2006 Focus reviews

31 October 2014

2006 Ford Focus reviews

Ford Focus reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

Becken Michael, London

Ford Focus Tdci 1.6 90 h.p. 2006

I bought my Focus in a second hand car fair with high mileage. The car´s superb in almost all respects. It´s comfy enough, safe solid and is pleasent and fun to drive. It’s also ultra economical and its style is modern and attractive. Problems till now? None. The car’s fine!

Submitted: 2013-01-26 | ID: 39832

Charlene Hughes, County Armagh

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 SPORT 2006

I bought my Focus in October 2006 and I’ve hated it ever since! I sold my old 2000 Peugeot 206 1.9d to my sister and decided to buy this car and I truely regretted selling the Peugeot, it never gave me any trouble at all and to this day my sister is still driving about in it and has still had no problems with the car! The Focus isn’t nice to drive, it’s uncomfortable to sit in and is generally unreliable. The engine has been a big problem in terms of not wanting to start, also the turbo had to be replaced. The interior is horrible, lots of the dash panels have either fallen off or are about to fall off! I had to get 2 new shock absorbers for the back when the car was still in warranty, I took it to Ford themselves and they refused to fix it under warranty because "It was my fault, not the cars". I’m a 28 Year Old hair dresser, not Colin McRae! In the end I got 2 new shocks off a Focus from the scrapyard. My friend in work has an 07 308 HDi 1.6 Sport and she hasn’t had any problems at all since she has owned it, I find it a lovely car to drive, fantastic looking, lovely and comfortable and really economical! Guess what my next car will be (308)... Overall, Dont buy a Ford Focus!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-29 | ID: 39792

Michael, Devon

Ford Focus 2006

After 3 years happy motoring (car bought 1 year old in Sep 2007) the faults appear to mounting alarmingly. Little did I know when I purchased this car that I needed to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter every 37K (at a cost of £400), however, every time I take it for service it seems uncanny that a further fault needs attention! The car is approaching 70K miles and the bills just keep on coming! The latest problem to appear is a high-pitched screeching noise from the engine compartment when I accelerate to above 2000revs (in any gear). Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was needed to rectify it? Make no mistake, this is a good car to drive but reliability is becoming an increasing problem - so much so that I’ll be going elsewhere for my next car.

Regarding your dpf, I have a Citroen C5 diesel with a dpf and it will self clean if periodically driven at around 2-2500 revs for about 10 mins. The problem arises if the car is in slow or start/stop traffic so every so often give it some welly and that should prolong its life. My dpf should have been replaced at 75k but it’s currently on 78k so fingers crossed on mine. With all the problems that diesels have (dpf, dual mass flywheels and clutches, turbos etc) is it really worth it - cheaper tax, slightly better mpg over an economical petrol car. I am looking for a petrol car but her indoors must not know about until I’ve got it - Keith Morshead from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 39794

Jonathan Thompson, England

Ford Focus 1.6 Sport 2006

I’ve had my 06 Focus 1.6 Sport for 6 months now and I’m a regular at the petrol station. What a pig on fuel this is. I wouldn’t mind if it had a bit of get up and go but it doesn’t. It’s been into Ford for hard starting and detonation issues. It had the computer updated and the trouble is still there. I’d hoped the update would have improved the gas guzzling but it’s still at it. The detonation while accelerating is really bugging me and as for motorway driving, its great until I need to pass someone and god help me if its up hill. You can drop a gear or even two if you really feel optimistic but all it will do is suck down more fuel and it still won’t perform. The average fuel consumption on a long run, 500 miles plus, is 36 mpg. I can get that from a Discovery diesel. Ford say everything is ok. I think not. I’ve been a professional driver for 20 years, I know how to do the eco drive, the Focus does not.

