2009 Fiesta reviews

31 August 2014

2009 Ford Fiesta reviews

Ford Fiesta reviews by year of make:1989 1998 2000 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Read all reviews

James, Aberdeenshire

Ford Fiesta 2008 - 2012

Should the coil be changed when the car is serviced???

Submitted: 2014-06-19 | ID: 98074

Gogopogo, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Petrol 2009

Not for motorway driving! I changed from a Focus to a Fiesta as I wanted a more economical car, but the Fiesta is not so good for motorway driving. No 6th gear. I can change into 5th gear at 40 MPH, so it should have a 6th gear for higher speeds to keep the revs and engine noise level down. I’ve experienced significant road-tyre noise at higher speeds. Long distance driving gives me headaches. I need to drive very carefully i.e. keeping revs under 2500 RPM or speed below 55 MPH to achieve Ford’s MPG figures. Reverse gear has no lift switch, so it often grinds, fails to engage, and makes me look like a learner. I will go back to a Focus as soon as I can afford to.

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 39610

Damon, Suffolk

Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2009

I’ve had my 1.4 tdci for 2 and a half years and it always seems to be leaking from somewhere at any given time, no matter how carefully I drive and look after it. It just dribbles annoying little amounts of oil, which can’t be traced after 3 garage attempts. The paint finish is poor and thin with no clear coat layer meaning everything sticks and stains. Apart from that, there’s just the usual wear and tear replacement of components. Having said that, the ride, handling and fuel consumption is excellent and parts are cheap. I manage to get about 72mpg routinely on every tankful (except very cold weather), which gives me a range of well over 500 miles, though I don’t run it to near to empty to protect the fuel pump.

Submitted: 2012-07-26 | ID: 39606

D Close, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S 2009

What a great car, drives so well smooth and fast. Only problem I have had is a squeaky clutch pedal soon sorted by my Ford dealer. The car drives so well it feels like a £20k+ car and holds the road so well.

Submitted: 2011-10-10 | ID: 39613

Peter Lane, Cardiff

Ford Fiesta Diesel Econetic TDCi 1.6 2009

I bought this vehicle on the 29/01/2010. It was an ex Ford Managers vehicle with 7,500 miles on the clock. I have been very pleased with it in all respects: its performance, fuel consumption and reliability. There have been not bodywork rattles or squeaks, or electronic problems at all. I don’t niggle over fuel consumption: it is around 60mpg. The right hand external mirror trim fell off in a car park; I put it back on myself and it hasn’t come off since. Most people do not feel moved to write a review until something annoying and expensive occurs. I have not had any faults to return the vehicle for and have done 13,500 miles since acquiring it. It has had one 12 monthly servicing. My last 1.4 TDCi 2004 did 120,000 miles driving from Cardiff to Bristol daily and never produced one single fault. Most of this is just luck, like the bad luck the other reviewers have had. Now to be really critical, I will list everything that did annoy me a bit in order of precedence 1. The useless tyre repair kit in lieu of a spare wheel , jack and wheel brace. I purchase the lot and threw the kit into my loft. That doesn’t involve loss of space. 2. The annoying feature, that when the heater fan is switched on, with the heat turned off and any screen setting is selected, the air con comes on and freezes you to death. 3.The annoying oil can symbol that warns that servicing is due, this will come on after you have had it serviced annually and not by mileage. This takes a long search on the Internet to find the multiple combination of pedals and switches to operate simultaneously to switch it off. 4. The low skirt under the radiator grill that clips Sleeping Policemen: that is unless you hit the centre of these obstructions with one front wheels in the centre of the mound. If this is all I have to worry about for 120,000 miles and no other problems arise I will consider myself very lucky. A very good car indeed.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 39542

Nick Southam, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

There are a few things that I see on these reviews that one would think that Ford would address. It might be that those who are in the area of customer relations and their tech department should stop and think about how lucky they are to have a job. The fact being that all of us pay their wages; this also goes for dealerships as well. From reading many of these rants, which I think are very fair indeed, why in hells name when you have told them of the problem and where it is and you show them, they have the cheek to say they can’t find the fault or it’s normal for the model. What tosh and don’t treat us like fools! I Have just started to have fuel probs; using a lot and so took it in , “Ah, yes Nick we have upgraded the software”  Oh yeah? So when I looked at the trip it told me on half a tank I could go 94 miles then walk! So I filled it up to see if it would reset ...um nope, it now tells me I can go 234.7 mile before I walk. They tell you that it should settle down. It’s going back as I think you may all agree when you first buy the car it has not worked out anything on the trip ...yet when you fill up you get around 480 to 490 per tank, well that’s what I got anyway, cods that it what I have to say and it is going in again. I did see that CD player had over heated as well mine did sometime ago must see if it does it again as I have noticed a small crack, hard to see but its there all the same just above the player... Well all I can say is Dagenham motors have always been fair with me, it might be that I am blunt and having worked on cars and plant I don’t take silly comments well. I’m going to ask if they can do a full check on the pc as I am sure this is where the fault lies, or in the way the software has been added. Give me back my Morris Minor.

Submitted: 2010-12-06 | ID: 39566

Edward Miller, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta Diesel 2009

Bought the car new last November and was very impressed with the roadholding particularly when it snowed and I was able to push on when others were left wheel-spinning. Good points: I’ve kept a detailed spreadsheet of MPG over the last year - worst was 50.5mpg, best was 60.0 so I’m getting about 500 miles per tank. My daily commute is 80 miles with about 20% being through congested towns. Bad points: Seems to take forever to produce heat in the cabin, usually about 8 miles/ 20 mins. Maybe I’m spoiled, my last car, a BMW 320i was warm by the time I left my driveway. No frost detector, it would be nice to know the outside temperature and be able to react accordingly. I always carry a black towel to put on top of the dashboard because the reflections onto the ’screen in sunlight can make driving difficult. Engine can be noisy under acceleration. All that aside, I’m glad I bought it

It takes long to heat up because its a diesel, diesels take longer to warm up, I’m sure your BMW was a petrol - S Dani from London

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 39564

Wendy Clayton, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

I purchased my car in October 2009, it has keyless entry/power start, leather seats so list price was just under 18k, I traded in a 53 reg (2004) Fusion 1.4 tdci and handed over 10k so all in all a good deal. I had an annoying rattle in the front of the car, seemed to be coming from the headlining and my various passengers kept trying to trace it. Eventually one passenger gave it a mighty thump and the rattle stopped and hasn’t returned. I haven’t had any other problems until today. I got a puncture and have a had to buy a replacement tyre - obviously not Fords fault. I have picked the car up at 4pm and drove back to work (100 yards). When I came out of work at 5pm the folding door mirrors didn’t unfold, at traffic lights I checked the menu for the vehicle and the setting had changed to not respond to locking. I changed it back but still not working. I also have a headlamp out, which I noticed when I pulled up against a wall when I got home. In 30 years of driving and my last 6 cars being Fords I have never had to have a new bulb. What should the life expectancy be? Hopefully the puncture, the mirrors and the bulb are my 3 things and it will be ok now. Diesel consumption is about 50mpg and I have done 14k miles.

