2005 Xsara Picasso reviews

23 July 2014

2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso reviews

Citroen Xsara Picasso reviews by year of make:2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Read all reviews

Frederick Allard, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

I bought this car as a run around till my other car was repaired. It had nearly 160.000 miles on the clock and I have now 180.000 miles on the clock. Apart from a new alternator to replace the original one and a couple tyres it has sailed through 2 MoTs and has been serviced once. The mechanics said it was perfect throughout. It’s not the fastest of cars, but in all my years driving and I am 63 now, it’s the best I have had and you guessed it I am keeping it. Also, I get an amazing 48 to the gallon just local driving and more on a long run.

Submitted: 2013-07-21 | ID: 38473

Super Car, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005

Reading some previous comments regarding MPG returns on this vehicle prompted me to reply with this information: The VIN Code holds information on OEM (Oil Engine Management) Catalytic Converter/Particulate filter, which can be in different combinations depending on when the vehicle was manufactured. From October 2005 DV6TED4 (Euro4 Engines) were fitted with a particulate filter seperate to the catalytic converter and some models a ’Combined’ Unit this can be observed/clarified looking at Complete Exhaust Systems. Those having part of the alphanumeric VIN code CH9HY do not have a particle filter only the catalytic converter. Those without Particulate (FAP) also tend to give a higher MPG on short as well as long journeys.

Submitted: 2013-02-11 | ID: 38453

Paul S, Cambridgeshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi 2005

Ok let’s start with the good bits. Plenty of room for three kids and two adults as all seats are full sized meaning three booster seats can fit in the back. The boot is large and the rear seats can fold tip slide or be removed leaving a cavernous load area should the need arise. The interior is well laid out with plenty of cubby holes etc although it’s cheap inside it’s adequate and comfy on long journeys. Now the bad bits the handling is like a go kart, ie two wheels and a bit of string, the car will not feel composed at speed and prone to side winds. The result is negative feedback and feel in the steering not unsafe just not inspiring . Built for comfort the suspension soaks up the bumps but around bends it feels like your the figure out of a jack in the box. Now the really bad bits... The 1.6hdi has a dual mass flywheel clutch system which is prone to failure and ours did with £1,100 pound price tag to fix - this part is not exclusive to Citroen’s so do your homework carefully on any recent diesel engine as manufacturer’s share parts. Low mileage or service history won’t help either, a bad design fault. The fuel injectors can leak with similar costs if they can’t remove them. So the moral of the story is, if your buying one buy the 2.0l diesel and enjoy life on the high seas, a Parrot is on the option list. PS. We didn’t fix ours it wasn’t cost effective! 99p Auction on eBay.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 38457

Stephen Hann, Kent

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi Exclusive 2005

This is my 2nd Picasso after my 2002 SX was written off due to a non fault accident (was gutted to lose it). I knew straight away what our next car would be though. I went for an upgrade and got the exclusive with climate control, auto headlamps, auto screen wipers, parking sensors and cruise control. Certainly not the the most exciting of cars to drive, but then when you’re getting an average of 49+ mpg and more on a longer run who cares? Loads of well thought out cubby holes and love the fridge in the glove compartment. You only have to take the easily removed seats out of the back and you have a van! My last Picasso swallowed up a 2 seater sofa and armchair in one go! The kids love the space in the back, the aircraft style tables, the middle rear seat that drops down as a table and the storage holes in the floor at the back. The flat floor throughout the car makes life easy if you should need to clamber about the car or jump in through the passenger side if someone parks tight up to drivers side. The auto climate control is handy. Getting in and out is easy especially when loading a sleepy child, you won’t have to break your back to do it. The trim is a bit cheap and the reflection off the dashboard into the windscreen can be a bit scary on sunny days. Our last Picasso had a few slight rattles appear, but then it did have 113,000 on the clock, but still ran as sweet as a nut and in the 4 years I owned it and always started 1st time on its original battery. The easiest car I’ve ever driven in snow too. You get a lot of car for the money, the driving experience won’t set you alight but for practicality and affordability you’d find it hard to beat.

