2008 C4 Picasso reviews

27 November 2014

2008 Citroen C4 Picasso reviews

Citroen C4 Picasso reviews by year of make:2007 2008 2009 2010 2012 Read all reviews

Rory Hoban, Ireland

Citroen C4 Picasso 2008

My C4 was bought in April 2008. It broke down in June 2008 and 3 times every year since. Under warranty it went back to the dealer’s garage but they cannot fix, so it costs a lot to fix. Citroen will not recall it as they say this car is the only one the world with the problem. My C4 does not like the heat, when the temperature reading in the car says 28 degrees or over, the motherboard trips out. First, the power steering fails, followed by front lights flashing, then the wipers start working. When you stop the car the auto parking break locks and the car will not drive. So when you take the keys out of the ignition the engine remains running. Citroen Europe’s first advice was to get out of the car quickly as the doors and windows may lock. The cheapest way I discovered to resolve this problem is to open all doors, boot door and bonnet. After about 1 hour the motherboard cools down and resets itself and there is no problem, car restarts and park over night. Hoping for rain or snow in the middle of summer. We now call our summer breakdown season. Think twice about Citroen unless you have a spare bank account!

Submitted: 2014-03-28 | ID: 93542

Mike Evans, England

Citroen C4 Picasso Exlusive 1.6d EGS 2008

I bought the car in Feb this year with 51000 on the clock. A nice car to drive; comfortable, economical, fourty or so to the gallon locally probably better on a long run. The ride is a little harsh due I think to the rated tyre pressure of over 34 psi. The EGS can be a little notchy, but OK if you ease off the pedal a bit when you know it’s about to change up. It also has more little extras than you would imagine. One thing that annoys me, however, is that you can only listen to the radio for a few minutes when stationary before the car goes into economy mode and switches it off . All was going well until this week when I lost a lot of power, also a warning light "Depolution system faulty". The car is now at the garage having the "turbo impellor" replaced. A nine hour job I’m told. Fortunately I got a twelve month warranty when I bought the car, I just hope I don’t have any of the other many faults that people have written about. Don’t know how other owners feel, but I always release the auto handbrake by hand as I really hate the feel when the car is trying to move with the handbrake still on.

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 37856

Steve Smart, England

Citroen C4 Picasso 2008

I’ve had problems with the front seat jamming. Citroen have said it needs new runners at a cost of £500+. What a complete nightmare!

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 37857

Andrew Hughes, England

Citroen C4 Picasso 7 Seater 2008

I’ve had no problems whatsoever with the car over last 3 years. I really do like it!!!

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 37858

Rob Foster, Sussex

Citroen C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008

Had the old Xsara Picasso so, in 2008 decided to change to this one. I do loads of miles and it’s really comfortable, 47mpg average and over 50 on the motorway. Also bags of low down torque. Downside is the quality, loads of little faults: Fuse box shorting intermittently, cutting the engine. Finish coming off the drivers door handle, sun visors constantly sliding back, really poor reception on the stereo, key stopped working i.e. not unlocking the doors, rear brakes binding and being stripped twice to fix this. I could go on but my biggest complaint is the rubbish paintwork. Tiny scratches appear from nowhere no matter how careful I am, not something that was a problem on the old car. I’ve done 33000 miles and am ending my lease early I’m so fed up with it. Would I buy one again? Obviously no. Would I recommend one to you? Yes, it’s a good car that I’ve fallen out of love with, but just check that all those little buttons etc., work before you buy one.

Submitted: 2011-06-22 | ID: 37854

Dave, England

Citroen C4 Picasso vtr+ 1.6hdi 2008

I bought a used C4 Picasso, very cheap because it had done 90k hard miles. It has the 6 speed auto/manual box with paddle shifts, which is a delightful box of tricks. The car is an absolute joy to drive, we have even taken to "going out for a drive", once again even with diesel now at well over £6 per gallon. I cannot fault it, it’s far better than I could have dared hope or expect. The suspension needed a minor fix (anti roll bar links), now it drives like new again. The little diesel lump willingly pulls its heart out yet still returns 50-60 mpg. It tows our caravan with hardly any effort at all. Anyone considering buying a used or a new C4 Picasso should stop thinking and buy it!