Where did your friend thump the car? I want to try it on mine! - Matthew Smith from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2010-11-18 | ID: 39568

Richard Greaves, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 5Dr 2009

Hired a Ford Fiesta for the weekend from Avis. Firstly the bad points: Visibility. In comparison to an old P-reg Fiesta I drove many moons ago the rearview is pretty poor, making you far more reliant on side mirrors. Visibility up front is also limited by the roof encroaching - this may have more to do with mty height than anything else but it did seem to be noticable in comparison to other cars I’ve driven. Good points: Where to start! We only booked a basic car for the weekend so wasn’t expecting much, when picking the car up I managed to ensure we got a diesel-powered car as I was planning on doing a couple of pretty long journies. The car is sharp and responsive on the road, and when though there isn’t much power under your right foot the car feels and acts like a little nippy motor. Driving down country roads was a really pleasure as you can throw the car into a bend with great confidence. It made for an engaging and pleasurable journey. The other big plus was fuel economy, obviously at the end of your hire it’s much better to fill the car up yourself rather than pay a premium on Avis doing your job for you, so it came to a real surprise to have a much lower fuel bill than I was expecting, even taking into account switching to a diesel car rather than petrol. Its a good looking car too - the Ford metallic blue which is a pretty common sight now is a real eye-catcher. For me the engine and quality driving dynamics far outweight the downsides and its easy to see why the Ford Fiesta is the most popular car in the UK.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-20 | ID: 39593

Mark Witt, Wales

Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec 2009

I’ve had my Fiesta from new, March 2009. When the air con is running the car hesitates under acceleration. Going up hills I have to change down to second gear. The car feels as if it is missing. Ford are aware of the problem and said to give the engine at least 10-15000 miles to get run in. By then the warranty will have expired! Has anyone else had the same problem? I would be very interested to find out.

I am having the same problem. I bought my car in Jan 2008 and it was fine until christmas this year it started struggling. It had a service done on it at christmas and since then when you use air con it struggles and feels like it is missing. I am also experiencing trouble with the fan in the back on the dash board as it’s very loud even have to turn the stereo up to get rid of the noise. Just got my car back and have found that since it went in this morning they have driven it back to me and there is no a starnge noise coming from the engine so am pulling my hair out at the moment. Apart from that the car has been great and I love it - from England

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 39590

Nick Smith, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

Why can’t you post lower than 1 star? What a pile of c**p, if you’re after good fuel economy don’t bother. I told the dealer I do 50k a year and was looking at the Ecomotive but was pushed to the Zetec as only 7mpg difference. What a mistake! I get on average about 52mpg - nowhere near the 67.4 stated in the brochures or the website, so you looking at 25% less than stated. And the engine has been run-in. I bought the car onn 5/11/2009 and on 23/7/2010 I have covered 34k. I have pushed this with Ford customer service and you get a standard letter. If you do this quote what others get from this forum in your second letter. Ford hope that noone responds to their letter and hope you go away. Just push them. I am looking to set-up a Facebook page up soon to advertise how c**p they are so everyone notices and sales will hopefully drop. I will post the link on here at a later date. Other issues are rattling speakers, had to be sorted and has anyone else got warm air con? I have to have mine on full power of the fans to get it cold, once cold it does not stay cool. My former Auris and Avensis were like feezers they were that cold. Tyres don’t last, the Michelin lasted for 19k on the front, previous Bridgestone lasted me 28K. More rattles come fro, the dashborad area than the local creche.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 39589

Jane Williams, Somerset

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2009

I took delivery of my fiesta a week ago - 4,000 miles on the clock - and am very pleased with the way it drives. However I find that the noise generated by the Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres is making my ears hurt. Apart from the road rumble which I would find acceptable there is also a constant hum, rather like the horns at the current world cup. Today I took it back to the dealer and they have changed the rears to the front but I already kow that there is no improvement. I am hoping that they will agree to exchange these tyres for a set of Hankooks from one of their demonstrators but feel that they don’t really believe my problem. My ears are still hurting from my 12 mile journey home from work - 2 hours ago. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a solution?

I know this is an old review but I have the same problem. Have you or anyone else cured this sound? - from Lancashire

Same noise coming from tyres must be a common fault, thought it was wheel bearing at first - from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 39437

Donald Stephens, England

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

I bought a Corsa 1.4 Design and had problems with it from day one. Took it back to Vauxhall who took 18 months to fix the fault with it. So I bought a new Ford Fiesta the 1.4 TDCi Zetec. Yes, I lost a couple of things like auto lights, wipers etc... but I prefer the Fiesta so much more to the Corsa. I also prefer Ford’s customer service to Vauxhall’s. It’s an all-round winner.

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 39440

Chris Black, Northamptonshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium petrol 2009

Have had this car for 6 months and it has been in 5 times to the dealer with gear crunching and refusing to properly select reverse (since new). The car has had a new clutch at 900 miles and another second clutch at 3000 miles. Dealer has replaced selector forks on gearbox but it still crunches and grates intermittently (about every 6th time) when selecting reverse. Dealer has informed me that this is the design of the gearbox (no syncho) and all Fiestas ("and BMW Minis!!") have this issue. Think I have a worse gearbox than most because I can’t see all Fiesta owners just "putting up" with this reverse issue?? Fuel consumption is also disappointing; 35mpg compared to quoted consumption. Such a pity that a cheap gearbox has ruined an otherwise excellent car - sort it out Ford!!!!

I bought a Fiesta semi automatic 4 months ago (2005 model). When I put on reverse gear, the gearbox problem signal comes on the dash. Quickly it started to get stuck on either 1st or on 2nd gear. I took it to Fareham Ford garage, they said I needed to change gearshift lever and clutch accutator assembly costing nearly 2000 pounds. Unfortunately the car is not starting at all after their dignostic test. Has anyone experienced similar problems? I understand that it is a common problem for semi automatic fiestas. Can anyone help me with this? - Byju Mani from Hampshire

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 39443

David, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium Manual 2009

Superb car! Looks excellent and far more swish than any previous Fiesta. Very efficient on fuel. I often get 63 mpg and last trip from London I kept to 60ish and got 72.5mpg! The mirrors look too small but set just right and you can see everything in your blind spots including stuff in the 3rd lane on the Motorway. The ride is comfortable but very sporty. It helps that the car is relatively light. It’s a nice place to sit with the dash looking more interesting than a lot of others. My left leg appreciates the light clutch and my right the cruise control. Only one gripe. The literature had me believing there would be a USB port for mp3s. It comes as part of a £200 extra! There’s already a 3.5mm jack there and a USB port would have cost ford about £1 to put next to that. Probably the decision of the person who decided to charge more for green after they realised it was popular. Tight! I read Ford drove the equivalent of around the planet perfecting the steering. You can tell.

Submitted: 2010-04-25 | ID: 39446

David Patchett, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 2009

New in Sep 2009. Some noise in dash, found to be dash and side trim rubbing together once interior got hot, solved by inserting a strip of thin rubber inbetween. Also paint peeling off inside of front bumper, told by paint shop manager "Your not the first and won’t be the last", when I booked it in. Otherwise a cracking little car, certainly the best Fiesta I have owned.

