2008 308 reviews

28 November 2014

2008 Peugeot 308 reviews

Peugeot 308 reviews by year of make:207 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

Ian Richards, Shropshire

Peugeot 308 2007 - 2013

Bought the Pug with 13,500 miles, I've added around another 26,000 miles since in the two years that I have owned it. Ok let's dispel the myths - driving position is slightly offset but no problem at all. Cars that are on good quality tyres and have been geometery checked do not wander to the left (this will happen due to the camber of UK roads only). My car on 17 inch wheels is like riding a church pew, if you don't want a rock hard ride go for a car on 16 inch wheels (these use 55 series tyres which give a little more comfort). Front brake discs and pads (Bosch) will wear out in 20,000 miles, they are very good but very very soft, mine is now running on a set of Pagid. Steering is a little light for my liking but it is firm enough, gearbox is a little notchy and the high clutch bite point is a little concerning at first, but it is very light and will not give you leg ache. Fuel ecomomy for my driving and work trips gives anywhere between 45 and 49 mpg (for 1.6 petrol that's good). If you want one go for low mileage full history cars (main dealers have the best obviously at a price). Service regularly and under no circumstances use cheap oil. The vti petrol enigine has 3 camshafts, the 3rd is at the very top of the engine and controls valve lift, it is also connected to a complex system of rollers and guides. Fully synthetic oil is a must along with regular changes. Like all cars look after it and you should be ok, I would buy another without any worry.

Submitted: 2014-09-16 | ID: 103163

Adrian Kay, England

Peugeot 308 2008

Absolutely the worst car I have ever bought. Issues with Catalytic converters and other costs totalling in excess of £3,000. I have recieved no help from Peugeot UK and yet it is a common problem (check the internet for ’Catalytic converter Peugeot’ - scary!!!!). Peugeot parts are expensive and anti competitive on certain models. Total Rip off. I will never buy Peugeot again.

I have no help from Peugeot UK, we are told about the 60k mileage warranty, but that does include certain parts, therefore feel that 25k for a shock absorber being wear and tear, is the original shock absorber fit for purpose? - David Ellis from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 45239

Sean McManus, Devon

Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi 110 Sport 2008

Overall a great car. Completely different to my old 05 Astra, this car works! Lovely and comfortable and smooth, also quite torquey for only being a 1.6! Was very surprised when I seen the interior, its just as well built as the Golf and I think the materials look and feel better! I can safely recommend this car!

Submitted: 2010-11-05 | ID: 45224

Tony Nay, Cumberland

Peugeot 308 2008

Love the car,60+m.p.g,smooth, quiet, good performance solo & towing a caravan, but pulls to left on most roads (dealer says they can’t find anything wrong and have not felt it pull left). Paintwork very soft, soon marks around handles and boot release, very disappointed with Peugeot’s response to my rear brake disc corrosion (not our problem), even the dealer has not made a goodwill gesture towards us, even though we have bought 2 new cars in 3 years off them. Still love the car.

I also have a pull to the left..only 22 months old. The garage can’t find out why and have now said it’s a feature - Catherine Blake from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

I’m thinking about buying the same car, we too have a caravan, is the 1.6 a good towing car? - from England

Hi, I have recently bought a 308 1.6 HDI from a Peugeot main dealer - the pulling to the left is a major concern I have with the car - been back to the main dealers 3 times in a month, wheel alignement checked, tryes swapped left to right, 4 wheel geometry checks, test drive done by Peugeot technician - keep getting the same response from them - there’s nothing wrong with car!!!. So have now reported the issue to VOSA. I feel this is a major safety issue - Andy Royle from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2010-08-01 | ID: 45228

Waleed Shirbeeny, Egypt

Peugeot 308 2008

I have the same car 308 2008 petrol automatic trans. I noticed this slight tendency to pull to the left. With this exception, it is a nice car.

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 45232

Rod Bailey, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 308sHDI 90 5DR 08 2008

GOOD STUFF: Cheap Tax, 62MPG, Big inside. That’s it.. Yep thats it, I can’t think of any thing else. The BAD STUFF: Had new F/R Discs 9,000ml,. Two engine oil leaks, Six trips to Bristol Street Motors in Worksop to have a fuel leak sorted - ended up having new tank. It had new mirror switch and yes it does tend to pull to left, I sorted this with a trip to Kwikfit and asking them to set the track spot on as if you have it set to within the tolerance it pulls. The head lights are made this way or so Peugeot say. When you use full beam and there is damp in the air i.e Mist Fog Spray. You have pillars of light shining to the heavens and you must try and look around them in order to see ahead. The ride is so hard I should invest in a gum shield. Loads of road noise from rear of car. Oh yes the intermittent wipers are auto, so the faster you go so do the wipers. only more often than not you dont need them to speed up as it is only road spray. You end up doing them your self as and when you need to give the screen the odd wipe. 9/10 times this makes the intermittent setting of no use. The cost of a service that should include an engine air filter is high due to them having to drop the engine to even get to the filter. Making it hard to find some else to do the service if you should ever wish. The list goes on..

