2008 Yaris reviews

21 September 2014

2008 Toyota Yaris reviews

Toyota Yaris reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Read all reviews

Alec Ludlow, Kent

Toyota Yaris 2006 - 2011

My March 2010 Yaris never missed a heartbeat in 3 years of owning it. Problems, zero. Repair bills zero. Fuel consumption overall 55.4mpg.Had to sell it when I lost my job in France. I'm now back in the UK and am just about to pick up an almost identical Dec 2009 1.33 six speed manual. Reading the reports in the 2009 section has depressed me. Was there any huge change with the 2010 model year (apart from cosmetic)? Sounds like the 2009 cars were all abysmal if what I'm reading is correct!! I test drove my proposed purchase and did feel a bit like a novice with the gear changing - for all of five minutes! Yes the gate is quite close (move the gear lever gently let the detent springs do their job) and my first two gear changes were a little lumpy (get the clutch down far enough).As a former driving instructor I have to bite my tongue when I see people mis-timing their gear changes. Pulling at the gear level a fraction of a second before the clutch mechanism has had chance to disengage the gear is a common fault. Take your time changing gears, don't snatch and jerk. I never used any oil between services on my 2010 car. People are reporting that Toyota are saying a litre per 1,000 miles is reckoned to be normal for the 2009 model. Normal - my backside! Hey ho, I will wait and see how my latest Yaris performs. I'm trying to be positive, but a lot of folks on here are either unlucky with their cars, or can't drive them properly or the Yaris is a junk model.

Submitted: 2014-07-23 | ID: 100255

Raymond H Kershaw, Hampshire

Toyota Yaris TR 2008

Purchased this vehicle with 519 miles on the clock, at 3500 miles an amber warning light appeared on the instrument panel, on taking the car to the dealer I was advised it would need a new ABS Actuator Unit Assembly at a cost of some £1200. I thought it would be covered by the warranty but was told it was in fact some three weeks out of date. so not covered but after some heated discussion they agreed to pay half the cost. I have owned many TOYOTA vehicles over a 40 year period, but this one is not of the same quality.

Hi Raymond. Maybe the very problem is that the Yaris is built in France, and has been since 2001. I’ve just upgraded my ’99 model for a 2011 T Spirit, which I have to say I’m very pleased with SO FAR! I had heard that when France began production, they were encountering all kinds of problems, which I assumed had been dealt with. I don’t know if the Auris which is made at Burneston had any fewer problems. But whether the quality matches that of Toyota Japan is probably an open question. I’ve had people tell me that the Honda Civic was much better built and more reliable when is was made in Japan. I can only tell it as I see it. Up to now I am extremely happy with my purchase. Long may it continue I wish you better luck next time whatever you decide to buy - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2013-11-12 | ID: 48599

Nadia, London

Toyota Yaris D4D 2008

Further to my earlier post (June 28 2012) re a jerking gearbox, this turns out to be a very costly repair. It’s the clutch and flywheel causing the problem at a cost of £1000 plus VAT. If I take it to Toyota it will cost £1,800! I’ve also been told that this is a well known problem with the multi mode gearboxes and driving the car the way I do, the same problem will only occur again after about 20,000 miles. Apparently, my mechanics words, these gearboxes are only meant for people who drive at 30 miles per hour to and from shops, not for would be racing drivers like me, ha ha! I have decided to trade it in for a series-1 BMW, as it’s not worth spending the money to rectify something that is only going to occur again. Wish I’d never bought it. So if you’re thinking of buying one, DON’T!! Get a newer one with the new CVT gearbox.

Hope I am not too late with this word of caution about buying a BMW 1 series. I have an ’09 118d & whilst it is a beautiful drive & the local BMW dealer has been exceptional, there have been problems with the dual mass clutch. I cover a very low mileage &, in the 10500 miles covered in the warranty period, the car has had 2 new, reputedly modified clutches, both BMW’s decision. I am waiting with baited breath to see if the latest clutch does in fact last. The car is now out of warranty. Make sure there is no clutch judder, or baulking when trying to select reverse, or 1st gear when stationary. These were the problems that led to the replacement clutches mentioned above. Experts say the dual mass clutch does not like low rpm engagements & to keep revs at or above 1250 rpm when changing gear. This can make for a bit of clutch slipping in traffic unless you want to shunt the vehicle in front(!) & rather detracts from the abilities of the great diesel engine, loads of torque from low revs, easy acceleration. Fabulous cruising abilities, not good in ice & snow for the average driver, fairly hard ride, go for the smaller wheels, the low profile tyres on larger wheels may look pretty, but give a hard ride. - William Comley from England

Hi, can I make an offer to buy the Toyota Yaris 2008? As I am looking for a car to buy? Please get back to me ASAP! Call me on 07581073416, thank you - Lubna Khan from England

Hi Nadia. The problem you’re experiencing with your gearbox from what I’ve discovered is down to the oil that Toyota uses, not the gearbox itself. I read on this website that a 50:50 mix of Redline MT90 and Redline MTL may well cure your problem. Evidently you need to buy a 1 litre bottle of each. Hope this helps. - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2012-07-14 | ID: 48588

Nadia, London

Toyota Yaris D4D 2008

I bought this Yaris 2 years ago second hand. I bought it to replace an automatic A Class, which I was told not to hold on to for much longer as they are notorious for the gearbox failing. Seems I should have held onto it! I noticed a very distinct jerk as I pulled away when the car was cold either forward or in reverse, which became gradually worse. I’ve now noticed that when I put my foot down and try to build up speed quickly, it’s not smooth and feels like it’s struggling until it gets to 5th gear. I’ve taken into my local garage and they told me that the gearbox mount needed replacing and this might fix the problem. It didn’t, I actually suspect that the gearbox mount broke because of the jerking gearbox. I still have a problem with the acceleration, which I’m taking it in to be looked at again. The car performs much better once it has warmed up, but I can’t be expected to wait for 10 minutes before I drive off! If Toyota knew the gearbox was a problem, then it should have been recalled. I’m well out of my warranty now and hope that it’s either the clutch or an air sensor problem.

Hi. There is a newer gearbox program which sorts out all the jerks. Get Toyota to do a gearbox reprogram and it’s a different car. - It’s a waste of time/money not going to a main agent wi from Surrey.

Submitted: 2012-06-28 | ID: 48585

Gordon Stewart, Scotland

Toyota Yaris SR 2008

I’ve had none of the problems experienced by the other reviewer. The car is great to drive. I think he may just be unlucky. I still have mine after four years and I bought it from new. I knocked a star off the rating because I have noticed a bit of corrosion on the alloy wheels.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 48561

Nomthandazo Zwane, South Africa

Toyota Yaris 2008

I have had serious problems with this car. At first it was nice and smooth plus a fuel saver. However, I had to change the fan belt three times within one year, the air con pump is beyond repair and will cost me about R9,000 for a new one, the brake pads are making a noise and even if they are changed the noise returns within a few days. All my life I have been driving Toyota cars, but no, no, no! I will not recommended it to anyone.

