2008 Scudo reviews

20 September 2014

2008 Fiat Scudo reviews

Fiat Scudo reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 Read all reviews

Chris Lund, England

Fiat Scudo 2.0 tdi 2008

I bought my Scudo new from dealership so I would have security of a new van for at least 3 years. It’s been the worst mistake of my life! No amount of money has made this pile of scrap stay on the road. It’s been recovered countless times by RAC. Engine management light is on more than a street lamp. All the diagnostics put together can’t give diagnosis to put this right. Genuinely DO NOT GO WITHIN 100 miles of one of these, it will make your life a living hell and probably financially ruin you. Don’t say you weren’t warned!

Hi, like you we have had no end of trouble with a van we bought from new resulting in spending over £5000 in 3 years to keep it on the road. Sounds like you have the same issue as us. An approved Fiat garage finally found that all the wires within the wiring loom were burnt out, damaged and not insulated, something that never showed up with diagnostics. Seems like a manufacturing fault. Fiat needless to say have been useless and we are now having to go down the legal route - Oriana Pontone from Surrey

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 39319

Jamie, Essex

Fiat Scudo 2.0 multijet 120 2008

Fantastic van that is quick and pulls with ease everything I tow on it (mainly cars/4x4 on car trailer), even when loaded itself. Very impressive fuel consumption - 500+ miles on a tank of diesel with sensible driving. So comfortable to drive I rarely use my car now. It’s done 80,000 miles. It had 55,000 on it when I got it 18 months ago and all I have done is service it (full service, and I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles) and front and rear pads. Can not fault this van and would buy another, but only the 2.0 diesel not the 1.6.

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 39311

Sammy Hayes, Lanarkshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

The worst van ever! I’ve replaced the turbo twice as it’s so noisey it rattles like a rattle snake!

Submitted: 2013-03-31 | ID: 39312

Chris, Leicestershire

Fiat Scudo 120 mjet 2008

Can’t believe I didn’t read the reviews before buying my Scudo 2008 120 mjet. It is garbage and is constantly failing on me despite throwing money at it. Listing the faults would take too long. Stay clear!

Submitted: 2012-10-25 | ID: 39315

Neil Sands, County Antrim

Fiat Scudo 2008

Bad doesn’t describe it. If no stars were an option I’d be on it. Let’s begin. Bought September last year and so far it’s needed: Anti roll bar bushes (cannot be bought separate have to buy the whole thing) all for injector seals, power steering pipe on low pressure end, 2 x wishbone and link bars and now a gearbox. Good going in a year and 17,000 miles. Only 75,000 on the clock and isn’t used for a great weight. If someone gave you this van it would still cost you a fortune. Stay well clear, poor doesn’t even cover it!

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 39316

Anton Schaeffer, Australia

Fiat Scudo 2008

Hi I am sorry to see so many people have wasted their money on a 2008 Scudo as I have. Mine has had a few faults so far and it’s been in the Fiat dealership trying to solve the knock in the engine for 3 weeks now. The engine has been dismantled, but they can’t find a thing wrong with it. They are in constant touch with Fiat Australia and are now talking about putting it back together as they have no idea and I suppose they need the space. What can you do? They are the experts. ( Ex = unknown, spert= drip under pressure!)

Hi, we have the same problem with our 2008 Scudo. Did you ever get the problem resolved? - W R from England

hello i have same proplem - mr yan turner from North Yorkshire

hello i have same problem with scudo comfort 2008 top right side of the engine - mr yan turner from North Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-07-14 | ID: 39307

S G, England

Fiat Scudo Panorama 2008

The Scudo has good pulling power, reasonable fuel economy at 29-38 mpg (loaded and very loaded), but that’s the good bit over with. Okay, here’s the trash on it: Bought at eight months old, the anti-roll bar bushes went at one month out of warranty, it has squeaky seats, a leak from the power steering componant and the air bag light keeps coming on and won’t reset at the local garage as it needs the dealership to do this at a cost of £60! The door needing resetting onto the hangers, it has a rear light fault, wore out its discs at 27k and as a brake force imbalance of 13%, which is only just within MoT limits. Take into consideration that we’ve only done 27k in 4 years - buyers beware step away from the Scudo!

Submitted: 2012-04-09 | ID: 39303

Steve Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire

Fiat Scudo 120 multi 2008

A total waste of money, the biggest bag of trash I have ever driven. I’ve had 4 turbos go in 41K. It drinks juice and is vile to drive. More warning buzzers than enough. Don’t go near them. My normal van is a VW transporter, which had 176k on the clock and has only let me down once with a broken drive shaft. Says it all to me!!

