2006 Zafira reviews

25 October 2014

2006 Vauxhall Zafira reviews

Vauxhall Zafira reviews by year of make:1997 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

Christopher ward, East Riding of Yorkshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2005 - 2014

I'm having trouble with my auto gearbox it is bad changing gear and very erratic and when I let my foot of the gas a bit it will change its a 1.9 6 speed auto 2009 59 plate with 39,000 miles it's been like this since I bought it when it had 21,000 on clock I've had it in for servicing and mots and told them and they've not found the problem

Submitted: 2014-09-19 | ID: 103330

Helen, South Yorkshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2005 - 2014

Had this Zafira Exclusive 1600, 2011 model for three weeks, it's good to drive and very spacious. although we have found the storage space lacking and only one cup holder in the front! Am also disappointed that there is not seat belt recognition on the front passenger seat. On a drive to London we found the indicators very sensitive and the right hand indicator does not always cancel itself, very confusing when driving on the motorway. Been told that we are being too heavy handed but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? Also, we do not like the lack of spare tyre, what happens if the tyre splits? There is a VERY noticeable lack of power when the air conditioning is switched on, not good when travelling in hilly areas. THIS IS A VERY BASIC CAR - we have previously owned Vauxhalls and been very happy with them, it's early days with this one so we shall see.

Submitted: 2014-08-02 | ID: 100761

jane, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Zafira 2005 - 2014

ed this car a 5 well im hoping it is got 1 coming on friday hope i have done the right thing after reading these comments i have had my 04 astra from new its never let me down brill car i hope i can say the same for the zafira in 10 years time my astra as been passed down to family as its very reliable keep up the good work vauxhall

Submitted: 2014-05-15 | ID: 95533

Briiya, Essex

Vauxhall Zafira 2005 - 2014

Hey guys I have a Vauxhall Zafira 2006. Asides from the poor quality of internal trimmings I have no complaints. I have been told the head gasket needs replacing and was wondering if any one has had this done and roughly how much it should cost? Thanks for your time BRIIYA

Submitted: 2014-05-12 | ID: 95419

Stella, Hampshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

My daughter and her partner bought a Zafira from a local garage in Aldershot eight months ago along with an extra £700 warranty. Last week she was stopped by the Police who advised her that the left break light flickering and as they felt this was just not a replacement bulb she needed she and had to get it to a garage within 14 days to get the problem fixed. She took it to an independent garage who we have used for years who advised her to take the car straight back to the garage she bought this from as there was water ingress back and front. The garage has said that this is not covered under the Warranty and the cost of putting this right is going to be at least £2000! They have had this car only 8 months and I would like to know if there is anyone else who has had this problem with their Zafira?

Submitted: 2014-02-06 | ID: 50428

Pete, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Zafira SRi 1.8vvt 2006

I have a SRi 1.8vvt 2006 Zafira, which has had problems with the exhaust and the coil pack going. It would not read the key so the part in the steering column that should do this was replaced, also the aerial was replaced as there was no signal. The window was letting in air and water and it also had clutch plate problems. All these problems were sorted under Network Q’s warranty without hassle. Good customer service and they supplied a courtesy car when ever needed.

Submitted: 2012-08-06 | ID: 50369

Raj, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

I can’t say it’s been plain sailing with my Zafira. I’ve had a few issues with the DPF so I had to get it replaced and found an after market one for £375, when Vauxhall had wanted £1000. What a joke! The EGR has been changed once and the alternator has also been changed once, which seems to replicate what everyone else has been experiencing. A nice car, but just littered with problems.

Get rid of it quickly. We’ve had everything done and today thought it was gonna blow up with no warning light. The worst I’ve car ever had and the dearest - Zoe Smith from England

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 50400

Jason Harrison, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 life 2006

I have a Zafira diesel 1.9 life and have had it for about 2 months. I had to have the DPF changed costing me £1800 and after only a month the DPF warning light has come on so I’ll have to make an unscheduled trip down the motorway and looks like this will be a regular thing, as the car is for school/shopping etc. Also it is poor on MPG and consumes a lot of oil. Apart from a good, smooth drive I would not recommend this car at all.

Submitted: 2012-02-06 | ID: 50394

Karl Peacock, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

Just watch out for the DFP going as mine did at 80,000. How to tell it’s going? When you let the revs off it makes a grinding noise, then when you put the revs on again the noise goes. It’s not very cheap  at £715 for a reconditioned one fitted!

I have just fitted a clutch & dual mass flywheel to 1.9 jtd (fiat engine - what a nasty combination). The car has covered less than 50k, German engineering & styling huh, what a sorry mish-mash. Real drivers would NOT be seen to dead in such overpriced "automotive excrement"! Elecrtrics, build quality, transmissions, fuel, cooling & engines are all SH*TE! No wonder GM are bankrupt. What a waste of sheet metal, plastics and glass. No wonder the Japs are laughing - Tom Haggerty from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2012-01-28 | ID: 50398

Pamela Le Seelleur, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2ltr Diesel 2006

My car is a Vauxhall Zafira Diesel 2ltr and is less than 6 years old, but has just had to have it’s 2nd alternator fitted after doing less than 30,000 miles. This shouldn’t have happened and has caused me great expense and inconvenience. Vauxhall customer care has been totally unhelpful. I certainly would NOT recommend anyone purchasing a Vauxhall vehicle based on my bad experience!

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 50387

Phil Allsop, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Petrol 2006

I have owned this car for 4 years and it is now on 60,009 miles. It is the worst car I’ve ever owned. It drinks oil and has poor MPG. The new parts fitted so far are: discs, x2 Lamba sensors, the cylinder head, gaskets and bolts, the M.A.F. sensor and the exhaust manifold/catalitic convertor. It has also required a reprogramming of the E.C.U. and the heater only works on No.4. I will never buy a Vauxhall again! I had to place a 1 star rating because there was nothing lower, but a -10 rating would be more fitting!

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 50390

Daz E, Cheshire

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

This has got to be the worst piece of rubbish I’ve ever owned in my life. My engine had done just 52k and was well looked after with full regulat services and cleaning then BANG! The engine has almost chopped itself in half. This comes after a new ECU set, sensors for god knows everything, the EGR valve replaced, repaired, plated up, tech diagnostics etc. Don’t ever buy a Vauxhall if you dont want to spend another 10k repairing it every week. oh I forgot to mention the fuel relay issues including having to bypass its earth since it decided to cut out at 85deg for no reason. I hate these cars so much i’ll never buy a Vauxhall again.