Submitted: 2012-02-06 | ID: 48560

Kyle Woodbury, Surrey

Toyota Yaris SR 1.4 Diesel Manual 2008

Had this car from new and it hasn’t let me down once. The built in sat-nav is great along with loads of other gadgets. Highly recommend. <br />

Well done Kyle...Yay! - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 48552

Dan, England

Toyota Yaris 1.3 MMT 2008

I bought a 2008 semi-automatic petrol (MMT) having learnt in a diesel MMT Yaris and was quite impressed with the smoothness of the gear changes. During the test drive, it performed as expected, but perhaps I should have tried it in more stop-start traffic as the first few days of driving it in the city revealed very jerky starts and jerky gear shifts (from 1st to 2nd). I should have returned it to the dealer then, but I misguidedly persisted with the MMT gearbox, trying all sorts of elaborate ways to make it as smooth as possible (eg driving barefoot so that I could apply just the right amount of pressure to minimise jerking). It is also very scary to drive this car when entering roundabouts and pulling out of junctions as it jerks violently and accelerates very slowly, resulting in several near misses and irrate drivers. This car is awful when driving up a steep incline, it hunts for gears and labours wearily, leaving you to hope and pray you make it up. Looking on various forums and owner review sites made me realise this was a very common problem with the MMT. I finally part-exchanged it for a 2006 Corolla with conventional auto gearbox. So to anyone considering any car with the MMT gearbox, DON’T. I can’t emphasise this strongly enough. There are some people out there who insist the problem is with one’s driving style and one just needs to adapt to it. But even Toyota dealers know of the issues with the MMT gearbox. Anyway, glad to hear that Toyota have finally ditched the MMT and the new 2012 Yaris comes with CVT. Maybe customer feedback does mean something after all.

We also have a semi-automatic Yaris. It has 50,000 km and is on the 3rd clutch. Every so often, it starts to jerk when pulling away and seems to stick in low gears. I take it in to our very good service agent and they adjust the clutch setting (15 euros) the clutches were replaced on warranty but I would rather not have had the problem. I am now looking for tips on driving this particular semi-automatic box, but do not think it is our technique - Philip Vassallo from Greece

Submitted: 2011-09-20 | ID: 48550

Geoff Smith, Lancashire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 cc petrol 2008

My Yaris has got problems with a clonking noise coming out of the bell housing every time I let the clutch out. Very annoying I must say. It has been back to the garage 4 times now, but they say that this is normal for this car. I bet that a new one would not make this noise. I am not happy. Watch out for gearbox problems too.

Geoff, the "clonk" is the switch that enables the car to start. Before the ignition will work, the clutch must be depressed - That switch. I searched for the source of the sound too and determined that was the noise - Bruce Isbister from New Zealand

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 48544

Dan Suckling, Dumbartonshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 Petrol 2008

Bought car with 14000 miles on clock when two years old. After nine years and a further 145,000 miles we have had our first major problem. The Diff bearings in the gearbox have started to become noisy. Have been told it needs a new/replacement gearbox. Have just replaced car with another Yaris. 1.3 Petrol less than three years old. Am surprised at the number of people who have had gearbox problems although these seem to be on the multi mode box. We were very happy to buy another Yaris due to superb reliability of first car.

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 48495

Raymond John, Caerphilly

Toyota Yaris 1.3 tr 2008

Well pleased with my purchase of 6 months handling good, not a bad ride for size of car, petrol returns about 42mpg driving around cardiff. I do find gears notchy until engine warms up then ok. Also engine appears to be working very hard at 70mph. I think the build of the car is good, waiting to see what the new model Yaris brings in September 2011.

Submitted: 2011-03-27 | ID: 48501

S Sharpe, Hampshire

Toyota Yaris SR 2008

I’m an ex-Yaris owner, bought a gorgeous looking red 08 SR which was 18 months old, with 11k on the clock from a car supermarket, replacing a trusty but ancient Fiat Punto. This was based on reading lots of magazine and internet tests, but not, alas, user reviews. Plus we all know how reliable Toyotas are meant to be. Big mistake was not giving it a long enough road test, having been seduced by the shiny paint and stunning visual condition. The fact that it had obviously been part exchanged after only 18 months should’ve given me a hint! The many problems made driving and owning a misery, so it was part exed for a new Citroen after 8 months, I lost about £2500 in the process. Faults - most of the ones already listed on this site. Gearbox was awful, always crunched going into second irrespective of technique, dealer said there was no fault. Engine was noisy and seemed to be working very hard, plus it wasn’t particularly economical, even when driven sympathetically. For a supposedly sporty SR model the performance was disappointing when pushed. Brakes were awful, either on or off, smooth driving was very difficult to achieve, dealer said that was normal for the type (and the Aygo, he admitted). The accelerator fault recall was annoying, but that’s life. The dash was rather flimsy and a bit rattley, didn’t seem very sturdy. The ride was poor, probably down to the low profile tyres I guess, note to self - don’t buy another car with those fitted. The car would stall at lights, certainly not down to my driving, doesn’t happen with my other cars, engine didn’t seem to have much inertia. The inbuilt satnav (Tom Tom) was over complex and fiddly to use. The local main Toyota dealer was unsympathetic to my complaints, always fobbed me off and treated me like an annoyance. In the end both myself and my wife got to hate the thing with a passion so it had to go. The car seemed to be underdeveloped, far too many faults got through to production. Friends tell me that earlier models of Yaris they owned had been excellent, this latest one is a real lemon. If you must buy one I urge you to do a long road test first, I didn’t and paid for it dearly. Also take what the professional revewers write with a pinch of salt. Lesson learnt for the future.

Clearly whoever had the car to begin with hadn’t looked after it. Either that or this is yet another example of the "Let’s bash Toyota" finding fault for the sake of finding fault attitiude again. Drive it properly and take care of it and there shouldn’t be a problem! - Hacked Off from England

Submitted: 2011-03-20 | ID: 48502

Brian Robinson, Spain

Toyota Yaris D4D 5door hatch 2008

I bought this car mainly for its economy, and small enough for my wife to use, to date this has not let us down, we travel all over europe and fuel economy is wonderful, brake pads changed at 55000 miles front tyres at 40000, we had all the recalls done but we would never have known if Toyota had not contacted us, only two minor gripes, not so stable with cross winds and the passenger front seat does not fold flat, to take long items.

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 48519

Stephen Chamberlain, Cardiff

Toyota Yaris 1000cc T2 2008

I have owned a two year old yaris with average milegae for a little over a month. I have just left it in North Wales as the clutch gave out so was unable to travel home. I left it with the dealer and checked the web to see if any other owners experience problems. To my surprise - they do!. To be fair, the criticisms of the trim of the yaris are a bit harsh. For a small car, its roomy, cheap to run (normally) and drives as you would expect. I wouldn’t pay £9,000 for a new one, but £5,000 for a two year old seems OK. My only concern is the clutch which after two years motoring should not have failed. It wasn’t slipping or burning, it just decided to go very spongy and stopped allowing me to change gear. More inconvenient than anything. I Trust that Toyota will live up to the warranty. The dealership I ended up with seemed not surprised that the problem was down to ’component failure’. We will see. A clutch every two years is not an option!

