2006 Vectra reviews

02 September 2014

2006 Vauxhall Vectra reviews

Vauxhall Vectra reviews by year of make:1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Read all reviews

SteveB, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005 - 2008

Had the same dash problem, no temp gauge, no speedo, no rev counter, no fuel gauge, no indicator arrows with my 8 year old Vectra 57 plate bought from new and serviced by Vauxhall every year. Reset mileage back to 0:0 and all the dials now back on working. Why don't Vauxhall address this issue with a notice? Steve B-Berkshire

Submitted: 2014-06-27 | ID: 98545

stew, Gwent

Vauxhall Vectra 2005 - 2008

Had this car for 14 months and to say its the most expensive Vectra out there is understatement!!! bought it with 51000 miles on, now its 70500. since buying this car it does 95% motorway miles at 55mph. These are the problems ive had: 1. New exhaust part £150 2. Air conditioning radiator £350 3. EGR vale £150 only then to have it blanked off £20 4. Inlet manifold £400 (optional cam belt kit fitted aswell £135) 5. Injectors taken off and cleaned £125 6. strut bearings £275 7. new alternator £400 8. today new dual mass flywheel and clutch £900 9. potentially needing wheel bearings as well £ god knows. Although when I bought this car it was everything we needed, large volume boot, loads of leg room,cheap insurance and tax and a really comfy drive, I cant help but feel this is the worst car I have ever owned.

Submitted: 2014-05-07 | ID: 95206

Rab McKee, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri 2.0t 2006

Fab car! Reliable and comfy with great performance and good mpg.

Submitted: 2012-09-22 | ID: 49815

Paul Plested, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0DTI SXI 2006

I’ve had this car for 6 years and excluding servicing I’ve spent a grand total of £150 on parts. This has been the best car I have ever bought; the most reliable and the most fuel efficient. I am very reluctant to trade in, as it’s only got 116000 miles on the clock and is still going strong.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 49812

Brian Povey, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI 2006

Generally I’m very pleased with mine. I bought it in Oct 2006. It achieves 40 to 43mpg around town and 50 to 55mpg on a run, depending on speeds etc. Whilst under warranty the gear knob came off and required a new stick and coupling to the gear box. Strange? Then in July this year the knob came off again. I was quoted £278 to replace it, which I had to pay. Because I was going to France the next day I had glued the knob on but forgot to look for the spring that goes under the knob. This was not really safe so resulted in this big pay out for a knob. I wrote to Vauxhall twice and they didn’t want to know or justify the need for a whole assembly. I don’t want to let it go and I doubt I will get anywhere. This is why folks buy Japanese etc. Comments welcome.

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 49811

Mahmood Z, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Sri150 2006

I bought this at 39k miles and it has now done 63k. The flywheel has been the main problem I have had with the car and also a few minor problems like springs and the wheel bearings which have been replaced twice. Generally, it is quite a good car with decent handling and great power. It will leave most cars in its class standing but it lets in a lot of road noise. Overall, I dont think I would buy another Vauxhall after this one.

I have had a Vectra for two weeks now, can’t say I’m impressed, not sure what they were thinking when designing steering and suspension (although that could just be the appalling roads), it doesn’t feel all that substantial for a big car and a bit weedy. It’s very brittle inside and cheap feeling. TBF engine pulls nice, even for a 1.8, just hoping the clutch doesn’t decide to fail prematurely like so many Vectra parts seem to, looks are okay (6/10) other than that there’s not much to say. Not that I will ever experience it but after-sales/dealerships appear to give an appalling service. I’m sure this car was designed solely to rape and pillage lots of unsuspecting customers. It was built to fail regularly. If you want a car that’s built from sub-standard parts, costs an arm and leg replacing those parts, looks okay with okay performance then buy a Vectra or any other non-descript motor (4/10). Go buy an Alfa, that’s the cars a lot of vectra owners thought they were gonna get. They appear to have ended up with all the unreliability problems that Alfas are well renowned for, all wrapped up in some sort of inbred Vauxhall Chevette - a car that I loved. My Alfa 156 2.0ts Selespeed was easily the most reliable of all cars I’ve owned, easily the most fun/comfortable/stylish to drive. Not many cars that could make you smile at least once a day. No dearer than most cars for parts or garage visits, comparable with Vectras on fuel (if driven sensibly), mine used 1 litre of oil in 2 years. Worst case scenario is you end up getting the same amount of work done that your Vectras have had (but probably cheaper). It’s a poor man’s Ferrari, you gotta try one. Due to Alfa’s ’bad press’ they can be bought for no money at all. Vectra owners must be so disappointed after about a week’s driving - Phil Wikka from Suffolk