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 37850

Ron Wood, Essex

Citroen C4 Picasso c4 grand piccasso 2008

I bought this car in wicked red, looks great, egs semi auto box, bit different, but easy to get used to, good fuel economy(diesel) Jan 2008 24000 miles. Ex mobility car. Good to drive, smooth ride loads of space, seats fold easy. When closing the bonnet don’t push down on it, it dents easily.... look for wear on rt. side drivers seat. Consider having parking sensors fitted, (the "privlige " model has sensors.) Massive windscreen; make sure you have windscreen cover, it’s over £600 for new one. No probs yet... I really like the car.

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 37853

Michael Bates, Northamptonshire

Citroen C4 Picasso VTR1 1.6 DIESEL 7 seater 2008

Chose this as our Motability vehicle. Very roomy, very nice to drive and comfortable. HOWEVER after only 18000 miles we have had 3 problems. The cooling fan bolts sheared leaving the fan spinning against the engine, sounding like a tractor! The engine management system developed a fault leading to the engine dying on on the motorway.Had I been on the outside lane we could have been killed and caused a very serious accident.The RAC after attending ,could not guarantee it would not happen again,so I refused to drive it. After having maintenance, it happened again. Citroen in France finally admitted that they had had this problem before, and my local dealer has now resolved the problem. Some weeks ago the gear change became very notchy and loose, eventually we were unable to change gear! Once again back to the dealer, problem sorted! However, as I write this the problem has returned and so back to the dealer yet again. We are contacting Motability to ask if we can return the car for something more reliable. We will not lease Citroen again!!!

Further to my earlier comments. The C4 has had the gear selector cables replaced. The dealer’s only comment was that this was due to "excessive use". Sorry, 18000 miles is excessive? We are awaiting our new Ford Focus - Michael Bates from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2010-11-16 | ID: 37846

John Driscoll, England

Citroen C4 Picasso Grand C4 vtr+ 2008

Bought a motability car a week ago, 16 months old, 16k on the clock. All this week we thought "great car" in terms of interior comfort and 7 seat flexibility and used it to carry multiple kids as well as help a friend move a load of bags. Then twice yesterday evening on way home the warning lights (STOP / engine failure / oil pressure etc etc) all suddenly flashed and power stopped. Had to restart car and then could continue. It happened once in the middle of a junction which was a close run thing and then 20 minutes later outside our house, if this had been fast lane of a motorway it wouldn’t have been pretty. Has anyone come across this before? Before we bought it the garage gave it a full service and it has 18 months left on warranty.

Have either your injection or fuel pump checked - Harris Ramuth from Mauritius

I have a 09 plate Citroen and I am having the exact same problems - Kishan Modha from England

Having the exact same problems with my 08 plate, it’s a motability car been in the garage to be fixed 6 times this year alone. It’s either engine oil pressure too low, gear box faulty, handbrake faulty, depolution system faulty. It judders then just cuts out, it has done it on fast lane of motorway, let me just say we were lucky we could get across to the hard shoulder! It’s going back in again this week for the same faults, even though the computer has been changed and re-programmed. We will never get a Citreon again, motability also going to get a complaint as we have the car on the scheme ’til next may and cant keep taking it in to the garage until then - Lucy Lewis from Hampshire