Hello, can you tell me exactly where this is in car as I think I have the same problem and it’s doing my head in. Thanks. - Matthew smith from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 39454

John Dennison, Durham

Ford Fiesta 1.4 AUTOMATIC TITANIUM 2009

Super car except for the standard complaint, fuel consumption dreadful. I am 75 years of age so obviously I am not a speed merchant, 36 miles per gallon. I part exchanged my 1.6 Honda Civic for the Fiesta and was getting about 10 miles more per gallon out of the civic. I realise that automatics use more fuel but come on Ford, 36 mpg out of a 1.4, could this be improved?

Update: Unbelievable,I contacted Ford UK and complained about the appalling fuel consumption on my 1.4 Fiesta automatic. I had a telephone call from a gentleman at Ford insisting that he was totally unaware that Fiesta owners were unhappy about this situation, I told him that he should read the complaints you get to the contrary.....as I said UNBELIEVABLE - John Dennison from Durham

Thank goodness someone else has reported this to Ford. Saying that, my 2011 Zetec with 2,041 miles on the clock does 33-35 mpg. I am a careful driver, traded my lovely Mazda 3 auto for this heap. What a mistake, the look of the thing lured me. The car has just returned from the garage where I demanded they check it for mpg. I was told it was ’perfect’ guy admitted that they had had other customers complaing re. mpg and Ford know! Trouble is, Ford don’t reply to letters or emails but I make sure I tell everyone about it. Huge, huge con. Never ever ever buy a Ford. I am sorry you too are suffering - Hana James from Devon

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 39449

Adrian McNulty, County Fermanagh

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi 89 Zetec Plus 2009

Buying this car is the biggest mistake I made, I got it in October of 2009 and I’m having trouble already, the door handle came off on me when I pulled it and the power steering pump failed after 6 weeks, also the handle for sliding the seat back and foward does not work for some reason. I’m not impressed with it because it isn’t overally comforable and not that nice to drive. I had a Peugeot 207 SPORT HDI 110 before this and I wish I had never sold it. There was more equipment in the 207 and it was cheaper than the Fiesta when new, also it was far more comfortable to drive and it was better looking with the bold front end styling. Lastly the dashboard is poorly built with cheap plastics, it has developed an annoying rattle and the silver effect around the dash is flaking off in small pieces. My old 207 had a higher quality dash and everything in it was easier to reach and was it was much easier to make out and to see the buttons. I am going to change my Fiesta already for the new 207 because its really bugging me.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39459

Peter, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Zetec 2009

My last 3 cars were Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci’s and I was very pleased with all of them. Took delivery of this car March 2009. The car is very nice to drive but problem after problem. Oil leak on engine returned to garage 3 times. Blue smoke when starting first thing in the morning (none of my previous Fiesta, did that) If you lock the doors with the remote then try to open the door with the key (as if the battery had failed in the remote) then you nearly break the key you have to put that much pressure on it and ford say "We know they are stiff but acceptable" what rubbish. A known problem is the squeeky clutch pedal, remedy? Grease it; I suppose that will work until the warranty expires. Since they greased the pedal the clutch has now started to judder. I will be returing it for them to register that before the warranty expires. Same as everyone else fuel consumption nothing like what is advertised. When you turn the heater control to "windscreen" the air condition comes on, that is just great when the temperature outside is minus 2. The heater stays just warm not hot until you have done about 7 miles. I know this is a problem because they gave me a courtesy car once and it heated up in about a mile and a half. I have had this about 11 months now and although I like the car I am fed up with taking it back to the garage. All this and although I have had it 11 months it has only covered 4500 miles. I am looking at what to replace it with but not sure at the moment. Very disappointed.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-26 | ID: 39461

Diane, London

Ford Fiesta 2009

I purchased a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta on 16th January. 5 days later the power steering failed. Many phone calls to Ford Customer Services and the Dealership and have now been told the part to repair it will not be available until 22nd February. This leads me to question why there are no parts available? Is it because they have had so many similar faults they have utilised all the stock or are they having problems with the part and having to resolve this before producing a new batch? I have now told Ford that I am not accepting the vehicle back as it is not fit for purpose and insisting they supply me with a new vehicle. If you bought any other item that broke down after 5 days and they could not repair it for another month there would be no question that they would have to replace the item but Ford continue to think it is acceptable to provide me with a courtesy car and for me to wait until the car is repaired!

The new reg will be nearly out when your car is repaired, Ford should accept your rejection request, keep on at them. Maybe contact a solicitor, I had to years ago with my wife’s new Peugoet 106 and won - from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 39465

Geoff Witts, Kent

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCI 2009

I use this car for my driving school, my pupils find it very easy to drive. Just recently the seat belt warning light keeps chiming during lessons checked everything but cannot solve problem, any ideas out there? The funny thing is it dosen’t do it when I am driving? I agree with the poor fuel consumption, I’m getting around 47/48 mpg compared with 53/54 on old model, a much better car in my mind. I also dislike the silver dash board, too chavy by far.

My car did the same thing, and rather than going straight to the dealer with it I looked myself first. If you look carefully at the seat belt point between the seats, you will see a small wire coming out of it. It’s a tight squeeze, but if you get your hand in there and push the wire up a bit it may help your problem. If not there is a small box underneath the front of the seat, and the seats sensor wire goes into it . Just push on the wires, if it’s a loose connection this may help. Otherwise it’s the dealer I’m afraid, hope they’re better than mine! - David Fenn from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 39463

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 3 Door 1.4 16v Duratec Auto. 96PS 2009

