2005 Focus reviews

03 September 2014

2005 Ford Focus reviews

Ford Focus reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Read all reviews

Eugene Stander, South Africa

Ford Focus 2.0 Si 2005

Great car and I’ve had great service out of mine so far. I bought it from Ford and it was a lease car with 16,875 miles on the clock. I’m on 62,500 miles plus and not a day of problems. It still drives like a new car. It’s got amazing handling in a mountain pass. I’m not one that pushes too high speeds all the time but now and then I’ll test the limit in nice flowing bend and it’s got amazing grip. It’s very easy to work on. I do all my own servicing since the car ran out of the service plan.

Submitted: 2013-10-01 | ID: 39847

Rob Welch, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci 110bhp Titainum 2005

Best car we have ever had: 58.4mpg, handles really well, 3 door face lift version. The only fault in five years is the fuel sender which tells lies. It says it’s 1/4 full when really it’s empty. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 39814

Rebecca, Middlesex

Ford Focus 1.6 lx automatic 2005

Bought the 1.6 lx automatic Focus in 2006 when it was a year old and for three years the car was absolutely brilliant with no problems at all. BUT it’s started to go down hill quite rapidly: The car has done 34,000 genuine miles and been regularly maintained, however, at 4 years old the offside wishbone needed replacing then at year 5 the nearside one also had to be replaced. OK not too bad so far, now the major issue is the spark plugs filling up with rusty water and causing the engine management light to flash on and off. This problem is a common fault with the Focus and although Ford knew about it and were going to recall the cars, in the end they never did anything. (and some will deny all knowledge!) The concensus of opinion is the water either comes from the badly designed water jets (which sit directly over the engine) or its water "from somewhere" getting into the core plugs. All this is expensive to try and sort out (which doesn’t always happen) so your back and forth to the garage spending lots of £’s each time. Until this nightmare developed I was very happy with the car, now I wouldn’t advise anyone to chance buying a Focus because when it goes wrong it certainly goes wrong in a big and expensive way. So beware: as long as it doesn’t rain, you don’t use the windscreen washer/wipers, don’t wash the car and most definitely don’t put the Focus through a car wash, you might be lucky and escape this common fault.

I am having similar issues with my 2006 registered 1.6LX, worked wonderful for four years but has developed a fault such that it jerks and loses power on accelerating. I have had several trips to the garage to fix it, with the "heating circuits changed". It helps for a few weeks and the problem re-emerges - from Leicestershire

I had a speedo stop working on a Fiat Ducato, which is the same van after all. It was a sensor in the gearbox but the garage swapped over the whole box telling me the box was sealed and non serviceable. It wasn’t my problem fortunately because it was still (just) in warranty. God only knows what a new box would have cost me along with fitting - Steve Blacker from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 39796

Keith G, Staffordshire

Ford Focus 16 tdci 109 bhb 2005

Very good car, it has done 187000 miles some of it pulling a 6 berth caravan.

Submitted: 2010-11-14 | ID: 39812

Patrik Sestak, England

Ford Focus 5 door tdci 110hp 2005

I bought this car 2 months ago from private seller and after 3 weeks starts my nightmare. First, what I’m doing when I buy new car is changing oil and oil filter. Mechanic in service said that was on time to change...? With new oil car starts driving like old 50kw diesel, noisy with shaking, losing power. When I opened the hood on engine there was oil leak. This cost me £200 for diagnosis and fix oil leak, changed some plastic on turbo. For noise, shaking and lack of power diagnose says: egr fault, flywheel fault - repair in High Wycombe, Bosch service cost £1600 :D very expensive parts for this engine, "special" dual mass flywheel. cool. After changing the flywheel and egr after 20 miles dies alternator. Nice. What can I say? Nothing, back to service, fitted new alternator. Driving back home, oil pressure warning light comes on!!! Now I was not sure what is wrong ’cause car was driving smooth so I drove to nearest service in Aylesbury. 6th service wants to take the car for repair. After 30 minutes waiting they said that it’s oil pressure switch fault but they don’t have it and I must wait another day. Cost me £71. One more thing is windscreen and rubber around it. 5 years old car and this rubber is hard and coming off from glass. I need to change it and thank god for insurance costs me only £75. What a luck. Car got 98650miles, when I bought was 98050, so just 600 hundred miles in 2 months and 90 percent to service. All this cars around 100k are expensive to repair, expensive for parts, especially euro 4 with special filter for £1000 new. I’m happy that mine is just euro 3. Never, never Focus with this engine, for me never in my life Ford again. Lovely my last volkswagen passat with 1.9tdi engine best diesel ever made.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39807

Michelle Nall, Sussex

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005

Its a very good car BUT you must get the turbo intercooler pipe replaced before it cracks and is out of warranty. I did not and it cost £220 to have it replaced. Also, if you have a complaint and you can’t find the email address of Ford’s complaint department this one works although they’re not happy I’m passing it out - corrospo@ford.com. Many thanks, Michelle.

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 39741

K B, England

Ford Focus Ghia 2005

I have had my Ford Focus for 3 years, it is absolutely fantastic to drive and I have had no problems with it at all... I have just ordered my new Focus that I will be collecting in September. I recommend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 39868

Andy Tran, Aberdeenshire

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Ghia 2005

Lovely car to drive. However, I only kept it for a year as it broke down 8 times! Problem was with EGR valve - Ford dealers were unable to fix it. Ford UK didn’t care. These diesels are developed with Peugeot, a BIG mistake if you ask me - they are guaranteed to give problems. Peugeot reliability is very poor.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39875

Mark Johnson, Wales

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Ghia 2005

I have owned a Volkswagen Golf GT TDI 130 bhp and I have to say I was a little bit optimistic at the thought of having to trade it in for a Focus. I have to say that everything about the Focus, when compared to the Golf, is outstanding; value for money and drive quality are second to none and I still get that little grin when i put my foot down. So those of you who are thinking of getting a Focus go on get down to your dealer and buy one .

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39876

Gary Stilgoe, Worcestershire

Ford Focus 2005

Like many of you out there the Focus is my work hack. In a fetching grey and with a diesel lump it does little to stir the imagination of any driver BUT I have to say, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Reliability is second to none, build quality is good and she has now withstood more than two years of daily toil and isn’t yet showing any signs of age. Able to cruise effortlessly at the national maximum and still provide a reasonable return per gallon the Focus is a comfortable ride for anyone doing serious mileage. A few forays into the twistier stuff have revealed she is taut and holds a line well. A racy little number ......No! A head-turner ....... No! An everyday work horse and no nonsense, get the family where they have to be with all of their, and their mates’, baggage, drive..... Definitely. If you can put up with the handbrake been ideally positioned for left hand drive but being in exactly the wrong place for right hand drive vehicles you can’t ask for more from an everyday vehicle. Save the Caterham for the weekends!

Submitted: 2008-02-18 | ID: 39882

Craig Broadman, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec Climate 2005

After months of research I finally decided in Sept 2007 to go for a Focus to upgrade from my Ibiza. Having a diesel was a must for me as it is so much more economical (especially with today’s prices). MPG is great, around 55MPG. It is comfortable, spacious and looks great too. Boot space is especially generous.

Submitted: 2008-01-30 | ID: 39872

The latest Ford Focus) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)