2008 Zafira reviews

21 April 2014

2008 Vauxhall Zafira reviews

Vauxhall Zafira reviews by year of make:1997 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Read all reviews

Mike Hoey, England

Vauxhall Zafira Exclusive 2008

I have owned my 2008 exclusive Zafira for near 2 years, which I bought from a well known dealer in Atherton in Lancs. I hate my Zafira with a passion, it just keeps going wrong every other month including the clutch, ECU, lamber sensors, cam belt, central locking and the engine management light haunts me as it will not go away, it keeps coming on when the car runs fine which is rare. The thing is I know my way around cars and paying £6000 for a car that keeps giving me a headache does stress me out. It has now started to lose power the odd time on the motorway. I did like Vauxhall, but will not be getting another one. I think I will be going for a Ford Galaxy next. Don’t buy a Zafira, you will regret it for years after.

Submitted: 2014-03-07 | ID: 50437

Jason Fisher, England

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 club 2008

I have a 1.6 valve Club. When I bought it I got told it smoked a little due to over filling of oil, so I drained it completely and topped up with fresh to the right measurement, but the problem has just got worse. It eats oil and smokes quite badly in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. Also my spark plugs keep getting caked in oil too. I’ve changed the egr valve to try to stop the smoke and super charge, but no joy can anyone give me any suggestions please? I have been told it’s either piston rings or valve stems, either way it is expensive, but I would like to know for sure before I waste more money on the bag of poop

Jason, the problem you have is gummed up oil rings. This a problem that happens in these engines. If people have always run the car with cheap semi-synthetic oil in try a good engine flush. Put it in with the existing oil and give it a good run for about 50 miles, then change the oil and filter and fingers crossed it should cure it. If not I’m afraid it will need new piston rings and head gasket, which is a big job, but when done will run like a dream. I speak from experience as I’ve just finished a re-build on a 1.6. It’s like new now. Always run fully synthetic oil in your engine and change every 8000 miles. Hope this helps. - Anthony Baker from Norfolk

Submitted: 2013-07-28 | ID: 50429

Pat Willison, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDI Breeze 2008

This is an honest review of this car and I write it in the vain hope that someone will make an informed decesion based on its content. When buying a MPV, most will notice what good value the Zafira is compared to others, but there is a reason for this...it’s cheap to buy as it’s of cheap build quality. In 2011 I decided to change my old 54 Plate Zafira for a newer car and had the unfortunate idea that the Zafira B would be as good as its predecessor. I have been a bit of a Vaulhall fan for many years and had owned Corsa’s, Astras and a Zafira, so for me it was a natural choice to choose the Zafira B. Sadly I was unable to afford a new car so I scrimped and saved and went for a 3 year old diesel Breeze. The car was almost exactly 3 years old (with in a week when I purchased it). After about 4 weeks of ownership, a warning light came on and I took it to my local Vauxhall garage who told me it was a DPF fault, the idea of a DPF fault sent shivers down my spine, however, all was not lost it was a sensor and pipe needed and I was presented with a £170 bill. The garage said they had tried to see if Vauxhall would cover it under warranty, but they refused. It was suggested I speak to Vauxhall and we may go 50/50 as it was only weeks out of warranty! Well despite several email and calls Vauxhall refused to help. So eventually I gave up, mainly because the staff that called me appeared to be reading a script and never really knew what they were talking about. Well time went by and in the 2 years of ownership I have had the following problems: 1) The trim buttons, the cover, the mirror screws and door panel kept coming loose or fell off. 2) The trim on the sill kept coming off. 3) The left hand 3rd row seat handle came off twice 4) The front splitter (Why have one of those on a family car?) started to come off. 5) The rear light clusters fill with water and condensation (I have removed cleaned the seals, dried them refitted them several times, but still they fill with condensation) 6) The steering wheel controls work intermittently, some days they are ok, but on others don’t work. 7) The horn does not work (may be connected to the steering wheel controls) 8) We getting an intermittent loud knocking from under the car (its been checked by a garage who have heard it, but can find no fault) it comes and goes so we live with it no matter how annoying it is. 9) Heater fan has stopped working on settings 1,2 and 3. We were told that its a resistor pack. This was replaced and it’s failed again. I have been told now it needs a whole new fan assembly. 10) DPF sensor failure. 11) Total DPF failure, now this did not happen while around town but on an Autobahn in Germany! I was told by Vauxhall 2 years ago give it a good run on the motorway and it will clear it. Well it was a good run on a motorway that blocked it! Luckily we limped the 790 miles home with the car slowly loosing power. £1300 to replace this! I can honestly say I have never been so utterly disappointed with a vehicle. The build quality appears to be poor as things keep falling off it. The electrics are failing, fans not working. I just have nothing good to say about this car it simply is rubbish! So before you part with your cash think very carefully, if you dont need a diesel dont buy one and if you can afford a bit more buy something else

Maybe you should have kept the 54 plate if was ok - from Gwent

Submitted: 2013-06-30 | ID: 50423

Mark Dalton, South Africa

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

I have owned a VW Touran TDi and it was a good car, I put a chip into it and it went a little better. I recently got a TDi Zafira and WOW what a great car. The ride is superb, interior engine noise is good and the power is great. I drove at 180kms per hour and it still easily accelerated to 200. The handling is superb and my wife didn’t even bat an eyelid. It is so smooth. Yes I’m sure the maintenance is probably going to be high, but it is worth it for the comfort and not to forget the panaramic roof. I am a VW and Audi fan, but I will definitely keep this one for a safe family wagon. And the consumption is very good at 15kms per litre average for a big vehicle actually for any vehicle that is great. Sorry for all of the other people with problems, but mine is great!

