2007 Crafter reviews

19 December 2014

2007 Volkswagen Crafter reviews

Volkswagen Crafter reviews by year of make:2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

John, City of Glasgow

Volkswagen Crafter 2006 - 2014

Just thinking about buying but after reading all these bad reports thinking again its a converted 77000 miles camper any thoughts

Submitted: 2014-10-11 | ID: 104431

Tony Buckley , Essex

Volkswagen Crafter 2006 - 2014

Guys I have owned this crafter since February very reliable 10 times better than tranny it can be sore on juice but does everything asked off it can be squashed for 3 of us in front so farting up front but unable to fault it 28 -30 mpg done 15k in 3 months will Deffo buy another .

Submitted: 2014-05-28 | ID: 96352

Anton, Devon

Volkswagen Crafter 2006 - 2014

I have a Vw Crafter 136bhp 07plate,have had it remapped, dpf & egr removed & lpg conversion, very quick and reliable van, have had it fof 4 years and done 40k now with only brake pads & discs and a prop bearing needed doing, NEVER used VW dealer, just a propper mechanic !

Submitted: 2014-04-29 | ID: 94885

Glen Ogilvie, Scotland

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi. I have a VW Crafter van and have only had it for just over a year now. I got my van back from the VW garage today after a fix to sort the steering lock, as when I put my key in the ignition nothing would happen apart from a flashing light on my dash board of a van with a key inside it. So I got the AA to drop it off on the 10th January 2014. Today I got my van back, but now it has lots of problems: there are 4 lights on the dash board now, the radio as some code on it and the 2 front doors won’t lock. After paying my bill, which was £1020.96 the last thing I needed were more problems. The garage doesn’t know how to fix them and said they would need to get a master technician to come and have a look at it, but its ok for me to drive with all these lights on!? I know one of them is the engine management warning sign, but what happens if a real problem arises and the warning light is one of them that I’ve been told is ok and safe? Surely that’s not right, as it could be dangerous for me to use? But who am I to say that as I’m not a mechanic and don’t know anything about these types of matters, but as far as I believe some warning lights mean get the vehicle seen to right away? I don’t have any more cash, this was out the question and I can’t afford to keep hiring vans as I’m just a man and a van trying to make a living doing small removal jobs etc. I paid £5500 for it on the 29.11.2012. It’s been on the back of AA rescue vehicles 6 times in this space of time. It’s had major fixes including new turbo, timing belt (that bill was £2498!), an £800 gearbox issue, the list goes on and on. Now this. I just can’t take any more I’m in so much debt with this already and now I get hit with this. I bought this van as I couldn’t see past VW as I had owned a few VW cars in the past. I’m at my wits end and losing jobs because of this van.

Hi, feel in the same boat as you. Bought mine 7 months ago 59 plate 71,000 miles on the clock, full VW service history, 2.5 bjk engine. Just been in to local VW garage and was told it needs a new engine, has piston has melted and valve has hole in!!!! Mechanic said that it is due to regenerating for dpf heats the engine too much. Handed me a quote for nearly £11000!!! Straight on to VW as I can’t see how a van with this many miles needs an engine!!!! All they said it’s out of warranty but would give me 5% off parts and 30% off labour!! They wouldn’t even admit they know about the problem even though it’s plastered all over internet that dpf causes the issue... So there is me now paying for a van that is off the road until I can raise some more money!!!! To me they should replace! Wish I never got one, has ruined me, will they sit on there million!? VW customer, we don’t care!!! - Richard Cannon from England

Submitted: 2014-01-29 | ID: 50667

Mark Stuart, Lancashire

Volkswagen Crafter Mob high top 109hp 2007

I think the VW Crafter is a far better van than a Transit. Just the way it drives is better. A big quiet cab that is comfortable and easy to keep clean. I’ve had problems with Transits before, especially with fuel pumps, but so far the Crafter has mainly just had service items at correct mileage intervals. DPF problems have only been the occasional warning lights and having to drive for some distance at 2000 revs in fourth gear to clear warning lights from dash. I only took the Crafter the VW dealer whilst still under warranty, but since the warranty expired I have used a local independent ex VW/Audi mechanic who has all the latest diagnostic equipment. Van now on 80,000 miles and achieving about 23 mpg whilst loaded to maximum weight at all times. The van has some faults, but in my opinion is the best van out of the others on offer.