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 39293

Chris Dulake, Surrey

Fiat Scudo 2008

Should have listened to everyone else. What a pile of junk. Just over two year old and had more things problems than can list. Only thing that’s original is the block, head and g/box I think. Two terminal breakdowns, into dealer a total of 6 times and it’s still not right. Last time they said it was all done. Got out of the dealers gate and there it was again. I can’t knock the dealer, he’s doing his best, but the van, mechanically etc is the pits. Driving is great, when it’s running. Wonder what it will be like when it’s done lots of miles, if it ever gets there. Stay clear of Fiat Vans!!!!!!

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 39270

David Wright, Renfrewshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Just over three years old, several faults including: major oil leak, excessives tyre wear, knocking front supension, brake failure twice, most of all serious cracking on body work next to side loading doors estimated costs £3200. Fiat will not cover warranty on this, 8 year body warranty not worth paper it’s written on. I am consulting a lawyer on retuning the van as not fit for purpose under trading standards, updates will follow. Be warned, financial disaster if buying Fiat commercial.

We have had a Scudo van for three years and in that time, it has had a new engine, complete loom replacement, two gearboxes and now it had problems with the fuel pump. I am considering the "not fit for purpose" angle and I wondered how you got on with your litigation. Please feel free to contact me on haking@btinternet.com - Hazel King from Kent

Submitted: 2011-03-14 | ID: 39265

Dave Brown, Durham

Fiat Scudo 2008

Keep well away from the Fiat Scudo up to now I’ve had more faults than I care to remember at the time of this letter I’ve spent over 5 grand on repairs. Please take my advice, don’t go anywhere near it.

Submitted: 2011-01-12 | ID: 39272

Karen McDougall, Renfrewshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

After approx 55 miles nightmare began; fuel pump, rollbar, egr valve, new turbo, power steering pump, oil leaks, window pulleys snapped. Paisley dealership blamed contaminated supermarket fuel at start to buy time as warranty only had 2 months left. Total rip off, never buy Fiat!

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 39274

Jason Beesley, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 1.6D 2008

Bought my Scudo in Feb 08, wish I’d bought a skip from the demolition company across the road. Scudo looks nice, drives well, that’s where it ends. 2 weeks out of 2 yr warranty EGR valve went causing £730 damage. Roll bar knackered, all the dogs chase me because the turbo whistles that much, passenger seat has collapsed, only gets light use. Paint is cracking across all of the panel seams. Van has only done 35000 miles and is well looked after. Fiat should be ashamed of themselves, product reliability is a joke. This van is only good if you are hiring one for a week, any longer you are wasting your time. Don’t bother ringing Fiat UK, it won’t get you anywhere. Save the price of the call and put the lottery on, you have better odds of success.

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 39292

Paul Mottram, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Damn good van up to now, 65,000 miles on the clock, it gets hard pushed all the time and fully loaded. Just had all the belts done. Very good on fuel and fast off the mark, it bombs around rural Scotland day in and day out. The only faults I have had up to now is possible rear suspension leak but not yet confirmed and it had to go back in on recall for a light adjustment, but that’s it, you can’t expect them to run without something going wrong. I would buy another one no problem when the time comes.

Submitted: 2010-11-27 | ID: 39290

Graham Marshall, England

Fiat Scudo 2008

Had my first anti roll bar replaced 15000 miles after reading reports it is clearly a design or build quailty problem. Do someting about it Fiat! Broke down last week and had to have the indicater switch assy replaced on 22,000 .. its my fault apparently as it was full of water (LIES!) The engineers at the local Fiat garage (Middleton ) will do anything for you as long as you pay their stupid labour charges! The warranty is a complete joke.

Submitted: 2010-10-18 | ID: 39288

Micko Jones, Ireland

Fiat Scudo 120 multijet 2008

Ihave had it back with the dealer countless times. Last time a big engine job. I have done 1,200 kilometres and it has burned most of the oil in the sump. I tried trading it in but no one wants. They are having trouble with anti-roll bars, flywheels, side window water leaks, carbon build up in engine, egr valves. I will never buy again but can not even get rid of it.

Submitted: 2010-09-21 | ID: 39283

Michael Wilson, Durham

Fiat Scudo 2008

Just to let everyone going to buy a Fiat Scudo know... Since my last views on the Scudo my major problems have gone up from 28 faults up to 31 faults. Yes, that’s 3 more in the space of 2 weeks - the latest faults have been the engine mounts have collapsed; the rear shockers have gone again (dealer shockers may I add) and I’d like to say, finally, but I am being optimistic - the cooler system is leaking oil again!

