2008 Vivaro reviews

30 July 2014

2008 Vauxhall Vivaro reviews

Vauxhall Vivaro reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

liam, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vivaro 2006 - 2014

So pleased with my Vivaro 2.0 115bhp 2008 I cannot fault it at all, plenty of power for a van, good mpg. I wanted to leave a review because when I was looking for a van two years ago I tried looking at forums and people seem to give Vivaros a hard time. Please take all reviews with a pinch of salt because the fact of the matter is when folks have issues with vehicles they just slate them rather than very happy owners like me shouting out and saying they`re a decent van! Just remember when looking for a Vivaro or any motor for that matter have a bloody good look at it get to know what you`re willing to buy. I`m always driving different vans/trucks and I must say the Vivaro is so much more like a car than van it will comfortably cruise down the motorway doing 90mph if that was allowed, yet I am thinking I might get a remap just to iron out the turbo lag. All in all a fantastic van.

I totally agree with the above Liam writes in his post. I would like to add a tips for keep you satisfy whit your Vivaro for the future. A good advise is to go to the local dealer of Vivaro cars, and have them checked out that the water from the windshield does not flow into the engine compartment. If not, this maybe can cause you some problems in the future, if the day comes that you need to replace your injectors. Water makes corrosive reactions with the aluminium and with the steel made injector, and give your Vivaro dealer a hard time loosening the four diesel injector,and also rise the price for the repair, witch is a small normally, but can double the price in some caces. Such job of sealing the windshield drain can also be done by yourself, if you got the "spirit" for fix things . Remember to finish the job by taking a water test. Fill up a couple of buckets of water, and throw it on the windshield and check if it penetrates the engine compartment. If not, the job is probably performed correctly. - from Norway

I totally agree with the above Liam writes in his post. I would like to add a tips for keep you satisfy whit your Vivaro for the future. A good advise is to go to the local dealer of Vivaro cars, and have them checked out that the water from the windshield does not flow into the engine compartment. If not, this maybe can cause you some problems in the future, if the day comes that you need to replace your injectors. WSuch job of sealing the windshield drain can also be done by yourself, if you got the "spirit" for fix things . Remember to finish the job by taking a water test. Fill up a couple of buckets of water, and throw it on the windshield and check if it penetrates the engine compartment. If not, the job is probably performed correctly. - from Norway

Submitted: 2014-06-26 | ID: 98534

Lloyd Rose, England

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

Bought brand new. I got 90,000 miles before I changed the brakes and tyres plus rear shocks and bearings, but I do tow a caravan 4000 miles each year, so I put it down to that. The hand book says change timing belt, but found out it hasn’t got one it’s chain driven, so money saved! Oil changed every 9000 by Kwick fit for £50; I can’t buy oil that cheap and they dispose of the old oil. I just change the air and fuel filter myself. Would I buy a new one? What for? I still have a million miles left on this one! One problem is the dash board lights that illuminate the heater controls do blow, but I can change them in 5 minutes and they are only 10p each.

Submitted: 2012-11-17 | ID: 50037

Martin the Bricky, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vivaro swb 115 2.0 2008

Don’t buy a Vivaro, buy a Transit for stress free motoring. Vauxhall Vivaros may look good but they are no good, they are cheap for a reason. There seems more unhappy owners and more problems than any other make of van. I’m sat at home while my 08 gets endless problems fixed. I will be getting a big hammer to it shortly. Take note, DON’T BUY ONE!

Transits are a lot worse, read what Transit owners think of their van on this forum. Not just outdated and rusty but also poorly engineered. DON’T BUY A TRANSIT UNLESS YOU ARE A GYPSY OR CHAV... Vivaro pure class - Mike Harwood from Cheshire

Hey Dude, I’m a Gypsy and I drive a Vivaro. Less of the racist comments bud, feel free to slag off Chavs - Bryan Higgins from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2012-10-11 | ID: 50029

Tony Firman, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vivaro 115 PS. Fridge. LWB 2008

Further to my earlier review the van is now on 196K miles and about to be serviced. All I have had to replace is tyres, pads, front discs, one wheel bearing, nearside track rod end and rear door lock-under warranty. Van still travels 1700 miles a week on a mix of country roads and motorway-over a period of 2 years. Van still returning 34 mpg average and uses no oil between services. I have been told to expect clutch failure at 220K miles. I plan to replace it next Summer when it is on 250K. Of course one can only speak as one finds.

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 50054

Inderjit Shoker, England

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

I will never buy another Vauxhall so long as I live. The Vivaro is rubbish. I would rather catch the bus, atleast I would get some where.