Unbelievable, you’re happy and yet only getting 23mpg! Man I would be banging on doors. I was gearing up to change my 2000 Transit. It’s a 51 plate 3.5T high roof, lwb @ 90hp and everything on the 180,000 mile engine wise is original except clutch oil and filters. She returns on average 34mpg loaded or half loaded, and I have owned it for 10 years. All I’m reading about the Crafter is BAD fuel economy, dodgy sensors, and some horrendous reports about the DPF. Obviously slating the Ford doesn’t work for me, all your report has done is convince me I’m very lucky and I should either nurse what I have or buy another Ford. Thanks. - Alan Vanbooter from England

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 50639

Jim, Lancashire

Volkswagen Crafter 109 2007

Hi, I bought my Crafter 109 xhi xlwb in Oct 09 with 129000 on the clock. I knew at that milage that there were problems around the corner and bingo 7 wks after purchase the EGR valve failed. But having done 330000 miles I can honestley say it’s been general wear and tear, with most faults listed on the forum. The reason most faults appear is the DPF, it should be taken off production! I travel right across Europe on urgent deliverys and the only time she’s never got me home is getting back on the Channel tunnel train and the clutch went in the semi auto box! £1600 fitted VW Manchester. Service these vans regulary and keep your eyes on warning lights and they will serve you well, as with all vans they are work horses. Cleaned up mine still looks great in the factory Silver and you wouldn’t believe she’s done 333000 miles. Happy driving!

Submitted: 2013-01-13 | ID: 50641

Karl Bartels, Shropshire

Volkswagen Crafter 109 MWB 2007

I bought this van 8 months ago. It is very rusty for an 07 and is so gutless its untrue; on motorway journeys at 70mph I don’t even get 18mpg. I’ve had various new bits, but nothing improves it. It has now also developed an odd whining noise, which I’m thinking may be the turbo? It’s comfortable and nice to drive, but overall very poor. It seems to have been designed to cost the owner money. I also have a 58 plate Caddy 1.9. I have to say this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I won’t go on about it on here, but I will never buy another VW or go near a VW dealer. I had an Iveco before, which was rough and ready and not as comfy, but had a far better engine. I would suggest everyone avoids VW.

Very nice to look at but stay well away from a VW Crafter - Paul Young from England

Submitted: 2012-05-18 | ID: 50644

Trevor Dale, Cambridgeshire

Volkswagen Crafter CR35 2.5 2007

I’ve had this from new and in the first 3 years it has needed the following: 1). Steering rack replaced 2). Vacuum pump replaced 3). Two turbo’s 4). Engine Management System replaced 5). Prop shaft replaced 6). DPF replaced twice 7). Engine manifold replaced 8). Complete new engine 9). I have broken down approximately 10 times with gear box problems 10). Water sensor replaced. And now 11). New instrument panel. £10000 worth of parts and work needed, not including servicing and VW think I was just unlucky!! Plus many more things. All the servicing and work was done by a VW dealer and it has always been limited to 68 MPH and serviced on time. A rubbish vehicle, bad service and bad VW customer service. Don’t buy one!

I totally agree, rubbish. I owned a Sprinter but was forced to sell due to goverment emissions. It was the perfect van just add fuel!! But the Crafter may be a better looking van but it spends more time on the side of the rode with the bonnet up or tracking up and down the M25 trying to switch of DPF light. VERY Eco friendly VW!!!!!! - from

We’ve all those issues also... Can’t believe they are allowed to continue to sell these vehicles. We’ll be contacting Consumer Affairs - from Australia

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 50648

Bill Dowling, Ireland

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

I have 4 crafters. Regrettably these vans are the worst we have ever bought. We purchased ours in the late 06, and early 07. Since the vans completed the first 25000 Kilometers, we have experienced ongoing problems with; DPF filters, brake discs, electronic problems with the engine management, computer softwear problems, back axle seals, keys and locking systems and the list goes on. Our experience with Volkswagen, its dealers and importers into Ireland has been very bad. My decision is we will never deal with this brand again. We will scrap the Crafters, as to try and sell them on to someone else would be unfair to any prospective customer. In summary: The experience with Volkswagen and the Crafters has been a complete disaster from our point of view. I suspect many thousnds more people and companies have had a similar experience.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 50652

Melanie Orr, Australia

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

I have replaced the turbo, steering rack, etc. I’ve had so many problems with this van I will never ever buy a VW car/van again. Now it’s out of warranty and a new problem has occured; the engine light is on and the steering rack needs replacing again! The VW Group are telling me it will cost me $15k to fix. Do not buy a VW Crafter!

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 50634

D Jarmey, Wiltshire

Volkswagen Crafter Luton 130bhp 2007

Wish I’d never heard of Crafter vans. Bought this one from Heritage VW van centre. Lots of silly problems during its use. Then it failed its first MOT on emmisions. It took about 10 weeks of trial and error before they eventually fitted a new engine. Then we had a spate of warning lights causing us to have to keep having to go back to them for help. Now they say it needs a new steering rack (83000miles) at a cost of £1300+. In my opinion they are pretty unreliable to say the very least.