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 50366

Neal Cooper, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0dti 2008

When buying a Vauxhall Zafira 2.0dti check for oil leaks from the turbo. Then the dreaded egr valve, which puts the car into limp mode; this I find is dangerous when driving on fast A roads or motorway! Glow plugs can also seize in the cylinder head, which can be very expensive. Could be a excellent car if not for under the bonnet problems.

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 50364

Hilary, Lancashire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9cdti SRi 2008

I do still love my Zafira 1.9cdti SRi, but have also experienced most of the problems other reviewers have mentioned! I had the alternator changed at around 30000, luckily for me still under warranty as I bought it second hand. I have also had a problem with the dpf filter, however, folks I have a very knowledgable friend who told me to put a dpf filter additive (£8) in the tank every 4 or 5 tanks and blast it down the motorway every now and again; works a treat and I havent had to have it changed yet! Touch lots of wood! And the horn is intermittent. But apart from that it’s a great runner, no good on short trips for MPG but it serves me well all the same. I will never buy a Diesel with a DPF ever again, they’re a total waste of time and very expensive!

Hi, your intermittent horn should have been done by the Vauxhall dealer as it was on recall. It needs a new CIM fitted and it is done free of charge, just book it into a Vauxhall dealer, - I have had mine done – Rick Petch from Lincolnshire

If you find a modern diesel without the DPF tell us! (Well you could get the DPF cut off, but apparently latest rules mean you would fail the MOT). - from London

Submitted: 2013-02-23 | ID: 50361

Amanda Cork, France

Vauxhall Zafira cdti 2008

This car has been a nightmare from beginning to end. A left hand drive bought in Belgium via an English dealer to be used in France. The car has always had a smell of burning next to the rear driver side wheel. No garage has been able to explain this. The coolant fluid disappeared at a slow, but steady rate, needing regular checks and top ups. The car was bought at one year old having done approximately 50,000kms. It has now done 160,000. In this time the repairs have been numberous: Starter motor, suspension brakes, a ridiculous number of tyres entire distribution (done twice) and all parts associated with it and so much more. The latest and most spectacular was the loss of steering at the approach to a roundabout with a lorry coming the other way! Yes it was the steering pump. For all this Opel take absolutely NO responsibility at all. Reason why? I didnt have all my work carried out at an Opel dealer. I dared to use an independant garage. I am in dispute with Opel France in Paris and will continue with the pursuit of reasonable responsibilty acceptance by Opel. Oh and I did have one little bit of joy from Opel. A new radiator free, this because apparantly there is "a recall on this radiator" on this model. Not before the local Opel dealer quoted me over 400 euros for repair. Apparantly Opel had forgotten to tell their own dealer that there was a recall on this part. So that is why the coolant fluid kept disappearing! Opel, you are rubbish! Your ability to listen to your customers is rubbish. Your after sales communication is rubbish. Never ever again will I buy Opel!

Hi, you want to be very careful as these engines are prone to water pump failure around 40,000 miles, then this shreds the timing belt pistons hammer valves and you end up paying a very large bill. If I were you [ would be getting the water pump and belt kit fitted asap. I know it says change the belts at 100,000 miles but the water pumps do not last that long, I have known a water pump seize at 17,000 miles. - Don’t say you were not warned – Rick Petch from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 50358

Nigel Feeley, Ireland

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 club 2008

I’d had the car 3 yrs when I had to replace the ignition coil. The fan stop working on 1,2,3, speed, so the resister coil was replaced (not expensive). A year later the fan stopped working altogether, which I suspect is due to its motor seizing. Not fixed this yet as I think this will be expensive. These are all common faults on older cars, but Vauxhall still turn them out new with all the faults!

I’ve just repaired my Zafira 2006 plate and I’ve strip it down and replaced the resistor and a 7 amp fuse along with fuse number 4 which is a 40 amp and in the boot compartment there’s a second fuse terminal with a fuse for the heter blower as well and these are not expensive as it only cost me £23 in total and all is workig fine but the fan itself was seized a bit which I covered it in oil and unfreed it and now all is good and working. It is not a big job as all this is behind the glove box all to hand don’t take it to the dealers as you will get a hefty bill - Mark 1966 Oliver from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2013-01-31 | ID: 50355

Paul Williams, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

I had a 58 plate, which had just ran out of warranty when I started having problems. I took it to vauxhall who took a week to find out what the problem was; it turned out to be as simple as the egr valve, but they spent all week changing parts to find the problem. When I got it back the week after I was in Greece, so I left the keys with my step dad to keep starting it. After running for 10 mins he turned it off locked up and went in the house. About 5 mins later it set on fire and totally burnt out in 6 mins, the Fire Brigade said it was due to an electric fault. I have it all on dvd from cctv outside my house and now I have lost £4500 for choosing vauxhall. When I think about it now, I could have been driving that with my family in it!