Well if you buy a shed and expect trouble free motoring then you`re better off on public transport. I`m guessing though that you are a Transit fan. No vehicle, not even Honda will get to every service without needing some other maintenance outside of the schedule and to moan about a used van that may have been thrashed year after year by it`s owner and heavy gear changes when the box is cold, ie, driven unsympathetically for 40,000 miles and needs work, is ridiculous. This applies to all vans, not just Vivaro’s. Most knackered Vivaro’s were probably driven by ex Transit owners so what do you expect? - Burt Tees from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2011-08-02 | ID: 50058

Gareth Thomas, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vivaro sportive/double cab/crewcab 2008

Bought mine new in Nov 08. Everything was all right until 14000 miles, when it got a bad clutch rattle and a sort of tinkling noise from engine under accelleration. I took the van back from where I bought it from, and all I can say is I would not give them a push chair to look at! This went on and on for several months. Milage now at 21000 and still no joy although the tinkling sound was cured for a couple of weeks, but that was it. I’m completly disgusted with the service from the dealer and customer support. A work colleague advised me to take it to another dealer and within 1-5 hrs they said the gearbox had to come out and the clutch was noisy, which was done under warranty. They are still trying to find the source of the tinkling noise on accelleration, but I can’t complain as they’re pulling out all the stops at the mo. All said and done this is an excellent van for what it does, I just wish Vauxhall customer care was better.

I too have a Vauxhall Vivaro with a tinkering noise coming from under acceleration. Did you find out what the fault was with your and if so, what was it? Any light shed on this would be helpful - Jay Kee from England

Submitted: 2011-07-06 | ID: 50010

Julie Hill, Surrey

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

Lovely looking van but rubbish; auxilary belt went after a few months, back door lock has broken twice, the air con is still trying to be repaired after three weeks and the alternator has gone.

Submitted: 2011-07-01 | ID: 50012

Stuart Knowles, England

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

Nice looking van, but the 2.5cdti has a major flat spot that made it dangerous pulling out onto roundabouts. Got a chip that has helped, but it is still there. Would not recommend.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-05-21 | ID: 50005

David Sanderson, England

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

I love my sporting vicar. Only one problem, the fuel gauge is electronic blocks! Almost impossible to know when one will turn off, and not very accurate, if this van had a needle for a gauge then it would be perfect.<br /><br />

I totally agree, good van but struggle with fuel gauge. 2008 Vivaro, 57 plate, 2.0 Diesel. It’s been a good van so far, 60,000 miles from rear tyres, 26,000 from front, 43/44 MPG average. Going off reports on here, I’m lucky - Mark Tucker from Somerset

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 49993

Santa, United Arab Emirates

Vauxhall Vivaro 2.3ltr petrol 2008

My car has had a lot of battery problems at 5,000 kilometers then at 6,000 kilometers and at 19,000 kilometers. It has finally been resolved. My A/C problem has been there since 35 Kilometers when the car was brand new, they changed some valve or something and then it became ok, but now at 40,000 kilometer again there is A/C problem and it is in the dealership garage as I am writing this review; its been two days and they have not come up with an answer to why the A/C is not cooling. The head lights have been foggy since the day I bought it, after complaining alot the headlights were replaced but then after a week they started becoming foggy again. This car has made a lot of trips to the garage, I am not happy with it and would not recommend it to anyone.

Submitted: 2010-09-01 | ID: 49987

Rod, England

Vauxhall Vivaro SWB1.9 CDTi 2008

Fantastic, had it from new as a company vehicle, it’s now done 120,000 miles, the only extra work done was tyres and brake pads, it’s just a shame about Vauxhall; the dealership we use is c**p, but they did try to change the timing belt on the last service, only to find it had a timing chain. The lumber support has broken in the back of the seat, but thats just me, need to loose a few pounds!

Hi, what year is your van? - from England

Submitted: 2010-05-29 | ID: 49899

Sarah Banks, Wiltshire

Vauxhall Vivaro Sportive Crew Cab 2008

Water leaks into the top of the engine and fuses the injectors to the head. As we still have warranty they will cover the cost but they will not replace your vehicle if it is over 12 months old, so ours has been in the garage a week and will be in there another 3 weeks until they can get the specialist tool they require to remove the injectors. This is not only my husband’s business vehicle but it is also our family vehicle as well. We are apparently "lucky" that 2 have gone now as apparently another lad has been in 4 times already to replace each one. The fix for this is to put silicone underneath the windscreen which stops the water getting in. Will I buy another Vauxhall? Definitely not, I would rather walk.

Lucky you, I have had the same problem, it’s done 70k and 2.5 yr old, out of warranty. It’s going to cost me a small fortune, Nissan dealers are absolutly cr*p. Don’t buy any of the Nissan/Vauxhall/Renault types vans - Mark Wilson from Devon

I have had the same problem with my injectors. It’s a 58 Sportive 115ps with 61k on the clock. I have had the van since beginning of November. It has been in for door sensors now the injectors are totally knackered. Vauxhall don’t want to know as it is outside the warranty as of 31st Dec 2011. Got a quote for £1,500 and Vauxhall will pay the rest which they claim to be 30% on to my quote. What a joke customer service is as well. I am off to a solicitor tomorrow to see where I stand. I would never have another Vauxhall not even if it was giving to me - Derryl Little from Dumfriesshire

Submitted: 2010-04-03 | ID: 49908

Antony Firman, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vivaro 115 ps 2008