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 45207

Michael Head, Hertfordshire

Peugeot 308 SW 2008

I have test driven the 308 SW today. The vehicle was pulling to the left and I was told that it needed to go through the workshops and that it would be sorted then, however, after reading the comments here and on the Peugot owners forum which mirrored those here I think I will stay with my Renault Senic which does not pull to the left and is more comfortable.

Submitted: 2009-12-07 | ID: 45208

Mario Magro, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 308 Turbo Diesel HDi 1.6 ltr 90bhp 2008

Owned for the last 16 months. Very economical and impressive stylish design. Offers good comfort in the inside and boasts of a number of gadgets that enhance the drivers feeling inside the cabin. One major problem with this car is that the experience behind the steering wheel is an absolute NIGHTMARE. When driving, you have to grip the steering wheel and exhert a lot of strength to maintain the car in a straight trajectory. If the steering wheel is left free for JUST TWO SECONDS the car would IMMEDIATELY LOOSE ITS TRAJECTORY VERY HEAVILY, no matter at what speed or the condition of the road surface. In actual fact, this renders the car, the most UNSAFE and UNSECURE. Peugeot claim that this is not a defect but just a characteristic of the car. If this is the case, I really wonder how the PEUGEOT 308 has in fact won the Golden Wheel Award. I reported these problems to the local agent of Peugeot on 4 different occasions. They simply denied that the car has any problems since all the tests they carried out did not reveal any mechanical flaws. I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED that with all these DEFECTS the local agent persists glorifying the car as working in perfect condition. Writing to the mother company in France was also a shock. My complaint was diverted to Peugeot UK branch which in turn advised me to revert back to my local agent for help... so, BACK TO SQUARE ONE. Sixteen months after acquiring the car, these problems have remained unsolved. Any advice on how I could proceed towards the resolution problems cited will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve only had mine a couple of weeks but have noticed a tendency for it to pull to the left, but as there’s a bit of wheel wobble I’ll get the tracking checked. No surprise the main company don’t want to know.....had the same problem with Seat and them going on about franchises. Maybe get an AA report and submit that or print it in the local rag. Only real way is to walk with your money. I had to work so hard to buy my 308 and Peugeot won’t get my money next time! - Lisa Mead from Essex

I am having the same problem on a new 59 plate. I have been told by my dealership management that it is a "safety feature" of the car. After speaking to several technicians and Peugeot customer care they have never heard of this "feature" and, along with my friends and family, have never come across it before either. The matter is ongoing and is due in for examination on 7th December. If it it still there I will be changing the car - Martin Miller from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Hi, I have a 08 308 1.6 HDi 110 Sport and my car was pulling to the left alot, I took it to see if the wheels needed aligned and they were fine. It turned out that uneven tyre wear was the cause of it in my case. Also I had a light on my dashboard ’Depolution Filter’, the car struggled to start and when it did start i revved it to about 4000 rpm and the light dissapeared soon after and I have had no problems since with it. Apart from that I find the passenger level for adjusting the back of the seat quite stiff. Overall apart from these few things I am extremely happy with my 308. I had the choice of a Focus, Golf, Astra and my 308 and I do not regret taking my 308 because its economical and lovely and comfortable to drive, I also love the centre arm rest!! - Jack 0’ Callaghan from Northern Ireland

You think you’ve got a problem....? http://www.davidjaundrell.co.uk/308cc/ - David Jaundrell from Shropshire

I agree totally with everything Mario said and can add that when there is the least bit of snow or ice my car is also a NIGHTMARE and VERY UNSAFE. All the other cars in my street cope fine and I get stuck and need pushed. Same recently at a festival when it was the only car to get stuck in a bit of mud. With regards to the steering my local dealer said that it is due to the width of the wheels on such a small car. I love the look of the car but I will be forced to trade it in before winter as I couldn’t cope with another winter worrying about the road conditions. - Gwen Scott from Scotland

With regards to the depollution problem. I had a problem with my 407 HDI - had fuel filter changed for £40.00 - problem gone - Mark Farrimond from England

Submitted: 2009-09-22 | ID: 45213

Berker Celik, England

Peugeot 308 2008

Here is the brand new Peugeot which has excellent sound isolation and comfortable suspension. An economic engine and automatic gearbox too...

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 45242

The latest Peugeot 308) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)