Question. What does this 3 Door Hatch have that others don’t? Answer. The ’blue oval’ on the bonnet that signifies Ford. And Ford, "As any fule no" (To quote the legendary Molesworth) is THE dependably progressive mass motor manufacturer of all time. As reassuring as belt and braces both and as enterprising as a dozen ’Dragons’ smoking away with hot ideas in their den to hatch forth trendsetting hatchbacks of prodigal style and variety. If you haven’t guessed by now..I’m IN! For generations now, Ford has been a byword in the trade for practical driveability, sensible economics and superlative motoring at all levels of performance from the prosaic potterings of the happy shopper to the roaring abandon of hot racing at its best. This is a company, which is both David and Goliath. For example, the legendary GT40 might only have been knee high to a grasshopper - but to its opposition it was as formidable as Everest. Time now to festoon the plaza, strike up the band, load the tables with goodies and ring all the bells to welcome the new Fiesta into the fold. Just in case you fear that your correspondent has been gorging with happy pills, let’s look at some no-nonsense, straight from the hip, plain talking facts. This is a car that’s not going to break the bank because of the purchase price (although for a car in this class £15,877 OTR is no bargain even though it is the top spec Titanium model) - but it might break a few hearts as your neighbours look on with envy and wish that they’d had the foresight to depend on the ever dependable. Here is a car that has got more extras than Ben Hur and - as the 3 Door 1.4 litre 16v Duratec 4 speed automatic - has enough horses (96) to put similar specified chariots to shame. Behind the wheel of this little wonder you will be forgiven for thinking that, with a twitch of an eyebrow, you could part the Red Sea - or at very least, find a parking space in Piccadilly. This car is ’full bore fun’ for everyone from the dashing young blade to the working mum. Nimble, smooth, quiet and refined; on the go in this Ford you’re not going to want the experience to stop. Seats are comfortable and supportive, even for the corpulent - and as a driver, the position at the wheel can be tailored to be nigh on perfect. Rear seat passengers are not cramped either, as testified to by ’Tiny’ - my rugby playing anthropoidal pal from the hills. Inside you’re greeted with attractive features made of functional and elegant materials and a composition of fine touches to put this model high up in the comfort line. The chic and stylish interior can only be described as ’tasteful’. Naturally you can tailor it to suit your fancy with the likes of a leather trimmed handbrake and premium velour mats. The range of colour and trim combination is so extensive that you might wonder if Ford has acquired the rights to all the rainbows in both hemispheres - and then borrowed a few more from Saturn. You personalise the colours so that it becomes your very own right from the word ’go’. In our eco-conscious age, you can feel reassured that while economy itself (I only achieved an overall figure of 31.8 mpg) isn’t going to save you a packet, the low CO2 emissions (154) might help to save the planet. Not only that, but the new ’keyless’ refuelling system is going to save you valuable time by sparing you the hassle of fiddling with a recalcitrant filler cap - a procedure that has become quite a hobby these days. Just look around at any filling station and see what I mean. If any curious acquaintance demands to know ’What are they like?’ in reference to this car, then you have to tell them that words aren’t really enough - you have to be behind the wheel. It’s quite simply a delight to drive whether pottering along or exploring the outer edges of the performance envelope which isn’t wildly exciting (about 105mph top speed) - but certainly enough for most needs these days. The handling and ride, however, are remarkably good, and should you wish to drive like a demon through bends you’ll remain safe and secure with no nasty moments because it’s a driver’s delight; fluid and rewarding A responsive and willing engine, linked to only a four speed automatic, means that ’sedate’ is the order of the day. This version is the one in which to sit back and relax and enjoy the qualities of refinement that are there in abundance. Everybody has their own ideas of what the ideal small car should offer these days, and the new Fiesta, with its indomitable charm, seems to be the solution that embraces them all.

Couldn’t Ford afford an advert down the side like everyone else? - David Fenn from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-01-25 | ID: 39473

John McFarland, Durham

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 5dr 2009

Have owned the car for 6 weeks now and overall it is a decent motor. My main gripe is the same as just about everyone else`s on this site - the pitiful fuel consumption. I am lucky if i get 40 mpg at any time and these figures fall well short of the figures claimed by Ford, so with that in mind I contacted Ford directly and was told that these figures are made up from tests done in a lab of all places and that the actual consumption may differ to the published figures YOU DON`T SAY... The only other thing I can see is that the range you have in your tank, once the reserve light comes on is very inaccurate - do not trust it. I did and narrowly avoided breaking down due to lack of fuel. So to sum up: the car is an improvement on the older versions but there seems to be a pattern developing with the faults that occuring. My advice is, yes, buy a Fiesta but question your dealer well about what will be covered in the warranty.

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 39467

Colin Harris, Leicestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2009

I bought a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec to replace the Toyota Yaris 1.3 T3 I had owned for 5 years & 28,000 miles. I have always monitored my fuel consumption and achieved about 49.5 MPG overall. In my new Fiesta (same driving style, same petrol, same journeys) I have achieved only 39.8 MPG over its first 2,000 miles. The car is fine although a bit sluggish, but the MPG is a great let down. The official MPG figures for my 2004 Yaris and this 2009 Fiesta are very similar yet I am getting about 20% less than I used to. I suspect that Ford have been less than honest on these figures and have emailed customer services with my suspicions. That was over a month ago and I still await a reply! Where the 60.1 MPG extra urban figure comes from I can’t contemplate - perhaps down a steep hill with a following wind? Ford should not be allowed to get away with these fairy stories.

I have got to agree with you about Fords over zeolous fuel consumption mate, it’s c**p. Bet they haven’t got back to you yet? Appears the test was done in lab conditions..duh. My next car funnily enough is a Fiesta or a y<br />Yaris, leaning more to the latter at mo, sent off for brochures. Good luck with your motor and keep on at ’em - Clive Whitham crwhitham@hotmail.co.uk from Derbyshire

I have a 2010 Fiesta 1.25 5dr Zetec which has now covered only 500 miles, as regards the comments regarding fuel consumption and the response that it will "Improve with time", then if it does I shall be delighted as I am averaging 48 mpg only driving locally for the two weeks since purchase. Possibly driving style has something to do with it! - Jim Cole from Bridgend

Thanks for your comments on fuel consumption, I have been worried about my car being faulty as I have never got anywhere near the 60 mile per gallon claim. I too was told that it’s based on lab tests and not reallity (so its b******s). However, I have noticed that if you only drive at about 55-60 mile an hour you can get about 50 mpg rather than about 40 at 70 miles per hour. Saves about 10 litres for every extra hour spent travelling, but you feel conned. Anyway thanks for putting my mind to rest! - Pete B from Berkshire

You will get a standard letter blaming you on how you drive. once you get this you need to reply ASAP. Ford Customer service generally believe that after they send out this letter they will not a reply from 75%. Iam still waiting my second response. I got the 1.4 TDCi and get 25% less than they quote, but it’s the smae engine in the 207 and theirs more or less matches the brochue - Nick Smith from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 39476

M Smith, Essex

Ford Fiesta TITANIUM 1.6 2009

The steering is over-sensitive, especially at slow speeds, there is no engine temperature gauge, the rear seats do not fold flat enough, the car is easily buffeted on motorways on windy days, fuel consumption could be better, is there really 120HP under the bonnet? Mine just broke down and had to be recovered by the AA and taken to the local dealer, just conked out and won’t start!!

I recently bought one of these... if it "conked out" and wouldn’t start....what was the reason? - from Bedfordshire

I echo the comments made by this poster. I’ve had the car three weeks. It’s a nice little car but fuel consumption is atrocious. My old car was an X type diesel 2.0 litre - used to get average of 44 mpg on urban. With the Fiesta, I’m getting around 34 mpg. Crazy! I also think the steering is too light at times, and you really do get buffeted about the road like a toy on a windy day. Very disappointing - Sue Pattie from England

What, no temp gauge on a titanium? I don’t think so! - Trevor Bamford from Lancashire

I bought a 2011 1.6tdci Fiesta Tit in March 2013 to replace a 2007 Focus that died with immobiliser problems. Unpredictable throttle especially at low speeds with flat spots all the way up through the gears. Took it back to Lifestyle Ford who merely changed a fuel filter under warranty. If anything problem is now worse. Much of the dashboard consists of a central protruding wedge peppered with little shirt buttons. Irrelevent outside temperature gauge and NO engine temperature gauge. Heater controls are fiddly and out of driver’s peripheral vision tucked low down under the ’wedge’. Auto wipe works unpredictably, sometimes for no reason at all. Auto dimming rearview mirror is inadequate especially against boss-eyed/cross-eyed headlights. Will abandon for something more basic and conventional once I no longer have to visit sick parent in hospital each day. It won’t be a Ford - from Kent

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 39481

Shaun Gibson, England

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2009

Hi. I love my new Fiesta! But sadly today its started making a loud knocking noise from the engine! its only done 10k! anyone any ideas or have a fault like this? just a bit gutted, I only got it 2 days ago!

