2008 Corsa reviews

30 July 2014

2008 Vauxhall Corsa reviews

Vauxhall Corsa reviews by year of make:1992 1996 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

lynn, City of Edinburgh

Vauxhall Corsa 2006 - 2010

Corsa 1.2 16v 2008- total garbage i hate this pathetic car!!!!! Has cost me more to fix than its worth. Vauxhall should be ashamed..... i know i am when trying to move off at a roundabout. I give this car 0 star rating they should all be scrapped!

Submitted: 2014-06-12 | ID: 97578

Kay Gilbert, Bridgend

Vauxhall Corsa Design cdti 2008

I purchased my Corsa design cdti model in 2008 from new. The first time I’ve ever purchased a new car and the first time I’ve purchased a vauxhall. It had problems with the engine misfiring, seat warning light coming on when I leaned forward and the clock losing time; minor irritations, but I liked the comfort of the drive for a small car. The car has done below the average mileage 39,000 miles, but would not start last week. There has also been a strange noise coming from the driver side front wheel when I corner at above 30mph. My car was towed to the local Vauxhall dealership and I have been told that there is a problem with the fuel injectors. This is likely to cost £1400.00 and this is without finding out what the noise to the right front wheel is. In addition I have been told that when the injectors have been replaced there may be a need for other parts too. This may bring the cost to around £2000. I will never purchase another vauxhall again.

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 49327

David, Hampshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3CDTI SXI 2008

We have owned this car from 8 months old with less than 5000 miles on the clock. We bought it because it had the integral bike rack, which pulls out from the rear bumper and can transport two bikes in complete safety. The engine was never going to be liveley with only 1.3 litre capacity but it always sounded rather industrial and the turbo lag was very poor. The engine comes from Fiat and was originally used to power water pumps in fire engines. The car had cruise control which is a feature that both my wife and I use all the time and was able to maintain 80 MPH in 6th gear on the motorway without problem. However, about a year ago, the car would suddenly lose power when sat at a junction or roundabout, giving absolutely no warning until you pulled out. This was extremely dangerous and happened several times before the engine management warning light finally came on. The result? A replacement turbo at just 32,000 on a car with Vauxhall FSH. £500 to replace. Just a couple of months later and 35,000 miles, the fault happened again but this time an engine sensor had failed and a further £150. The engine has always sounded like a tractor, smokes very heavily on cold starting and has very poor acceleration response, but is OK once up to speed. Unfortunately we have lost faith with the car as we are just waiting for when the power will next suddenly drop off and place us in danger whilst pulling out at a junction. This may never happen again of course, but its always in the back of your mind. We are just about to replace the car with a new one, but have chosen to avoid Vauxhall due to reliability and safety issues. We have to say, however, that the main dealer, Pats Garage in Lyndhurst, have been very good to deal with and the last time the fault happened they collected the car from my workplace. Had it not been for the turbo and sensor issues in such a low mileage car, we would have considered a further Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2012-08-27 | ID: 49301

David Ayling, Hampshire

Vauxhall Corsa Sxi 2008

I’ve just put the car in for its MoT and the coil springs and top mounts had to be replaced. The car is only 4 years old and has only 38000 on it! I will not buy a Vauxhall again; my old Saxon was a far better car all round. I will save a bit longer to get a decent car next time and will go for an Audi A1.

Just had my daughter’s Corsa D in for checking the tracking. We were told they couldn’t track it as the front suspension mountings were shot. When you jack the car up you can rock the front wheels as the whole strut is moving. Is this normal? I’ve driven cars for years and never seen this before. - Robert Bowser from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-06-21 | ID: 49311

Bernard Bowbrick, Kent

Vauxhall Corsa Eco flex 2008

I’ve had this corsa for nearly 4 years and all I’ve had to do is buy 2 new front tyres.

Submitted: 2012-01-18 | ID: 49344

P Jones, Wales

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 TDI Design 2008

I have had several problems with this car: 1. Coil springs snapped (a common Vauxhall problem) 2. Four different engine maps needed (this should have been sorted before the cars were released on the market) 3. Brake discs worn down in only 30k, so obviously made from too soft a material. 4. Three rear wheel bearings needed. 5. Engine goes into limp home mode quite frequently and the dealer can not trace the problem. 6. New glow plugs needed, but this is probably wear and tear. 7. 39 MPG on a long run from a diesel? The most unreliable car I have ever had the misfortune to run.