Submitted: 2010-09-20 | ID: 39284

Paul Hillier, Wiltshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

I bought 2 Fiat Scudos in 2008, over a 2 year period they both were in Fiat for warranty work at least 7 times each, one of them there for 9 months. Both with the same problem. Had nightmares with both of them. Both broken down again with same problem, Fiat no help at all now out of warranty, even though it’s been a recurring prob from new. I would advise that you avoid Fiat vehicles like the plague!!!!!

Just been looking to get a new van, thanks for your review. Just wondering, did you part-ex them to a dealer in Swindon as they told me? They have had 2 in recently from the same company wanting to trade up their vans, just really don’t want to or can’t afford to make a wrong purchase - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 39278

Michael Wilson, Durham

Fiat Scudo 2008

I bought my Fiat Scudo 120 minibus in 2008. I’ve had more problems, in fact 28 faults, firstly holes in the floor, intercooler, all the bushes, squeaky seats, clutch flywheel, steering rack, snapped wheel nut, paint peeling off, turbo replaced, diesel tank exploded, both sliding doors have come off, shattered wheel discs, gear box shattered from inside, oil pump replaced and there’s still major noises coming from the front. In my opinion I would stay well away from Fiat Scudos if you have any sense. Every Wednesday for just short of 2years the van’s been in the dealership for work to be done.

Submitted: 2010-09-06 | ID: 39277

Raymond Boyd, Dumfriesshire

Fiat Scudo 120 Comfort multijet swb 2008

I bought a Fiat Scudo in January 2008 for business use and to be honest the vehicle is fantastic in size with loads of road and a good pay load. Its not a high vehicle, so easy to park in multi storeys with restricted head room for vehicles. The engine size is good and drives very well and is very economical on fuel. As well as all that it looks good and was relatively easy to sign write having large straight panels. The problems arise when the vehicle hits two years old. It has a full manufacturer’s warranty for two years and the third years warranty is only a dealer’s warranty which to be honest covers very little. My vehicle is two and a half years old and despite the vehicle only having done 60,000 miles and has one driver who does not drive the vehicle hard I have had to replace the master cylinder, the intercooler and the anti roll bar all at the same time. The dealer was very good but when I complained to Fiat all they would give was the parts for the master cylinder. Its natural wear and tear they told me. What a load of rubbish, no other commercial vehicle we have had has needed so many major parts at that age. Actually, we had a problem with the Doblo at just over two years old - the full linkage on the windscreen wipers had to be replaced, again normal wear and tear... I dont think so. So be warned, they are really great vans BUT unless Fiat gets to grips with their parts wearing out after two years don’t keep your van any longer than the maufacturer’s warranty period.

Re Fiat and after sales service on a Fiat Multipla. I have a file full correspondence that I have accumulated with my on going battle with Fiat. I had problems far too numerous to mention with this brand new vehicle - mainly electrical I have to say. I eventually got in touch with Fiat Head Office in the UK. The letters I received from ’the big man’ painted a picture of a person who didn’t give a damn about his customers and I was treated with absolute contempt. We love the car itself but I have vowed never to buy another Fiat which is a pity because I really fancy the Scudo van. I arrived at this website hoping there would be some good reviews and that I had just been unfortunate with my dealings with Fiat, but I can see I’m not the only one who is disgruntled! - Ivy Green from England

Submitted: 2010-09-02 | ID: 39281

Mark, Scotland

Fiat Scudo 2008

The Fiat dealer was great, customer service centre c**p! The ’unlimited’ 2 year warranty is rubbish; clutch problem at 87.000 miles still under warranty was told by customer care centre that’s wear & tear so it’s not covered under unlimited warranty, total lies from Fiat. Their new ads should say "we have your money now don’t bother us anymore" and I’m being polite. If you have a brain then take my advice and don’t buy a Fiat Scudo. Infact let’s start a forum called ’Lets get back at Fiat for ripping us off!’<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-24 | ID: 39276

Shay O Connor, Northamptonshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Purchased Scudo 2.0hdi taxi,io/11/2008, it is less than 2 years old, the following problems have occurred: Rear sliding door was pulled off by customer; New clutch after 30000 miles; 2 sets of anti roll bars fitted under warranty; Auxiliary belt frayed, new one fitted; Timing belt and water pump changed; Major problems with engine management, new egr valve fitted under warranty, the problem’s still there, now having 2 cats fitted at £1400. Also, 2 drive shafts done under warranty and by the way the cab has only done 55000 miles, could be all the time spent in the garage that has kept the mileage down! Also my earnings! I do not have a problem with the local dealer, they try their hardest to please but the Scudo taxi as a product is rubbish and I shall not be buying another.