Submitted: 2010-11-24 | ID: 48524

aleksandar, Serbia

Toyota Yaris 2008

JAPANESE BUILD Yaris 1999 1.0 petrol - small, bulletproof car, 158000km of city driving mostly, absolutely no issues at all. Only one light bulb changed in last 11 years. Perfect 5 stars. <br /><br />MADE IN FRANCE yaris 2007 1.3 33000km - urban fuel consumption a bit high 8l per 100km.130-140kmh at freeway-6l per 100km-perfect. no issues except a bit hard clutch pedal and noisy windshield wiper. Both headlights died but replaced in warranty.and my big mistake-black colour-although it looks very nice after car wash. 4 stars <br /><br />MADE IN FRANCE yaris 2008 1.0 petrol - great fuel economy at 90km/h,140km/h and city driving.6-6.5 l per 100km. The bad; aircon died an 15000km, clutch set changed at 38000.exhaust changed also. 3 stars because of warranty, otherwise would never buy Toyota again, that really sucks even if in warranty

Submitted: 2010-06-07 | ID: 48397

Stephen Curtis, Gloucestershire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 TR 2008

I have had the 1.3 Yaris just over 18 months, apart from the throttle recall it has only required routine servicing. My previous vehicle was a BMW MINI, it was with great relief to move over to a car that was no longer the source of a poor driving position and backache! Yes, the Yaris is a bit ’bouncy’, but only on some of the poor quality roads in this part of Gloucestershire. The fuel economy is excellent and I often obtain mid 50’s mpg. Comfortable, solid controls, nice gear change and good brakes makes the car a pleasure to drive. There is nothing else on the market I feel could remotely surpass the Yaris. Being a Toyota, it’s nigh on bullet-proof, will hold its value well and start first time, every time. If you want a car that has more ’image’, handles better etc.... there are plenty around. But for the price/package the Yaris takes a lot of beating as a sound, common-sense car for every-day motoring.

Submitted: 2010-05-13 | ID: 48384

Pete, England

Toyota Yaris TR 2008

I’ve had NO problems with my car since I got it about 2 years ago. I’ve had other Toyotas too. I am very pleased with the high level of customer service of Toyota and high quality of car. There is nothing wrong with Toyota. It is the best make of car. I have had plenty of other brands but always came back to Toyota and NEVER had any problem with any of my Toyotas. I had a Ford Fiesta one time and sparks flew out from the pedals. It was a fire risk and Ford are still making cars with fire risk recalls, mine was years ago, 1980’s to early 1990’s.

Hi Pete, we are an independent market research agency and currently working on behalf of Toyota. We are looking to arrange an interview with a man aged 28 - 44, who owns a Yaris no more than 3 years old. If you live around the Surrey area and would like to take part in this research, which will take the form of a 90 minute face to interview at your home, you will receive £50 as a thank you. May I take this opportunity of assuring you that we abide by The Market Research Society Code of Conduct and that your participation will not result directly or indirectly in any form of selling. Kind regards, Louise Fernandez For and on behalf of Field Initiatives 020 8216 5652 - Louise Fernandez from England

Submitted: 2010-03-26 | ID: 48356

Janice, London

Toyota Yaris 1.3 sr 2008

I bought this car with 10K on the clock from a main dealer a month ago. I am having a lot of trouble with the clutch juddering and it seems to vary. I also cannot get used to the brakes, they seem to be either on or off and the gear box is very difficult especially when cold, I cannot get into first gear and second gear is very hard. I am worried that the reports about quality are true. I have had Toyotas before but this is the worst one and I wish I had not bought it. Knowing what I know now I would no longer recommend Toyotas.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 48372

Pat, Sussex

Toyota Yaris SR 1.3 2008

I absolutely agree with all the negative comments here, I think the Yaris is probably the worst car on the road and is certainly over rated by anyone who likes it. It is about time Toyota listened to the numerous problems and dealt with them instead of denying there are problems. I thought my Yaris was going to be nice to own but instead I wish I had never even set eyes on it. Also in response to a previous comment it definitely is too high for its width....what was I thinking of when I bought it. A truly dreadful car on nearly every point, do not buy a Yaris....Simples!<br />

Pat, I have to disagree with you. The WORST car on the road is a Chevrolet. I had a Chevrolet Matiz and it was a heap of dirt, it was brand new but I only kept it for a year, then I got rid of it and got another Yaris. It was a good choice, I am now 100% happy with my Yaris. I will always be sticking with Toyotas as I like to drive a good quality car - from London

Driven properly and serviced according to the maker’s specification, Toyota is one of best manufacturers in the world. The bosses of the company don’t get together and say "Right lads, what heap of junk can we build today and foist on the gullible public" Round here where I live there are any amount of Toyotas being driven, many of which are Yarises. You can bet your boots that wouldn’t be the case if they were "the worst cars on the road" as you claim. I have a 2011 T Spirit. It is an absolutely superb machine. I’ve never known a website like this that rubbishes excellent cars...Get a life! - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2010-02-17 | ID: 48373

Margaret, Essex

Toyota Yaris 2008

I wish I had read these reports before I bought my Yaris, it has been a total mess from the day I bought it. Everything I have read I can relate to and now they are recalling so many cars because of the accelerator sticking makes me wonder what else could go wrong. I should have stuck with my reliable Clio, never had any issues with it apart from wear and tear. People need a reality check, Toyotas are no longer what they used to be. Do not buy a Toyota Yaris if you want a car that is good to drive and own.

You don’t know as much as you think about recalls, Ford had a bigger recall recently. Every brand that was ever made has had recalls. So you like Renault, so you think they never had a recall? - from England

Congratulations! You found a reliable Renault?! - Steve Den from England

Here we go again! I don’t accept for one moment that all these negative reviews are down to bad workmanship. there’s no such thing as bad cars today. It’s bad drivers and lack of proper maintenance that’s at the heart of this issue. A bad workman blames his tools and always has, and probably always will. - Hacked Off from England

Submitted: 2010-02-04 | ID: 48365

Paul Cambridge, Essex

Toyota Yaris TR 2008

I could not disagree more with Alex E of Oxfordshire about the Toyota Yaris. Having owned a few Toyotas in the past and been very pleased with them, driving about 200K a year I have never been so disgusted by any other make of car since having the Yaris...and I have driven just about every make and model there is. What has happened to the quality of build and materials? The brakes and clutch are terrible, it is near impossible to make a smooth gear change in the lowest gears and the brakes are dangerously snatchy and what is that roaring noise? It sounds like the pads are covered in rust. Why can I hear the gear linkage clonking? I have a Yaris 1.3 which is 2 years old and it is full of rattles, the engine is weak and makes odd noises especially when cold. The ride is wobbly and the car seems to bounce over the slightest uneven surfaces. The boot and rear seats may be adjustable but the rear shelf kind of just sits there, there is no proper fixing. The internal plastics seem to scuff very easily. The pedals all seem far too high, on long journeys I find my ankles ache as I am having to hold my feet up. There is nothing nice about this car unless you are deaf, dumb and blind. I am glad that reading other posts, I am not the only person who thinks the Yaris is a complete LEMON. The quicker I get rid of it the better. If anyone things the Toyota Yaris is a good car, THINK AGAIN!

