2007 C4 reviews

23 October 2014

2007 Citroen C4 reviews

Citroen C4 reviews by year of make:2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Read all reviews

Steve Wood, Derbyshire

Citroen C4 sx auto 2007

What a bag of rubbish! I’ve had the car one year and had various problems: The gear box went bang, the back shocks needed replacing, the gasket under cam shaft carrier has gone 6 times and a few other problems. Stay clear! The car had 12200 miles when I bought it and now has 25000.

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 37773

Mike Kosloff (Snr), South Africa

Citroen C4 1.6hdi 2007

I purchased a 2007 C4 1.6 hdi with 17000 miles at end of 2010. The bodywork is very good except for the passenger side front mudguard, which keeps coming loose every time the car is used. The glovebox is badly designed for a car like this as it’s pretty shallow and barely holds the handbooks; the real problem is that it jams closed from time to time and is a pig to get open again. The onboard computer cannot for some reason be reprogrammed to indicate l/100km useage. The front indicator lights are a real problem and continually give in and no sooner is one replaced then the other gives up; this has happened on 5 occasions now and is irritating, making me wonder what’s going to be next. Money has been saved in the boot area as well; the spare wheel bounces around all the time causing rattles in the rear. But, and I have to say this, the engine is fabulous, giving up to 54mpg on the open road with incredibly smooth power all the time. For me, you can keep your BMWs and other very expensive cars. I’ve owned Clubs, DS20/5, C5 2.2hdi Estate, Xantia Estate and Xsara 2.0hdi Estate and all have been fantastic. It would be nice if Citroen could just improve their quality a bit more.<span style="white-space: pre;"> </span>

I purchased Citroen C4 hdi vtr +plus from a Vauxhall garage in March 2008 and the service I received was the best I have ever had. I took it into my local Citroen dealer to question a rumble I was getting from the front suspension and a quote for £845.00+vat was given. I booked it into the dealer who I purchased the car from and they only found two of the eight faults. My local Citroen dealer had said it needed urgent attention a front cv rubber boot and a front suspension drop down link. They had the car in at 9.00am in the morning and even sent one of their drivers 20 miles away to the nearest Citroen dealer to get the parts and had it back on the road by 3.00pm the same day. Now that’s service. Citroen dealers are rubbish in every way. I phoned the Citroen dealer and explained everything and was told their technicians look for ways to make extra money because they’re instructed to do by management. That’s out of order. My Citroen C4 is fantastic, economical, comfy, and practical. Avoid Citroen dealers if you can - Mark F from England

The Citroen dealer you phoned TOLD YOU their technicians are told to be dishonest? Really, or are you fibbing a bit? - Steve RatPatrol from Australia

Submitted: 2011-07-08 | ID: 37736

Danny Bill, Renfrewshire

Citroen C4 EGS HDI VTR 2007

Purchased car with 300mls on clock and 3yrs warranty, fully serviced to date. A problem with the actuator on gearbox was fixed under warranty. Recently the engine started revving, rev dial going through the six gears, resulting in clutches burned out. Has done 37000mls and won’t be 4yrs old till March. Expected car to be more reliable. No give and take with garage £1,100 approx to fix clutches.

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 37760

Steve Livingston, Malta

Citroen C4 1.4 SX 2007

I am usually extremely biased in favour of cars I buy - however, this bloody thing was a big mistake. Quality issues with the cabin, problems with the electronic child lock (won’t lock at all), oil pressure issues and today it broke down for the second time. The latest issue seems to be the engine management computer. I was stupid enough, like with a few ex-girlfriends, to go for good looks. Never again!!!! I have ordered the wife to punch me if I ever look at Citroen again.

