2004 Yaris reviews

31 October 2014

2004 Toyota Yaris reviews

Toyota Yaris reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Read all reviews

Tony, Leicestershire

Toyota Yaris 1999 - 2005

We have owned our 02 plate Yaris 998cc now for 6 years. It has never missed a beat, never failed an MOT or even had any advisories. Never had anything except tyres and brakes. Would have another but this one just keeps going

Submitted: 2014-07-26 | ID: 100392

Sheila, Scotland

Toyota Yaris Multimode transmission 2004

We bought this car new in 2004 with a view that it would be a good car for my Mum to drive. Unfortunately the multimode transmission has been nothing but trouble. The car lurches, has difficulty deciding on gear on hills, and has had at least 3 replacement clutches and now needs another in just 77,700 miles. The car suddenly goes into neutral when being driven and causes the car to just stop when the clutch is starting to go. Terrifying and dangerous. I would not recommend anyone buy one of these cars. Not one of Toyota’s best moments.

Hi Sheila. I’ve read various accounts that there were problems with the MMT version. The Yaris model itself is a cracking little car. I often think the best advertisement for any make or model is to look at where you live. The town I live in seems to have very many Yarises of varying specifications and I personally think that they wouldn’t be there in any quantity if people weren’t happy with them. I would urge you to test drive the CVT automatic if you haven’t done so already. I did. I couldn’t hear it change gear or feel it. It was so smooth and refined. I ended up buying a 2011 T Spirit which, so far, has proved to be all I hoped it would. We test drove the auto because in the not too distant future my wife and I are looking at 1 car between us. She likes automatics I like manuals, primarily because they are generally more frugal than autos. Plus mine is only £30 a year to tax. Hope this helps. - Stephen Nicholls from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2013-09-28 | ID: 48607

Mike Ross, Northumberland

Toyota Yaris D4D T spirit 2004

I bought this car new in 2004. It has done 136k miles and was still returning over 70mpg. In all that time it has had a wheel bearing and a couple of bonnet release cables replaced. Then the gearbox fell to pieces, a total complete failure. I cannot believe my luck. I know an old guy who works in a little workshop who only rebuilds gearboxes, he knows ’em inside out, less than a 100 yards from my home. He tells me that he rebuilds a Yaris box at least once a week. The fault is in the main bearings, which have plastic cages to space the roller bearings where most have metal. Having been quoted close on three grand for a new box (I’m having the clutch renewed, still on the factory original), he’s going to sort it for very reasonable amount of money. It’s a superb car with the best build quality I’ve ever owned, but a few pennies scrimped on the bearings have spoiled an epic story.

Submitted: 2011-12-19 | ID: 48557

Laura Kelly, Ireland

Toyota Yaris 2004

I can’t believe Toyota at all. I got a Toyota Yaris 18 mths ago and it’s been nothing but a hassel. 1st the earth was not on right and I broke down on the M50! 2nd it would not start for me one morning; called the after-care team, they told me it was not serviced...Hello!? I got it 2nd hand! 3rd my horn would not work and now the gear box is playing up and the worst thing is I still have 3 and a half years left to pay so I now going to court about it. Best of luck to anyone who thinks a Toyota Yaris is a good car; nothing but a a hunk of junk, a Fiat would be better. And to top it all Toyota didnt want to know, f***ers.

It all comes down to this. Most people can’t drive. Others get their cars serviced only very occasionally or not at all, then blame it when it gives trouble. Wake up and smell the coffee! - Hacked Off from England

Submitted: 2010-04-03 | ID: 48335

The latest Toyota Yaris) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)