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 49779

Alan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Overall a good car but it is juddering when reversing and having only done 37’000 miles the coil pack has failed which is going to be costly even though it’s a 5 minuite job, it’s the parts that cost.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 49787

Mike Woodhouse, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Bought mine Oct 07 with 3400miles on clock. Now almost 3 years later and 59000 completed. Apart from a minor problem with CD player when bought has run perfectly. Not really town car but great for anything else. Average 53-55 mpg, great performance from 150bhp engine - confident overtaker. More toys than you can throw a stick at! Tyres last about 22/23k miles; Yes, indicators need careful use fully electronic - RTFM for those who complain. Been to the Alps skiing 3 times and I love cruise control - which you can vary on thestalk, auto light, wipers, dimming mirror, central locking etc.... Underrated.

Hi Mike! I have a 2006 vectra life 1800 and I can only get 33 to the gallon, mine is a petrol model, it has been on a machine to see if there are any faults and it showed that there aren’t any. Local runs I can only get 25 to 27 to the gallon. Vauxhall say that it’s about right, wish mine was like yours on fuel. Is yours by the way a diesel? Cheers - Roy Nicklin from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-08-06 | ID: 49798

Doug Sinnott, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti Elite Auto 2006

I recently part-exed my 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci Estate Auto,for a 2006 Vectra Elite 1.9cdti 150 Satnav Auto,in Lightning Silver costing £69500. It had a full service history being an ex-lease car and had covered 60,000 miles. So far it has been a pleasure to drive, smooth and quiet on the motorway, (unlike the Megane), with an excellent, well built cabin, superb leather seats, really well equipped and seems very solidly built compared to the Renault. I bought one as my son has an earlier 2 litre diesel 02 Elite with 130,000 now covered and the engine is as strong as ever; it looks immaculate in glossy black. I always was impressed with his Vectra but I ignored his advice and bought a Megane 18 months ago, which turned out to be a mistake. Gearbox problems, squealing brakes, worn discs, electrical problems, electric window failure, all sorted under warranty but I found the 4 speed auto box felt like it needed another gear as it was noisy on the motorway and I never felt confident that something wouldn’t go wrong! The Vauxhall inspires confidence and I intend to keep it, it’s a luxurious motorcar with a smooth 6 speed well tried auto box and is a delight on longer drives whilst still averaging 42 mpg!

You bought it for £69500!? - C Petts from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-04-07 | ID: 49765

Chris Penman, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri cdti 150. 2006

I’ve always liked Vauxhall but I bought this one 8 months ago and its had 2 EGR VALVES , a WIRE HARNESS fitted and it still has no power at low revs. you need to rely on the turbo all the time but still my turbo seems to hesitate, its been in the dealers 4 times now and they still cant find whats wrong !!!!! I’ve only got 2 wks warranty left and I know im going to have to fork out money when my warranty does run out.

You will probabaly need a diesel particulate filter, they’re a 1000 pound, my car needs one - Ian Wagstaffe from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-07-10 | ID: 49881

Chris Sperl, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra Elite 2006

Bought directly from Vauxhall Management, so this well-specc’d car had the luxury of every other available option factory fitted. I downgraded from the V6 SRi for tax reasons, and was extremely disappointed with the 1.9 Unit initially. It had to go back to the Dealership so many times that they eventually sent a Field Technician out from Vauxhall directly, and he couldn’t cure it either. Resigned to the fact that I was stuck with a good looking and massively equipped car with no decent performance to match, I took it to the VXr Performance Centre in Banbury.....the result from their Software remap is incredible. Not only do I now get high 40’s/ low 50’s MPG, it rockets from 0-60 in a shade over 6 seconds!! So there you have it - a luxury motor with every conceivable gadget, with a performance that will leave (most) others for dead on a sprint. I was planning on chopping it in after 3 years, but given how much I love driving it, I now plan to run it into the ground...however long that will be!