I have just read your review for the 1.7 Corsa. I have had similar problems on a car that has done 18k. The rear wheel bearing collapsed and had to be replaced. Glow plugs replaced. Car went into Vauxhall for a service. When I collected the car from Vauxhall after the service, the mpg dropped considerably - down from 52mpg to 26! My partner thinks that Vauxhall have mapped the car incorrectly, but Vauxhall say that they cannot find anything wrong with it. Meanwhile, I am stuck with a car that was economical pre Vauxhall service, but is now rubbish. Can I ask who remapped your car and whether it cured the problem? - Fran Isherwood from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-12-12 | ID: 49354

Sue, Cheshire

Vauxhall Corsa SXI 2008

Awful car! Never again will I buy Vauxhall. It’s had problems from new; lack of power, lights faulty, brakes faulty, seats faulty. It’s a load of rubbish and I can’t wait to get rid of it!

Submitted: 2011-10-26 | ID: 49328

Nicola Leeds, England

Vauxhall Corsa SXI 1.3 CDTI 2008

I love my 58 plate Corsa! Nice shape, size, interior and an enjoyable drive. Having down sized I was worried I’d miss the space, but so far that has not been an issue. Love it!

Submitted: 2011-10-03 | ID: 49330

William Hepburn, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 Eco flex 2008

This car has been made into a bad buy by Vauxhall’s after care people, who could not care less about guarantee work. After you have bought the car their slogan should be "Do one" as they have a clause to cover everything and about the only thing covered is that the paint won’t change colour. I would advise anyone to steer clear of Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2011-08-26 | ID: 49334

A T, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.6 SRi Turbo 2008

Bought the car new in 2008. So far it’s had new discs and pads all round, new wheel bearings, problem with the alarm, an annoying rattle, poor offside rear visibility. The mpg however is about 40mpg. It is certainly very nippy! Absence of jacking points is annoying. No spare wheel hasn’t caused a problem to date. I have had several other new Sports and SRi models in the past but I think this may well be the last!!

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 49285

Karen Jeunot, Scotland

Vauxhall Corsa 2008

I was satisfied with the appearance of my car (bought it brand new) and the interior etc. I just have the plain version, only extras I have really are electric side morrors, however I find the boot very small. My old P reg was much bigger. I find that the acceleration is sluggish, especially between 3rd and 4th gear and sometimes it struggles to get up even a slight hill with just me in it (I’m small!). If I have passengers, it’s embarrassing! The car barely moves with my foot down on a hill. I have also found an ongoing problem with the clutch control and handbrake ..and NO ! I do not have problems getting the biting point! I have been driving for 20 years, and drive around ten different vehicles via my job. I have no problem with clutch or gears thanks, but this Corsa is a nightmare. It seems to change it’s preferred bite point everyday and as such ends up Kangaroo-ing off at lights or hills. My partner drives it and also finds the same. I would recommend this car for a first car, but I will NOT be buying another when the warranty runs out this year. I’m disappointed.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 49289

Martin, Lancashire

Vauxhall Corsa ecoflex 2008

Underpowered car with a very clattery diesel engine; have to keep radio on consantly or gives me headache, poor visibility; have to lean to the left when turning right just to see around bends, windscreen wipers knock on full speed, front screen demist takes ages to clear; started carrying a towel to wipe the windows it’s that slow! Gear box playing up when engaging 1st gear, poorly placed hazard warning button to close to radio controls, nightmare glare off the dashboard on the front screen especially in sunny weather. All in all bought this car to replace ageing Zafira based on lower tax £35 per year and smaller diesel engine. Really am sorry I bought this car beware with these newer Corsas they’re not as good as the older ones when you consider the one I own is just over 27 months old and already having problems with it especially the drop in fuel economy from 56mpg to 44mpg for no apparent reason.

Quick update, just as I thought this horrible little car couldn’t get any worse now. The brakes are squealing and on start-up, plumes of grey foul smelling smoke come bellowing from the exhaust. I’m going to have to get this sorted at Vauxhall Stockport while it’s still under warranty. Take heed, stay away from these nasty little cars :( - Martin Carey from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 49297

Adrian Martin, Scotland

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16V 5DR Design 2008

I bought my Corsa on the 23rd July ’10, so far I have had no major problems. When I test drove the car I noticed the brakes were grinding but was aware that this car had not gone in for the disks and pads refitting for the 2008 recall, as for fuel I get 220 miles for half tank and that’s driving round town. Have not done much motorway driving in it yet but would expect to get pretty close to the figures as diclosed for this car by Vauxhall, I reckon on a full tank motorway driving this car will do 450-480 miles.