Hi Daz, I got a 1.9 diesel 2007 reg over a year ago with a genuine 14000 on the clock. About 5 months later we noticed it was not as responsive. I think flat is the word, gradually getting worse until it packed in. AA came and knew exactly what it was, the EGR valve! He blanked it off and I left it at my local Vauxhall garage. The EGR was replaced everything was fine for a year. Guess what! it started doing it again this month. The garage gave it a diagnostic, and said it was the DPR pipe was split. Fitted a new one, told me it was 85% cleared and told me to give it a good run at 2,600 revz for about half an hour. This I did. Guess what! Engine management light on the very next day. Took it back, still there waiting for a response they think its the EGR!! They then tell me it needs a regular burn out to clear the soot build up in the EGR. Absolutely crap, I will never have another Vauxhall diesel. As a family car it’s OK, sliding rear seat could do with being split. However I don’t relish this happening every year, and costing me the price of the valve! I’ll have to consider changing it methinks! ...... - Pissed off Pete Couch from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 50419

Allen Harvey, Sweden

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9cdti 150bhp 2006

I have owned my Zafira from new since Oct 2006. The honeymoon soon ended after just a few months. In the first two years the EGR valve and alternator had to be replaced. Recently the starter motor and now somethig serious is wrong with the DMF flywheel judging by the vibes from the steering wheel. The car was in the Opel garage for 3 days and they couldn’t diagnose the problem. The car has only done 89k miles with full Opel Garage servicing. I’m very unhappy with the overall build quality and I would warn anyone to stay away from diesel engine, especially 150bhp models. The paintwork is bubbling under driver’s sill now too! Shame, because it drives and behaves lovely (when working) for a 7 seater Soccer Mom Bus. Please stay away from diesel engines, they will break your heart and your wallet.

Submitted: 2011-08-03 | ID: 50409

Darren Mitchell, Northumberland

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9ctdi 2006

I bought this car with 18k on clock and it now has 116k and maintenance is starting to cost! It’s had a new inlet manifold costing £1000, egr valves at £180 each, the condenser £450 on the air con and I’m now just about to change timing belt costing a further £250. All in all I have probably spent nearly £2k on fixing all these problems. I do a lot of motorway miles and it is comfy, fast and good to drive, but it is just not reliable enough. Would I have another? Probably not. It needs to be a bit more robust in the engine department! I feel this lets Vauxhall down.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 50245

Bashir Shaukat, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 cdti Design 2006

I bought a Zafira because my wife needed a 7 seater for our 4+2 family car. I bought one second hand with 80,000 miles with full service history. Soon realised, it was a mistake, DPF problem, fly wheel plus clutch kit, starter motor, central locking, windows wouldn’t open are the only problems found during 20,000 miles. Got everything fixed by a specialist mechanic who knew all the usual Vauxhall issues. Had it chipped and the fuel figures have improved dramatically from 38mpg to 48mpg on a combined cycle, which is not bad but it’s always an unknown issue to surprise you every so often. Would I buy another one? NO!

Submitted: 2011-07-04 | ID: 50243

Gordon Kennedy, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTI 2006

Bought the car (Feb 06) new and followed good driver practise by getting services and recommended belt changes done on time. Mileage now (May 2011) 262,000. One Turbo at 213,000, recently had EGR cleaned out. Average MPG 48. I do a lot of motorway miles in sixth gear at 2000 RPM. Respect and care for the car and it will reward you with reliability.

Submitted: 2011-05-21 | ID: 50263

Karen Peacock, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Zafira SRi 2006

I have gave this car a star rating of 1 only because you don’y have the facility for a zero. This has been the biggest waste of money that you could possibly buy. Do not touch this car with a barge pole. This car is now onto its 3rd alternator, the diesel particulate filter had to be replaced, the engine failed, the rear door got stuck and would not open. The central locking failed and needed to be completely replaced oh and its also a guzzler of diesel. So much for a good old British made car, it’s foreign all the way for me now.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 50250

Lawrence Springings, England

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 2006

Nightmare car! Familiar story.....In the last year it has been back to the garage 6 times. New EGR valve, turbo, radiator, alternator, DPF etc. Total cost of repairs 4K. All this from a 3 year old car!. Broken down 4 seperate times. We can’t bare to drive it not knowing when it is going to fail next. The DPF was replaced at Christmas, 10 weeks later we are towed back to the garage and the new one is apparently blocked. How is this possible in 10 weeks?? The family car that is not for local driving, what a joke. Do not go anywhere near it!!!!!

Submitted: 2011-03-20 | ID: 50251

Andy Upton, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

I have a Zafira SRI diesel, (150psi) which was just under 3 yrs old when I bought it. Took it to Scotland on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed the performance and made Inverness on 1 tank which was pleasing. However, I had just had over 1 yr when I noticed a drop in power. Someone at work used his computer and diagnosed a problem with the dpf which is part of the exhaust and suggested thrashing it up and down the motorway for 30mins. Booked it in to local garage anyway and attempted to clear it on the local M5 but it died. Had to be towed to garage who thought they may be able to "regenerate" the exhaust but it was too badly blocked. New dpf, £800 fitted. Stilldidn’t feel right and engine management light came back on. Back to garage! The back pressure from the blocked filter apparently blew the swirl valves on the inlet manifold which can’t be repaired and the replacement, £500 fitted. They couldn’t get the engine management light to go out and had to take it to a Vauxhall specialist for a Technician to look at. Bacause the dpf and inlet manifold had been replaced the ecu had to be remapped. This highlighted a fault on the egr valve, new valve and remap? £400! I am now led to believe this is a common problem now coming to light on the model. My recommendation, unless you do A LOT of motorway work, don’t buy one. 6 months later, last Thursday evening on the way home from work, faint burning smell and slight whistle, then BANG! Still waiting for garage report but, the man from the AA noted the slackness in the cambelt so, either it’s snapped or a cog broken or both! Dread to think what it’ll cost this time but it’s history once it’s up and running!