Paul, you said if anyone thinks the Yaris is a good car should think again. I took your advice and after ’thinking again’ I still find that that my LOVELY Yaris is the perfect car, it never gives me any problem. The Toyotas I had before were high quality as is the one I have now. My brakes and clutch are perfect, I always have a smooth gear change. My brakes are never scratchy. I have no roaring noise or clonking in my car. My Yaris is the same age as yours but no problems. It has no rattles, the engine is fine and it makes no odd noises. It is never bumpy. There is a proper fixing for the rear shelf. The internal plastics do not scuff at all. The pedals not too high, try adjsuting your seat. Everything is nice , (in fact fantastic )about this car and I am not deaf, dumb or blind. My next car WILL be a TOYOTA YARIS! - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 48416

N Varma, Middlesex

Toyota Yaris 2008

I have been a driving instructor for the past 25 years and as such my clutch work is very good, therefore my clutches last a long time. However, since purchasing my Yaris I have had the clutch burn out at only 27,000 miles. The new clutch then began to emit a burning smell after 3 days so I took it back to the garage for an inspection, only to be told that the smell was merely the smell of the old burnt out clutch lingering and that it would eventually go away. Now, just 2 weeks since the new clutch was fitted I can once again smell burning and the car has had to go back into the garage again, which is obviously seriously disrupting my work. I had been recommending the Yaris to pupils and anyone else I spoke to who was already considering buying one, however, I am now completely put off the car. Even Nissans have better performance in their clutches! Has anyone else had a problem with their clutch? I have been reading a lot of reviews complaining about the Yaris’ gear-box, which I think could be related to the clutch.

You only need to read through all the reviews to get the picture regarding gearbox/clutch issues. I have rejected my car and am waiting for Toyota to respond, after a year trying to get used to it and umpteen trips and weeks in the garage. Simply the worst car I have ever owned or driven. I am totally at a loss to see how it was possible for the Yaris to get a good reputation and I don’t understand the people on this forum who praise it. The only thing is hasn’t actually done is break down but neither did my 9 year old Clio 1.6 16v in the 9 years I owned it and it was a joy to drive and did everything it should have, I can’t say the same for the Yaris 1.3 - from Bedfordshire

Almost 20/30% of new manual 6 speed Yaris’ have gearbox troubles. Toyota knows this perfectly but doesn’t lift a finger to repair this drama-comic situation. If Toyota is still, even if I doubt, a serious car brand factory they should recall & repair for free all gearbox troubled cars; however, I think this will remain a dream. Right now Toyota is one of the less reliable car brands in Europe. I had a test drive with the new Mito (Alfa) & it is another Galaxy - from Northern Ireland

We must be in the lucky 70% as our new 1.33 manual 6-speed Yaris has no gearbox quirks at all. Easy when oil is cold (all this week!) and smooth into every gear. In fact a much smoother gear change than my Audi (but that’s another story). I do find the clutch biting point a little difficult to feel compared to a faithful old Mazda, ie it’s easy to stall(so is the Audi). Overall we are very pleased indeed with the way it drives, hope the Toyota reliability reputation was translaled into French for the people who built the car. I had a new Renault once and vowed never never again to buy a French car - John Milnes from England

Having worked for Toyota for over 12 years and seeing learner car Yaris’s doing well over 100k on 1 clutch they don’t have a clutch wear problem and the fact your new clutch is smelling of burning (which is overheating) so soon I would suggest you get your dual controls checked for dragging your clutch pedal or slightly holding the brake pedal on? - from Lancashire

I am a very good driver of standard vehicles. This is not my first time driving a stick, but this is my first time with clutch problems. My clutch burned out this morning, after I smelled a burning smell while driving a few days ago. I think there is definitely a problem with the clutch and Yaris. The dealer is charging me $1088.00 to get materials and install new clutch. I was told that the labor costs $700 alone! - Andra Rivers-Jones from United States of America

It’s not the clutch. It’s the incompetent dealer service. Clearly the adjustment is such that it is slipping hence burning smell. My guess would be that was your first clutch problem as well. I had a service here. The handbrake was cinched up so tight that the brakes dragged and stunk. Ditto clutch smell. Adjusted both and zero further problem. I regularly take it into the mountain passes here which means a real workout for brakes and clutch. Zero problems when properly adjusted - Bruce Isbister from New Zealand

Submitted: 2009-11-03 | ID: 48423

Tilly, England

Toyota Yaris MMT 2008

Great car! I love the MMT! I have read a lot of bad reports about MMT function but really can not fault it!

Submitted: 2009-11-02 | ID: 48430

Pete, Bedfordshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR 2008

In response to Peter Walsh, I have just got my car back from the dealer after 2 weeks. I had rejected it but was advised by my legal team to give the dealer one more try. They say they have replaced some parts in the gearbox linkage and it does seem slightly better but still not what I call a good car to drive. The brakes are still dreadful, the clutch still judders but they tell me they are all the same even though the courtesy car I just had for 2 weeks was better to drive, though same engine and gearbox. I will be rejecting my car again. I cannot understand how people can like these cars. If I were you I would reject your car, if you have any of the mechanical problems mentioned on this forum, it seems that Toyota just cannot put the problems right.

Submitted: 2009-10-01 | ID: 48441

Tricia, Surrey

Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR 2008

I have been a driving instructor for 30 years and go through cars quite quickly. I have had many makes and the last year had a Yaris 1.3 original shape. It was ok though the gearbox was very clonky and car generally noisy. I traded it in the 2008 SR and I have to agree with the points made about the gearbox, clutch and brakes on the new Yaris, yes what a truly awful car in just about every aspect. I have had a few courtesy cars on the various visits to the helpful but incapable Toyota dealer and they were just as bad to varying degrees. Please trust me, I know the difference between a good car and a bad car when it comes to driving. The Corsa, Clio and Mini I have had were far superior to this very disappointing offering from what used to be a competent manufacturer. Will not be buying another Toyota for the foreseeable future. The Clio was the best car to drive and was very reliable contrary to popular myth. However, the dealers seem unhelpful at times. Mix Renault with Toyota and you may have a better result.

I had a Clio and it was the worst car I ever had, so when I got rid of it I got another Toyota. I had Corollas before and Yaris before and they were very good cars, so I got another Yaris this time and it is great too. I could not find any fault with it even if I tried - from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 48476

Griffith Arfon Hughes, Wrexham

Toyota Yaris TR Diesel 2008

I purchased my Toyota Yaris TR Diesel in July 2008. Since then I have noticed that the front wheel tyres are wearing on one side as though the tracking is constantly at fault. However, the tracking has been checked and I was informed by the garage that this is a fault with the Yaris. As with all my previous cars I would expect at least 20000 miles from the tyres but in the light of this problem I doubt whether I will get 8000 miles from the tyres. This of course, needless to say, is totally unacceptable. I would be interested to hear if other Yaris owners have experienced similar problems.