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 49271

Tim Snow, Gwynedd

Vauxhall Corsa Diesel Ecoflex 2008

I had the 2008 Diesel Ecoflex as a driving instructors car for 1 year and it was absolutely fantastic. The fuel consumption was superb. The injectors needed replacing after about 35,000 miles, but apart from that pleasure to drive. Can’t speak highly enough about this sexy little car.

Submitted: 2010-07-18 | ID: 49269

Karen Brown, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Corsa life 2008

Bought mine in 2008, was happy for a bit, then the suspension springs went, took it back to the garage, they said it’d be repaired under warranty, but cost me £200 for labour??? Then in April this year, while driving home from work, the engine management light came on, pulled in, filled with water, sat for 15 mins, then started the engine, 5 mins later, the same again, had to get the thing towed home. Called the garage, which I did, at my own expense. Got a call about a week later, they said it’s my fault! I should never have driven it with the engine management light on, which I did not!! And now they say it’s the head gasket, and it isn’t cover by my extended warranty!! They just will not take me seriously. I need my car as I work 6 miles from home, which although it isn’t far, its a 2 bus ride journey, and because I’m a hairdresser, I can’t get out to do my customers hair at night. I will never own another Vauxhall in my life. Biggest mistake I ever made. My next door neighbour’s neice, had a ’56 mplate corsa as well, and it’s awful funny how the exact same thing has happened to hers!!! - Karen Brown from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 49221

Peader Toal, Norfolk

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI Design 5dr 2008

Worst decision of my life, awfull car to own and shockingly bad reliability. Never again am I buying a Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 49194

Sharon Curran, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Corsa 2008

It’s ok but acceleration is a bit poor.

Submitted: 2010-02-23 | ID: 49198

Mari Miller, Cambridgeshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Breeze 2008

I bought my 08 3 door Corsa Breeze brand new. It did take some time for engine to loosen up and is better now. Two years on I have a problem with the front anti roll bar links and it rumbles and rattles over bumpy roads. Getting fixed by Vauxhall dealer next week - I hope under warranty. I never really ’bonded’ with the car and don’t like the grab handles on the front seats. Nearly had my fingers off several times. Yes it’s got lots of toys but it’s sluggish up hills and takes time to get rolling. Wish I had gone for a 1.4. Looking to change the car once work done - thinking of going back to a Nissan or Mazda. A a little person I also find the car difficult to reserve park cos of the shape at the back.

Submitted: 2010-01-28 | ID: 49256

Sam, England

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 club 2008

First of all how can anyone moan at the performance when its only a 1.4 - its not going to be the fastest of cars ay. Overall I am happy with my Corsa, a few problems though; I seem to be getting a strange sound like a squeeking when driving on rough road surfaces and the brakes don’t seem to be as good as they should. Other than that I find the power ample (although it would be nice to have more) steering very sensitive and the quietness of the engine is astounding.

How does your engine sound on the motorway doing 70mph? I feel it sounds like im constantly reving lol and I want to get out and push it - Tracy May from England

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 49252

Patricia, Kent

Vauxhall Corsa 5dr 1.4 design 2008

My Car is 18 months old and has 10000 miles on the clock, with one service under its belt. So far I’ve had no other costs or problems. The pro’s are: good performance, economic fuel consumption, ample comfort, no rattles or squeeks, very good handling. The Cons are: engine needed 8000 miles to loosen up, windscreen and rear wiper controls can be confusing and it’s easy to kerb those nice alloys.

When you say ’loosen up’, what exactly do you mean? I’ve had mine 3 weeks, and the performance is shocking. I have never had to switch to 4th gear on a gentle hill on a motorway. Will it improve with time, or have I been duped into buying a car that should only be used for going to the shops and back? - Georgina Bray from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-11-03 | ID: 49246

Mel Baker, Devon

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Design 2008

Owned mine for 18 months now. I bought the 1.4 Design 5 door. (don’t like any oil burners!!!). Love it to bits and cannot find the time to drive it enough! I have cruise auto lights and wipers, electric sun roof and climate etal... get 44 to the gallon on a run. We have lots of hills in Devon ,so more power could be desired, but the low road tax was more important. If you put your foot down it will respond so I don’t know why a previous review had issues about joining the motorway???? As I am retired from work I don’t need to drive around like a lunatic, and it is nice to relax in an enjoyable car and watch all the idiots living on their nerves in case there is a tractor is around the next corner... because most cars wouldn’t stop in time but my Corsa would!!! Good build quality, I have no rattles, and can fit four adults and good amount of luggage in for weekends in Cornwall. Good car and I have owned and driven a lot over the years. I used to drive 20,000 per year as a rep so I could not tolerate a rubbish car!!! If you want a sensible car and don’t want the next class up then you could do worse than trying a Corsa.