Submitted: 2011-02-17 | ID: 50282

Tony Knight, Essex

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 active a/c 2006

I bought my Zafira new in 2006 and I would have to say there were some initial build problems with it. The demist flap did not work, which meant the entire dash had to be removed. A sensor on the exhaust manifold was faulty making the engine run rough and the clutch and flywheel was replaced under warranty due to severe judder. These problems were dealt with by the dealer in Brentwood in 2006 and since then the car has run brilliantly and returns high 40s mpg on a long run. It has done 25000 miles and I have just changed the tyres. I would recommend the 1.6 engine if you do mainly town work and short journeys, it is quite a refined engine and you won’t have the problem of EGR valves clogging.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-10-22 | ID: 50337

Lorraine, Ireland

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

Bought 2nd hand in March 2008. Within a few weeks a spring coil had gone in the engine. Had it fixed under warranty. Has been driving away perfect since until this week. Starter motor went in it, cost £250 to replace and have now been told that there is power steering fluid leaking and that the steering rack will have to be replaced at a cost of anything between £800 - £1,000. Am beginning to wonder should I trade it in but I love the car, despite there being very little boot space.

I also had a leak of steering fluid and I had to have steering rack replaced at a cost of£860. Warning light came on for ten minutes and then never flashed again. If you look in the service book it says just to ignore this if this happens. I just happened to notice marks on the driveway 3 weeks later - from Renfrewshire

Hi Lorraine. Just bought a 2006 Zafira last week and have had power steering trouble from the day after I bought it :-( There is a leak in the power steering line somewhere but the garage can find no sign of it. The power steering only fails on start up in the cold and then is fine for the rest of the day upon driving. Can I ask if you got yours fixed and what did it turn out to be, also how much is it to fix. I have also been advised that a power steering pump could be as much as £1000 to fix! Thanks - from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-10-02 | ID: 50344

Bob Porritt, England

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI SRi 2006

I have had three Zafiras now but this latest one has problems similar to that already reported. The salesmen do not tell you about the inherent problems but it is worth noting that whilst my first two zafiras had the 120 engine the SRi has the 150 engine. I still work part time and thought top of the range this will do for me. Although I do use local motorways it is not usually for the lengths of time needed to service the EGR valve and DPF. I two have had two each of the aforementioned replaced albeit under warranty. I had the car serviced and MOT just before it was three years old otherwise it would have cost me £280 for an EGR valve. I took out extra years warranty for £280 just in case. I am now looking for another zafira with 120 engine as I still believe in the car. Also bear in mind on any make of car or model that a car with the 150 engine is usually badged on the rear with the Ti in RED!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-08 | ID: 50290

Raz, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

I will NEVER EVER buy another Vaxuhall. This car has cut out on me three times on the motorway, in which one of them was a very dangerous situation. I’ve only had the car a year and half with 52,000miles (2006 reg). I’ve taken it to three different garages, including Vaxhaull but still no joy. This problem only seems to happen on the motorway and not driving locally. Any help would be appreciated.

I am having the same problem as you, had a diagnostics check done, it showed a few minor errors but then cancelled them out. The car still has this problem. Have heard it could be EGR Valve and throtle body needing cleaned or the idle control valve? I hope this helps. If you get it sorted could you please let me know as it is driving me mad. My email address is derry0178 [at] yahoo.co.uk/ Cheers, - Derry Hunter from England

My Zafira has also been cutting out on the motorway, which has been very dangerous. It is also now starting to cut out around town. Most times I get the car and spanner lit on the dash, but sometimes I get the engine symbol and fault codes P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204 or a combination of these. I am first going to look at the battery earth connections - Terry Reynolds from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2010-08-31 | ID: 50284

P Field, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 life ac 2006

Had high hopes, but heater blower stopped working on 1-2-3 settings. Gear shifting hard work and heavy clutch. Quite a bit of road noise makes you turn up the radio really loud. Not very roomy up front, lots of space in the back. Now selling the car and will be pleased to see it go.

Submitted: 2010-08-26 | ID: 50298

Marc, Cumberland

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 cdti(120bhp) 2006

Having read some of the other reviews it seems that I have got away relatively lightly. The car was 15 months old when bought and for the first 8 months of ownership everything was hunky dory,then the engine started surging while holding the car on a constant throttle. Into the dealers it went "That will be the EGR valve",said the man "it’s a known problem". EGR valve replaced under warranty all ok again. Got an invite to take out a networkQ extended warranty, oh boy am I glad I did, alternator gave up the ghost, extended warranty paid for itself in one fell swoop. Near side rear coil spring snapped not covered by warranty £253 later new springs fitted, EGR valve on it’s way out again, dealer tried to get away with just giving it a software update probably in the hope that I would go away and stop bothering them. Car booked in to get EGR replaced AGAIN and then this dog is going to the pound, trading in against anything that doesn’t have a Vauxhall badge on it, any recomendations?.

Submitted: 2010-08-26 | ID: 50297

Joanne James, Wales

Vauxhall Zafira design 2.0 dti 2006

I have had my Vauxhall for just over a month now and 3 times I have had problems with engine management lights, loss of power been told egr valve is faulty having it replaced at car dealers expense. After reading comments on website I am now terrified to drive. I have 3 children and take others out in car, bought a bigger car for this purpose. Should have kept my old one T Reg Renault had spent so much on it thought 4,000 on new car would get me something reliable. Have I been sold a deathtrap? Can any one instill any faith in Vauxhall?

Hi there, I had a Zafira that did the same thing, the garage couldn’t find a fault so they gave me my money back. Then my friend’s Dad, who is a mechanic, says - if you drill a hole in the manifold it fixes the problem as he has done this before, but I don’t have mine to try it now. Hope this helps - Laura Slavin from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-08-24 | ID: 50303

Steve F, England

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI 2006

Try and avoid 1.9CDTI Zafira at all cost, within the last month 1 new turbo (£1200) and now DPF (£900), for a car 4 years old it’s not good enough, you have to give the car 25 mile run when the engine spanner light comes on, is this DPF considered good for emissions?, Bought the car for my wife 3.5 years ago, actually not been too bad until now! Had it serviced every year, the problem is ME; I thought the 1.9 CDTI was a good engine, OH NO, not if your wife is doing school runs. Vauxhall should ask how many miles you aim to do a year, when your response is about 6K, they should then turn and say this car is not for you, a 1.8 petrol would suit. Looks like fix it then back to petrol engines. Oh I have an Audi Q7 brilliant cars, no faults except their tyres.<br /><br />