Deja vu. I was reading Stephen’s review and thought this is me. My 2006 1.6 hdi "Cassie" was written off due to a non-fault accident (the b*stard didn’t even stop). Just had to get another one love the engine, my partner and I can live with the interior. The miles per gallon, well with the way I drive, I can average 65mpg. Wouldn’t have another car. Loads of cubby holes and places to hide things. Have now got a 2008 1.6hdi vtx model. The other one we brought new. This one is second hand, no complaints as yet - Dave Dewey from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 38449

Barry Holmes, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire 1.6 petrol 2005

Hi, I have had my 1.6 petrol Citroen Xsara Picasso for 2 years. I get 30 to 35 mph around town, I love it. The bad points are: Steering pump is above the atlternater; Pump went very noisy and I found it to be leaking; Fluid dropped straight down into the alternater and knackered that too, had to change both. Very bad idea, they should be offset.

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 38444

Simon Hickie, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi Desire 2005

I’ve owned this from new and have covered 82000 virtually trouble free miles. I had a dash rattle and thermostat replaced under warranty and apart from some service items, that’s been about it. Fuel economy has averaged around 48.5mpg overall from new (book figure 51 and I don’t mess about on the motorway). Switching away from the supplied Michelin Energy tyres has improved handling but worsened economy. I believe the 2.0hdi engine does not have a dual mass flywheel - this is a good thing. It’s due for a cambelt change in a couple of weeks - no idea how much this will cost though. Load capacity is excellent. When I replace it, it’s looking like being the Berlingo Multispace rather than the C4 Picasso - I just don’t like the idea of not having a proper handbrake.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-08-13 | ID: 38438

Brian Comerford, Cheshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 2005

I have had this car since new and in general I am reasonably happy because it is; 1) Comfortable 2) Flexible, (back seats down, folded up, easily removed) 3) Tough, good over bumps etc 4) Massive payload area (you won’t believe what I’ve carried in this car from fridge-freezers to wardrobes etc 5) Reasonably economical (40-50mpg), though nowhere near as good as my old ZX. There are a few notable problems; 1) It has annoying plastic rattles from around the window, 2) The vision for a tall person is not good when turning right or going around a roundabout because of those massive window/door pillars. 3) Doesn’t really like 4th gear at 30mph (prefers French town speed of 36mph before changing up) 4) The heater takes approx 20 minutes to warm up in winter (It takes me 22 minutes to get to work), 5) Main dealers are poor (especially here in Warrington) with practically no knowledge of the correct way to fault find etc. We had a problem with the braking system, in that the servo would somtimes not work when first driving off from cold, which can be a hell of a fright!!! They wanted us to go away and come back when it did it again!!! (Presumably if we didn’t die first).

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 38441

Mick Rumelhart, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi 2005

Just an update since my last posting. The Picasso has found that it enjoys ’named’ diesel more than Tesco’s! ... drives much more smoothly on BP or Total, engine is much quieter and more responsive. On Tesco’s the engine response very ’on/off’; on the named brands it more controllable and just all round better... Even at a few more pence per litre it is well worth it! I still haven’t got used to the brakes.. A known problem on the 2.0 diesels ... they are so sharp! So you have to be heavier footed on the throttle and lighter on the brake pedal, and that is difficult. It also has the normal Picasso trait of being moved around a bit by sidewinds. The engine though is great on the motorway, quiet, powerful and smooth... It’s very easy to end up going faster than you should! I’m still happy with it, and if you need the space/size but with decent fuel economy (I’m averaging now around 55mpg), this is a car that should be high on your list to look at and test drive.

Submitted: 2008-11-14 | ID: 38485

Mick Rumelhart, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI 2005

This is my second one, the first being a 1.8 SX on a Y plate which I owned for 4yrs. The diesel takes a little getting use to as you have to be a little heavier on the right foot and be a gear down on where you would be in the petrol! I mostly drive on the motorway and by staying between 56 to 60 mph I am getting just over 60mpg (based on the amount of fuel I put in, not on the on-board computer), I was getting around 45 in the 1.8 petrol driving in the same way... so a lot better. A great car, at good prices, versatile, roomy, nice high seating position and lots of ’kit’ on-board for the price. I would recommend the Picasso to anyone thinking of buying one.

Submitted: 2008-09-23 | ID: 38486

The latest Citroen Xsara Picasso) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)