With regards to the tyres wearing on one side, I have had the same thing happen with my Yaris D4D 2007. It went in for the 2nd year service at 20k miles and the report showed 'inner edge 2.5 mm outer edge 1mm wear.' Not very impressed as the car has only covered 6200 miles, surely this must be wrong? I was told to keep an eye on the problem!? - John Westover from England

As a follow up to my previous comments; I took the car to a local tyre shop, where they checked the tracking (no charge) and informed me it was "well out." I am going to ring the main dealer on monday as I am not happy that, whilst the service was being carried out, they did nothing to check WHY the front tyres were wearing out - John Westover from England

Submitted: 2009-07-27 | ID: 48657

Raymond Pomroy, England

Toyota Yaris TR 2008

This is my eleventh new Toyota having previously owned 6 Corolla’s, 1 Avensis, 2 Starlets and now 2 Yaris’s. I use these as fleet cars covering up to 35000 miles per year. All cars have been totally trouble free until sold at around 135000 miles. My 05 Yaris 1ltr blue was no exception have covered 57000 in 2.5 years - needed no recalls or repairs. The only annoyance was engaging reverse from a standstill. The 08 Yaris TR is even better faster, roomier and trouble free at the current 38000 miles. 46 to a gallon. 1 minor comment: the rear bumper plastic mounts have proved a bit flimsy as a car park knock has left bits of broken plastic on the tarmac. Buy another? Yes, for the job this is used for, for myself, no I prefer my BMW 330 Sport and Porsche 911.

Of course a BMW 330 and a Porsche do compare pretty much directly to a Toyota Yaris... - from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-07-27 | ID: 48655

Dave, Hertfordshire

Toyota Yaris SR 1.3 2008

Had this car a year, nothing good to say about it at all, OK... you can get out of it! How anyone in their right mind can say it is a good car astonishes me. Over rated by people who do not know what a good car is like to drive. Gearbox, clutch, brakes all dreadful beyond words, and that is just the start. The only thing it has not yet done is break down but it feels like it will do soon. If you have any sense DO NOT BUY! Go for a Ford, Vauxhall, VW, Mazda, Renault, Honda... FORGET TOYOTA if you know what is good for you!

I’m afraid much of the problem has to do with how cars are driven and looked after generally. Watching some of the wallies drive around my town, I’m surprised the vehicles are still running. You have brainless morons with their windows wound right down, "music" turned right up. They can be heard streets away. They can’t hear the sound of the engine, which is primarily how the car communicates with the driver. These obnoxious people don’t care who they offend as long as they’re all right. Consequently when a problem does arise, they’re completely unaware of it and have the audacity to insult the maufacturer and call the car a heap of junk. Another bunch are those who never ever lift the bonnet to check the oil, rad bottle, screenwash and clutch/brake fluid..Duh!. As for getting the car serviced regularly or properly... forget it. If it rested with me all such people would be removed from our roads permanently - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-07-16 | ID: 48667

Les Ryan, Yorkshire

Toyota Yaris 2008

I bought my Yaris in september 2008 and am really pleased with it - or was! An annoying squeak which has driven me mad since purchase and which when I asked about it turns out to be a fault that cannot be remedied! It appears to be something to do with the air con and appears at 3000 revs (about 40 miles an hour). This means that it is there most of the time ! Given that Toyota knew about it why did they not tell me! recall would have been a good idea.The excuse was that only some models have this! anyone else noticed this?

I found there was a whistling noise, it turned out to be the gap in the drivers door mirror. Filled it with rubber compound - Jules Hunt from England

Submitted: 2009-07-10 | ID: 48662

Mark, England

Toyota Yaris 1.3 Petrol 5-speed Manual 2008

I bought a 1.3 petrol Yaris about 1 year ago. 5-speed manual. We have done about 11000 miles in it so far in Christchurch, New Zealand (similar conditions to England). No problems at all with the car, except for a bit of free play on the clutch pedal (not worth fixing). The clutch doesn’t judder and no problems with the gearbox, easy to engage all gears. Toyota dealer in Christchurch has been very good, although I haven’t needed them to actually fix anything. We use the car for round-town family transport for a family of 4, although we live about 3 miles out of town so it gets driven at 65mph each time we go out. For the size of car there is a lot of space, especially in the back with the rear seats back. This is how we leave the car all the time. Boot space is very small but will fit the kids school bags or some groceries. This model is only sold with 1.3 or 1.5 petrol engine in New Zealand (with limited run of the 1.8 sports model). The 1.3 petrol is OK, with powerband between 3000 and 6,000 rpm. It’s actually OK for overtaking on open road as long as you shift down to 3rd and keep the revs up. Below 3000rpm there isn’t much torque but the engine is smooth and OK for driving quietly around town below 3000 rpm. Despite some earlier comments here, handling is relatively good compared to other small cars and ride is quite good, overall a good compromise IMO. A sports car it ain’t, but if you want a shopping trolley or economic small family car that still has some room, I’ve found it to be quite good.

Submitted: 2009-06-30 | ID: 48654

Anon, England

Toyota Yaris 1.3TR 2008

Dreadful in almost every respect. Has a fair degree of space but can’t be regarded as a true four seater as the boot is so poor. Bodywork OK but inconsistent shut lines and paint below average. Ridiculous ride and handling compromise, it has taken real skill to build something that handles so badly and yet rides so poorly too. Extremely poor seats with little adjustment. Noisy and unrefined engine delivers very little in the way of performance and yet is thirsty. Really poor gear change and snatchy clutch. Not particularly reliable and dealers rarely deliver a first time fix or anything notable in the way of service. Would not recommend.

Did you actually take the trouble to test drive the car and give it the once over before you bought it? It looks to me that you are finding fault with it for the sake of finding fault. Mine has given me no trouble at all and is a truly excellent car. Get a life! - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-05-11 | ID: 48651

Anon, England

Toyota Yaris 2008

I’ve replaced my ’54 reg. Yaris diesel manual with an ’09 reg. Yaris diesel MMT (auto with 6 gears). I’m very pleased with the vehicle and gearbox. I read the reports here and so was unsure whether the MMT was a good idea. However, it works well with the diesel engine. The gearbox can still be used as a manual and I find this necessary for overtaking. Otherwise the auto mode makes life very easy.

Submitted: 2009-05-08 | ID: 48653

Gerry Nimmo, Wiltshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3TR 2008

Shocking little car, a triumph of hype over ability. Badly thought out and badly designed, noisy engine needs to be thrashed to keep up with traffic and then burns enormous amounts of fuel and oil. Badly designed interior and acres of cheap plastic lead to creaks and rattles from new. Poor load space, sliding rear seat means minuscule boot and some rear leg room or no leg room and small boot! Gearbox poor, snatchy clutch now so commonplace it is regarded by Toyota dealers as a feature. And a great urban myth is that Toyota dealers care in any way for customers. They don’t - in any way whatsoever! Avoid - there are many many better small cars and almost all cost less.