This review is spot on. Mine is a 50,000 mile 1.9 (150) cdti mostly used for short runs and the emissions system is nothing but trouble. Every three months, I have to clean the egr valve and drive 25 miles at 4500 revs - not acceptable for a modern engined four year old car. Together with alternator failure and power steering failure, I will never buy a Vauxhall again and will buy a petrol engine as if you read the forums most manufacturers have the same problem with diesels doing short trips - M L from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 50295

Suhail Carim, Fife and Kinross Shires

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 LIFE A/C 2006

A perfect family car, we’ve never had any problems and we are now changing it for 2007 1.8 Tiptronic.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 50318

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9cdti (150bhp) 2006

See previous reviews dated 24.05.10 & 25.05.2010, the Zafira has lasted only six weeks and its broken down yet again, same trouble as before yet I followed the garage & Vauxhall customer cares instructions fully. Each week I drove it down the M20 for 40 miles at 70 mph, this still didn’t stop the engine management light coming on inbetween time. Last week it came on and after 65 miles on the M25 it remained on as well as losing power down to 30 mph. WORD OF WARNING TO ALL, when I had the car repaired previously, there was a back order on DPF’s and none was available in the country for seven weeks, I paid and had fitted a none Vauxhall part for £540, this is not covered under warranty and I will have to pay another £980 for a new DPF. I phoned the Executive Support Manager on 08450902051 who stated "there’s not an issue with the DPF". I, and the other drivers of Vauxhall diesel engine cars who experience this continual problem are not the right drivers for them and therefore cannot help me. Although I said I would not buy another Vauxhall. To buy another new 7 seater car other than a Zafira I will have to part with in excess of £15,000 plus my car, Vauxhall seem to have me over a barrel, it will cost me £7000 plus my car for a petrol 18i Comfort. Before I commit, does anyone know of any problems with the petrol 18i. I am totally gutted to give Vauxhall any more of my money.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 50317

Vauxhall Zafira SRi 2006

It’s such a shame that we are mostly suffering the same problems with this car, if you read my reviews below you will see the problems I have encountered, its back on the road now at a cost of just over £3,000. But how much longer will it be before its off the road again. Why, in this modern day can a manufacturer as large as Vauxhall/Opel, get away without making any positive response to the problems we are having to endure? This now surely warrants TV/radio coverage from the 101 reviews now listed here at the time of writing. Has any one got any experience on how to raise these questions to the media so that these faults are highlighted. This is only one site for people to write their concerns, so there must be many more problems being brought to others attention. Leave a response if you are interested in your problems being highlighted to the media and hopefully Vauxhall can respond to these matters being raised. Only then do I see Vauxhall having to answer our problems which are costing the likes of me and you, money on a vehicle which is not reliable and fit for purpose. Look forward to your response.

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 50193

Vauxhall Zafira CDTI 1.9 (150BHP) 2006

Finally got my car back on the 15th May, it’s been with the garage since the 9th April, (SEE MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS, 24.04.10). Non Vauxhall part DPF as none were available in this country, cost £400, new ERG, new Manifold, new exhaust as it could not be removed to replace the DPF, diagnostic check and full service, total cost to me £1432.00, this was cheaper than their normal cost as some of the work was carried out at trade price, Vauxhall as a good will gesture paid £472.00. Guess what; its back at the garage after one week, excessive smoke when pulling away from stationary position, can’t see out the rear window sometimes, the garage says it can’t find anything wrong with it as it seems to be an intermittent fault. I feel i have no other option than to look for another car as i have no faith in the lasting ability of my Zafira. It will not be a Vauxhall.

OMG, had the DPF pipe replaced just 3 months ago. Broke down yesterday and AA man said he thought it was the EGR valve, took it to garage and had that replaced at £235 but the mechanic said that the car still wasn’t right and thought that it was the DPF and would be expensive to repair. What a nightmare, have I got all this to look foward to with no spare parts in the country? Were you able to get a courtesy car? - S Wells from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2010-05-24 | ID: 50175

Suzanne Martin, Lancashire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTi Design (Diesel) 2006

Always had older cars, bought this 1 year ago just out of warranty. Gave it to my husband to use thinking it was most relieable car now and I kept an old P reg car. Lost power going up hill, towed to Vauxhall Garage, EGR valve gone, not got any in stock ’til 10th May (about 4 weeks ahead) I found one in neighbouring town, fitted £400. Next? Garage rang Diesel Particle Filter gone as well, cost between £700-£900 for part plus labour but only one garage in country prepared to release one of these parts, down south, bank holiday weekend. Seems big problem with this fault!!! Fixed after forever, VAUXHALL OFFERED TO PAY £450 towards costs??? I wonder why??? Got car back, alternator went within 2 days £300, now engine lights keep coming on - don’t buy one!

I have all these same problems with mine. How did you go about getting Vauxhall to give you the goodwill money?? I am still awaiting replies from my e mails!! - Gary Thomas from Lancashire

It has been the same for me. It has been in 8 times, what a pile of rubbish, would never buy a Vauxhall ever again - Javed Akhtar from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-05-18 | ID: 50179

Ian Wagstaffe, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Zafira 19 cdti 150 2006

Bought a Zafira 19 cdti 150 2006 12 month old, good car at the time as I have a caravan. Had new egr valve fitted last May 2009 on warranty got it back engine managment light came on 2 days later, computor said dp filter, got car back day later everthing fine but then comes on dash coolent level low. Lifted bonnet and it’s fine. Now my car’s out of warranty so I rang the garage to see if the part was still under warranty as it was less than 12 months old, they told me they didn’t put one on anyway, just rebooted the cars software. Now they want a 1000 pound to repair it, didn’t tell me when I bought it that it’s only good for motorway miles.