I would avoid Arnold Clark where I bought mine. Had NOTHING but problems since day 1 with this car. ITS A HEAP!!! I feel your pain, Regards - Shaun Gibson from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

My son and daughter in law bought a C4 and it has been the most expensive mistake they have ever made. The car was not very old when they bought it, and within a couple of months the engine management system kept failing, cutting the engine down to idle when driving, and oil pressure light kept giving warnings. They took it to a Citroen specialist, who took it apart and charged £1,200. Then a couple of months later, it happened again with the engine management system. We went to another garage to see if they knew what was going on, they did huge amount of work and cost another £1,100. It ran ok for the next couple of months, then the electrics burnt out and is now in garage to have that sorted for another few hundred. Citroen have a lot to answer for with these piles of junk. My son is now going to sell it as soon as is out of garage and running again. He will never buy another Citroen - Gail Richard from England

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 37744

Ian Galstaun, England

Citroen C4 Coupe 2007

I bought this car about three months ago after reading all the reviews. It has always had problems squeaky brakes/Oil leaking out from the air valves/rear seats won’t lock/glove section sticks. Have taken it back to warranty twice but the problems still exits, took it back to part exchange for another model but was getting such a raw deal that I will never buy a Citroen car again.

Submitted: 2010-09-27 | ID: 37741

B Ross, Somerset

Citroen C4 2007

Had the car about a month now, did have to go back for a warranty issue; boot handle replacement. Boot would unlock when doors opened, a known fault microswitch. I purchased from a dealer with 12 month waranty. I intended to change car or extened warranty in a years time so far very good lots of toys. MPG about 32 around town much better on the run. ; )<br /><br />

I have a similar problem with the boot that kewpt unlocking on its own but now will not unlock at all. I also have found that it seems to have a lot of road rumble which on reading these reports should not be happening. This is still under warranty and I now intend to take it in. Thanks for your review, it has helped identify that this problem is not unusual. My C4 vtr is 09 reg - Arlene Mack from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-09-18 | ID: 37753

Don Williams, Sussex

Citroen C4 Exlusive 2007

Bought it with 5k on speedo and it is superb - fast a bit thirsty about 32-36mpg the cruise control works well use it all the time it has the tiptronic gear box (think that’s what it’s called), plenty of room and has masses of extras. I am trading it Sept 10 for a new C3 diesel airdream, but will be sorry to see the C4 go.

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 37748

Gary Murray, England

Citroen C4 Hatchback 2007

Bought second hand. A good runner, giving reasonable mileage, c.48mpg at 65mph. Cruise control sometimes indicates "service" but just a quick flick of the Clutch and/or Accelerator micro-switches cures this. Somewhat under-powered I think, as pulling off in 1st frequently gives horrendous judder throughout the chassis, but this disappears when the fuel gauge shows half full. MAJOR BUGBEAR: Unlike most cars the spare wheel is secured by a strap, not a butterfly nut/bolt. The strap comes loose, leading to an almighty thump from the spare jumping up and down when negotiating speed bumps etc.

Submitted: 2010-05-18 | ID: 37719

Gareth Higginbotham, Conwy

Citroen C4 VTR+ 2007

I used to love my car. Very agile and manoeuvrable. The automatic lights and wipers work wonderfully well. Cruise control and speed limiter are superb features that I use a great deal. The fixed hub is brilliant- you know where the controls are! BUT my cruise control/speed limiter has started cutting out and, when it does so, the engine goes into some sort of ’safe’ mode where the revs are limited. Face even a gentle motorway hill and you could be down to 45itmph very quickly!! (The fault rights itself every time you turn off the engine, but only for another few miles - if you’re lucky.) As other reviewers say, Citroen can’t solve this problem. My car has been to Slaters in Abergele 3 times and there has been no improvement. DON’T BUY THIS CAR. Once it develops this fault, you’ll have to rush out and buy another car. Registered dealers can’t repair it and you dare not drive a car whose power will suddenly reduce without warning.

Hi, it couldn’t be due an eloys fluid topup could it? I had a c5 with exactly the same symptoms. Basically eloys is injected into the Exhaust Cat from time to time to burn off the impurities it catches. At around 70000 my C5 started having no power on hills, basically the turbo cut out or rather was cut out by the ECU as it hadn’t been able to clear the pollutants in the exhaust as the eloys needed topping up - Simon Brue from Lancashire