Submitted: 2009-10-01 | ID: 49238

Natasha, Suffolk

Vauxhall Corsa 2008

The car was very nice to look at, great design and the interior was just as good. The stereo controls on the steering wheel was great and the ipod dock, although it took me a while to work out how to turn it onto ipod mode and wasn’t clear. The seat was very low even when you raised it i still found it to be quite low and being 5 ft 6in I still felt I was looking over the top of the steering wheel. The power on this car was a serious downside, it hated being in 4th gear and even in 3rd on hills it struggled to even hit 30 and if hills were attempted in 4th it would just come to a standstill. Overall it was a nice car but the power was irritating and I wouldn’t buy one myself.

Submitted: 2009-06-01 | ID: 49404

Max Chown, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Corsa 2008

This is my first and last Corsa; it’s the worst car I’ve ever had. Yes, on the outside looks nice and stylish but my god its a c**p car to drive. Mine has been into the garage 3 times for modified brake pads and still the same, it suffers from clutch judder and its suspension is very poor. My husband refuses to drive it because its a tinny, whinney useless pile of cheap metal.The sooner I get rid the better. Don’t waste your hard earned money.

I agree. I have a Corsa sxi and I’ve had the pads replaced 3 times, a new clutch and Vauxhall are not interested. What a waste of money - Mark Cornhill from England

I bought a 58 reg 1.2 life and had the same problems with the brakes. The car has had the clutch replaced after 4000 miles on the clock and still judders from cold. The worst car i have ever had - from Northumberland

Submitted: 2009-05-21 | ID: 49405

Templar Van-boek, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi 2008

This car can only be discribed as "s***". I bought the 05 plate Corsa 1.3 CDTi and the car was fantastic, the interior was just quality. I had it 3 years and then bought the 58 plate in 08 and what a 100 per cent let down, I think with the Corsa c Vauxhall packed everything they could into it and duped the public into thinking that the next model would be even better therefore getting rid of their new stock and making a mint on the disgustingly cheap and nasty made new model. OK yes I got duped and yes people will be saying that I had the chance to go for a test drive or to look round it but when I was shown the vehicle in Reg Vardy in Leeds. I was shown inside the CDTi model and was told that the only difference would be the engine as this time round I wanted the petrol engine to cut overheads due to fuel inflation. Finally all I can say is I’m looking forward to a new SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi which I’ve just recently put a deposit on and there will be no more Vauxhalls for me, I’m finished with this company. My 58 plate is now up for sale.

Submitted: 2009-04-09 | ID: 49412

Paul Hinchley, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Life 2008

This is the first brand new car that I have ever bought for myself, due to illness I have finally had to admit that I’m getting too knackered to go crawling under cars. The Corsa looks fantastic and I’m delighted with what I got for my money. It’s now done 650 miles, and so far so good. It’s comfortable to drive and good enough for going on a long run as long as you are not in a hurry. I find that I have to keep the revs a bit high on the hills and change down a gear sooner than I’m used to. Drivers visibility is an issue both through the tiny little front "portholes" and the rear pillars which are a little on the large size ( 3 door ). I want to service the car myself when it’s time but service information is minimal and warranty issues are a problem. Dealers seem to have the upper hand and service charges seem a bit on the expensive side for a very simple "oil change". Otherwise an excellent car.

Submitted: 2008-10-21 | ID: 49389

Greg Bond, Oxfordshire

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Life 2008

I chose the new Corsa as I thought it would cope well with the towns and cities. There have never been more than two people in the car at one time - this is for the best as the back seats do not look like they would provide much comfort for an adult - this is not a family car. Vauxhall claim that the 1.2 Life manages 48 miles to the gallon but I was not surprised to discover that this was in reality around the 42 mark - whos journey to work is on a rolling road and doesn’t involve stopping?). The limited space in the back is made up for with the large boot space. I paid extra for side-airbags as these do not come as standard - I feel that these really are must have safety feature. Reliability has so far been exemplary and there have been no extra, unexpected costs attached to my Corsa - this is exactly how it should be. I would recommend the Corsa to anybody looking for a great town / city run around that has good fuel economy and low maintenance and insurance costs.

I find the Corsa Life a fine little car to drive. I’ve done 3,000 miles so far, but it could do with a bit more power on the hills. - John Langcaster from Northumberland

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 49376

The latest Vauxhall Corsa) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)