We too will never buy a VW Crafter Van. Nothing but problems - from Australia

Steering racks are a lot cheaper in Mercedes dealer and it’s the same part - from Swansea

Submitted: 2011-07-06 | ID: 50635

Dane, New Zealand

Volkswagen Crafter 50 2007

Hey guys. I brought my Crafter late 2007 and initally I loved it. It’s now 3 and a bit years down the track and I couldn’t count how much has been spent on it. It does high milage has 431402 km on it now and in that time it’s has had 4 turbos, 4 vacuum pumps, the rear differential has been rebuilt twice, it’s had I think 3 steering racks, the wipers now don’t park most of the time and just jump about and also has a major rust problem. It’s gutless, the ecu got wet as it’s behind the headlight and had to be replaced, the a/c blower has been replaced, the list just goes on. I have been fortunate in that the local dealer is very good and they pull parts off new vans to keep me moving and it has only had two days off the road and they have gone to battle with the local importer who has paid for a lot of the work and parts but overall I’m becoming very disappointed with the van and it’s unfortunate that VW have had their reputation tarnished by mostly Merc parts that are total c**p.

My 109PS Oct ’06 167k just started to use a bit of oil. It had a new clutch and flywheel at 110k. I got it from GSF as a kit, I think it was only about £350 for the three bits. Anyway had a dpf problem about six months ago so made the decision to smash the inside out of it (it started to go into limp mode when pulling in high gears and the engine was going into protection mode - glow plug light started to flash). So when I took it off, I noticed that it was breaking up inside and the gasses must have been getting trapped/blocked. Basically I smashed the inside out of it so it’s straight through but with all the sensors still intact. I then paid a mechanic to have a ’patch’ put over the program in the ECU to stop it ever wanting to regenerate. Whilst he did the patch, he did some suttle tweeks with the mapping and I can honestly say what a result. It pulls like a train, and if driven at 65-70 max will do (no bullpoo) 490 miles to the tank as apose to 400 max before work. It sounds better, pulls better and is smoother but it has just started to use a tad of oil. I’ve heard of others just starting to use a drop and i’m just doing my homework on this to see which way to go. Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks - A A from England

Submitted: 2011-03-26 | ID: 50617

John Swales, Yorkshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Our crafter is now four years old having covered only 26k it now needs a new vac pump at a cost of £400. A year ago after a long battle with Benfield van centre it finally received a new steering rack under warranty they tried to fob me off with a b******t story about air in the rack system. It also suffers with a violent judder on the clutch, which again Benfield Van Centre of Stockton were not interested in dealing with whilst the van was under warranty, but now that it’s out of warranty they are prepared to investigate. I took the van to Benfield van centre this morning for a service, whilst talking to a salesman about my experience with our van he practically told me that they were not interested. PLEASE DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR AND DO NOT BUY A CRAFTER, THEY ARE TROUBLE!

I too have an ’09 mwb Crafter with 16,000kms on clock with the same problem plus a lot more. A main dealer has told me in limerick that they found play in the clutch itself also that clutch pedal goes to floor faulty seal. I have never had the misfortune of buying such a piece of rubbish. Anyone thinking of buying VW Crafter, don’t - Martin McLoughlin from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-03-23 | ID: 50615

Sam Collier, Surrey

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

I’ve had a crafter for the past 6 months, good van if being used over long distances, otherwise the dpf is a nightmare. Nobody at VW seems to care about the problem, the only response from the dealer is that it’s a common problem!?!! would not buy another due to many other faults, but have become very friendly with the RAC since I have seen them so much due to recharging the particle filter!

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 50613

Shane Timlin, Yorkshire

Volkswagen Crafter 109 2007

I’ve owned this 20 months. It had only covered 22k when I purchased it. It’s had a new fuse box and two new engines, the first engine had only covered 29k, the second had only covered 17k.. biggest load of c**p I’ve ever bought. All work has been carried out at VW, as cost a small fortune.