Submitted: 2010-07-13 | ID: 39275

Neil Metcalfe, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo Deluxe 2008

The Scudo van we bought can be fantastic when all is well but when it’s bad it’s very bad. The van packed up completely on the M6 when the exhaust valve gave up. Why Fiat do not have a manual override for this built in line is beyond me. If this stops working just start walking. Now the van is 2 years and one month old and the suspension is knocking like mad. I spoke to the dealer who tells me this is not a problem but they do have 5 vans waiting for new anti roll bars. We changed the poor headlight bulbs for some bright ones. This took us over two hours and plenty of skin but it is worth it. The van is used for light work only and these are issues I would expect from a 1985 Transit not a 2008 van. Perhaps I will look at Vauxhall or Hyundai next.<br /><br />

It seems from reading several different reviews/websites etc., inc AA recalls -that Fiat have a huge problem with the Anti roll bar (of course they are denying this ). I have noticed a Knocking noise for a while now and when I mentioned this to Fiat they said "they’re not aware of any issues concerning knocking or banging" However, I popped my van into a local garage and not the local Fiat dealers as I wanted to get an independant opinion and as I thought the Anti roll bar & drop links need changing ..Of course the Mechanic is amazed that this is even an issue with a van that is so young! However, on his advice I’m about to do battle with our local Fiat dealer as, like several other owners, my van only does light work and should not need to have the Anti roll bar changed at just 2 yrs 5 months old! Especially that a 3 yr warranty should mean 3 YRS .... Like others I will avoid Fiat for another Vehicle, fortunately I also own a Vito so I already know where my money will be better spent next time! - from Warwickshire

I’m just wondering if you got anywhere with Fiat? I have a Scudo Combi, had an anti-roll bar replaced Jan 10 and already needs another. Considering my car is not 3 years old ’til November I am wary that my last wasn’t fitted correctly. I have contacted Fiat and awaiting a return call to see if they can help with the costs as it’s not covered under 3 yr warranty! The vehicle has only done 24000 miles, carrying small children only so I just can’t see how I have damaged them! - Louise Riddler from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 39245

Cliff Archer, Essex

Fiat Scudo 2008

Very disappointed with the Scudo. the fuel economy of a 120 Deluxe is about 36 mpg. The suspension is terrible with a common problem being that the stabilising bushes wear very quickly and when it comes to replacing these under warranty the main dealers just don’t want to know even though this problem in my opinion is coming close to a recall situation. Don’t even attempt to change the front lamp bulbs unless you were born double jointed. The rear tailgate left hand door has to be shut with an operation of push and pull because the bottom catch mechanism is slightly offset and to shut the sliding doors I have to yank at them to start them off on their journey. A plus point is a very comfortable ride (when suspension correct) with a good-looking van but not enough plus points to make me go and buy another one. Was once told Fiat stood for Fix It Again Tomorrow. I now wish I had taken more notice of those wise words.

Submitted: 2010-03-23 | ID: 39248

William Dick, Scotland

Fiat Scudo 1.6 2008

The only problem was the heat-shield, like the other previews I have that knocking sound at the rear, I think it’s the suspension. Two years old and 89000 on the clock, it’s a good van.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39241

Paul Cumpsty, Lancashire

Fiat Scudo 120 combi 2008

My 2008 plate 2l diesel has done approx 65000 miles, on my 3rd rear anti rollbar, several sets of suspension bushes have been fitted, intercooler exploded at approx 30k, currently waiting on a front lower suspension arm and cv boot to arrive and be fitted under warranty. I also suffer from clutch judder when leaving junctions and every day it has a new clunk or bang from somewhere. It’s being used as a taxi in Lancaster, a very popular choice for taxi’s in this town but every time I go to the dealers with it they have a stack of taxis in there for warranty work. Loads are suffering from flywheel/clutch replacements, anti rollbars, bushes, instrument clusters packing up. One of my friends has been in for all these faults and is now being put on a jig as they suspect the wheels/body is all out of line, its going back to Fiat under the consumers act of unfit for purpose.

Have you tried putting some silicon around the upper rear brake light? I have just done mine and at the moment it’s working! - from Cardiff

Write in to watchdog, they will sort it! - Tony Greenhead from Kent

Submitted: 2010-02-04 | ID: 39242

Liam Reardon, Cheshire

Fiat Scudo 120 Comfort 2008

Really surprised me! Had a VW Transporter before and this wipes the floor with it. Never missed a beat in 60000 miles.

Submitted: 2009-09-10 | ID: 39253

Vanny Taylor, Leicestershire

Fiat Scudo 2.0 2008

I had van new in 08 - worst van ever - pulls to left, seats worn out, paints patchy... oh, the best bit is it does 22 mpg. Fiat vans are a joke, fly wheel went - clunking noise at front. It had only done 10000, god knows what it will be like at 50000. DON’T BUY ONE! They’re scrap.

Submitted: 2009-03-11 | ID: 39328

The latest Fiat Scudo) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)