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 50157

Vauxhall Zafira CDTI 1.9 (150BHP) 2006

Bought the car new in Sept 06, only done 5,000 miles when engine management light came on followed by loss of power, took it to local dealership who serviced it at a cost of £154.00; Vauxhall’s customer service said this wasn’t under warranty so I had to pay. EML came on again at 1,5142 miles this time it was the EGR which had to be replaced (under warranty). EML came on again at 26,805 miles, EGR replaced again as well as split hose? (under warranty). The warranty expired in Sept 09, in March 2010 at 35,000 miles the indicator for the alternater comes on, as it was a Friday evening I asked the dealership if the battery would last the weekend, yes was the answer, within a short time while driving all the lights came on, had a devil of a job controlling it with no power steering, AA to the rescue, towed to dealership, cost of new alternater £491.00. April 2010 EML on yet again at 35,358 miles, AA towed to dealership, paid £110.00 for diagnostic check which said it needed a new manifold £1200.00, still wouldn’t go, now it needs a new DPF £980.00 but as the exhaust is a bit rusty I may need a new one of them as well, the cost to put it back on the road isn’t finished yet. Vauxhall customer services say as a GOOD WILL GESTURE they will pay 70% of the cost of the manifold but nothing else. It is a disgraceful state of affairs when buying a diesel Zafira that you are not told that you are the wrong kind of driver for a Zafira if you only drive locally. The dealerships only tell you that you need to take the car on a motorway for at least 30 miles a week to clear the DPF after you buy it, where is the economy and environmentally friendly use of this car? It spends weeks every year in garages waiting for back order parts and me borrowing friends cars or renting hire vehicles. I still haven’t got it back after nearly three weeks. Avoid diesel Zafiras at all costs.<br /><br />

We have had our Zafira for 3 years with no bother at all and very unusual to be on a motorway but used everyday. Great for kids getting in and out and easy on diesel - Kathleen Corr from County Fermanagh

I am currently having the same problem as you mate. We had our DPF replaced last June (09) and that was done under warranty. Last month in april it failed again, this time they want us to pay for it. After discount they want £950!!! we have been without our car for 5 weeks as they didn’t have the part in stock! Nor did they have the courtesy of giving us a car to drive in the meanwhile! I have just been reading a forum and was shocked to find out that we are entitled to a hire car from them if our car is with them for more than 24 hrs! I am also angry like you that they are demanding so much money for a part that has failed within a year, I really regret buying this car! I wouldn’t recommend it now. I am going to call my garage and speak with the manager and compain and if that doesn’t get me anywhere then I will lodge a formal complaint with their customer care department and get intouch with watchdog! They don’t deserve to fob us off and get away with it! The worse thing is that my husband has been made redundant so times are hard as it is. I hope things work out for you with your Zafira - Sammy Knight from England

My car broke down on a trip from Glasgow to London. I had it towed to Vauxhall garage in London, £1200 for dfp including fitting. I wrote to Andy Gilson (custumoer care executive) at Vauxhall and I have just received half of the bill back. The same day the cheque came through I had the car back in the garage as ABS system needs replacing and will cost nearly £2K, trading in asap - Gemma Williams from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-04-25 | ID: 50153

David Nelson, Northumberland

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 S.R.I 2006

Our Zafira had a problem with the horn not working when the lights were on. We took to garage of where purchased TWICE and they eventually fixed as it was due an MoT, however, we had to take it back as the turbo was not working properly. They couldn’t give a slot suitable so we took it to another garage, however, it broke down before we got it there and had to tow it. We found it was the d.p.f filter and was told it was my fault. I explained it was not displaying any sign or warning light they said it was my fault! It has been in the garage for over a week, still no car, why you ask? well it’s not under waranty so vauxhall informed me I have to pay now, which will be very expensive when I get it back (eventually). It’s gone!!!!!!!

Submitted: 2010-04-21 | ID: 50152

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

Zafira still in garage......read the items below posted by me… and you will pleased to know that its having a new engine... but guess who’s paying… correct, me. I’ve had full engineers report undertaken at reputable Vauxhall main dealers and the problems listed on the report are ridiculous for a 4 year old car. Shame no representative from Vauxhall reads these comments, they might be able to learn that the bad publicity by word of mouth and reviews like those on this site affects later purchases of Zafira’s, or the whole Vauxhall range come to that. A learning point here is that where I work 12,000 people are employed and such service and reliability problems that I have had don’t take long to get around. So Vauxhall need to understand that some of us are not just one individual who can be fobbed of, but word of mouth can lose so much custom in such a competitive market. And at the end of the day they will wonder why so many sales are lost to other manufacturers... I won’t be returning to Vauxhall unless some responsibility is under taken by them... £3,000+ to repair at my expense and still not got the final bill... Ford, Mazda, Kia, Citroen, and all the other MPV manufacturers, more custom coming your way in the near future, and Vauxhall can wave good bye to lost income from potential lost sales... If only they would acknowledge these comments...

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 50148

John, England

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 cdti (120) remapped to 170 2006

Well where do I begin? Evans Halshaw, What a joke! A bunch of incompetent w***ers! Bought mine from Middlesbrough Renault at Cannon Park last summer, 60000 miles on it and within the first 8 weeks must have been back to dealer 8-10 times. For a start they couldn’t tell me if it had a service even though I paid for one in the price. Alloy wheels were put on with incorrect spacers. Then I met my exhaust system... Kept getting the spanner light coming on and would lose power. Evans Halshaw hummed and aahhed then decided to clean my particulate filter, which worked for about 1 day. Then the hoses blew on the exhaust, which meant more time off work to arrange getting to garage. Then they couldn’t find the fault so I had to go to Falcon Performance in Skippers Lane, Mbro who put it on tech 2 and told me the fault was the particulate filter again. By this time it had been in garage 8-10 times already. SO I HAD TO TELL EVANS HALSHAW WHAT THE FAULT CODE WAS! Anyway after much banging my head against a EVANS HALSHAW wall and being promised that someone would telephone me about the problems which, I’m still waiting for nearly 9 months later. I f****ed EVANS HALSHAW off and went to Falcon and had a new exhaust system fitted, NEW FILTER AND HAD IT REMAPPED TO 170 BHP. Apart from that its a lovely car. The moral of this story is NEVER GO TO A EVANS HALSHAW because they don’t give a s**t. Any one near M’BRO USE FALCON PERFORMANCE,DAVY ROAD,SKIPPERS LANE COZ THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL AND PASSIONATE AND REALLY LOOK AFTER YOU AND YOUR CAR PS sorry for bad language but I feel that angry with EVANS HALSHAW, MUPPETS.

feeling ur pain with evans hallshaw. I bought a second hand zafira 2 and a half years old and done 27000 miles from a seperate garage. anyway that meant 6 months left on warranty or upto 60000 miles. straight away resistor fault so took it to local vauxhall dealer due to warranty issue. fitted a new one. problem solved - no charge. 2 weeks later resistor goes again. back in to evans hallshaw. replaced resistor - again. now working. 6 weeks later egr valve goes - back to EH and replaced - no charge, getting pissed with me now. 1 week later car faulty again back to EH. conveniently EH tell me car has been clocked and they reckon has done 75000 miles - how convienent, warrenty invalid so charged me. i reckon they didnt replace original resistor but fixed it then it went so had to replace it and think they have just cleaned up the egr valve now its not performing again - Jimbo Tally from England