UPDATE: I was hasty in writing my earlier review. Slaters have repaired the car - under the guarantee - and it is as good as new. Well done, Slaters of Abergele, for successfully undertaking a repair that, judging by other reviews, many garages cannot manage. I love my C4 again. When I thought I’d have to change my car and looked for a replacement, I could not find anything in the same price range that had nearly such a good specification. Competing salesmen would boast all sorts of features on their cars, and I would think "my C4 has that - and more". The digital speedo is excellent and the speed limiter is even more useful than the cruise control. Set it and you can’t break that speed limit or set off that speed camera no matter how hard you try (well - for safety, you can if you put pedal to metal). I hope to drive this car for many more miles yet. When I do change, it will almost certainly be to another C4. And Slaters of Abergele is the place I’ll be going to do my buying and my servicing - Garth Higginbotham from Conwy

Did you find out how they fixed it ? I have a problem with the cruise control where occasionally I will get a "speed control" warning flash up on the display. It’s never gone into limp home mode as a result although I have had that happen when the depolution warning light has come on once or twice. Luckily that was when I was parked. If you can tell us what the problem was and how they solved it you might be helping a lot of C4 owners :) - Saul Hudson from Hertfordshire

Much the same on my 2010,8000 ml Citroen vtr C4 1.6 auto; intermittant fault on gearbox, no warnin lights any gear any speed it just starts shaking not unlike wheel balance problem but lasts 1 or 2 minutes but if I brake or accelerate it disappears. Has been back to Lookers Blackpool 3 times now, they said take a note of the milage when it happens because they can trace the "fault" back on the computer. I’ll give it a month of testing then they can have it back period! - Jim McKernan from England

Submitted: 2010-05-12 | ID: 37721

Chris, Warwickshire

Citroen C4 1.6 sx 2007

Had it 1 month, been to garage 3 times, says it all really.

Submitted: 2010-01-02 | ID: 37734

Roy Atwell, Berkshire

Citroen C4 1.6 D Cool 2007

My first C4 had a catalogue of problems too long to list, but with a leap of faith I was given a good deal to change to a new one last year (a 5 door diesel instead of my previous coupe). The only issue I have had with my current C4 is some early driver’s seat wear (the driver’s seat fabric was replaced without argument). The car is 100% reliable mechanically and my mpg averages around 53. It is extremely quiet and comfortable on motorways and around town and whilst not as eye-catching as the coupe it is more practical. The cruise control works fine as do all the electrics and I have covered over 30,000 miles so far. The glove box has only stuck once but anyone who has previously owned a C4 might know a carefully aimed whack underneath the glove box releases it! Overall, I can forgive such things as it is such a good all-round car and is still something different with a unique dashboard layout.

Submitted: 2008-09-30 | ID: 37794

Chris Beck, Kent

Citroen C4 VTR+ 2Litre 2007

Had the car now for just over a year. Love the looks and the engine which is very quick. The little innovations such as the air freshener in the vents is a nice touch. Overall it is a very nice car, but... firstly I developed a rattle from the boot lid, not major but very annoying. Then the glove box lid became stuck and would not open. Also, drivers side rear brake light had gone out. All 3 I got fixed under warranty. Then when it came back, the wiring in the glove box was left out and then my reverse lights became stuck on. Along with this, my rear wiper stayed stuck on the intermittent setting when the front wipers were put on. Nothing major but very annoying on a car that’s only a year old. Now the rear brakes have developed an unnerving rubbing sound and my boot lid latch has become stuck. Oh, and also the rear seats seem to not want to lock into place. Another trip to the dealer would sort that out. But don’t let these niggles put you off what is apparently a very good car according to a number of reviews. Just be wary when buying. I must admit, I have put in an order for a Golf R32 as I will not buy French again.

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 37795

Richard Graham, Gloucestershire

Citroen C4 1.6 hdi 2007

Car completely faultless in 10,000 miles, the only gripe is the un-Citroen like ride.

Submitted: 2008-05-16 | ID: 37798

Vinny Smith, Derbyshire

Citroen C4 1.4 SX 2007

Recently leased a 1.4 SX for my wife. Best small car in the market bar none. Great value for money and has all the mod cons of higher spec cars that cost much more. The drive is really smooth and the fual economy is excellent. It fits a baby seat in the back and pram in the boot no problem. Insurance is now a lot cheaper for us. The best feature it has is that when the car comes to a stop all the doors automaticly lock for security with a small button to disable. Great for single women at night. Well done Citroen..........

Submitted: 2007-10-19 | ID: 37786

The latest Citroen C4) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)