2002 Hiace reviews

20 December 2014

2002 Toyota Hiace reviews

Toyota Hiace reviews by year of make:1953 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Read all reviews

dave, Derbyshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought my van from a dealership and have owned it over 5 years. I have covered over 150k. Still on the original clutch at 202k. It has never broken down jap solid build at its finest.

Submitted: 2014-10-06 | ID: 104168

Bjorn, Netherlands

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

I now own a Hiace 2.4D Van. Before me it was bought new by my Grandfather. It now has 162.218km on it in 18 years. My Grandfather always thrashed it maximum powerr all the time. The beautiful 2.4D engine loves to be thrashed. Now with 162.218 km on it it realy starts to work! Never anything wrong with it. It has been in my life for 18 years... well to me there is nothing better. I love the Hiace, I even call her my Green Queen. I will keep it as long as I can. I don`t want any modern rattlebox. 1. It fires up when you look at it (any type of weather) 2. Good fuel usage (1L for 14km *Diesel* 3. No oil usage 4. Maximum speed 145km.h 5. No problems with a hill. I have driven Merc/Ford/Renault/Iveco Vans, they all fail. Toyota Hiace 2.4D. It's Simply THE BEST!

Never get tired of reading these reviews, I ran a 2.4 diesel Hiace compact for seven years it was a superb van. And you are correct they are the best van on the road, I now have run a 2.5 diesel D4D Hiace for nearly seven years and will only replace it with another Toyota. - Chris Holt from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2014-08-22 | ID: 101910

Griffyn, Australia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought a 2007 manual Hi Ace for my mobile bicycle repair business back in 2009. I had it for 5 years, it had 36k on the clock & never let me down once. After 180,000 I stalled in reverse & recked the transmission, it also needed new tyres new shocks new brakes new coolant system new thermo & had a heap of body damage repaired, over $10,000 worth & was cheaper to trade up so...... .......I traded it in for the new model & will never buy another brand of van. These things a bullet proof, apprentice proof & dare I say it women proof. I can rate these things high enough they really are the best van on the market. Griffyn Branagh Director No Limit Cycle repairs

I'm a woman and I've been driving my Hiace for 7 years - I love it but it's 96 and the T belt light has just come on. The MOT test and tax are due and it probably will need 3 new tyres. I`m wondering if it's time to finally let it go. Your comments about it being women-proof is rubbish...get over yourself - Selina Harris from Ireland

Submitted: 2014-08-04 | ID: 100878

simon, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

Had my 1996 hi ace for 7 yrs it only let me down once when the battery failed easy fix! it never failed an MOT and i didn't have to touch it, it never ever went wrong, i didn't even have to change exhaust/brake pads/shoes in 7yrs!!!!just servicing , without doubt the toughest most reliable vehicle i have ever owned, even ran sweet on neat cooking oil (when i could get it) alas its achilles heal was its thirst for juice and eventually i let it go for a fiat scudo which is superb on fuel but nowhere near as well built, if i could afford a much newer one i,d definitely have another.

Submitted: 2014-07-24 | ID: 100310

Frobisher Mudenda, Zambia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

My 1999 4WD Toyota Hiace Van had oil transmission leaks from the breather on two occasions after driving for about 10Km on each occassion. There were no noticeable changes in the transmission oil level when checked using the dip stick. Could there be a problem in the gear box?

Submitted: 2014-05-14 | ID: 95525

Keith MARSLAND , Hertfordshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

Bought my 2002 88bhp gs 7 yrs ago at 104,000 miles. Not one breakdown, misfire or weird problems. Did start to lose water very slowly and when I had cambelt done at 138,000 miles, garage said water pump had very slight leak. New waterpump, diff and gearbox oil change. Had shock absorbers and twin batteries changet last year. Now 150,000 miles with new discs and pads and still on original clutch even though I commute to north London. So easy to drive and pull away. Does 30 mpg or 400 miles to tank in London or 40 mpg/500 miles to south of France. I would rather pay bit more on fuel than heaps of trouble of other makes.

Submitted: 2014-04-13 | ID: 94155

Mark Brady, England

Toyota Hiace D4d 2002

Hello. I’ve had my Hiace since new 2002 and not had one problem in 60000 miles. I changed the original batteries last winter and changed bush at the prop. It’s had one new set of brake pads. It’s a very quick van and pulls like a train although a bit thirsty on diesel. I am looking for a change and considering a Peugeot Expert 2.0 diesel as it’s a lot better on juice. I would recommend the Hiace.