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 50357

Malcolm Searl, Berkshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9tcdi 2008

Purchased at a reasonable price in 2009, I thought I had the answer to all my long distant high speed driving to and from France from the UK carrying full loads that my wife finds to fill it. What a disaster. The car has covered 53k now, of which I have done 41k, and has been returned to the garage seven times and has broken down four times, three times leaving me stranded in France. It has blocked its catalytic converter four times, broken three air conditioner units and had a steering problem causing it to pull to the left so hard that it was not possible to release the steering even for a moment. Vauxhall tested this car and said ’no fault’, but then I insisted their manager drive it and he was terrified as it nearly took him off the road. I will never, ever purchase another Vauxhall diesel ever. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I will be trading it in if I can get a dealer to take it. It has now broken down again, what a disgusting car.

I have never owned a Vauxhall, and never will. My advice to you is to buy a mtor bike and sidecar. Do you remember me? - Dave Everett from Australia

Submitted: 2012-04-02 | ID: 50378

Zoe Smith, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

This is the worst car I have ever had. It has needed nearly everything doing to it and has now just blown up whilst I was driving on the ring road; I thought I was going to die! There was no warning light or anything. Stay away from the worst car in the world.

Submitted: 2012-03-28 | ID: 50380

Michael Ball, Kent

Vauxhall Zafira Petrol 2008

I have had two zafira’s, the older version (2004 diesel) and the new shape (2008 petrol). My wife had a head on car crash in the older model and although the car was written off there was no visible signs of damage in the cab and she got off without injury - unlike the other driver. I had a few problems with the 2004 version when it was only a few years old where the engine light kept coming on and the speed was limited. This is common and eventually means a new manifold needed, which is expensive and couldn’t be cured without this by the garage. Apparently the diesel engine needs to be thrashed occassionally to avoid this and a fuel additive is a good idea (fill up with the premium petrol once a month). Apart from this and excessive tyre wear there have been no major issues and I’m very pleased with it; it did 20k a year before being written off at 80k. The 2008 petrol version we got had only 10k on the clock at 8 months old. Fuel consumption is about 32/gallon. The only issues have been excesssive tyre wear, the inside fan broke, all the discs needed replacing as they had jammed on after heating up (going up the Alps towing with 7 adults on board) and there is a common fault with the wiring through the car along the seal, which causes the central locking not to work and the boot can’t be opened. This is about £300 to repair properly. The rear 2 seats (6/7) are adequate for short journeys and much better than the Galaxy, which are uncomfotable. I’ve given a 4 score as the layoutand safety are excellent, and I’m generally very pleased with both cars. I would recommend the diesel, just make sure you get the Network Q warranty, which means all repairs are done without quibble. I would buy another.

Submitted: 2011-11-30 | ID: 50384

Leon Evans, Cheshire

Vauxhall Zafira Life (ac) 2008

I got a 58 plate 1.6 Life Zafira with 45k on the clock after owning a 2000 1.6 comfort for 4 years. A great family do-it-all car with no problems; the older Zafira has done nearly 120k and my mate loves it now! The 58 plate is a big improvement on looks and drives very good and was a bargain at £5k.

Submitted: 2011-09-26 | ID: 50422

Martin, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 petrol Life 2008

I bought my 2008 Zafira 1.6 petrol Life in May 2011 with 45k on the clock and have done over 3k in it so far without any problems whatsoever and I love it. I have done school runs, shopping trips, motorway runs and even used it as a builders van when needed. I opted for the basic model as there is less to go wrong and so far nothing has. I get approx 35mpg just plodding around town and approx 45-50mpg on a motorway run, but that is probably just my style of driving. The build quality is excellent and it is a comfortable car to drive even after a non stop 190 mile motorway trip. I did check out a lot of reviews on the internet before buying a petrol Zafira and decided against a diesel because of the problems that so many seem to have with them, but it would appear that you shouldn’t buy any newer diesel engined car if you are only doing short trips. I am quite happy that I made the right choice. Would I have another? Hell yes!!!

I bought Zafi 08 1.6 petrol exclusive, one owner 13,0000 miles, four months on, no probs ex-motabilty 35mpg 1st Zafi. Glad I bought petrol, nice car, price right, no probs, drives well, used weekends and shopping, not sporty cruse 70 no prob big boot if van caput & 7 pep coast weekends - Bill Palmer from England

Submitted: 2011-09-11 | ID: 50412

Peter Mann, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Zafira diesel 2008

I have owned my Zafira for two years and found it to drive well. The main problem is with the waterbased paint as I have had the sills re-sprayed, due to water lying under the rubber mouldings inside the sills of the door making the paint bubble up and rust appear.