Our Car is 2 years old and from day one has been in and out of garage. The parking brake comes on whilst driving, headlights have blown 3 times, doors unlock by themselves, windows open but then won’t close. We have been sick of taking car into the garage only for them to say they couldn’t find a fault. In May spent 2 weeks in garage having refused to take it back, again they still couldn’t find a fault. In August middle lane of the motorway and the car just died, every light imaginable came on and my husband just about had enough room to slowly roll onto hard shoulder. They have replaced a chip for the electronic side of things, but we are still having problems. I have lost all confidence in it’s reliability and safety that I have asked Motability if we can get out of our contract. Citroen customer services is a complete joke they are prepared to let myself and motability sort it out, but they refuse to help. When I explained to Mr Hill at Citroen about what had been happening with the car he said to me "What do you want Citroen to do " and today when I explained that the car is not smooth to drive it judders and dies at roundabouts he said it was our driving that was causing the problem ! Complete joke and we will NEVER have a Citroen 4 Picasso ever again - Julie Bartlett from Shropshire

Submitted: 2010-03-02 | ID: 37830

Pat, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4 Picasso 2008

I was so lucky to be able to put the extra money needed for this Motabilty Car. I think it’s mainly fantastic. The easy use of the Automatic Controls on the wheel is great for someone with arthritis. The warning reversing tone and screen on the dash shows you how far you are away from something and down the rear sides also. With the added great idea of the side mirrors pointing down as you start reversing you can see both sides for safety etc. The height of the car allows easy access for me to swing my legs in/out (needed for my health problems). The Speed Limiter is great though depending if you are on level or not it can go a couple of miles over, so I always set mine 1 below.It’s a godsend on our roads now. Great Cruise Control. It is great to handle and I feel safe driving it even in the dreadful weather we are having now. BUT I have never had a car windscreeen wipers stop working in the cold as they have now, even at the beginning of the cold spell we have now. A trip to the garage will be worrying without being able to use them unless I can get them to come to me. I have put near enough neat windscreen washer in the container so it’s not that I have been at fault. I can’t hear the motor though when I switch the wipers on as I think I have panicked & pressed the washers too much so I know it’s a fuse x 2 (the back washer is separate to the front ones!!!) Not only that the Manual warns you not to get the fuse box wet, Cit’s under the bonnnet for the front wipers!!! In this weather I don’t think I will be changing them. Oh,I too had a faulty boot lock which was quickly rectified.The other thing that I must say is not good is that when I start off from a junction/or onto a roundabout though I put my foot down sometimes it doesn’t pick enough speed up from 1st-3rd gears. It’s been back to the garage twice for that but they can’t find a fault. Scary though. Oh, it eats diesel not sure if I will get diesel again. I would definately get another of these I love it.

Submitted: 2010-01-14 | ID: 37840

Damien, Devon

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI 110 VTR+ 2008

This is a great car, reliable, smooth, Economical, Safe and very Comfortable. Better than any Sharan, Alhambra, 807, Espace or Fiat Ulysse.

Submitted: 2009-11-14 | ID: 37839

Susan Hydes, Essex

Citroen C4 Picasso 2008

Like Mike I am finding the triple vision of oncoming headlights more than annoying now. It’s dangerous and how the staff at the dealership where I bought it can’t see what I see I don’t know. Citroen customer relations deny any reports of this so until anyone else who has this problem but hasn’t reported it actually does so those of us who are increasingly niggled by it will get even more so!!! Other than the problem I have with the screen, I love the car. It is a comfortable car, spacious, economical and does drive smoothly once you get used to the gearbox. Please report this problem if you have it: looking at oncoming traffic at night (when driving in the dark) the further away oncoming vehicles are the worse the problem is. The oncoming headlights are like looking at headlights with a set of illuminated eyebrows above them and from a further distance you can even see another above that one. I would be interested to know how Mike got on with trading standards.

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 37867

Lillian Stewart, County Down

Citroen C4 Picasso 2008

My car is only 6 months old and has a burning smell - more or less since I got it. The brakes failed 2 days ago and also the clutch. Dealer now says I must have been driving with my feet on the clutch. I don’t do this - ever - I have been driving over 20 years. What can the problem be? Please help.

Submitted: 2009-01-16 | ID: 37864

The latest Citroen C4 Picasso) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)