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 50141

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 Diesel CDT SRI 2006

Where do I start? Good points first.. Very practical, good ride and handling, plenty of room for two adults and four childen, if it wasn’t for the following problems I would recommend this car, just a pity Vauxhall are not recognising faults that seem to be mentioned repeatedly on the internet. If you have had any of the following faults then I assure you you are not alone. Grinding noise from clutch, replaced with new bearing, Engine Managment lights intermitantly, Alternater packed in whilst driving, lucky it was me and not my wife as I had to use two hands to turn steering wheel, engine stayed running as I knew alternater was packing in as all lights on dashboard flickered while driving and I was not in a position to stop safely; this is a serious design fault for women drivers. Heater switch does not blow onto screen, replaced two times fault back again. Smoke emits from exhaust and enters cabin, This has been mentioned as a cracked manifold and the emission light illuminates, and the most serious thing happened while my wife was driving, engine running on its own accord while driving, she pulled over and engine revved up until it blew blue and white smoke from exhaust and engine bay and finally died.... If any one has experinced any of the above please let me and others know, this has all happened on a 2006 55reg with 39,900mls serviced at correct times. Vauxhall need to respond to these faults. have you or are having these problems?? £13k for a car I can’t use because you guessed it......ITS IN THE GARAGE, waiting for a quote to get the car back on the road.

We have a Zafira 1.9cdti sri 150 bhp 2006 reg. Just read your review and we have had the same problems as you. We can’t drive any where far as the car lets us down. We have had a new alternator and the egr valve replaced 3 times but still faulty. Just had it serviced last week and now the engine managment light stays on and Vauxhall don’t want to know as they say there is no fault coming up on the tech computer. The car won’t go over 40mph and is using diesel like its going out of fashion and smoking a lot aswell - Jane Ingram from Lancashire

I have had nothing but problems with my Zafira. I kept getting the message coolant level and losing power, which was not a nice experience. The garage said the car was not suitable for my style of driving. i.e a family car used to take children to school and travel to work 5 miles away. I was advised that the car was designed for motorway driving and that I should have been informed when I brought the car from a Vauxhall dealer. The car has been into the garage 3 times with the problem on one occasion, I drove the car out of the garage and the following day experienced the same problem, when I phoned the garage, they said they were just about to phone me as they had not finished the work on my car. I returned the car and had a hire car for a week. The problem now is the grinding noise on my clutch - Lisa Dwyer from Staffordshire

Update from above: The Zafira has been taken to Vauxhall dealers for a full mechanical inspection, because the garage that recovered the Zafira say that the faults that are showing on the diagnostics/laptop, should not be occuring on a vehicle this young. I would be interested from anyone who has purchased a Vauxhall from LLoyds in Rosehill Carlilse, who has purchased or had servicing problems in the past or present. Lloyds in Carlisle are now a Alfa Romeo Dealers.......wonder if that says something not being a Vauxhall dealers any more? If any Vauxhall management read these comments I would look forward to their reply. I will keep you updated on the out come, Vauxhall have to show some degree of responsilbility to these faults, as it seems that I have no other option soon than to bring it to attention of the media - John Not a happy chappy from Cumberland

If anyone replies, can you give year, model, and mileage. And any info I gain from Vauxhall I will post on here, thanks - John Not a happy chappy from Cumberland

I have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CD bought in October 2006, with a current milage of about 23000 miles. After few months on the road, I had to replace a faulty EGR Valve which was covered with the warranty. In the last 3 Years I had to take the car to the garage several times as some lights on the control panel kept switching on and off, only to be told by the authorized Vauxhal dealer that there was not a problem and they reset the fault codes. In November last year (only one month after the warranty expired) the alternator had to be replaced, so I had to pay half of the cost to replace it, over £250. Last week the light of the exhaust came back up again and they told me that the EGR valve was gone again and had to be replaced so I had to pay enother £250. This is a very frustrating situation as I am still paying for the car and experiencing so many problems. I am really thinking to get rid of it and buying a different car - from Hertfordshire

I respect your comments, I am at my wits end with the Zafira, the problem is and as I have said above overall the zafira is a good car, it’s the problems that are arising that are not being dealt with in a sensible and satisfying way, and us customers will not come back. I have mentioned above that Vauxhall management need to reply to the problems and issues that are being raised on this site, it’s not just a web site to complain, each of us have circles of friends and family and that just spreads and spreads bad publicity. Come on Vauxhall, dont ignore your future business in the UK. Since the troubles I have had and friends and family witnessed, you have lost business contracts who have transferred to Citreon. Now that is pretty bad news to me but you have only yourselves to blame by being so blinkered. I am not bitter but I, and many others replying to this site spend there earnings on a car that they expect to do the job and if it doesn’t, to be able to get a proper repair - John Not So Happy from Cumberland

Bought my 2006 Zafira 2.2sri two months ago and already had problems. The yellow car with the spanner lights up now and then, It stalled a few times in the middle of the road while driving without warning and then the exhaust emission lights on. Have to wait for 2 minutes to start the engine then it come back to live again. Now took it back to the dealers garage and waiting for the answer - Boss Lee from Hertfordshire

I bought this car in Feb 2008 and have had nothing but bother with it: cutting out on me while driving, a loss of power. I had to replace erg valve, dpf pipe, inlet manifold, gaskets, throttle body, drive shaft, bolt snapped on gear box. A waste of time arguing with them, just been told that it’s wear and tear. Something needs to be done about them as they are ripping everyone. What can we do? 07859074996 - Nicola Robertson from England

My hubby’s car - a 1.9 diesel 56 model - has recently had turbo replaced (garage ’obliged’ by putting turbo thru under warranty but we had to pay labour £300). Prior to going into garage, there was a strong smell of burning (hot metal) from under car. Exhaust had bright red glow in the centre of exhaust system. Since the turbo was fitted about 4 weeks ago, we have diesel fumes coming into cabin consistently. It’s going into the garage this week. I had the same model previously (04) with the only problem being the plugs which had to be replaced as the car would not start, particularly when cold i.e. after sitting overnight - Aileen Chalmers from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 50204

Terry McKeown, Northern Ireland

Vauxhall Zafira TDI 2006

I loved the car when I bought it, a week later the EGR valve had to be replaced and then there was a problem with DPF turbo and I was told I was not driving it the way it should be. I’m so disappointed. I would advise anyone to get rid before the vehicle is out of warranty. Mine is costing me £1550 approx to repair. I’m going legal. Is anyone else or if you have already phone 07788742174. Will not buy Vauxhall again, I’ve had very little help from the Belfast dealer.