Submitted: 2011-06-21 | ID: 50267

John Ayers, Middlesex

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTi Elite 2008

I think this is a great car and I use it for work and family holidays in Europe. I bought mine in 2009 and it was a year old with about 11K on the clock. I had a problem with the engine light last year and it was fixed under warranty. It has now come on again, but off course the warranty has expired! I took it to a garage that I used before. A vehicle engineer with years of experience on loads of vehicles and not just certificates on the wall. Tested on his computer and it is indicating the air flow problem that so many other appear to complain about. Getting it checked when he has spare slot and hopefully it will get fixed. Price? Who knows??

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 50247

Martin Turner, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Zafira VXR 2008

I’m now on my third Zafira. The first was a 2006 sri 150, fantastic car but I wanted cruise control. I then purchased a 2008 Elite 150, even better, no sporty looks, but with Cruise Control as standard, an amazing car especially having the cd30 mp3, which saved me a fortune in cd’s; burned my own 10 albums on a cd great! My next zafira was the VXR 2008 CD30 mp3 standard. Even better to drive, it didn’t have cc on it but I knew the wiring loom was there to fit it! It’s there on ALL VXR, Designs and SRi`s (150 version). The only let down on the VXR is Fuel, 19/23 mpg if I’m lucky and the tyres are £210 each. Admittedly I could get budget tyres at £100 each, but with kids in the car...hhhmmmmmm NO! To sum it up: VXR is the best to drive, I’ve had them all so I’d know! But if money is a problem then KEEP AWAY!....and £410 road tax.

Submitted: 2011-03-08 | ID: 50276

Rob Perks, Shropshire

Vauxhall Zafira 150 sri 2008

WHAT A COMPLETE MISTAKE BY VAUXHALL!! I have had my 150 sri almost 2 years now and its out of warranty. 5 problems: 1) Flat spots 2) Engine management light on 3) Spanner light on 4) dpf fault 5) Air leak. Myself and the wife are not slow drivers and we do drive the car to its full ability and the way Vauxhall recommend to regenerate the dpf so why does the scanner bring up this fault? Yes it does have short trips to school and shopping but it is a family car. Being in the trade myself I have checked for the air/vac leak but nothing found. All the power is there when the spanner light goes off but the engine management light stays on. When I eventually get this bag of nails fixed I will be selling it and buying a different breed of car. Gang together and take it to watchdog!

I bought a 56 plate Zafira at the end of January and it has been nothing but trouble. No warning lights have come on but I have had smoke coming out from the bonnet and wheel arches with fumes entering the car. I’ve had a new turbo, EGR valve, heater motor, central locking failure, all sorted out under warranty and most recently, complete engine failure while entering a roundabout. I have taken the car back to the garage again and also enquired about unusual noise when starting the car. It appears the starter motor needs replacing. The car is remaining with the garage until completely fixed. I have requested a replacement vehicle but as yet they have not responded. Not sure whether to keep pushing for replacement that could also go wrong or hope that all the work that’s being carried out at no cost to me will give me a trouble free car - Sean Hignall from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-02-21 | ID: 50280

Stuart Chamberlain, Wales

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9cdti 120 2008

Bought my Zafira new in 2008 and I have experienced the same faults, and more ,as all other 19cdti owners but I think you are missing the point, yes these faults should be reported to watchdog but surely the Zafira’s fuel economy should be its foremost concern. For it having such high tech state of the art diesel engine technology it only seems to manage 34 mpg combined and 20mpg when the dpf filter goes into regen mode. I can’t see how using twice the amount of diesel to burn off soot is very eco friendly? Vauxhall should be made to refund our money as the vehicle is not fit for purpose.

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI (150) 2008, purchased in August 2008 with 4000 miles on, had no problems at all. Used to tow a caravan and get 34 mpg when attached and mid to high 40s solo. 5th vauxhall and the best (wish they still did old style Agila for run around!) - from Durham

I average 33mpg combined travel on the motorway 80 miles over two days every week (1.9cdti sri 150), around 27 mpg with sport on or towing the caravan! I had the car two days when the spanner came on with no power. I took it back to Perrys, plugged this fault finder in. Turns out the dpf filter was blocked so set car to 3000revs for 20 minutes which burnt the soot off and cleared it. The exhaust has to reach 1000 degrees Celsius for this to clear and once done, there was a hole burnt in the tarmac outside the showroom. Touch wood it’s been okay ever since. It’s 13 months old now. I reset the mpg and drove from Filey to Sheffield and back and averaged 41mpg with just me in driving at least the speed limit all the way - Lee Robinson from Yorkshire

Lee Robinson from Yorkshire has responded to review - ID: 6336.</p> i average 33mpg combined travel on the motorway 80miles over 2 days every week(1.9cdti sri 150) around 27 mpg with sport on or towing the caravan! had the car 2 days spanner came on no power took back to perrys plugged this fault finder in dpf filter blocked set car to 3000revs for 20 minutes which burnt the sut off and cleared it (the exhaust has to reach 1000 degrees Celsius for this to clear once done there was a hole burnt in the tarmac outside the showroom touch wood its been OK ever since 13 months old now. did reset the mpg drove filey to Sheffield and back and averaged 41mpg with just me in driving at least the speed limit all the way</ - from