If you’re getting fumes in the cabin,then it sound like the injector seals - Duncan Macpherson from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 39511

Colin, Derbyshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci Titanium 2009

I bought this car for my wife in November, it drives well and the build quality is excellent, the only down side is the fuel comsumption, it’s doing around 48mpg. My wife had a petrol 1.25 58 reg Fiesta new shape for 3 months, this was obtaining 39mpg but had no mid range power so we swopped it for the diesel plus £2,500.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 39510

N Mann, Gloucestershire

Ford Fiesta 2009

Like other people I am unhappy with fuel consumption. Is this correct it takes a while to kick in, as this sounds rubbish to me? Happy with the rest of the car though. Can I get a refund I wonder?

I have now completed over 30000 miles in 13 months of ownership. I would say that the brakes are exceptional. My pupils always brake too hard!! I think it drives very well indeed. It is fun to drive although my previous Fiestas have arguably been better. Let downs on this car are 1 Boot warning light stays on intermittently 2 Cooling fan was faulty at 20000 miles. Ford said that it was normal that the radiator was extremely hot. The air conditioning failed to work and the car kept steaming up. Added to this the smell of burning rubber caused me to cancel several lessons until Ford accepted that there was indeed a problem. 3 The main reason why I am not getting another one to replace the current one, is that the fuel consumption for a 1.25 petrol has never been much over 35mpg even with me driving it. On one occasion it went down to low 30’s. 4 Having driven the Skoda Fabia and looked at the feedback on it on this website, I have already decided to go and buy one this Tuesday coming - Peter Devonshire from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-12-17 | ID: 39508

Dave Fox, Northamptonshire

Ford Fiesta Style+ 2009

I Rejected a late 08 car due to all the problems: Doors jammed shut, duff engine, droning sound in the car at idle, stink from somewhere,etc., etc!! Got it swapped for a new one. Covered 12 miles in the replacement car and the gear linkage fell apart and onto the road and had to be pushed to the roadside by the AA. A temp repair was carried out. Rejected this car too. Unbelievable, 2 duff new Fiestas one after the other. I’ve got a Peugeot 207 now, no problems at all !!

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 39507

William Lewis, Torfaen

Ford Fiesta Tatainium 2009

A great little car, I love the feel and drive, BUT cannot stand or get used to the wing mirrors. They seem to have a left hand drive overtaking mirror fitted for a left hand drive car. Is this because we are not considered over here, only being a region of the great EU?

Submitted: 2009-12-11 | ID: 39506

John Bristol, England

Ford Fiesta Style 2009

After owning a Ford Sierra for about 20 years with no problems I have now traded it in on the scrappage deal this year. I decided to get a brand new Ford Fiesta Style 1.25 (82), I am now beginning to regret buying this 59 Reg Ford Fiesta. The petrol consumption on the Fiesta is only about 28-29mpg around town, my old 1.8 Sierra did 30mpg. The gearbox on the Fiesta clunks when you go in a forward gear and crunches when you try to go in reverse, I think they forgot to put the synchromesh in the gearbox on this new car? If you ever need to change a rear lightbulb you have to dismantle half the boot to take the whole light unit out just to get at the bulb assembly, it’s the same with the front headlamps you have to take the whole light unit out. I expect a lot of the new Fiesta owners will have to pay Ford mechanics to change the light bulbs for them "expensive". Overall I think it is a very disappointing car.

My Titanium 1.6 is suffering from the same reverse gear crunch! Are we an unfortunate minority that got the rubbish gearboxes or is everyone with a new Fiesta having this issue? My brother in law has a 1.4 and he has not experienced the reverse problem which leads me to believe not everyone is getting a rubbish gearbox? - Chris Black from Northamptonshire

Have you tried putting the car into 5th then into reverse? This works for most Fiestas with this problem - Jeff King from Essex

Changed headlamp bulb in 15 mins, 4 screws, job done - Robin Evans from Norfolk

I have had a 1.25 Ford Fiesta 2009 style since Christmas and although I do love this car, the fuel consumption is rubbish and I also have this reverse clutching problem. I took it back to the garage and they said they could not replicate the problem so would do nothing. It jumps out of gear when you raise your clutch and you have to hold it in place - Ann Elcock from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 39497

Andrew Baron, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2009

On the whole I’m happy with the car but like so many reviews on here "Boot open" problem is driving me mad. Every time I get in the car and go to start the engine the boot pops open and I have to get out and slam the thing shut. I then have to drive the car with the doors locked for fear of it popping open again. It’s going into the dealer’s on Thursday so fingers crossed they sort it but the review’s I have read don’t fill me full of confidence.

I have a titanium Fiesta and had exactly the same fault kept saying boot open, so it went in to the dealer and they fixed the problem, all been fine ever since. Think its a common fault by what I have read! Good luck - Anne Cash from Buckinghamshire

Same here, I have a 58 plate and the display kept saying the boot was open when it was open or shut. I took into the dealer and it was fixed. Not had any problems since - Taha Taylor from Leicestershire

Hi, did they say what’s was wrong with the boot at all? I’m having the same problem but my local Ford is being funny about it, saying there’s no problem - Nils Pea from England

My 2009 Fiesta boot opens too when starting, does anyone know what the cause was or which dealer they used that fixed it please? The display only shows when the boot is actually open so no errors there. Will book car in under warranty but prefer to know of a dealer that has fixed the problem before as Alperton Ford (London) think its a short circuit somewhere and want the car for 2 days... any advice? Please help - Jean Walker from Berkshire

Regarding boot opening problems on my 2009 Fiesta which occured whilst starting the engine and driving along, first attempt by Alperton Ford replaced the latch and made it worse. Second attempt by SMC Ford in Slough solved the problem by replacing the switch, which I assume is next to the latch inside the tailgate / boot lid. All fixed free under warranty but car seems to have some marks and a small dent to the paintwork not previously there... THANKS SMC Ford! Car has been absolutely great apart from those issues, shame - Jean Walker from Berkshire

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 39486

Mike Broadbent, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta zetec s tdci 2009

I collected a 59 plate Fiesta Zetec s tdci with 17" alloys, body kit and privacy glass at the end of sept 2009. It’s been to the garage 3 times already. The first time was for an oil leak, they said the oil cooler was loose. The second time was for a bonnet respray and the third time was last week for another oil leak and what I thought was a turbo whine. The car now requires a complete new oil cooler and a full new gearbox. The car is back at home unable to be used. I am going to start rejection proceedings, never ever another Ford.

Submitted: 2009-11-30 | ID: 39492

Katherine Byrne, Northern Ireland

Ford Fiesta titanium 2009

I purchased my car in March and had a few little problems but was very happy with the car until I discovered water in my boot today. It is going into the dealer on Thursday. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?

See my reply a few reviews below. It turned out to be a faulty roof seam, which only leaked in wet and windy weather. This needs to be fixed by a bodyshop - from Norfolk

Hi Katherine, my wife bought an ’09 Fiesta last Sept, we discovered water in the boot well yesterday. After doing some investigation, we found that water was leaking, through the plastic insert on the roof left hand side of the car. Don’t know how they secure this moulding, it could just be glued. Anyway it’s going into the Ford garage for repair under warranty - Lyn Bettinson from Ceredigion

I had water in my boot it was the seal on the back window - Marie Newton from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 39493

Jill Smith, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

This is an excellent car. I bought mine with the heated front screen, spare wheel, scuff plates amongst other things. It runs very well and I’m very pleased with the car. Well done Ford.