I too have a Vauxhall Zafira cdti sri 2006 model it has 29,000 miles on the clock. I bought it back in July via a private sale it was a reasonably good price especially with optional extras such as leather seats, sat nav and dvd player. I bought it for practicality and it really is great on this but I too have had exactly the same problems. The turbo went on my car as the oil light just appeared and upon checking the oil there was none. When I took it to a respectable garage (not dealer) I was informed that the turbo had gone and it was dripping oil, total cost £750 before Xmas. I have never had great fuel consumption, I think the best has been 38 mpg, quite poor for a diesel and I am too in the same position as to whether to get rid or not!! It’s just not the same. I loved it too when I got it but now feel it’s just not reliable - Louise Turner from England

I am writing to let you know that we bought the Zafira in Ocotober 06 and have had the egr valve replaced twice and the dpf valve once and they are now saying that we may need it replaced again for £1000. They say it is because of short journeys and you should drive it every so often 20-30 miles to give it a good blowout. We are thinking of going legal, have you had any luck yet or do you think it will take awhile? Please et me know, thank you - Jayne Ferguson from County Antrim

Do not listen to this b**ls**t about short journeys. My SRI 150 was being used for a mixture of short 3.0 mile trips and 1 out of 4 longer 11.5 mile trips. No problem until travelling down to the Norfolk Broads in June 2009. Stopped at the last services A1(M) set off 15 miles later engine started losing power. Struggled all the way down to the boatyard it was like driving a fully laden lorry, I am a HGV driver by the way. This on a car with 11000 miles on the clock. Diagnosed by the AA as the EGR valve, they did a temporary repair to get me home. It was fixed at the dealers under warranty. If the car is only fit for a certain type of use why is it not advertised as such. The Zafira is marketed and sold for general use and what you are being told is ’The car is not fit for purpose’. Incidentally the car was 2.5 years old at the time of failure. I have struggled to get above 37 mpg even driving steadily on motorway trips - Arthur Marsh from England

Submitted: 2009-12-21 | ID: 50195

John Spicer, Dorset

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

I bought the car second hand two years ago with very low miles on approx 20,000, the major problem with it is it keeps dying, literally, at high speed or at any given time with no apparent warning. I recently ground to a halt in the middle of carriage with a car that appeared completely lifeless. I usually call the AA but find by the time they get to me the car comes back to life and we carry on as if all is ok again. This happens now once a week on average, what should i do and what’s the problem? I see and hear this story from many other vauxhall owners with brand new cars mainly the vectra 2.2 diesel.

This happened to me on the M5 about 18 months ago. Breakdown truck took me back to the garage, plugged in their engine monitor and found many errors logged. They cleared these and it's been fine since - Mark Sims from Gloucestershire

The same thing happened to me, but I couldnt re start it. I took it to the garage and they said it was the piston rings and would cost me approx £900 - Daniel Shepherd from England

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 50226

David, England

Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Design Auto 2006

Company lease vehicle. Approaching 80,000 miles over 2 and a half years. Climate control did not work from new but resolved without fuss, but I can never get the vents to close properly. Performance is not blisteringly fast, but more than adequate, even when full of people. Handles extremely well and returns about 30mpg on mainly motorway runs with just me in the car. Glad I got the automatic - that handbrake really is a triumph of style over practicality. Comfortable enough even for 7 average-sized adults. Build quality seems pretty good but GM seemed to have run out of money when it came to soundproofing - road and wind noise are abysmal. A front blowout proved that the tyre repair device was a BIG mistake - it doesn’t work when half the sidewall is hanging off the tyre. This meant calling for the RAC to arrive and carry the car 150 miles home - for lack of a spare wheel! Another gripe I have is with the rear lenses. Before I got this car I thought what a great idea it was having cheap clear plastic covers to protect the rear light clusters. When I reversed into a wooden post and cracked one, I learned that that cheap clear plastic cover was actually a fixed part of the entire cluster and is going to cost me about £80 to replace - when Vauxhall can get one. That was 6 months ago and the part is still on order. I gave this a 3-star rating because although the car has proved reliable and practical enough, there are better (and certainly quieter) MPVs of this size available now. I don’t want another one. I have had enough of having to shout at my passengers to be heard above the cabin noise.

Submitted: 2009-10-16 | ID: 50221

Andrew Wells, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 sri 150 2006

I bought the car used from a franchised dealer in Cannock 7 months ago. When I test drove the car I was impressed with the comfort & performance, styling & practicality. There was a minor scratch on the o/s rear bumper which I asked the dealer to smart repair before delivery, they got spray all over the windows, then the horn stopped working & various other interior electronics. After 4 visits they replaced the SIM. Moisture then appeared in the rear light cluster, after a botched repair sealing the moisture in I insisted on a replacement which they did under warranty. I like the car but not impressed with the dealer, from a cocky salesman to the service staff having a couldn’t care less attitude to sheer incompetence. In my experience Vauxhall produce great looking & driving cars but reliability is an issue, not only that but the dealer I dealt with, although a network Q agent, left a lot to be desired. I would probably buy a Toyota or Honda next time. Vauxhall must do better!

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 50222

Robert Hudson, Essex

Vauxhall Zafira Design 2.2 petrol 2006

I purchased my Zafira design 2.2 petrol and I was so pleased but now i’m so, so disappointed. I love the look, the seating is amazing, just what I wanted with grandchildren. I bought it 6 six weeks ago, first 10 days were great, then the little yellow car light came on, AA cover said take it to a garage, as not a main dealer they couldn’t read / understand the code, so off to main dealers. The "investigation" is not covered in the AA warranty so £50 quid and 10mins later the diagnosis was "sticky swirl flaps". I was told that they are "OK now and will probably will not be a problem". 24 hours later car dies in the middle of a busy road, Scary or what?! I get AA (road assisantance, again not under the warranty) to tow to main dealer. £109 later, with a new fuel regulator, happy motoring? 10 days later the little yellow engine light is back on... if it’s the swirl flags that require replacement then its £1500 as the AA say it’s not part of the warranty.