Submitted: 2010-10-18 | ID: 50329

Jim Sullivan, Essex

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTi 2008

I was very happy with this car when I bought it and have been driving it for the last 18 months with no problems apart from the window jets clogging up after a year. The garage sorted this at its 2 year service. The problems have started in the last few weeks with the engine management light coming on. The dealership just reset the computer first time and this time they have allegedly cleaned the DPF. From reading the posts on here, I guess I can expect the engine management light on within the next few weeks and another lecture from the dealership about thrashing the car once a week. I am now concerned that I have only huge bills to look forward to when it comes out of warranty and am beginning to think, buy another car now! The dealership doeesn’t care, vauxhall doesn’t appear to care, why should they be rewarded with our custom? The next time I hear sob stories about how they are on the verge of going bankrupt, I will laugh my socks off because they don’t deserve to be in business. They are no better than thieves and con merchants. Quite frankly, I am going to lobby that these dealerships and manufacturers are prosecuted for their incompetence and dishonesty towards their customers. Hopefully, we can get this on watchdog to publically embarrass vauxhall and cost them future sales. The sooner companies and dealerships like this are out of business, the better!

Submitted: 2010-07-13 | ID: 50312

Nicola Robertson, England

Vauxhall Zafira SRi 2008

Bought this car in Feb 2008, had the car a week and it started cutting out on me. I took it back to the garage and they couldn’t find a problem with it. After 4 wekks the drive shaft went. In the mean time I took it back and forward to the garage, for it cutting out and they still couldn’t find a problem with it. After 8 annoying months I called in the AA to check the car over as I was getting nowhere. Within 5 mins they said "it’s your altenator and erg valve". As the car was just out of warranty they wouldn’t repair it, even though the car had been back and forward, I told garage to check records and they said they had a new system and all records had not been carried over - HOW CONVENIENT for them. Then the bolt snapped on the gear box and they said it was wear and tear... yeah right. Then the dpf pipe split which led on to the manifold motor going and then the gaskets went... then the throttle body. All in all I have spent nearly £4000 on this car in repairs. I’m now buying a new one and would not have another Vauxhall if they were giving them away. The amount of money I’ve lost in work and repairs is atrocious and I feel so sorry for other people who have bought this car. I have also had the same problems on the Vectra which my brother in law had; all the above same problems.

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 50190

Lisa, Norfolk

Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 sri 2008

We bought this car 8 weeks ago, I was happy with the car all ’round as it suits our needs. However, two weeks ago an intermittent clunking noise started on the passenger side, which sounds like its coming from the rear. After waiting a week for it to go into vauxhall I was told that it was the exhaust hitting on the heat plate, ok thats a relief I thought. I live 8 miles from the garage and I hadn’t even got 5 miles and it was back. It doesn’t happen all the time but it is scary when it does. Vauxhall don’t seem to know what the problem is, any ideas?<br /><br />

Hi Lisa, just to let you know we have recently launched our twitter page twitter.com/VauxhallCustSvc. Feel free to send us a tweet and we may help you. Or send an e-mail vauxhall.social.mediaATgm.com. Thank you very much. Take care, Sina Mino Social Media Team Vauxhall Customer Service - from

This may seem really daft but I had the same problem and it turned out to be the rear seat belt buckles hitting the plastic when I pulled away or stopped. Store the seat belts correctly and see what happens. - Paul Barraclough from England

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 50186

Toni McNamara, Sussex

Vauxhall Zafira automatic CDTI 1.9 Elite 2008

My husband and I bought this car just over a year ago with 12.000 miles on the clock. We have since added 12.500 miles. The car had been owned by a manager of Vauxhall and was immaculate inside and out, the 2 rear seats still had the factory covers on. The cost was £14.500 plus the trade in on our S reg Ford Focus (which we purchased as a new car and had never let us down). The Zafira was purchased as with a disabled husband, 4 grandchildren and a dog it was to meet all our needs, I have also taken semi retirement and it was our intention to travel to all different places in the UK and abroad while we were still able and young enough to enjoy. I need to state that when the car is working it is a pleasure to drive and does meet all of our needs. I would also like to state that up to now the service we have received at our local dealership has been excellent. The car is still under warranty so any repairs have not cost us. We had problems with the car losing power within a few weeks of purchase; the car suddenly lost power and came down through the gears, it appeared to right itself within a few minutes but the warning light for the emissions came on and stayed on. This was on a Saturday .We did not use the car again until my husband took it to the dealership on the Monday. He was told a jubilee clip had come loose but to be on the safe side they had replaced the sensor. The car then ran well for several months and journeys were made all over the country. In Jan 10 we were returning home from Leicestershire on the M1 doing 70-80-ph when again the emissions light came on, (so much for the statements that the car needs to be taken on a motorway regularly.) We contacted the dealership who advised that although we had not lost power it would be advisable to let the AA take a look at the problem, We waited for over 3 hours in a service area. The car was checked and the AA mechanic revved the engine for several minutes and checked the jubilee clips. On returning home the car was again checked by the dealership who stated that there were no problems. This week a more frightening incident has occurred. On the Tuesday the car again lost power for a few minutes, reducing us down to a few miles per hour. It again appeared to right itself. The next day we left home to travel a distance of about 3 miles, Within 2 miles of leaving home power was lost for a few minutes, then appeared to clear itself. On the return journey we had travelled less then a mile when the car lost power at 40mph.The engine then totally cut out leaving me with no power steering and no brakes. This occurred on a winding country lane, I had to fight with the steering while my husband applied the handbrake. Luckily we managed to stop within a short distance. We called the dealership who advised us not to start the car as they wanted the computerised memory in tact. We called for the rescue services who took the car to the garage. The car was back with us within a few hours. We were told the filters were blocked but there was no evidence to say that the engine had totally stopped. When we discussed our concerns with a manager from the dealership he pointed out that to the best of his knowledge this had never occurred with any of the other car. I am a confident driver of many years but this incident has frightened me and I now feel totally unsafe being in this car and driving it around, I spend my time looking at the display panel waiting for the light to come on, or for the signs of loss of power or the engine cutting out. I see this car as an accident waiting to happen. We do not have the option of buying another car. We are also concerned about what will happen with the costs when the warranty runs out. I believe that Watchdog needs to pick up these concerns and I will be attempting to make contact with them. Vauxhall also need to do the decent thing and admit there is a problem and then to recall the car and rectify these problems.