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 39523

William Masters, Berwickshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

On behalf of my next door neighbour and his 2009 Fiesta Titanium. When the weather is really blustery, with driving rainv for some reason he has water on his back seats and boot space. We had the reply of "did you have the windows down a bit?", but the car was secure all around. Anybody any ideas?

I have the new 1.4 Fiesta Zetec. You have to give the tailgate a good hard push to make sure the door is closed properly, same with all doors as they are all air tight doors . To make sure the doors are closed properly on to the second catch, wind a window down slightly before closing it and it will close easier. Your friend probably is not making sure they are closed onto the second catch, they are probably only closed on safety catch. A light on dashboard tells if doors are not closed properly and make sure windows in rear are fully wound up. Also check all door aperture door seals are fitting properly. I guarantee this will cure your problem. This is an ex Ford panelbeater talking. Good luck - John Craig from Lothians

If the other answer doesn’t help. I have experienced water in the boot space, which was traced by the dealers bodyshop to the roof seams. Which they fixed. The bodyshop manager also mentioned to me that they had a Fiesta in with very wet rear seats. This was also traced to a faulty roof seam. So it may be worth having the dealers bodyshop look at it, if you can persuade them to of course! - from Norfolk

I have 59 1.4 Zetec. Boot filled with water and passenger side floor soaking wet. Going into the garage next week to ( hopefully ) put right. Note: The doors and boot were all properly closed. Although I bought the car in March 09 I am told by the dealer it is not covered by warranty for this problem !! - Derek B Bushnall from England

Submitted: 2009-10-08 | ID: 39516

Alan Perkins, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

We have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Zetec bought in January. The car has recently broken down. The fuel range read 45 miles at the time. The AA found that the car had run out of fuel. The facts were all witnessed and recorded by the AA on its Breakdown Report. The dealer (Evans Halshaw) is unwilling to repair the vehicle because they say they don’t think anything is wrong. They have suggested verbally that we should fill up wth fuel before the car shows a range of 60 miles or less!! We consider that this is dangerous and we have therefore left the car with Evans Halshaw.

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 39521

David Hughes, Herefordshire

Ford Fiesta ST 2009

OK, buying an ST?? For 10 grand a nearly new example, I think the car is superb. You’re never going to get raw performance with a Fiesta, but the grip envelope is superb, with a decent driver in control, you can upset some serious cars in A and B road territory. I’ve owned the ST for almost 2 years and it never goes wrong! Fuel consumption is the right side of 35 MPG and it’s like a faithful terrier. I wouldn’t buy another one as I’m looking for a Focus RS in 2010, but by God, what an experience this car has been. Anyone looking for a dependable, inexpensive car with a lot of bite, look no further. Seats are great by the way, and stick with Zero Neros all the way. Grippier than an Amazonian tree frog dipped in superglue.

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 39520

Peter Thornton, Surrey

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2009

I have had my Fiesta for 3 months now; - it is the first new vehicle I have ever bought that is completely faultless and has not needed any remedial attention from the dealer. The 1.4 engine is smooth, quiet, and surprisingly lively, and it’s steering, road holding, and comfort puts it in a class way ahead of the competition. The dealer included the audio/bluetooth package foc, which has resulted in one very satisfied owner.

Submitted: 2009-10-01 | ID: 39522

Joe, London

Ford Fiesta ECOmatic 1.6. 2009

I haven’t obtained the car yet and after reading your article on its reliability I think I will go for the new VW instead. Its a pity because it sounds like a nice car in all the blurb and hype. Spoilt by the quality of components and Fords inspectors not doing their job properly.

Sorry Joe of London but your review is just nonsensical. You haven’t road tested or owned a 2009 Fiesta so I’m not sure why you bothered posting and giving the car a low score. I also don’t know which build quality and reliabilty report you read but it certainly wasn’t Jack Carfrae’s because he praises the new Fiesta as ’much improved over Fiesta’s of old’. I hope you enjoy the new Volkswagen and post a more-informed review of that car - Bob Moody from Somerset

I agree, why write a report about a car that you haven’t even driven? It will be interesting for me as we have reserved a 2011 Fiesta in the states and I would like to compare my experiences with those of you across the pond - Eric Edwards from United States of America

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 39513

Shampa Dutta, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4 TDCi 68 PS 5 door 2009

I was happy with the car because the road tax is low and the fuel consumption on this diesel model is very good. That was until last week when I had to stop the car in the middle of the road because of real dense smoke coming from the bonnet. When the AA looked at it, they stated that because I drove on the steep hill, mostly on the clutch, the clutch plate has worked hard and thus the smoke, but no need to replace the clutch. However when I took the car to the Ford dealer I bought it from, they suggested I have the clutch replaced at a cost of £462. As the car has only done 5,000+ miles, I hoped it was covered under warranty, but Ford is denying that. How can a car with 5,000 miles need a clutch replacement? I feel strongly that it was a faulty clutch and Ford should pay for a replacement.

You want to learn how to drive properly! - John Deeds from Devon

Agree with the guy from Devon. I had a VW Passat estate car, a 1.9 tdi and used it as a taxi. A lot of the roads in central Edinburgh are hilly and I (admittedly) used to ride the clutch myself in traffic queues on the hills. If it was smoking you would smell a burning smell and that is the start of the clutch losing its usefullness and advice on renewing was right - manufacturers do not cover for wear and tear so put this one down to experience as I had to do to and drive properly - John Craig from Lothians

Submitted: 2009-09-16 | ID: 39525

Anne Cash, Buckinghamshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

I brought my Fiesta back in May 2009, and apart from having the common problem of the boot, having to slam it shut, but had it sorted out under warranty (has been fine ever since), it’s a superb car. The fuel consumption is very good, only fill up £30 for the tank and it drives so well. It’s very nippy and the steering is brilliant. All in all an excellent run around, Ford have really improved this car. I used to have a Vauxhall and can honestly say that my Ford drives so much better and feels safer. Very happy customer.

Hi Anne. I got the same prob, driving me mad. Got a 2010 plate 1.4tdi, going to repair on Tuesday, but they sounded like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Do you know what they actually did to fix your boot so it does not keep opening? Any info most appreciated. Kind regards, Clare Ledwith (clareledwith@hotmail.com) - Clare Ledwith from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2009-08-28 | ID: 39530

Bob Moody, Somerset

Ford Fiesta Style 2009

Bought a 09 Reg 3-door Fiesta Style in March and really like it. Not only does it look great but it also drives great. The ride and handling is excellent for a car this size and the speed-sensitive steering is a real noticeable bonus too. The only problem I had was the apparently common issue of an over-sensitive electronic boot latch where it kept saying boot open and needed a good slam shut to clear. Fortunately, this stopped happening after about 3 months - so although my Ford dealer said they would replace it under warranty, I didn’t actually need it replaced in the end. The peppy little 82 bhp 1.25 cc engine is nice and nippy too with just a little lag at the beginning of any foot-to-the-floor hard acceleration. Petrol consumption is fine as well. I am getting regular 46mpg with a mixture of motorway driving and to a lesser extent, town driving. I’ve also driven for another 75 miles after the fuel empty light came on and still had a couple of litres left in the 45 litre tank when I filled up again. It would definitely be better if the rear seats folded flat to make the boot space more versatile but I knew they didn’t before I bought it so can’t really complain. I also think that the silver plastic trim around the console looks a bit cheap but I can’t say the same about the installed sound system because it is excellent. All in all, a lovely car that I find a real pleasure to drive.