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 50223

Paul, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Zafira sri 2006

I’ve had my Zafira 56 plate sri for 2 years and had no problems at all. Lovely car, loads of space. Performance OK; especially when in sport mode.

Submitted: 2009-07-24 | ID: 50449

Mr White, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI 150 Design 2006

Nothing but problems with repeated particulate filter blockages, EGR, oil leaks. Avoid....

I have the same problem, over the last year EGR valve DPF ETC., It is in garage at the moment and is costing me £1550 as ran out of warranty in July. I am going down the legal avanue to try and get some money back, did you? - Terry McKeown from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 50446

David Stevens, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTI 150BHP 2006

With a wife, 2 kids and a dog, the space offered within the Zafira is ideal. However the build quality certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I have just had the EGR valve fail for the second time in 14 months. My local Vauxhall dealership are telling me that there are so many EGR valves failing at present that there is a large order back log. In fact they are suggesting that it could be up to 2 months before they get the replacement valve in stock. They have at least loaned me another Zafira. As the car will be out of warranty later this year and with serious concerns that the EGR valve will fail again in the future, I’m not intending to stay a Vauxhall owner for too much longer!

Get rid!I have the same problem, over the last year 3 EGR valves fitted, PDF at the moment plus Turbo, will cost £1550. Going legal, did you? - Terry McKeown from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 50461

Richard Byron, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Zafira SRI 1.9 CDTi 2006

Where do I start my tale of woe? Oh yes, when I bought it.. 2006. Day one...car judders every couple of months quite unnerving + burning smell, stops out of gear, continues back in. Ok next day.. Garage can find nothing. This carries on for a couple of years.. meanwhile I put up with abysmal fuel consumption. I moved to Ireland 2007.. eventually car packs up, towed away. They replace the turbo, the computer control system various others then modify the EGR valve. This has no effect. They then replace the swirl actuator. They then replace the the EGR valve, thank the lord for a warranty. Ok none of this works, car goes back in after numerous emails, test transmission oil, looks bad chaps, OK, they replace the whole transmission!!! £5k they say. Ok it is done, I get the car home, the even washed the filthy thing, guess what our demon friend the judder is back, oh yes, and I have 2 weeks left off warranty!! Any one any ideas? I only did 22k miles! My advice even though this is my 2nd Zafira is avoid at all costs!

I have the same problem as you, in garage at the present getting fixed, turbo, EGR, PDF, £1550 as out of warranty, get rid! I’m going legal, phone: 07788742174 - Terry McKeown from Northern Ireland

This may be too late for you... but the Judder is when the Exhaust (Diesel Regeneration System) has to burn off carbon and needs to get really hot. I have the same thing... and had to get a ’Suit’ from Luton to explain. It’s a pain in the A*** and could be bad for someone who didn’t know what was happening.... as when in gear it wants to chug forward. I still have my 06 Zafira and actually like it although I am now having a problem with the Ignition Light coming on while driving. Anyway... good luck - Tony Haigh from England

Submitted: 2009-04-09 | ID: 50464

Tony Thomas, Lancashire

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 cdti 2006

I am achieving 42-46 mpg without being light on the old right foot! My route is far from flat and has both town and motorway and just about legal speeds so I would recommend going for the 120ps as it’s far from slow and ride and stability is fine as long as you don`t think its a sports car. On a twisty road you wont have any trouble. The rear seats are as expected for small people or short drop- off’s. Having changed from a BMW 330 petrol I expected to be tearing my hair out but I am pleasantly surprised. Would recommend to all new dads of multiple children - only thing that bugs me is the stupid touch indicator stalk - why did Vauxhall put these on!! Its the only bad thing on the car!

Submitted: 2008-11-12 | ID: 50493

Clive Hockey, Torfaen

Vauxhall Zafira 2006

Over-heating on short journeys.

Submitted: 2008-07-04 | ID: 50500

Mike Hague, Lancashire

Vauxhall Zafira SRi 150 Ext Auto 2006

The vehicle is an excellent all rounder with the ability to swallow up a large family comfortably. I would highly recommend to anyone - supplying dealer (Lookers St Helens) had a tremendous salesman who looked after the order from start to finish (8 week special factory build because of the extras lad called John Ashcroft). Only downside is that the vehicle has a cut out, normally when coming off a motorway and for an Automatic could be dangerous because you lose all power, including steering. Not happened for a while now (Thankfully) Vauxhall state, no fault found. Have this logged with the dealer in any event, because it could prove dangerous if my grandchildren were in the car.

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 50501

Paul, England

Vauxhall Zafira SRi CDTi (150BHP) 2006

Fuel economy of the 150BHP (Euro IV) CDTi engine is extremely poor. Average economy is 20% BELOW the manufacturer’s official NCAP figures, costing me over £1,000 in extra fuel over 4 years. Average mpg varies between 28 and 35mpg, when driven moderately in town (urban) and country roads. My Saab 9000 2.0liter (1998) automatic gives me only 4mpg less, when driven comparably. On a motorway cruise at 70mph, my Zafira returns between 40mpg and 45mpg. But this is way below the manufacturers concocted NCAP figures (measured on a rolling road, with artificial ECU settings) of 36/54/46 mpg (urban/extra-urban/combined). I am sure the Euro IV Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) doesn’t help the economy, but these figures are appalling. Vauxhall have tested my car and verified engine/vehicle is running normally! Which is a shame, as the car is excellent in all other respects. Especially with the Active suspension CDC (Continuous Damping Control) optional upgrade with IDS+, the handling is outstanding. This is helped by the SRI suspension set up and standard 225/45/17 wheels/tyres. The room for a family of 5 is top class, with the Flex 7 seating arrangement which is unbeatable, especially if you have minimum space to store removable seats of some competitor cars. My only recommendation is - avoid the CDTi (150BHP) engine at all cost. The 2.0 Petrol model gives similar economy and performance in real life. Other users have reported similar poor economy, but it does seem to vary between different cars. I will never believe a manufacturers ’combined’ figure again and therefore will never buy new again - until NCAP figures become realistic again.

Submitted: 2008-01-11 | ID: 50474

The latest Vauxhall Zafira) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)