I have read your report on your Vauxhall Zafira with interest. I also have a Vauxhall Zafira, which I used as a taxi. It has had the same problems as yours; loss of power, the dealer has replace the egr valve three times up ’til now. This stopped working due to a carbon build up making the engine go into limp mode but that was just the start. It has a particle seperator in the exhaust that also gets block from emissions (this is fitted to reduce emissions), you are looking at £900 to replace it, which mine has been. Vauxhall first said it was the fuel I was using, which is a load of nonsense; next cause they stated was it was a taxi, it was doing short miles, never said that when I bought it! So I started to look at this problem and found out by talking to taxi drivers all over the place that they all have the same trouble with this car. Because the emmisions build up in the exhaust, which only get burnt off if your doing more than 2000 revs for at least 15 mins and as you need to do over 70mile an hour in 6 gear, which most people only do on a motorway it never gets burnt off, it just builds up until the car stops. So for the past six months once a month I leave it in 4 gear drive at 60 mile a hour for 15mins, this has burnt the build up in the exhaust and I haven’t had any trouble since, but I will never buy another Vauxhall again. They made this car, and many more, with a system to keep the emmisions down that does not work unless you drive at 70 mile a hour everywhere. Hope this has been of some help to you - Charles Bowden from Durham

Interesting replies which echo my experience with another GM car, the Chevrolet Cruze! I had my first warning light shock with just 400Km on the clock. The handbook said I must not stop the engine but keep driving with the revs above 2,000RPM - difficult to do in the town! I had to drive 4 Km to the motorway and blast along at 120Km in 3rd gear for 19Km before the warning light went out. This has been a regular weekly chore and I have had the car back with the dealership 3 times now regarding the Diesel Particle Filter. Last Monday they discovered that a sensor on the filter was not working properly and changed it. By Friday the light was on again and another motorway sprint was required. I’ve just refuelled this morning and the consumption is a horrendous 10.6 Litre/100Km, or 26MPG. The car is supposed to have a general consumption of 5.4Litre/100Km and I’m extremely unhappy with this. I should have been advised by the dealership that a new diesel car with this mandatory DPF is unsuitable for a user making mainly local journeys. - Ken Johns from Austria

OMG I can’t believe I am reading this. I bought a Zafira Elite 08 about 18 months ago and have had the same problems but now my car is making a knocking noise when I place the clutch down. I am assuming my car is still under warranty but I am not sure what this noise is. Can anyone help? This car has been nothing but hassle ever since I bought it and I will be getting rid of it in October so I am hoping it will hold out till then - Alice Scobie from Perthshire

Submitted: 2010-06-01 | ID: 50166

Bill Macgregor, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 CDTI 150 2008

I have had this car for 1 year now and took it on holiday on the continent last year. Touring was a pleasure at 90 mph on the autobahns and auto strada. The layout suits us well. and my wife uses it to travel to work. I took it in for a service to the main dealers in Glasgow in April, when engine management light came on. An EGR fault was diagnosed and replaced. It still lost power on hills, so I returned it to the dealer and had the inlet manifold replaced (all under warranty). The car is still losing power and going back to the dealer today for yet more tests. I suspect the fuel pump is knackered as the engine feels as if it is being strangled of fuel. I am horrified to read of the poor customer service by Vauxhall dealers in these reports and will contact Watchdog later if I’m on the receiving end as well.