I keep reading many negative comments regarding Toyota and the Yaris. I have never had any problems with mine. The first was a T reg ’99 model. Fantastic little car. It had 21000 plus miles when I bought it in 2003. I sold it a month ago to my brother, it’s done almost 100,000 and still going strong. I then bought a 2011 T Spirit. I have to say there isn’t one thing I dislike about it. It came with tons of equipment I wasn’t even expecting. It was the colour I wanted, the age I wanted and all at a very affordable price. Toyota didn’t become the global company it is by producing rubbish. Much of the problems are down to how people drive. I see it around me all the time. One of the problems is that people either don’t get their cars serviced properly, or they may go for years without bothering at all. Many people don’t even bother to lift the bonnet to check the oil and water. They don’t even check their tyres for weeks, then when the car breaks down it is a heap of junk. I get my car serviced by my local Toyota dealer, and I get it done at the specified time. People should try it occasionally. - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-05-06 | ID: 48689

Jack Blease, Aberdeenshire

Toyota Yaris Yaris TR 1.3 2008

Bought car with 2800 miles and wondered why a private owner would sell so quickly. Perhaps the gearbox. This one has all the clutch / gearbox faults already mentioned PLUS it touches another gear when entering fifth gear. If rolling back on a slight incline in first the gear locks & the only way to release it is to drive forwards a little.Toyota dealer in Aberdeen has replaced clutch & gearbox parts & after contacting Toyota they have agreed there is a problem which they are working on. A good car spoiled. I hope they do something soon.

After umpteen visits to Aberdeen agents, who have been very good, they on my persistance have checked out the clutch settings e.g. grip points etc., and the car is now better but still graunchy on selecting 1st and still jamming in first and reverse if you let the car’s weight roll it still in gear with the clutch fully depressed. I have not heard of anyone else with this problem? - Jack Blease from Aberdeenshire

Hi Jack. If there are endless problems with the Yaris I’m inclined to think that it’s because Toyota manufacture it in France now instead of Japan. That’s all I can put this down to. - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-04-29 | ID: 48686

David Chorlton, Cumberland

Toyota Yaris 1.3TR 2008

As I said in my earlier post we would try and get another SR when the facelift model came out, however now having seen one, they don’t have the 16" wheels and don’t look as good so we went for the slightly cheaper TR model to replace our older colour collection. Jim Walton in Penrith had a ex demo that had been in his showroom since January that had very low mileage and looked like brand new. We got a very good trade in price so a deal was quickly made, a roof spoiler fitted and we now have the SR and TR in our lane. So far it seems fine, as good as the SR in every respect except for the gear change. It feels like it stirring porridge and nearly always crunches going from first to second. maybe its newness and needs time to settle in. Maybe its the way we both drive it, seems odd when the SR doesn’t do it, however another great little car and if the problem persists then I’m sure Jim Walton will soon sort it out for us. Just for the record we only lost £3000 on the older car that we part-exchanged in - in over three and a half years. They really do hold their value well.

Just a quick update to our first report on our Yaris TR and its gearbox problems (20/4/2009). I got back in touch with our dealer (Jim Walton in Penrith) shortly after we had taken delivery and told them of the problems we were having - ie, crunching from 1st to 2nd. James in the service department told me he had not heard of any such problems but would look into it and let me know but for now just put up with it until he could sort out a solution. A few months went by and then one morning he rang to say that Toyota had sorted the problem and that it would be fixed. After a three hour visit and new gear selector shafts all is well. I don’t think there is a general recall but just go and see your dealer. No problem at all now - David Chorlton from Cumberland

Further to my earlier reports on 16/01/2009 and 20/04/2009, both cars have been recalled for the accelerator fix although we have had no problem at all. Both cars were booked into Jim Walton in Penrith, the work took about an hour and included full safety checks, valet and washed off. They even topped up the engine oil in my SR. Both were ready and gleaming when we called back for them. Top marks to Toyota for the prompt action and to Jim Walton and staff - David Chorlton from Cumberland

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 48683

Debbie Drury, Yorkshire

Toyota Yaris 2008

Absolutely love the car, except for the gear box. I am having difficulty with 3rd and 4th gears. The problem is intermittent and tends to happen when the car has warmed up. Sometimes I can’t get it in 3rd gear and have to quickly put it into 2nd and 4th gear is very notchy and you think it’s in 4th but there’s one notch to go. I have only done 1000 miles so far. I thought it was my driving that was the problem until I started to research and found all the other complaints. I have taken it back to the dealers twice and each time they have said that they cannot find anything wrong. I am so disappointed and it has totally taken the enjoyment out of having a new car away. I prefer to drive my son’s X reg Clio and now wish that I’d spent £1000 on a car instead of £10,000!

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 48681

Pete, Bedfordshire

Toyota Yaris 1.4 SR Petrol 2008

I absolutely despair! Having had to upgrade from my awful brand new Aygo for many reasons and because I was on a finance deal, I can honestly say how completely disappointed I am with my Yaris SR. From new the gears have been difficult, 1st and reverse mainly. I get water running down the inside of the windscreen in cold weather. The engine is not that quiet and doesn’t start very well, though so far it has always started. The handling in the recent snowy weather was terrible and I found it difficult to get grip on even a slight incline. The brakes have been making a roaring noise just like normal car brakes make when rust builds up on the discs but the dealer says this is normal!!! The car was in my main dealers for a week while they tried to diagnose all the problems. They changed the clutch which is no better, the gearbox now crunches every time I go into 2nd gear in the morning despite the dealer changing the oil to a thinner special oil. They did fix the engine squeak by replacing the belts... it has only done 3500 miles! If I could sell the car or get my money back I would. I just cannot understand how Toyota has every got its reputation for good cars. I want my Renault Clio 1.6 back, at least if worked and when parts were replaced, it still worked! And it never broke down or failed to start. There are many other faults with the Yaris but there is simply not enough room here to list them. The dealer has tried hard but Toyota have failed even harder. I will never buy another Toyota and can’t believe the people who love them... doesn’t make sense. Sorry, but having had 2 Toyota’s in less than 4 months, I give up hope. If I could give it NO stars I would but this site doesn’t allow such a low rating.

The water running down the windscreen is called condensation. Most cars probably suffer from this from time to time, since it’s a law of physics. If I trusted any manufacturer to work out a way to defy the laws of physics, it certainly wouldn’t be Renault. I know this because I own a Clio and mine does it from time to time - from England

Are you driving it properly and having it serviced properly at the specified times? Many people don’t do either. I despair! - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 48692

David Halliwell, Lancashire

Toyota Yaris 1.8 SR 2008

Good fast small car, no problems yet.

Submitted: 2009-01-30 | ID: 48680

David Chorlton, Cumberland

Toyota Yaris SR 1.4D 3dr 2008

This is the second Yaris in our household, the other being a 2005 1.3 colour collection. This one has been totally fault free in the four years we have had it. The SR 1.4D had a paint defect on it when we collected it brand new in October 2008 from Jim Walton’s in Penrith that we didn’t notice until the following day but it was quickly put right by having the front wing resprayed. Not the best of starts after a twelve week wait. However, it is a brilliant little car that is a very good all-rounder, fairly nippy and very good on fuel. Don’t believe the computer but check your mileage each time you fill up, ours is doing around 68 mpg on decent A roads. Also use decent diesel, not the supermarket rubbish, its makes the engine far quieter and smoother. The only real complaint we have is the way the boot is set up, throw out the false floor and secret compartments, wrap your wheel brace in a towel and stow it with the spare wheel and you have a boot you can use. With regard to the sat nav problems others have experienced all I can say is ours has been fine, CD player, radio and mobile phone are all good. To finish, we like the car so much that we tried to exchange our older one for another but all the SR’s have now gone or so our dealer tells me. Perhaps when the facelift model comes out next month we will try again, £35 road tax £120 insurance and 68 mpg. GO AND GET ONE!!