Hi mate, I have a 06 focus sport 1.6 and I know it does lack power and guzzles a fair bit of petrol but I find it still quick pokey. I got the 3 dr version and I’ve done a bit of colour coding on it and changed air filter to a k and n one, and gave it a full service and mine seems quick quick most of the time. Ok it would be great to have a better interior, more power than standard 98bhp but with added power comes higher running and up keep costs. I’ll be keeping this ’til the st or rs is within my budget and insurance - David Boughtwood from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39808

Sharren Hussey, England

Ford Focus 1.8tdci sport 2006

I purchased my car alomost four years ago now but in the last year it has cost me over £500 for having things repaired. First it was the alternator and now whilst driving my car the whole power went and the enginer failure light came on. I turned the engine off and restarted it and it seemed fine but then it happened again whilst going around a very busy island. This is the third time this has now happened but does anyone know what could cause this fault? I have always had Ford cars since I started driving but this car has put me off ever buying another in the future!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-25 | ID: 39776

Suzanne Parkes, Cheshire

Ford Focus Ghia 2006

I bought my focus in 2006 (1600 Ghia) new. The car seemed fine, although I thought steering was a bit noisy (whirring sound), the windscreen water ran out quickly and the air con light was always on. I Took it back to dealers but they said everything was ok. I then took it for its first service 1 year on (8000 miles); first I got ripped off for key fob battrey replacement (£14) and they charged me £28 for oil on top of the service charge £130. When i picked my car up i had only driven for 5mins when the steering felt sloppy and made a loud screeching noise. I had to join the AA as Ford said there was no one available to collect me off a busy A road. They said the Pipe off the Powersteeing pump needed replacing and fixed it. Here is a summary of what has happend upto this weekend: Leeking oil detected in july 2007 - Ford wanted nearly £300 to fix this but I took it to another garage and they fixed for £170 (2nd garage said it was pump but Fords insisted it was the pipe; Had to be towed by AA to garage. Had a new pump and two new pipes - garage found Ford had cut through a barcket and left it loose. My husband asked Ford about this and they said it was common practise. Fords would not take liability for fault pumpp, even though one of their sales assistants admitted 2006 Ford cars have faulty pumps; In September 2009 I noticed more oil leaking. The AA mechanic said it was definitely the pump-, which cost £400 from 2nd garage. Ford wanted £170 for pipes and £550 plus vat for pump without fitting. Sorry for going on folks but Ford after care service has left me incensed. I will never ever buy a Ford or trust them to service my car ever again. I hope this is useful to anyone considering buying a focus 2006 model or any Ford model! PS I had to choose 1 star as score of no stars not available.

So technically you’re giving 1 star because you dealt with a dodgy dealer and got ripped off? I’ve never experienced any of this..nor has the many people I know that own them - Rob Sanderson from England

I totally agree with Suzanne. Ford dealer network and customer services are useless. My local dealership is Linsday Ford in Craigavon and they are woefull, it took them 4 days to fix a problem with the parking sensors. When it happened again i took it to my local mechanic he could fix it in half an hour. I know Peugeot ar supposed to be the worst dealer network but their not. i have had many peugeot bought from main peugeot garages and they are excellent - from County Armagh

Hi Suzanne, I can totally empathise with you and your frustrations. I have recently had a similar problem with my 2005 Focus. The auxillary pump and the pipe leading to the pump both needed to be renewed. The noise that was coming from the car when I was steering was horrendous. I took it to local garage at the end of Jan 10 whereby it was repaired and I was quite happy with the repair. However 7 weeks on and the problem has reoccurred. The mechanic has again confirmed the pipe to the auxillary pump has split and is leaking power steering fluid. Fortunately I only need to replace the pipe. The parts supplier where the garage purchased the pipe and pump for the initial repair have agreed to a replacement pipe free of charge because it was only purchased 7 weeks ago. The supplier informed the mechanic that this is a recurrent problem on the focus due to bad design and this is the most common part that he has requests for from mechanics. Now waiting to get my vehicle back from the mechanics and will keep my fingers crossed that I don’t have further problems - Annie Campbell from Essex

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 39745

Barbara Wakerell, Kent

Ford Focus 2006

2006 Ford Focus. How do I reset the mpg and average speed read-out as they are way out? Can anybody help? Car is great.

Hi. I am Chris Murphy and I am a reporter. Long shot, but are you the lady with the 96p car insurance? If so can you call me on 07801 029 729. Thanks - Chris Murphy from Kent

Hello, hope this isn’t too late and you still have the car! On the left stalk you have a switch that says "menu", start the car and flick the switch until the display on the dash shows "My Settings" then press the end of the stalk once to select. Flick through the items using the first switch until you reach the item you want, press the end once to select, then release and straight away press again and hold, this will reset the figures. Do this for the avereage milage, average fuel consumption and the trip counter. When you are done return the display to show, total milage, trip milage outside temp. The figures are worked out from the last 6000 miles (according to the hand-book). How to do all this is in your handbook. Hope this helps - Graeme Hall from England

Submitted: 2009-09-08 | ID: 39742

Alan, Surrey

Ford Focus 1.8 TDI 2006

Great family car. Boot space a little short, but very well-balanced, good driving position, and good visibility all round. One problem with dash electrical pod - speedo/rev counter flicking on and off, lighting failed and intermittent nuisance red/amber fail lights. Whole pod replaced at 65,000 miles and worked fine ever since. Cheap to run and goes about 500 town and country miles to a tank of diesel. Would definitely get another one.

