2004 Avensis Tourer reviews

2004 Toyota Avensis Tourer reviews

Toyota Avensis Tourer reviews by year of make:2002 2003 2004 Read all reviews

Noel Schmitt, Yorkshire

Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 T3S 2004

My 2004 1.8 T3S Toyota Avensis Tourer has now reached 106,000 miles and I still haven’t had a single problem. It passes its MOTs with flying colours every year. I decided a year ago to buy an Avensis 1.8 T3X for myself to go to work. It has 60000 miles on the clock and it runs beautifully. I don’t care what car manufacturers produce, I will stick to my two Avensis until they die. These cars offer me safety, comfort, reliability and stressfree motoring and they are dead cheap to run as I haven’t paid anything at all in repairs for the past 8 years. What more do I need? I am not surprised that the Avensis is popular with taxi drivers but remember not to buy a diesel as they will have more problems and the repair bills are horrendous. This is not a problem with the Avensis in particular, but with any diesel cars in general. Well done Toyota for producing such an amazing car and I will keep you posted when I have a problem. Let’s see what these cars are really made of!

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 47755

Noel Schmitt, Yorkshire

Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 2004

To start with, I want to make it clear that I don’t work for Toyota. I am actually a teacher! Being French I bought Peugeot and Renault. My patriotism cost me a fortune as I spent most of my money having my Clio or the two 307’s repaired. I was advised to buy Japanese cars, which was for me inconceivable. I gave it a try and I bought a Honda civic (52 reg) for work and a 1.8 Toyota avensis estate (04 reg) with 13000 miles on the clock as I was starting a family. The garages have hardly seen me since then. I found that Toyota cars were better value for money than Honda cars, so I changed my Civic for an X reg Avensis (1.8 engine). I did 100000 miles with the old banger. Problems? None. I still have the Avensis estate. It has now clocked 94000. Problems? None. I just can’t kill it!!! It is used for everyday commute and we overload it with our camping stuff to go and see my family in France, Germany and Austria on a regular basis. I have even taken it into the Alps at 2800 meters altitude and it has never ever let us down! Inbetween I had a Yaris 1.4 D4d, an Auris 2.2 D-Cat and I have now an Auris 1.4 VVti, but I’ve kept my Avensis estate. Here are a few things to consider when you buy a Toyota (it is based on my experience and on the advice of professionals). Fact 1: Don’t buy a diesel. Petrol cars are simpler, therefore you will have less problems. Fact 2: The 1.8 VVTi petrol engine is the best. It’s neither too weak nor too powerful. Fact 3: Don’t buy a car because it’s a Toyota as some are awful to drive and unreliable, but here are a few tips: IQ: it’s for 2 people (3 at most), great fun to drive, but good luck if you are in a crash. Aygo: don’t buy it!!!!! You will have huge problems after 20000 miles. They come with big clutch problems. Yaris: Dull, reliable but expensive. I got 67 mpg with my 1.4D4D but I could’nt face the car anymore. The 1.0 petrol is the most awful car I ever tried. Auris: big enough and comfortable. It’s a revamped corolla. I went for the 2.2 D-CAT and also I loved the car, I got rid of it after 10 days because the torque pulls the car towards the right like mad. Avensis: I can’t praise the car enough. It not a BMW but value for money is second to none. I wouldn’t go for the diesel, but that’s just me.

Submitted: 2012-02-24 | ID: 47754

Neil Rayner, Worcestershire

Toyota Avensis Tourer Tourer D-4D 2004

Bought at 85,000 miles and dual mass flywheel/clutch completely shot. Cost of repair £1,500 - fortunately not borne by me. Further research shows that this is a common problem with the D-4D cars that Toyota is nbot prepared to recognise - shame on them. I had a 1988 Toyota Carina II for 10 years from 1991 to 2001. By the time I had got rid of it, at 200,000 miles plus, nothing major whatsoever had gone wrong with it. I had a 1997 Carina E Estate from 2001 to 2008 - again a high mileage at disposal - over 170,000 and nothing major had ever gone wrong with it. It is simply not good enough for a modern car to suffer this type of breakdown at such a relatively low mileage. Toyota's stock has gone way down with me. These cars should be good for 250,000 miles without expensive major components failing like this.

Submitted: 2008-04-09 | ID: 47757

Barry Henry, Leicestershire

Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T3S 5dr 2004

Excellent estate car. I bought my 54 plate Avensis Tourer 2 months ago and I’m very happy with it indeed. A very solid and safe car with excellent handling and very good fuel usage. As second hand cars go, if you can find one with reasonable mileage they are a very reliable car to go for.

Submitted: 2007-11-27 | ID: 47756

The latest Toyota Avensis Tourer) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)