Submitted: 2013-08-11 | ID: 48158

Jim Byrne, Hertfordshire

Toyota Hiace 2002

Have had the van from 2003, very, very reliable!!! Only problem so far was the batteries failed but they were 9 years old! It starts first time every time and carries a load brilliantly which helps as I carry all types of flooring including carpet and contract vinyl. They are a bit basic but who cares? Less to breakdown. Have friends who drive other makes and constantly complain of high costs for parts and labour. My van on average costs around £300 to service including parts.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 48082

Chris Maudsley, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace d4d 280 gs 2002

Owned the van from new and have covered 153k miles. Only the batteries let me down once, replaced them both and no trouble since. Replaced clutch at 83k miles, had started slipping but this was my fault according to mechanic for not using 1st gear to set off! original exhaust, brake discs etc. I have a full service every 12k. I try to limit my cargo, I am a gas engineer so occasionally carry max weight but generally only about 300kg load. I can easy achieve 440 miles off a 60 litre tank which is 33mpg. with galv full length roof rack achieved 400 miles per tank, 30mpg and with cat ladders and triple ladders on rack would only get 360 miles-27mpg. When driving as carefully as possible to achieve max mileage per tank I managed 487miles-36.5mpg. Would not attempt 500 miles per tank takes forever to get anywhere! Very sluggish compared to Renault, Nissan, Vauxhall Vivaro variants but so reliable, I have absolutely no intention of replacing and I don’t doubt that it will be a great servant for another 8 years.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-10 | ID: 48088

Edward Webb, Kent

Toyota Hiace 2002

Hi, I have just purchased my second Toyota Hiace Lwb 300 I just wish that I had done it years ago. The only down side I would say is the fuel economy could be a little better, but just make sure the tyres are well pumped up and drive carefully problem solved. Over all it beats the Vauxhalls, Renaults, Citroens even the VWs that we all know suffer terribly with gearbox problems etc, etc, etc, and will cost you an absolute fortune to maintain. If you read this and are stuck what to buy do yourself a favour buy a Toyota Hiace it will be stress free driving from here on without the worry of breaking down and costing loads of money. I have noticed a couple of complaints from other people on here but everyone likes to moan about something from time to time.

Submitted: 2011-02-06 | ID: 48089

Ciaran Looney, Ireland

Toyota Hiace panel van 2002

The Toyota Hiace van is simply the greatest van ever built. I bought my first one in 2002, the start of the d4d models and it never once failed to start, in hail rain or snow. I put 230,000 miles on her and she was as sweet as a nut when she left my yard to a new owner. I’m a plumber by trade and the Hiace was ideal for my line of work. With great low down torque it would pull two ton no problem. When my mates where buying the likes of transporters and reno masters and vivaros, they were shelling out big money on the likes of floating fly wheel problems (VW) knackered diesel injectors (Renos)and electrical problems (Opel & Vauxhall) I was motoring away like a mouses heart. To sum it all up I’ve built my business on the strenght of reliability thanks to the Toyota and that’s why I always drive one.

Loved the write up! ESP motoring away like a mouse’s heart - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-01-12 | ID: 48104

David Farrell-Wateford, Ireland

Toyota Hiace d4d 2002

Great van, power d4d, little more econ than pre 2002. No major faults like other manufatures. Toyota engineering design and assembley 100%. Bit basic cabin and you would know you’re driving a van compared to some of the Trafics, Vivaros, I’ve driven, but Toyota spend their budget on reliablity rather than looks !!!!

Submitted: 2010-10-14 | ID: 48063

Peter Lucas, England

Toyota Hiace d4d 2002

I bought this van 8 years ago new and have had no problems whatsoever. I’ve done 100,000 miles and it’s as good now as the day it was made. I personally would not buy any other type of van. PERFECT.

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 48035

Anthony, Devon

Toyota Hiace 102bhp D4D, Twin side loading doors 2002

Always had Mercedes, but went over to Toyota. Brilliant van, comfortable and economical (25 -29mpg fully loaded). I actually like the basic simplicity of the van, as a mobile mechanic it is very easy to keep interior clean with out the worry of damaging electrics. Also the van is robust and it’s rear wheel drive!! If you carry heavy loads, you’ve got to own a rear wheel drive van. Another little feature is the 2 position tail gate struts, allows you to raise the tailgate out of the way, which you can’t do on a Vito. Brilliant, no-nonsense van.

Submitted: 2009-02-16 | ID: 48172

Aidan, Worcestershire

Toyota Hiace 2002

Had to use one occasionally at my old place of work. Very dated looking van inside and out, but it had 180,000 miles on it and performed perfectly, it was very comfortable and had enough power in it (d-4d model), unlike many of the newer diesels it had a good amount of torque at idle like the old transits, if the newer shape/facelift model has a new interior too its well worth a look. Just read about the faults with the equivalent transit, Vivaro, Transporter etc.

Submitted: 2009-01-02 | ID: 48173

The latest Toyota Hiace) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)