2003 Hilux reviews

26 November 2015

2003 Toyota Hilux reviews

Toyota Hilux reviews by year of make: 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Read all reviews

Contract hire image

Lesley, Bridgend

Toyota Hilux 1979 - 2005

Hi all, not really one for reviewing cars trucks etc.: I recently bought a second-hand Hilux 2.5 D 270 VX D4D Double cab 4WD. I'm still getting to grips with it as its bigger than the Toyota Land cruiser SWB commercial that I previously had ( and couldn't afford to replace long story really rated it 10 stars)) . What I'm not happy with is no seems to be able to give me a straight answer about it's towing capacity plate under the hood has 4 codes and no explanation hand book does not give any details. My swb pulled 3 ton no problems but need to know what's legal with this one as I not only tow caravan but also my horse trailer with carriage attached. Apart from this query I am very impressed with vehicle and in response to a query I read on here mine has separate diff lock button to press but only when in low gears to switch it on and off. Please does any one understand Toyota plate details 2780kg 4765 kg 1- 1180 kg 2- 1670 kg Payload is 1045kg this is only figure in hand book I am assuming that the first figure is kerb weight but not sure I am running on 15 x 255/70R tyres. Thanks for any assistance any one can give me. Lesley

Submitted: 2015-06-28 | ID: 117798

M Lewis, Middlesex

Toyota Hilux VX 270 2003

This is the second I’ve owned, the first being a non turbo 2.8lt SSRX Japanese import which was totally reliable. The 2.5 D4D has much better performance over my old one and has been as relable as my previous one. I tow a caravan (For holidays might I add) and the VX 270 is much better than the old one. Only one thing I will say, is that I have just come back from a holiday in Spain and on my trip to Galicia on the north west coast above Portugal, the hills are fairly long and steep on the motorways. As I was packed to the brim plus child and wife, I had to put the foot to the floor in 3rd gear to get up quite a few of them. After a couple of hours, I thought I had blown up the turbo when all power died and I could hardly get up the hill. I managed to pull off the motorway and after about half an hour, the green engine light that had come on, went back off. I later find out after phoning my mechanic back in the UK, that the engine had gone into a get you home mode. It worked perfectly after that, but I was not so heavy footed after that. Having had 2 Hilux’s, it goes without saying that I would recommend without hesitation. I am going to buy another double next year. I am considering the Nissan Nevara and will test drive one, but will also look for a 3.0 D4D Auto.

Would you recommend this for carrying hay to horses in Essex and towing a horse box plus three children - Hayley Elgood from London

Submitted: 2010-08-04 | ID: 48183

The latest Toyota Hilux) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)