Our SR 1.4D is now just over a year old and has been problem free the whole time. Still gleams like new after a good wash and is a delight to be in. Even the sat-nav system has worked well. The ride is a little on the firm side compared with the TR we have so Liz always grabs that so I’m left with the SR to play with. Still £35 to tax and over 60 to the gallon, carries my bike, dog and two sets of golf clubs when needed. A superb good looking all rounder. Service from Jim Walton of Penrith still exellent as always - David Chorlton from Cumberland

Submitted: 2009-01-16 | ID: 48676

Peter, Bedfordshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR 2008

I am SO disappointed with my Yaris 1.3 SR that I bought brand new in 2008. I am experiencing problems that I have never experienced with any other car in 22 years. The main issue is the gearbox, it is notchy and sometimes from a standstill I just cannot get into 1st gear or reverse and this has happened when I have just driven 50 miles or from cold. I have to pull away in 2nd. Dealer said they cannot find a problem with it. The engine is noisy and sometimes rattles like a diesel, doesn’t even start very quickly and sounds harsh and rattly when it fires up. The electric door mirrors do not heat up, the windows do not even clear of damp when you wind them down! The built in Tom Tom Sat Nav sometimes crashes, the boot is difficult to close, there is a creaking from the dashboard, the clutch clicks when you push it right down and you have to push it right down to change gear! and to start the engine. The rear seat headrests keep falling down, the glove box can be difficult to close and the dashboard plastics are appalling, the handling of the car in the wet is dangerous, the steering wheel controls for the radio are awkward to use and there is no mute apart from on the radio itself, the radio is difficult to tune in and even sometimes forgets the channels programmed in to it. The economy for a 1.3 is not good at about 40mpg, the fuel tank is ridiculously small for the size of car. The heater takes ages to warm up, the steering wheel cannot be adjusted high enough, despite the fact I have the seat lowered. I wish I had never bought the car, I never had ANY of these problems with my 1999 Renault Clio 1.6 in 9 years and it NEVER broke down. All I can think is that either the supposedly good reputation of Toyota Yaris is because the majority of people that buy it don’t use it much or don’t realise how much better other cars are to drive. I wish I could get all my money back and buy another Renault, Ford, Vauxhall, VW. As soon as I can I will be selling the Yaris and never buying another Toyota. What a load of absolute rubbish!

Hi Peter. Sorry to read about your troubles. I have to say that I have not experienced any of the problems you appear to have. I’ve read a lot about gearbox issues. Thus far I haven’t had any, mind you I only bought my 2011 T Spirit last month and haven’t really used it a great deal as yet. I’ve always been very impressed with Toyota and Japanese manufacturers generally. I’ve always believed Japan builds the best cars in the world. Then again, the Yaris hasn’t been made there since 2001. Maybe therein lies the problem. The Yaris is made in France now as you no doubt know. At the moment I’m over the moon with mine, but if I ever have the problems I’ve read that others have experienced I would never buy another. My previous Yaris a ’99 model (made in Japan) was flawless, I had her for 10 years and had done over 21000 miles when I bought her. I sold her on to my brother just days before I bought this one. She’d done almost 100,000 and was as good as the day she was made. I hope that my new one is just as reliable as the old one. I always had her serviced according to the maintenance schedule - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

I have to revise my earlier response with another. I have looked very closely at this website, and it occurs to me that many people are blaming Toyota for their own short comings. Other websites are much more positive not just about Toyota but all makes generally. Let’s get one thing clear once and for all. There is no such thing as a bad car manufacturer! No one builds rubbish cars!. Whether made in Japan or Khatmandu, Toyota (and every other car maker for that matter) doesn’t devise ways of conning the motoring public into parting with thousands of hard earned £s to buy a heap of junk. Their reputations depend on quality products. They wouldn’t have a HUGE GLOBAL EMPIRE otherwise. Wise up and know that most of the problems are with the drivers not with Toyota. - from England

Submitted: 2009-01-06 | ID: 48673

Barbara Wilson, Lincolnshire

Toyota Yaris TR 2008

An appalling gear box - a disgrace to the Toyota marque. Gears are unreasonably stiff and hard to get - especially second and third. I end up going around corners in neutral as I cannot get into second gear. (Illegal?). It is much worse when the engine is cold. The whole box is very notchy. Local garage is trying to be very helpful and have not argued - they have changed the clutch and put in thinner grade oil - if anything second gear is now even worse. The garage says Toyota KNOW they have a problem (? new cables don’t work re the latest gear box) and are "working to solve the fault" - but it could take up to a year!! My car is now tagged for recall. In two months I have now developed what looks like arthritis in my left shoulder from ramming gears in over the last two months! As a pensioner I cannot afford to throw money at this. I am hugely disappointed and Toyota MUST come up with a solution. There must be scores out there in trouble with new Yaris gear boxes. I wish I’d never bought the car. Car magazines are going to pick this up and damn the Yaris - at a time when sales are falling of all new cars. Not very clever if Toyota do not get a move on and SOLVE this gear box problem - they will lose sales nationwide as knowledge of this spreads. They cannot afford this mess up. They must solve it and RECALL all 2008 models of the Yaris.

Barbara. I’ve been reading that the gearbox itself is not the problem but the oil that Toyota uses. Apparently, if you use a 50:50 mix of Redline MT90 and Redline MTL (buy a 1litre bottle of each) as the gearbox hold roughly 2 litres, that will make a world of difference. The gears with be nice and slick and engage easily. Hope tis helps - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2008-12-03 | ID: 48621

Malcolm Price, Carmarthenshire

Toyota Yaris SR 2008

Another Yaris gearbox fiasco. Having purchased a new SR in June 08, it has been plagued with problems changing into 2nd and 3rd gears when cold; almost as if the synco’s don’t exist. The dealer has changed the oil to a different type - no difference, rebuilt the gearbox and tried another different oil; a little better, but in their terms still buggered! The problem is now with Toyota customer care, who seem indifferent, but have admitted there is a problem. If you’ve got a similar issue call them and log a complaint.