Vehicle is a 115ps Euro 4 engine with a Fridge conversion, which I purchased as a 58 plate pre-registered van which had been stood on Dealer’s forecourt for 12 months. I paid £14000 and it was valued at £22000 when new. Current value is approx £7000. My work as a self-employed courier requires me to drive 2200 miles per week so van has covered 60000 miles from Sept 12th last year to March 2010. It is serviced on the button by a Unipart registered dealer in keeping with warranty requirements. So far only work required under warranty was a sticking rear loading door. Front tyres and pads have just been relaced. It is as good to drive now as when new. Comfortable, fast and responsive and with a 6 speed box and returns 38 mpg with mixed country/ motorway driving. Interior is still looking good with regular cleaning and seems to be very hard wearing.I have experienced none of the negative faults reported by some users and bearing in mind the hard usage the vehicle is getting I cannot rate it higher. If it had cruise control/bluetooth I would give it 5 stars.

Submitted: 2010-03-22 | ID: 49920

Derek Woods, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vivaro 2.0 cdti sportive 2008

I bought this van brand new. On delivery it had a puncture in os front tyre. When the tyre was removed for repair it had been repaired twice already (very poorly). Not a good start. After 7000 miles the gearbox became noisy at 13000 miles, it was very bad, then the gearbox was replaced under warranty along with os wishbone assembly and droplink with the total cost over 5k. After a further 1k miles the driveshaft failed, which was replaced under warranty again. I’ve got to say that the van drives like a car and as it’s the 115 psi version it goes like hell, it’s not that good on diesel though doing about 33mpg on a run. The seats are nice and supportive and the power steering is nice and light with decent feedback, although it tends to spin the driving wheels on anything over than bone dry roads. Would I buy another? No, I will go for a Transporter or Vito next time.

VW dual mass flywheels weak (£2000). Vito rust from inside out all over unless you buy from new and get rid after 3 years. Toyota, airbags, flyby wore need one go on - Dan Baker from Berkshire

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 49965

Peter Diet, Newport

Vauxhall Vivaro Combi 2008

I bought a Vivaro 2 litre 115 ps combi ( minibus) in April 2008 brand new. The steering made a terrible noise and they replaced the steering pump under warrantee. The battery (varta) packed up without warning after a year which was also changed on warrantee. It’s done 25k and so far has been good. It’s really quiet at speed and does about 600 miles on a tank. I have heard about the gearbox problems but these seem to be the old euro 3 1.9 engine ( I hope).

Update: I still have the van after 72k, it has just passed its first MOT and I’ve had no problems since. I bought alloy wheels for its birthday. It looks good and is still doing 600 miles on a tank, rear tyres doing 35k, fronts 20k. I’ve also had new pads - front at 60k, rear at 45k. - from

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 49929

Ben Payne, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vivaro 20 cdti 2008

I’ve now had several Vauxhall Vivaro’s (now leased throw Europcar). It is the best van I’ve ever driven, I’ve never had a problem - comfortable, fast, very economical. A great van, I spend most off my days in it and do many, many miles each year. I recommend it highly - drive it right and it will look after you. Forget the Transit (c**p), Transporter’s (slow and use to much oil), LDV Maxus (forget it). 5 stars for the Vauxhall Vivaro!

Transporters slow? Don’t think your 2.0 cdti will keep up with my 174, and I’ve never needed to top up the oil - G B from Cheshire

Think my 221bhp 2.5 cdti would though mate. Full holeshot racing tune and map. Exhaust and filter. As well as inlet and outlet manifolds. The van is on a 58 plate if ever you want to give it a go????? - Micky P Parker from England

I love the little boys having a p*ssing match - mines biger than yours ... - from England

VW looking a bit long in the tooth now - Hugo Martin from Berkshire

Submitted: 2009-04-28 | ID: 50117

Dave Cordier, Kent

Vauxhall Vivaro 2008

I have got the basic model,s eating very hard, no aircon - temp reaching 50c; cloths soaking wet with sweat, bottom bleeding - its like sitting on a wooden bench all day. Give me a Transit any day!

Why didn’t you buy a van with a/c then? Seems a bit odd to blame a vehicle for not having a/c, transit without a/c would be the same, you need preparation H - Peter Bean from Devon

Sounds like you already have a Transit, go and check lol. Vivaro is very comfortable to drive and nice to hand gearshift, unlike your floor change rot box. Stick with your Transit, a real pikey wagon. - Vivaro pure class and I`ve noticed it outnumbers Trannys from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 50114

Pete, Cardiff

Vauxhall Vivaro 9 seat bus 2008

Have only done 7000k so far as only had it 2 months ago. It drives ok, went to the South of France with 9 people plus skis at limit. French motorway speeds and did about 36 mpg. I was looking at the Mercedes and the Volkswagen but they are ridiculously expensive. There’s a performance chip available for this apparently and a friend who fitted this was impressed with the greatly increased power. One annoyance is that I ordered factory fitted black windows and it came without them! So I’ve put limo tints over them instead and it looks cool.

Submitted: 2008-08-06 | ID: 50097

The latest Vauxhall Vivaro) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)