2004 Shogun reviews

24 July 2014

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun reviews

Mitsubishi Shogun reviews by year of make:1993 1996 1999 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Read all reviews

Patricia Downes, Wrexham

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004

Hi I bought a Shogun 3.2 Did elegance in 2008. In late september 2010 I had a catastrophic overheat. I eventually booked it in with an enginer remanfuacturer (whom I would highly recommend), only to find out that the problem was in fact the EGR cooler and dipstick. Apparantly the car had a recall on in July 2005, good news!! Previous owner had a head gasket fitted in 2007, but the car was NEVER booked in for the recall. My finance company are likely to have to pay after speaking to the the trading standards and financial services ombudsman. A very expensive problem at £4200, but found a very reputable garage to carry out the work! Fingers crossed all goes well. Check with Mitsubishi if there are any recalls outstanding..

Submitted: 2011-05-21 | ID: 43623

Clive Thomas, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004 Diesel 3.2 DiD. Purchased new and now in garage again! 87K miles and now needs a new engine. Started with major over heating problem, which turned out to be a recall for the oil pump which was replaced under warranty. 6 months later had to have a new Ali head (Warped) at over £3.5K which was amazingly nothing to do with the major over heating warranty problem. In the snow last year the 4 wheel drive diff got stuck and could not be taken out of drive. I had to wait 4 weeks for a new bit to arrive as apparently everyone had needed one and there was no longer stock in the country. Of course this could not be not a manufacturing fault. Now top end timing belt completely shot and looking at another £3k bill. Rubbish.

Submitted: 2010-11-09 | ID: 43649

Peter, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun LWB Equippe Diesel Auto 2004

Let me down for the first time this week since purchase new in Nov 2003. Battery failed first (not bad after over 6 years and 75000 miles) and now the windscreen wiper linkage has broken. Very frustrating that when you need a 4x4 its off the road because you cant see through the windscreen! Otherwise great car, have lugged four people and camping gear through Europe with no problems. Hopefully extended warranty will cover any of the issues highlighted by others.

Submitted: 2010-01-12 | ID: 43612

June George, Neath Port Talbot

Mitsubishi Shogun 1.9 Estate 2004

I bought a 2004 1.9 petrol Vitara in July 2007, as I was very impressed with my daughter’s 1993 JLX model. My Vitara was very reliable, and extremely comfortable, although rather expensive to keep on the road. I averaged 36mpg on motorway driving, travelling at 60mph. I reluctantly part exchanged it a few weeks ago for a more economical vehicle.

Submitted: 2009-11-16 | ID: 43594

David Thomas, Bridgend

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2004

I purchased this vehicle in 2005, in 2009 with 34,000 on the clock, the front discs failed, in that they warped, has any other owner had a similar problem? As expected Mitsubishi deny any problems or recall in relation to this siuation. Their Customer Service Advisor states, and I quote. " I do not feel that we supply or sell defective components. This vehicle has been subject to 1 recall."

My 2002 Shogun Sport has only 37k miles on the clock yet has been showing signs of warped discs for over the last 15k miles. It has passed several MOTs without comment. I can feel the brakes pulsing throught the pedal but otherwise the brakes seem OK. Eventually, I’ll change the discs, which I’ve discovered are not expensive - Nick Nicholson from London

I have had 2 Shoguns where front disks have warped. 1st one at 26,000 & 2nd at 67,000 miles. Common fault due to overheating. Second change, replacements (not Misubishi) failed within 200 miles. Second replacement OK. Disks are about £70 - Brian Mckay from Kent

Try NBC Brakes (Google it). These are British made and do all specs from standard road to full race spec. They also do extra heavy duty for large 4x4. These brakes are the best in the business at half Mitsubishi prices - John A from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 43589

Andrew Mildren, Suffolk

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 Elegance 2004

I’ve had Shoguns since 1994 (this is my 4th) and never a problem with towing until this one that we’ve had from new. It overheats after about 60 miles and was recalled in 2006 for overheating. I had the recall work done but it still overheats at about 90 miles. After sales is rubbish as no dealer wants to know. Now going to chop it in for a Toyota Invincible - what a shame as my wife and I love the Shoguns but I think its bad design in the new engine. If any one knows the answer I would be grateful.

Submitted: 2008-07-16 | ID: 43673

Andrew Lowrie, Berkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DiD Elegance 2004

I bought this to replace a Chrysler Grand Voyager as the family wagon (two adults, three grown kids, two dogs and family holidays around Europe with roofbox/trailer and five full-sized bikes!) - not an easy job. The Shogun had a couple of teething problems which were resolved by adequate dealer. The equipment is good and durable, it’s quiet, comfortable, well equipped and remarkably economical when loaded on long trips (less so if you use it for Tesco run...) and a lot more stable and safer than a Grand Voyager! Mitsubishi Assist program (�15/yr for European recovery etc) is fantastic value and service was amazing only time I used it. I have recommended Shogun to one friend and my father so far - so I must like it.

..update on last report. After another two years of ownership - mileage creeping close to 35k (yes ... that low!) Shogun is proving lot less robust than it originally appeared. Every six months I need to visit garage to get the drive belts tightened - screeching away every time it gets damp. Fan squeaks away on low setting (dashboard out job?) and the external bodykit (wheelarches and bottom of door) started peeling off in sunshine in France! All held on with just double-sided sticky tape (a £36k car!). Starting to get concerned as I’m reaching end of warranty and the number of reports of timing chain failure started me thinking about going back to Jeep/Chrysler - sad state of affairs when a US built car is MORE reliable than Japanese - Andrew Lowrie from Berkshire

Submitted: 2008-01-25 | ID: 43666

The latest Mitsubishi Shogun) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)