2006 407 SW reviews

23 September 2014

2006 Peugeot 407 SW reviews

Peugeot 407 SW reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2010 Read all reviews

David Ward, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I purchased my 407 new in 2006. It’s been a load of rubbish, giving nothing but trouble. I’ll be going for a Mondeo next, but never a Peugeot again. I’ve had three with not a good one amongst them.

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 45367

Richard Russell, Surrey

Peugeot 407 SW SW136 2006

Bought in 07 with 17k on the clock. The door strap and rust on the tailgate were repaired/resprayed under guarantee in 07 and 09. The tyre valve snapped in 07. It lasted well until 51k (2011 MOT) when the front brake pads and discs replaced along with rear pads. Front ball joints were also replaced at £316; they were found to be badly worn and probably dangerous. The PUG garage refused to replace them under guarantee. Now the ABS/ESP is playing up as many other owners have found. More expense. I have owned many PUGs over the years and this is easily the most temperamental, but I have found the car quite rewarding to drive with nice power curve and handling when the ball joints are OK! The average fuel consumption is 42mpg. The low front is a constant worry and with the larger tyres and the car is a bit cumbersome to park due to the wide turning circle. Boot space is disappointing and loading poor compared with 406, which I drove for 150k with little cost. Lots of rattles on buy roads and tyre noise in the rear seats when at speed on motorways. A case of style over practicality. The 508 looks like a return to sanity by PUG.

Since I wrote this, Pug refunded cost of front bearings. They have been very fair with me over the past few years - Richard Russell from Surrey

Submitted: 2011-11-19 | ID: 45371

Jim Jackson, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I had the 140bhp version diesel, and so it was a real mover even when loaded. This didn’t make any difference to the fuel consumption achieving around 600miles per tank. The handling wallowed a bit when cornering at speed but the suspension on the whole was pretty good. Unfortunately, I hammered it a bit and so had to replace the wishbone suspension, all disks and clutch (twice first one failed) Unfortunately the wheel hub disengaged from the suspension so it had to go that was at 110 thousand miles. A good tourer, comfortable an a nice bit of power.

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 45361

Roger Hewitt, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 1.6 hdi se 2006

Ok, I have had numerous cars from main dealers over my driving time, first a 206 1.4 8v, then 307 xsi hdi 136, then the 407 sw se 1.6 hdi then a 206 gti 180 and have just purchased an 09 reg 407 sw hdi sport 140. My first 407 (the 1.6 hdi) was a wonderfull car plenty of space in the car and boot, once had warning light for tyre and turned out to be a nail :( new tyre £94 fitted, sorted. Covered 12,000 miles and turbo’s clamp broke, courtesy car for two days and done under warrenty. Never had another problem. That’s why I just bought another :) Only downside is I felt the 1.6 hdi was pulling too much weight and fuel was about 35mpg round town and 45mpg-50mpg on a run. That was the reason for getting a 206 gti 180. plenty of power for less weight. Test drove my new 407 2.0 hdi sw sport. not a massive difference in performance but given the size its GREAT and oh to have comfort again. My partner has a 107 for shopping, also a GREAT car. Would I recommend the 407? DEFFINITELY but only with the 2.0 hdi or bigger.

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 45357

Tim Kelly, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 HDi 136 GT 5dr 2006

Very nice to drive, I do on average 30,000 miles pa so I wanted something comfortable and the 407 SW is definately that. Good family car too. If I could change one thing it would be the long nose which has proved tricky once or twice with steep ramps but all in all a good car.

Submitted: 2007-11-27 | ID: 45382

The latest Peugeot 407 SW) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)