Keep your driver’s door window slightly open when closing tailgate, let some air in as these vehicles are air tight. Door will close easier and you will not have to slam tailgate (ex Ford body builder) - John Craig from Wales

Submitted: 2009-08-27 | ID: 39528

Mandy Bubbles, England

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.3 2009

I have had my Fiesta Zetec 1.25 for 5 weeks now... not good. Have done 1200 miles but spent £207!!! I’ve only been driving for a year but I seem to think this is not good!! I use to spend £70 a month in my old Fiesta 1.3 1997 plate. My average mile per gallon is currently saying 30 when it is suppose to be 49.8mpg, Ford told me it takes a while to "kick in" before I start getting my 49mpg. I do a lot of mixed driving, motorways etc... so I’m sure it is not my fault, also it is impossible to get the car into reverse without it making a crunching noise!!! Nice car but tooooo expensive to run.

Submitted: 2009-08-19 | ID: 39535

Sarah Cardiff, Cardiff

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2009

Brill little car, why is everyone whinging about fuel consumption? I had a 2.0 S-Max before this and spent £70 a week (300miles); now I only spend £30 a week and get around 300 miles out of the tank - brillant in my eyes. Although problems are there; the doors have to be slammed due to the high pressure in the car, keeping another door open or window open whilst shutting car has a better effect (not when locking I admit). Power folding mirror have just started to have a whinge on fold in so keeping an eye on them. Clutch release bearing is the problem with the noisey clutch. You will never get rid of it! I have the aux & bluetooth on the stereo which are now causing me probs but I’m going to re-set the stereo 1st before going back to the dealer, its less hassle, plus if you re-set the ipod as well that re-boots the system. Only real problem is the noise from the front tyres, whiring noise and now increased to a loud metal noise. I’ve had the tyres off, brakes cleaned and its still there. No idea what it is. Thankfully I have a trained Ford technician at home who has helped solved some probs & too can be stumped on what actually wrong. But generally its a little fab car, there are better cars out there that do cost a lot more I have to agree.

Submitted: 2009-08-17 | ID: 39536

Roger Kingdom, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Fiesta 2009

Road noise is terrible on bad surfaces, especially on the motorway. I’m not sure if it’s just the Bridgestone tyres to blame I think it’s a combination of the tyres and the Fiesta. It can get so loud I’m pretty sure extended use would cause hearing damage.

You will get that on any bad road surface mate. Try and keep your windows up and your radio on until you get on to a smoother surface - John Craig from Lothians

I’ve had the same problem with very bad road noise. I think John Craig must work for Ford PR department. I’ve tried other makes and the road noise is a lot better then in a Ford - Roger Andrews from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-08-12 | ID: 39532

Anne Morfitt, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2009

Bought it in January; by February the seat belt warning sound started constantly bonging! Applying indicator cancelled it! Petrol consumption not good. In July knocking began on steering, new steering column fitted. It is now August and the steering has gone again!!!

If you have only had the car since Jan surely everything is covered by warranty? I understand where you are coming from though, its a lot of grief! - from London

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 39537

Amy T, England

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

I bought my new car back in March and had nothing but problems with it. Within 3 hours of having the car and filling up with fuel it leaked about 10 litres of disel everywhere. The AA had to come and fix it and it turned out to be a loose filler neck clip. Since then there has been a constant fuel leak every time it is filled up. I have taken it back to the garge 6 times, 4 of these times I was asked if I was filling it up correctly! I was not happy as they did not find the fault but it still kept leaking. The next time I took it in they had it for 3 days and said the fault had been rectified. This was not the case and my car has now been in the garage and classed as off road as they are wating for a new designed part. There is no release date for it. I have been told that there will be no compenstation for this, even though every time it is filled up I lose about 5 litres straight away. I do excessive miles and have to fill the car up about 3 times a week so this has cost me alot in fuel. All I want now is my car to be fixed and to have an apoligy. All I can say to the people who have the new Fiesta is to check after they have filled up that there is no fuel leaking from under the vehicle.

Hi Amy, I’m from Sydney Australia, and have had exactly the same problems that you have had. I’ve had the car six months, and it has been back to the dealer six times. In addition to the fuel leak under the car - which I was told was my fault for filling the car incorrectly (?) - there was a panel on the dash under the radio that would constantly come loose every time I went uphill or changed gear (without dropping the clutch thank you!). Unbelievable! For my first new car, I am definately not a happy customer. Have you had any further responses regarding the fuel leak? - from Sydney, Australia

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 39539

Peter Devonshire, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2009

Initially I was very pleased with the new Ford Fiesta 1.25 that I use to instruct pupils. My particular gripe with this car is that the fuel economy is a disappointing 34mpg and the rubber seals on the doors do not allow the door to be closed with a firm clunk like VWs that I have had before. The clutch squeaks when pressed down and the seats and upholstery has not worn that well. The previous model Fiesta that I had before was a better car and more fun to drive. I doubt that I would go for another one when the hire is up in six months time. By then I will be on around 40000 miles. Options that could be considered are the Yaris and Clio. Both drive nicely and exude quality---and economy.

The Clio exudes quality, rubbish! The Fiesta is the best driving car in its class and you lot are the few people that must have bought the initial launch stock of these vehicles. These issues are sorted know, you should probably change it for a fresh one; there are some great offers on at the moment after all - from England

Just like to say, I used to have a 1999 Clio and loved it, I now have a Yaris and hate it in every possible respect, the new clio gets good reviews, I am in the process of rejecting the Yaris and am contemplating getting a Fiesta. Will be watching these reviews with interest - from Bedfordshire

Just to provide an update. I agree that the Fiesta is a great driving car and my pupils love it. The fuel economy is dire as mentioned previously, and recently the cooling fan went wrong on it; something the local Ford dealership refused to initially accept. Symptoms were rubber smells, overheating, gurgling of water when stopping. Added to this the warning light came on and the air conditioning didn’t work. All in all a good car but spoiled with such faults. I hired the Renault Clio on holiday which was great. I have test driven the Skoda Fabia and the Hyundai i20 and have to say the Hyundai is something else. Superb to drive, cheap to buy and a 5 year warranty... and by the way reverse is easy to get which it isn’t on the Fiesta. I rest my case - Peter Devonshire from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39692

