in case). I would definitely buy this model again.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 49566

Maureen Smiley, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Meriva Design 1.6 2009

I bought my Meriva 1.6 Design from Park’s of Dreghorn. I lost power steering on 2 occasions almost immediately in the first month after purchase, which almost killed me. The second time thankfully my children were not in the car at the time!. I was offered a like for like swap but the offers were nowhere near a like for like. I complained to the finance company who sent out a DEKRA engineer who said there was no problem. I am now experiencing problems again 8 months on, over/under steering going round corners/roundabouts and tugging at the wheel whilst sitting idle. I have always sang Vauxhall’s praise due to owning a few cavaliers in the past but i would NEVER EVER recommend them to anyone now. I have never felt so unsafe in a car in my 20 years driving. Very disappointing!

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 49526

Andrew Joyce, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 design 2009

Overall very good but has a few annoying niggles: 1) The control switch for the front sunroof has no neutral position between the slide and tilt mode. This means that closing the sunroof can be annoying. Enough so to discourage us from using the sunroof. 2) This is a £15,000 car, it seems rather cheap of Vauxhall that a spare wheel, jack, tool kit and the first aid kit are optional extras, especially when the boot has a moulded space for each of these items. 3)The 1.6 engine does not seem to pull well uphill. I frequently have to change down as low as 2nd gear on moderate hills.

Hi Andrew, I have a 1.4 Design 2008. I find that if you press and hold the button when moving to closed it stops at closed. If you keep moving it in small amounts it does tend to over-run the closed position and start sliding. Same goes when you go from slide to closed, just keep your finger on the button until it stops moving - Phil Davies from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2010-01-23 | ID: 49549

Colin Evans, England

Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 2009

I have recently bought a new Meriva 1.4 in October 2009. I have had the car back at 3 different dealers with a list of problems and they are not interested: 1. steering wheel not straight and moves to the left if you let go of the wheel. 2. dashboard making a rattle and squeaking noise constantly whiles driving. 3.drivers window won’t go back up, need to pull it up. 4.banging noise from front suspension when going over speed bumps. 5.left indicator won’t cancel after use. As you can tell from my list it is not good reading for the Vauxhall Meriva and Vauxhall, I’m not a happy customer. It’s the first time owning a Vauxhall and I won’t be buying another again. I hope everyone else has better luck than me. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 49539

The latest Vauxhall Meriva) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)