2002 Scenic reviews

22 October 2014

2002 Renault Scenic reviews

Renault Scenic reviews by year of make:1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Read all reviews

George, County Down

Renault Scenic 1.9 dTi FIDJI 2002

Hi, bought my 02 Scenic 1.9 dTi Fidji in October 2007 as a second car for my wife to drive. There was 45,000 Miles on it when I bought it with a Full Service History. In Summer 2008 the engine blew up leaving me having to buy another engine from a scrapyard with 60,000 Miles on it. (thankfully I’m a mechanic so I fitted it myself). All was well then on Christmas day I tried to start it and it really struggled. I left the car running whilst I went into the house to fetch some hot water to clear the windscreen. When I got back to the front door I heard the car revving very loudly (I thought my Son was in it) but no he wasn’t. I ran to the car and pulled out the keys and it didn’t turn off! The black smoke was just piping out of the back, there was that much it completely covered the road 4 metres away from where the car was lol! Eventually it blew the engine AGAIN. So I had no other choice other than to scrap the car.

Submitted: 2011-01-14 | ID: 46479

Willie Nixon, County Down

Renault Scenic 1.9 dti Expression 2002

Bought the car in 2008 with 60000 miles. It now has 97000 and it hasn’t missed a beat - no niggles, no rattles. This my second Scenic and I’m about to buy Renault yet again. Only money spent was timing belt, new tyres and new brakes all round. It leaks a little power-steering fluid, and a little oil, but I have given this car no care and have happily thrashed the engine - it is a real worker. The car has never been amazing on MPG, returning around 43mpg around town and only rising slightly to about 45mpg on longer runs. It drives well and happily eats up motorway miles well in excess of the legal limit - no matter how hard you push the engine it still returns 45mpg on long journeys - not bad for an 8 year old car with fast approaching 100000miles on the clock!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-13 | ID: 46440

Dave Smih, Warwickshire

Renault Scenic fidji 1.9 dci 2002

I had a 1.6 petrol automatic 99 V plate a few years back and it was a pile of c**p but picked up the 2002 1.9 dci fidji a couple of days ago and it’s fantastic. Sold my 2004 volvo s60 d5 because I needed to downsize and raise cash and even with the fairly big power difference the Scenic is certainly no slouch. I highly recommend this car for it storage capacity, it’s comfort, the awesome diesel engine, and thank god this one has air con and a cd player, oh and a manual gearbox because the auto is disasterous. love it.<br /><br />

I’m the guy who wrote this review and unfortunately have to report that my brilliant diesel Scenic has kicked me full in the face. Only had it since April 2010 and already needed 2 fanbelts and 1 new alternator, now I have no compression and a price tag of around £500. That makes a total of £900 so far and it not worth much more than that now. Will not have another one - Dave Smith from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 46443

Mac, Norfolk

Renault Scenic Fidji 1.9dci 2002

Excellent small (?) car with plenty of storage lockers and loads of space (with or without the rear seats in place. Very economical whether solo (50mpg average) or towing our 1000kg caravan around Italy, France and Spain (around 30mpg). The high profile of the Scenic allows excellent views of the surrounding countryside as well as helping the aero-dynamics of car and caravan. Take care to remember you’ve got a caravan behind you when you’re breezing along. Apart from that "dodgy supermarket diesel" causing a £200 breakdown on the M25 and an annoying seatbelt sensor wire we have been pleased with its reliability. Couple of niggles. The steel spare wheel became loose several times!!! (studs supplied are for alloy wheels and steel wheels have a different profile). The ride we’d describe as too firm for Norfolk’s poorly maintained pot holes.

Submitted: 2009-10-09 | ID: 46390

Pamela McCartney, County Antrim

Renault Scenic Scenic Fidji 1.6 2002

Absolutely hate my Scenic; it’s just a big money box. Drove a Mazda 323 for 13 years with no problems whatsoever except the usual servicing/tyre replacement etc... Previous to that, I had a Honda, also a great car. Then I changed last October to this piece of crap as I needed more room for kids etc... Love the interior space but in the few months I have owned it, I have had to replace all the coils, water pump, cam belt and possibly now the head gasket as it is in again for repair after breaking down 5 times... Once on the motorway. When it is driveable again, I will be putting it up for sale and going back to a more reliable make of car.

I totally agree with your report; we too had a Scenic and I got so fed up with the unscheduled visits to the Renault dealer that we traded it in for a Toyota Verso. No regrets on that deal! Toyota has been 100% reliable. I too will never, ever buy another Renault (or a French car for that matter!) - Murray King from Wiltshire

Never buy a 1600 renault Secnic 2002/3 as head gaskets give nothing but trouble. always go diesel 1-9dti or dci. Great miles and trust worthy all the way to 300,000 mile with regular servicing - David Mc Dowell from County Antrim

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 46401

Ady Wood, Kent

Renault Scenic 1600 petrol 2002

I will never even drive one again or think of buying one again, this was the worst car ever with ongoing faults that Renault cant even sort. I bought the car with low miles and it needed a cat which Renault say should last at least 5 years but won’t except any of it, it needed a clutch, the dash stopped working, Renault couldn’t fix that. You can’t change the headlight bulbs, Renault have to do it coz you need to remove front panel seats which become very loose. The key packs up the stereo controls. The paint comes off, the dash boot is always loose, ignition coils go every winter and Renault still says there is no problem. They have had the most recalls of any, these cars are terrible- all this happened within 6 months and Renault will not help you or accept any liability. Mine was 2 years old and they classed it as usual wear. Also they loose alot of money-you can actually get an new shape 53 reg for less than an old shape 02 so that says it all. Forgot to mention the stupid handbrake that only works when it wants to and does not understand hills. Please don’t bother buying one, I’ve now got a CRV, same sort of money and twice the car. I would stay away from all Renault vehicles until they decide that all there fancy electrics just don’t work.

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 46554

Keith Wanless, Hampshire

Renault Scenic 2002

We bought the top of the range diesel scenic and love it. Although we have only done 48000 miles which is silly for a six year old diesel we would be looking to buy a new one, however we just don’t like the new shape, shame. It is constantly reliable and roomy, easily big enough for five even on a long journey. The seats come out if you need more boot space no problem, mpg is good and overall we can’t fault it.

Submitted: 2008-02-28 | ID: 46567

The latest Renault Scenic) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)