Submitted: 2010-12-30 | ID: 50603

Martin Thorz, England

Volkswagen Crafter 88BHP, 35 2007

What a waste of money!!! DPF filter is a disaster, be prepared to either spend thousands of pounds fixing or to drive (or have the driver to drive in my case) in completely opposite directions than your destination so the DPF can be "regenerated"! Driving in London every 7-10 days the light comes on and you need 15 minutes at 60MPH - where are supposed to find stretch of the road to do that? So far going from Northolt to town we end up in High Wycombe on A40! Van is nice, big, comfy etc. but completely unusable in town. I am getting rid of it this month, replacing with MK7 transit (already have one of these - great van) - -no more VWs - ever! Dealers are ignorant b****ds, Southgate manager actually said "telling people to watch out for DPF light would be against our interest, we need vans to break down every now and then" (!) - almost punched him when he said that :)

Here here! I have had problems also with my VW Crafter, the biggest is the DPF, what a nightmare. How can anyone make a van and sell it if it is not supposed to be used for local delivery. We do bouncy castle hire (local delivery), the DPF as been a nightmare. Don’t take to VW, take to Digbys Heywood, Lancashire TEL 01706 360174, they removed the the filter and reprogrammed the ECU LESS THE £300 NOW THE VAN IS FASTER AND MORE ECONOMICAL THAN EVER. VW wanted £1247 to put a new filter in LOL just saved a grand and ended up with a better van - Eddie Daniels from Lancashire

Hi Guys, we got our Crafter on lease, brand new in August 2010 - we’ve had the DPF light come on 6 times now and had VW Assistance carry out a forced regen at the road side. We stuck to what VW have said in the handbook and what the sticker says about if the light appears to drive it "x" for "x". When it came on I drove 100 miles in 4th gear at 2500rpm - guess what? The light stayed on. We got it forced regen again. Last week, I was on the way to the local dealers on the motorway and the engine decided to speed up on its own!! Revs hit max and the speed picked up amazingly fast for a van. I had no choice but to switch the engine off, police towed me to a lay-by, VW Assistance came down and the same happened to him, he forced it to work but when it did it ran ROUGH, which the guy said is most probably injector and valve problems. It’s been in VW for a few days now and they cannot find any faults on their computer. What happened to the old days of getting their hands dirty and actually manually checking parts in the engine? Apart from this, for those of you who would like to put your points across in regards to the DPF systems - drop me an email on contact[at]mazda-campaign[dot]co[dot]uk, all Mazda drivers are having the same problem. I am building up a list and file of all manufacturers so I can put this forward to Watchdog and VOSA, including when my case against Mazda goes to court - Med R from Essex

Hi Eddie, will having this procedure done cause any problems when coming to the van’s MOT? Cheers mate - Paul Stone from England

www.digbys-garage.co.uk - I have taken both my vans to these guys, can’t fault what they do, both vans are now better than ever - Carol Cunniff from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-09-04 | ID: 50623

Terry Williams, England

Volkswagen Crafter cr35 109 2007

We are a courier company running 6 crafter vans, since day one they have been nothing but a pain. We have changed dpf filters, ignition key barrels (one van has had 3 barrels only 110, 000 miles) vacuum pumps, turbos replaced , one has had half a new engine, and various other parts. These vans have spent just as much time off the road as on it. When I complained to Volkswagen they said that they do not sell the vans so not their problem and to speak to the dealer I bought them from. I would but they have gone bust, no surprise there! They also informed me that the drivers were driving them incorrectly when dpf light comes on you should stop what you are doing and then drive continuously at 50 mph for 20 mins.

Hi, there! Sorry to learn that you have problems same as mine. Did you think about taking VW to court? DPF on these is a design fault, they’re completely impractical and should not be in mass production; someone should make the VW pay for all the trouble. My Crafter is actually going this month. Collected it from VW yesterday, another warranty repair : EGR and throttle sensor - 50k miles, about 4 weeks of the road - unbeliveable! Drop me an email, maybe we at least set up a website to warn other poor sods which are thinking of buying... 247gg@btconnect.com Regards - Martin Thorz from England

I’m with you boys, I have had new ECU, new engine and new PDF all at my cost as I missed one service at a cost to me of £6,000, also a new turbo which they paid for and the van had only done 41,000 miles. We all need to get together and force them to sort this poxy van out. The dealer in Plymouth must be avoided - Ian Botterill from Devon

Here, here! I’m just about bankrupt because of this van. Let’s do something about it. This van should be called CRA*TER, made by Mr. Crafty. - Glen Ogilvie from Angus (Forfarshire)

Submitted: 2010-07-13 | ID: 50619

Graeme, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

We run 5 Crafters and would never have another. Loads of problems, DPFs, steering racks, ignition switches that dont read the key, glow plug lights on then goes into limp mode, air flow sensors, agr valves, vw dealers useless, AVOID

Hi, if you ever need dpf filter doing £375 fitted 07831197594 - Paul Malia from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-03-25 | ID: 50586

Alexander Ellison, Yorkshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

This has to be the worst van ever made, it has constant filter problems, does not go 48hrs without a light flashing. Please save your money and buy the Mercedes Sprinter unless you have pots of money to waste, this van is not fit for road use from a guy who has 10 years of transport knowledge.

Submitted: 2010-03-11 | ID: 50588

The latest Volkswagen Crafter) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)