Hi Malcolm. Try a 50:50 mix of Redline MT90 and Redline MTL. A 1 litre bottle of each. I’m reading that the problem is not the gearbox itself but Toyota’s own oil that they put in it. Mix the 2 oils together and that will cure the fault apparently. Quite a few people on this website have complained about the Yarises gears being very difficult to engage and to live with generally. But this is such a good car normally that I’d be inclined to try that option first to see if that does indeed cure your problem, rather than simply dimiss it as a pile of rubbish. It may be all you need to do - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2008-11-14 | ID: 48619

Dr Shelina Poonja, Surrey

Toyota Yaris 2008

I love the car except for the faulty gear box. The multi-mode gear box is certainly faulty and gets stuck on the transmission. It also jots at gear changes in particular at the lower gears levels. I have reported this to the service department, and they say the jolts are not a fault however the fact that they are gears are not getting stuck, is a fault and I am due to have it checked out. This is a brand new car and I feel very cheated and unhappy that this critical issue has taken away the joy of getting a new car. I am not sure what the outcome of the repairs will be, but I will always be left with ill feelings about this.

I bought a Toyota Yaris 133 vvt and it lurches foward at every gear change - they said all the gearboxes do that, they advised me to try the deisel run car it was a little less pronounced but they want me to pay £2000+ extra. I insisted on my money back but the said they tested the car on the computer and there is no fault. Trading standards said I have rights of refund but another adviser told me that I have the option of taking them to court. The garage said they will take the car back but I will have to pay £1400 plus VAT and on top of that lose my car that I part exchanged - my Vauxhall Omega for which they gave me a measly £1000. The sales manager refused to put anything in writing, she also changes her offer and tries to talk over us - we feel like we are fobbed off - they are trying to break us down. Please advise - Cherryl Howard from Bedfordshire 18/09/2009

Submitted: 2008-11-06 | ID: 48616

John Penn, Yorkshire

Toyota Yaris SR 2008

I purchased a Yaris SR in July 2008 from the local Toyota dealership. Sadly, major gearbox problems; getting into 1st and 2nd gears. The dealer road tested and said it was a faulty gearbox, the technician stripped the gearbox down and repaired the fault. I road tested the car and the problem was still there. Toyota technician road tested the car and said they found no problem. I even got a second opinion from an independent technician and he said the gearbox was faulty - the dealership said they would change the gearbox - they also said they would swapped the gearbox from a another vehicle. I am very disappointed and wish that I had never purchased this car.

Submitted: 2008-10-06 | ID: 48609

James Jay, Cheshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3 SR 2008

I purchased a Yaris SR in January from a local Toyota wholly-owned dealership. Sadly, I had major clutch judder problems, the dealer was basically not interested - response... "we are not aware of any clutch judder problems with the Yaris" - which of course was not quite true why else would Toyota develop a modified clutch? Whilst waiting for my vehicle to be tested I spoke to another customer who owned a Yaris and who insisted not to be fobbed off, he had an older Yaris and also had major issues with clutch judder. Eventually problem worsened and despite the dealer telling me that the car was tested by 4 technicians who could not find a fault I insisted and went out with a technician who agreed a problem did actually exist. Since the clutch has been replaced I now have problems engaging reverse, 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears and also have problems coming down box. Dealer once again assured me that no gearbox problems could be identified and any notchyness or imprecision would ease with use? Sadly, a month on and no improvement. Car has been returned four/five times now and recently the dealership hinted that, yes, the gearbox did not perform as per manufacturer’s specifications, in short, much crunching and grinding was experienced. I received a phone call to inform me that gearbox had been replaced. However, I still continued to have problems with reverse 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear then the bombshell! The gearbox fitted was not brand new from the factory when vehicle was returned they said that they had driven both cars. The "donor car", a used registered forecourt vehicle which the gearbox was swapped from and my vehicle drove better?? and assured me any residual problems would ease with use. Appreciate anyones help/advice.

I’ve just purchased an 08 Yaris and have a problem getting 1st, 2nd and reverse when it’s cold - Raymond John from Caerphilly

Submitted: 2008-05-28 | ID: 48630

Julie, Renfrewshire

Toyota Yaris MMT 2008

I have previously owned two automatic Toyota Yaris’ and adored them. Just bought a new one which has the MMT - it is possibly the worst car I have ever driven. It is like driving with a kangaroo in the engine, jumpy, erratic and just downright awful. Also has the most horrific roll back, even on a slight incline. On calling my dealer to complain (I have had it 3 weeks) I got the distinct impression he wasn’t surprised to hear from me. The battle shall now commence for me to return it. Seriously, do not touch the MMT model if you are looking for an automatic car.

Hi, I have a new Sep 2010 Yaris mmt and have the same problem. Kangaroo petrol!! and roll back. Also, indicators that will not cancel. I am told this is a quirk of this car!! This car is going back to the dealer next week but I do not think they will do anything to help me. I just wish I had not changed from my usual Honda - Jeanne Hammond from England

Hi, an update on my dealers visit - roll back normal! Indicators not cancelling usual for this car!! Kangaroo petrol - just the brakes are not very sensitive, nothing can be done so I am stuck with it!! - Jeanne Hammond from England

Hi Julie. I read a long time ago that the MMT wasn’t particularly good. The CVT is a much better car to drive.I’ve test driven one. Clearly Toyota has not yet addressed this problem. Please don’t let that put you off. My 2011 T Spirit 6 speed manual is a beautiful car with tons of luxury equipment and totally bullet proof. Have a look at the number of Yarises in your area. If there are plenty out there on the roads you’ll have your answer - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2008-05-22 | ID: 48624

Nigel Pearson, Wiltshire

Toyota Yaris 1.3TR 2008

Truly awful, badly built, cheap materials and downright nasty to drive. Noisy at just about any speed, ponderous handling and nausea-inducing ride. Interior seems reasonable in the showroom but in reality is very badly thought out. Garish dashboard out of normal sight lines. Boot poor, even with sliding seats, huge gap in floor with seats slid forward is crazy. Poorly presented on delivery, numerous items missing or inoperative. Total inability and disinterest of uncaring dealers in resolving any issues. They’ve got your money so why other offering any help? Toyota sent me vouchers worth �100 for each friend or relative I recommended to them. I can’t think of anyone I dislike that much.

I have to disagree with you on this one Nigel. There are plenty of people in my town who drive them. That wouldn’t be the case if they were as bad as many people here obviously believe them to be. I admit I’ve read reports that the MMT is not particularly good, but we are talking about ONE model. Toyota didn’t get its reputation by building rubbish. Most people apparently want perfection. You’re not going to get it. At least not unless you’re prepared to pay around £250,000 for the privilege! - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2008-05-12 | ID: 48638

Sarah Gordon, Devon

Toyota Yaris 1.3 WT-i T3 5dr 2008

I’ve just bought a brand spanking new Yaris and I LOVE IT!! This is the first time I’ve bought new and I just fell for the Yaris as soon as I saw it. It’s a funky looking car with a very spacious and comfortable interior and it’s just so much fun to drive. Brilliantly affordable car that’s cheap to run and looks gorgous. 5 out of 5!!

At last. A kindred spirit. I was beginning to think that I’m the only person who loves this car. I’m rather tired of reading reviews that knock the Yaris. What one person deems to be rubbish another will tell you it’s the best car they’ve ever driven. Every make and model of car has it’s faults!. It really is that simple. As I,ve said before, much depends on how a vehicle is maintained, serviced, driven and looked after generally. I’ve just bought a 2011 T Spirit and so far my reaction is the same as yours. Good on you Sarah. - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 48640

The latest Toyota Yaris) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)