I was recently been having problems with power loss. I tried cleaning the EGR, this proved to be worthless and frustrating (as so much emphasis is put onto the EGR on postings). My problem was cured with a tank of diesel with REDEX additive in. After a tank of fuel the car was beginning to improve. After two tanks it was like a new car - Dave Hornby from England

Submitted: 2010-06-01 | ID: 50182

Geo McCulloch, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9cdti 2008

5 times now been back 2 dealer with DPF problem. contacted Vauxhall/GM and I quote they said I "should have read the handbook before I purchased the vehicle"? Also, that I "do not do enough miles". The car is not fit for purpose as they do not tell you at point of sale that you need to cover m/way miles in order to regenerate the DPF. Just a week back from the dealer ECM light has come on and now a terrible whine from the engine. This is my second new Zafira and the only one that has given me any trouble. It is now going back to dealer on Mon 12 Apr again. I have contacted the judge in the newspaper and also Trading Standards. the car has only done 18k miles. The mechanic told me they have at least 10 cars a week back for the same EGR/DPF prob. I was also told to take car on m/way 3rd gear and drive at 70 until regenerates, I tried this and took 2 hours on m/way before it cleared and used up a lot of fuel. I also had to pay for extra oil and filter change as fuel had seeped into the oil. Not a pleasant prospect. Search the net and there are similar stories re this problem, it must be a design fault?<br /><br />

We have 2004 1.6 petrol club with about 60,000miles on the clock. This car has cut out on me numerous times. Mostly whilst decelerating from high spped, which is usually when coming off from the motorway. It is quite frankly dangerous. We have had the EGR valve replaced in the last 2 years. We are lucky as a friend is a mechanic and used to work for Vauxhall so he repairs it. This is a problem across the whole range and apparently requires major redesign to resolve! Will never buy any Vauxhall again. We are getting rid of it asap! - Alison Jones from Staffordshire

Hi mate, I have the same problem, told the same. My response to Vauxhall was how can I read the handbook before I bought the car and I had to get Vauxhall to send me a handbook has the dealership did not supply me with one? I am in contact with Vauxhall at least twice a week, I will not give up but have you had any luck? - Darren Hoggard - Darren Hoggard from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2010-04-14 | ID: 50149

Mark Hardie, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 life 2008

I have bought this car for work and as we will soon have our 3rd chid. It eats up fuel, everyones 10amp fuse seemed to blow with the cold weather. The car gets to 60mph sitting at 30revs and makes a noise like you are at it’s peek, if you go a little above 70mph the car struggles and shakes. This car has little power at anything above 55mph. My 02 laguna, also a 1.6, has none of these issues and is a fair size too. This car isn’t very well equiped for kids, the laguna has every cup holder, several 12V connections for portable DVD players etc, the zafira has one 12V and cup holders if you use the middle seat down and a drivers cup holder in the middle of the clutch. Not impressed. The size is great for having more people in the car, but you have to have very short legs to use the back two seats.

There is adequate legroom in the rear if you just slide the centre seats forward. That is why the centre seats move forward and backward; you can have enough legroom for adults in all three rows - Mike Smithers from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2010-01-22 | ID: 50202

Jack, Perthshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elite 2008

I have covered nearly 30,000 miles with car so far and it has been a joy to drive and the only thing I have needed to buy for it so far is a 10 amp fuse for the windsceen washer. Needed tyres at 17,000 miles but since I swapped to bridgestone er 300 the car runs smoother and gives me around 40 mpg with very little wear so far. The one thing I did when I bought the car was have the dealer fit it with an underbonnet sound proofing which I noticed only came in the diesel versions and this made a great difference to any noise from the engine is now so low you can hardly hear it running on tick over. I will keep it until the new model comes out and hope it is put together in the same way. I would give my Vauxhall dealer Fiskens of Forfar 100% for service and customer care so far. Great stuff.

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 50201

Brian Donaldson, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Zafira elite 1.9 cdti 2008

I looked in to this car before I purchased it second hand. Certainly the post 2007 cars are better. Programming for dpf and improvements in dual mass flywheel are a few things that are better on this age of car, but I’m disapointed with the mpg. On urban i just scrape into the 30sand 40s on the motorway. The diesel clatter isn’t as bad as some people say! it handles superbly and pulls like a train, the power is more than enough for a family car. The a pillars are worse than the previous car, which is sometimes scary on roundabouts with cars disapearing totally in your blind spot making you crane your head round to see around the pillar. On the whole though a good comfortable family car. I also tow a caravan with this car which is excellent as a tow car. 22000 miles and lookin good,should just be run in now.

Submitted: 2009-10-29 | ID: 50231

Chris Booth, Essex

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

Car broke down with exhaust emission light on after doing only 24,000 miles. The dealer tells us that it will cost £2,700 to correct. We have experienced some problems since it had its first service such as stalling and suddenly losing power during the first few miles. Buy another Vauxhall? You must be joking.

I bought my 08 Zafira 1.9 Deisel 1 year ago with 13,000 on the clock from a Vauxhall main dealer. Within the first week it had a fault with the steering electrics. Instead of the horn working it would turn the stereo up!! In the last year I have done 10,000 miles. I have noticed that intermittently the car sounds as thought the exhaust is blowing. It stops after a while. I was told that this is normal and just to drive over 30mph until it stops? 3 weeks ago it was recalled by Vauxhall. They never explained the fault and since then the car has started acting up. This week, when trying to pull away the car stalls, with no power at all. It doesn’t matter if you press the accelerator lightly or to the floor, it struggles to accelerate and then all of a sudden goes. I have had three potential accidents pulling out of junctions when the car has almost ground to a halt. I also got stuck at a set of lights that were on a hill, the car refused to move forward. Today the Emissions warning light came on so it’s going into the garage tomorrow. It’s still under warranty. The gears also feel as though they are starting to grind and the clutch feels very sloppy. Is this normal? - Phil Atkinson from Yorkshire