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 49874

Simon Burch, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Cdti Elite 2006

An excellent vehicle which I bought in UK and exported to France. Headlight change was no problem as was re-registration. I found it no problem getting the European Certificate of Conformity from Luton. It gives me an average mpg of over 50 and on long runs even more if you do not use the air con too much. The 6 speed gearbox is magnificent in either mode. I regularly travel back to UK from home in Brittany, a distance of nearly 500kms to Boulogne and it behaves impeccably. I use the cruise control for 80% if the journey and it behaves well compared to the system on my old Senator. I have done two return trips to southern Turkey and it behaved impeccably. Whilst in Turkey the EGR valve needed replacement as the warning engine management light came on. The local Opel dealer in Alanya got the part within 24 hours and all was fitted for half the price in Europe. I even got a full 4th service done while I was supplied with tea and cakes in the showroom! On the downside, I found it took quite a while to get the drivers seat into the right position. Also I am not too keen on the in-built SatNav as you have to buy a Disc for each country so I only use it in UK and use my TomTom elsewhere in Europe. The only change I have made is to replace the Vauxhall badges with Opel Blitzes which are more modern than the Griffin. Prior to my Vectra, I had a Megane Cabriolet which was a problem for my Greyhound to get into and before that a Senator for 10 years. What a vehicle!

Submitted: 2009-06-04 | ID: 49873

Marc Purdy, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti sri 150 2006

Hello all, I bought this car 7 months ago from a local garage and loved it as soon as i saw it. Me and my family went on holiday to Devon and the car let me down massively - I took it in to a garage in Devon and they put it on the diagnostics and for some bizarre reason it had no fault code until it broke down again on holiday. I took it back and they plugged it back in and it came up with E/G/R valve so we phoned Vauxhall dealer up in Plymouth, which was not very helpful at all, but what they did tell me is that the E/G/R valve is a common fault and there is lots on back order so if your cars suddenly loose lack of power engine management light comes on lots of black smoke out the exhaust its most likely to this and was told this might happen again sometime. So, I’m not very happy with this car - steer clear and buy a Mazda, Honda or Nissan; much more reliable cars.

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 49871

Chico, England

Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2006

Good all round performance from a 1.8. Excellent gadgets and plenty of leg room. Averaging 45 mpg overall covering country roads & fast motorway driving. As Andy (Notts) has said - far better than any Skoda.

Submitted: 2009-05-18 | ID: 49870

Sam Lee, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 design 2006

I bought my Vectra 12 months ago and have enjoyed its excellent fuel economy, it is an excellent car loaded or unloaded, however be aware, Vauxhall have major problems with clutch judder on all petrol range vehicles and it is almost impossible to find a dealership who are competent enough to rectify the problem. This also includes Vauxhall’s warranty department who are the worst people I have ever dealt with, they hide behind phones For only a little bit more more money you can by a Saab, which has a history of excellent customer service, keep in mind general motors own both companies but more importantly has technicians who can and want to rectify problems. I have to travel 15 miles to another dealership to get quality service in Coventry, despite being 2 minutes from a Leamington dealership.

Submitted: 2008-06-17 | ID: 49855

Chris, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI Design 2006

I bought this car being 9 months old for £12.5k, with 7,500 miles on the clock. It’s the Design variant which is half leather and very well equipped inside. The 6 Speed Gearbox is very smooth and performance is good from the 120BHP engine. Drive it hard and you’ll get 46mpg, take it easy and use the 6th gear whenever possible (55mph+) and you’ll get 50-53mpg. Cruise control works very well and is far superior to the cruise control i had on my previous Mondeo car. The engine is available as either a 120BHP or 150BHP. I went for the 120 purely because i went for a diesel for economy. If i had 150BHP, i’d more than likely use it and defeated the object of switching to diesel! The ECU can be very easily reprogrammed to 150BHP by local specialists. It has a DAB radio fitted as standard which works very well and gives a superb range of station to choose from. The 6 CD Autochanger and FM Radio work well too. First annual service from a Vauxall dealer is £150 and is performed at 20,000 or within 1 year. whichever comes sooner. I’ve had this car just over a year now and i enjoy driving it as much now as i did the day i picked it up.

Submitted: 2008-06-12 | ID: 49854

The latest Vauxhall Vectra) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)