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 39739

Jeanette Redding, London

Ford Focus Zetec 2006

I have not had a good experience from the word go. Ergonomically, even with an automatic model, the design of the car is all wrong for me - something you don’t find out on the average test drive. I went to a mobility centre for an assessment. The depth of the seat was nipping a nerve behind my knee and giving me parasthesia! I got a wedge to sit on and a wedge for the footwell, which means I am virtually touching the roof while driving! Now I wish I had swallowed the depreciation rate and got a different car because after only 30,000 miles I had to have a new alternator. It was out of warranty by five months. I put it down to bad luck. However, after the power assisted steering pump went as well last week, costing nearly £800 to fix, it is more than bad luck. It has 35,000 on the clock! This car is a lemon. I had a Daewoo for 8 years from brand new and did considerably higher mileage per annum but it never cost as much as this heap of junk to fix or maintain.

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39855

Rich, England

Ford Focus 2006

Who ever said the 2.0 TDCi is c**p because it’s a Peugeot unit... how wrong you are!!!!! The EGR valve went because the Peugeot and Citroen variant use hardened steel gears in the EGR valve and when Ford take the engine they use plastic gears inside the EGR - a bit of cost cutting. All the HDi engines built in France by Peugeot are very reliable and never go wrong. My Dad has a transit 2.2 AA van and engine built by Ford and it’s the 2nd transit in under a year, 2nd engine and the Ford dealer have it more than he does.

Yes, Ford are rubbish; their customer service is appauling and they are true rip off merchants. I own a Ford Focus Ghia 1.6. and have had powerstering problems from the word go, which have cost me alot to repair as Ford will not accept liabilty - Suzanne Parkes from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-05-14 | ID: 39856

John Wiltshire, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2006

This is my second Focus having had a MK 1 for 5 years and this MK 2 for the last 3 years. So far so good with little or no problems at all. To all you Focus owners though check your spark plug receptacles are not filling up with water during heavy rain. It is a common problem and it requires a modification to the windscreen washer nozzles which are letting water by and onto the top of the engine. If not rectified this can cause the spark plugs to "explode". It would have been nice if Ford had contacted everyone rather than having you to find out this for yourself and to contact your Ford garage to have the mod done. Other than that it is a good solid reliable car and I would recommended the Focus to anyone thinking of buying one.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39851

Dave Niel, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2006

Right then; the last Ford I drove was a 1982 Escort straight into the back of a two ton Ford Transit van full of angry policemen heading for a environmental rally down in Worcestershire, where some prat called Swampy was hiding high up in a forest full of engineers who wanted to build a new motorway straight through it. My passenger at the time was a brand new boss of a chicken factory where I had started work two weeks earlier. So I was encouraged by fate, never to own a Ford car again. Last week I was asked if I would go along with my in-laws to help them check out a used Focus, and guess what ... they asked me to drive it. The internal quality and finish was really good with plenty of room for the four of us, (that’s the two in-laws, me and the wife). Comfortable and well buttoned up; with easy to use controls is what was so noticeable, as well as the smooth and really quite keen diesel engine. The car felt a lot newer than the 18 months old it actually was. There was a couple of small issues i had, in that the drivers seat was a little lacking in movement and adjustability, which was awkward for a guy who is over 6 feet tall and the rear vision is not what it maybe could be, (that could have been affected by the rear view vision of the two in-laws though)! Overall, a very solid and reliable feel to this car, and easy to see why so many families are prepared to go out and buy what must be the best car in its class. Oh and i managed to get 6 points on my driving licence, for driving without due care and attention, speeding, and a £120 fine for verbal abuse! Thanks Swampy....

You are a poet mate. - I enjoyed reading your review it was very entertaini from Middlesex

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 39873

The latest Ford Focus) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)