Had my Zafira 1.9 tdi from new in 2008. Firstly the alternator went, only just about made it to the garage. Now just a complete loss of power when accelerating, can just about crawl up the hill outside my house, and trying to get across a junction is a joke. Has anybody had the same problem? Please tell me what the garage said, mine goes in tomorrow - Jason Broomhall from Worcestershire

Submitted: 2009-10-20 | ID: 50216

Steve, England

Vauxhall Zafira Design 2008

I also love my Zafira, nice and roomy and reliable... smooth ride and no power problems even though it’s only a 1.6 petrol... a great invention is the back seats folding down to give a large storage space... lots of different options... not bad on the juice either, I get about 35 miles to the gallon about town and more on the motorway... plenty enough for my 3 kids who get to choose what seat they want to sit in on a daily basis... would highly recommend and when I’m done with this one I shall be buying a new shape one... I won’t have any other type of car from now on... I’m hooked on Zafiras...

I can only advise that you stick with the petrol engine as I have a diesel and get less MPG than you on motorways and dual-carriagways. I can achieve 55mpg but my combined figure is only 36 and around the houses 31mpg. I have received no satisfaction from Vauxhall, and customer services is in Hungary so you can imagine the problems. Did you also know Zafira’s are produced in Poland? - John Forsyth from Northumberland

I am trying to find out the due date for cam belts on this model 2.8 design. Any ideas? - Caz Cherry from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-09-04 | ID: 50235

Nick Redmond, Surrey

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

I bought this car in August 2008 and have had so many problems with it. It’s a 1.9 diesel and it’s had new boot catches fitted, new fuel injector, and now when I reverse the near side front brake housing clunks yet Vauxhall say there is nothing wrong with the car, saying that the clunking doesn’t happen all the time. The engine management light stayed on and took weeks to get the car into vauxhall. All these problems aside the car, when working, goes really well; it drives like a dream but could do with more cubby space and a better sound system, and alloy wheels as standard. Does anyone else think the folding seat handles are poorly made?? Mine have come off plenty of times.

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 50238

Steve, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2008

Lovely sized-car, but had nothing but problems inside 12 months. Car began losing power and would not change up through gears and the emission light kept coming on and Vauxhall dealership said they had fixed that during first service around six weeks ago. Then car started losing power again, same problem back so off it goes for a second time. They spent two weeks telling me it was the EGR valve and that no parts were available (due to this being a common fault). When it arrived and was fitted, they then told me that the EGR valve problem had knackered the rest of the exhaust system and that it needed a full replacement. Which is on order. And has been for another two weeks and is still not available. Crap build, shoddy after-sales workmanship at local dealership. Needless to say I will not be replacing with a Vauxhall car when this car reaches its third year. Is it any surprise that GM are in trouble?

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 50438

Steve, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Zafira Elite 2008

I purchased this car a month ago and so far am happy with all aspects of the Zafira, except the fuel consumption. I am disappointed with the 31 mpg which I get on a combined run. Before buying the car I read the road tests, which claimed it would return 35 mpg.

I have the same model and never get less than 35 to the gallon even with a very heavy foot. At best on a drive it returns 39. I can only say to check the fuel used by filling up at petrol station as I don’t think the inboard readings on the dash are ever correct. I also put in some petrol additive now and again and it seems to help. It then shows that I am getting 38-42 on average - from Scotland

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 50472

Pete Oldfield, Torfaen

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI Breeze Plus 2008

Good points - excellent drive and a good looking car. However, buyer beware, the fuel consumption on my car barely reaches 35mpg overall - way below Vauxhall figures and surely one of the most expensive cars in it’s class to run. As for the trip computer mpg - well ignore it - those of you out there who think it’s accurate do some manual checks - you will be shocked by both the inaccuracy of the so-called on board computer and how much fuel you are actually using. Zafira = thirsty!

Submitted: 2008-11-13 | ID: 50492

Ian Baker, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 SRI 2008

Pro’s:- Reasonably quick 140ish BHP. Great flexible seating. Sports suspension on the SRI particularly on sports mode is great around corners and doesn’t roll much. ESP and traction controls also very good. Good sound from stock stereo. Sports seats on SRI very comfortable. Cons:- No CD mp3 player as standard (just normal CD player) even in SRI. Rear seats (very rear), don’t give enough room for larger teens or adults to sit comfortably. Fuel Economy - gas guzzler extreme!!! At best driving very lightly at around a constant 60mph 32mpg. On average I get around 26 - 29mpg which means filling up every 300 miles. Even on a recent trip to Spain of over 2000 miles (mainly motorways), I only averaged 28.2 mpg. Around town expect 18 - 19mpg!!!

I can’t agree more with what you say, I just wish I could manage to get your MPG the best I have seen in the car is 22MPG now it’s got cold with lights and heaters on I’m only getting 15MPG (steady driving with revs not touching 3K) - Chris Turner from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-10-14 | ID: 50488

The latest Vauxhall Zafira) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)