Gemma Black, Essex

Ford Fiesta 2009

I got a new Ford Fiesta Titanium on Option plan and have had the car for a total of 6 months- in that time I have experienced problems with both the boot sensor as this rattles a lot where it has come loose and won’t close properly and I keep having to shut the drivers door forcedly so that it registers as shut. Overall I am very disappointed as I have been advised that 2 of the wheels need replacing due to them being slightly buckled, which is not down to me as I had not been in a pot holes or over anything to warrant that level of damage. The wheels seem to be crap as I had a 2001 VW Lupo and in all that time never had to replace a wheel. The average cost for a new wheel is £150 from the dealer and I think that this is disgusting having to pay out that sort of money as well as £260 per month for a new car. Fair enough if I went off roading in it!!!! However, can anyone advise if this is something I can take up with Ford? Thanks

By all means take it up with Ford. If that is unsuccessful contact your local Trading Standards Dept., and be prepared to go to the County Court to seek your remedy - Joe S from London

Ask for the zone technical rep to inspect your car when he is coming to the dealership on his visits. If no luck, ask him to put in a goodwill claim on your behalf. Ford don't like complaints and maybe they will help you out - John Craig from Lothians

We have a 2009 Titanium fitted with the X pack option (bigger alloys). Just been told the vibration is being caused by 2 buckled alloys and this is only after 1600 miles. Ford do not want to know about a claim and its £360 to replace the wheels - Brian Wyatt from Essex

Submitted: 2009-07-21 | ID: 39696

Sue Garbett, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Style Plus 1.4 TDCI 2009

Car delivered 2nd Jan 2009. No antifreeze in washer bottle, blew fuses on operation, sat in car to check car over for about 30 mins seat material sagged. I weigh 9 stone!! Car returned to dealers 3rd Jan for fuse change charged £8. New seat material ordered. All doors and boot very difficult to shut. Seat height drops daily constantly, jacking seat up, must be my weight!! Paint extremely brittle (Squeeze Green), chips all over bonnet, sills anywhere a brick can hit it. Noisy inside sounds like a fuel pump running constantly. The rear folding seats could have been designed to actually fold flat very disappointing carrying capacity. Quite powerful, pulls well and will cruise at high speed. Done 9,000 miles ( 11/07/09) and engine malfunction lights and service indicator lit up. Service due at 12000. Drives better than Corsa 1.3 tdi but quality of Corsa better. Bought the car based on design, 1st Ford owned not sure if I would buy another. Overall only just about happy with the car and looking forward to the lease ending. Shame!!

Had to have my seat pad replaced as it kept dropping everytime I sat in it, moved the seat and it would drop whilst driving. Had it replaced under warranty as in the end it stopped adjusting all together! - from Cardiff

Submitted: 2009-07-14 | ID: 39684

Paul Newton, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Style + 2009

Took receipt of a brand new fiesta on 30/06/09. On 01/07/09, whilst driving round a roundabout the electric power steering failed with no warning causing the steering to go from light to excessively heavy. I narrowly avoided accident. I feel I can not trust the car after this, and also, if this happens with no warning somebody may get killed.

Submitted: 2009-07-13 | ID: 39688

Philip McGarrick, Gloucestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Style+ 2009

Bought my wife a Style+ 5 door in May 09. Only done 500 miles so far so haven’t worked out the economy yet. On collection one of the rear doors wouldn’t open from the outside, but it would from the inside. Ford had ordered the relevant parts to fix this but fault cleared next time we tried it. Ford still changed the lock in case it was intermittent. The car came with no driver’s handbook. Ford say they will send one as soon as they are ready - 6 weeks later still no handbook! The car handles brilliantly; acceleration is excellent for a 1.25. The CD / MP3 player is also brilliant. The only thing I’ve noticed is there is a bit of acceleration lag if the air con is on. Overall a fantastic car, I like it so much I’ve ordered 1.6 Titanium with all the extras for myself which will be a 4 month wait from the time of ordering.

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 39677

Susan, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Fiesta 2009

Bought new Ford Fiesta Style in March 2009 only to find that repairs had been done before registration! NOT A VERY HAPPY BUNNY!!! Rear window shattered from inside car. I have been in touch with Ford - IT IS NO FAULT OF MINE. They say no defects regards window and I will have to claim from my insurance. Seeking advice from my solicitors. Anyone had any problems with windows?

Although not on a Ford, a friend of mine had a similar issue on a Skoda Octavia (went through windscreens like I drink beer!!!). His Skoda dealer would duly replace the windscreen each time (under warranty - in one case, the Skoda had been driven home from the dealer = 10 miles, after a replacement screen, only for it to break too on the way home !!). In the end, the dealer found a small weld spot on the windscreen surround that was causing a high-spot and subsequently cracking the windscreen when going over a pot-hole or bump. Removal of the weld sorted the problem. If it continues, insist that your dealer checks for errant welds on the bodywork around where the screen fits - Paul Mc from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 39675

Paul Davies, Swansea

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.6TDCi 2009

I entirely endorse Amar’s comments on fuel consumption, I manage only 60mpg nursing the car on a long journey, and consider that Ford’s published figures of 78.5 extra urban impossible to achieve, even in artificial conditions of a flat road, no wind and cruising at a steady 55mph! I too bought this car partly because of the published fuel consumption figures. Otherwise I am very happy with the car, but would like to hold Ford to account for misleading advertising on fuel economy.

Don’t listen to these fuel consumption figures from the manufacturer’s. These figures are achieved while tesing on a track driving at a steady speed without stopping. In the real world you drive at different speeds, stop/start, changing gears etc... They don’t do this when testing. Anybody who gets the mileage they say you will get os telling porkies - John Craig from Lothians

That is exactly the point, I don’t believe ford’s fuel consumption figures can be achieved, even in theory on a track with a steady speed and no stopping, that’s why I wish to bring Ford to account for its published fuel consumption figures - Paul Davies from Swansea

My wife has a 1.6 TDCI and it only does 49mpg its been back to Ford and will be going back again, as it’s false advertising and I’ve heard of ECU updates for them. Regarding the MPG stated by the manufacturers, I have a Alfa 147 JTD 140bhp and does better than the Fiesta and does what the MPG the manufacture has stated it will do, so I think Ford need to sort this out - from Yorkshire

I’m busy researching reviews of the new Fiesta 1.6tdci as this is the option for my next company car. What I’d get re-imbursed for fuel is based on the manufacturers MPG figures less 10% for ’real world’ use, however what many people seem to be reporting is that they struggle to even get 50 mpg let alone the 60+ I need it to do! I currently average 53mpg overall in my Audi A3 1.9 tdi and at least that doesn’t have the cheap feel plastic like the Fiesta..... I’m not looking forward to changing my car! - Alan Harvey from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 39670

Sue Johnston, Kent

Ford Fiesta 1.25 (82) Style 3 door 2009

Purchased car Feb 2009. Model 1.25 (82) Style 3 door. Not very impressed at all with fuel consumption as averaging at 30mpg which is far less than my 2003 Fiesta 1.4. Interior is not very well finished and the rear seats do not fold down flat, despite being told by the dealership that they did. The inside appears to be much smaller than my old Fiesta and the front seats are not very easy to move when rear passengers need to get in or out. No problems with the engine yet, but all the doors and boot require a hard slam to shut properly. Performance not great, but handles the road well and the steering is very light. However would think twice about buying another one in the future.

Submitted: 2009-04-24 | ID: 39718

The latest Ford Fiesta) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)