1998 Hiace reviews

31 October 2014

1998 Toyota Hiace reviews

Toyota Hiace reviews by year of make:1953 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Read all reviews

dave, Derbyshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought my van from a dealership and have owned it over 5 years. I have covered over 150k. Still on the original clutch at 202k. It has never broken down jap solid build at its finest.

Submitted: 2014-10-06 | ID: 104168

Bjorn, Netherlands

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

I now own a Hiace 2.4D Van. Before me it was bought new by my Grandfather. It now has 162.218km on it in 18 years. My Grandfather always thrashed it maximum powerr all the time. The beautiful 2.4D engine loves to be thrashed. Now with 162.218 km on it it realy starts to work! Never anything wrong with it. It has been in my life for 18 years... well to me there is nothing better. I love the Hiace, I even call her my Green Queen. I will keep it as long as I can. I don`t want any modern rattlebox. 1. It fires up when you look at it (any type of weather) 2. Good fuel usage (1L for 14km *Diesel* 3. No oil usage 4. Maximum speed 145km.h 5. No problems with a hill. I have driven Merc/Ford/Renault/Iveco Vans, they all fail. Toyota Hiace 2.4D. It's Simply THE BEST!

Never get tired of reading these reviews, I ran a 2.4 diesel Hiace compact for seven years it was a superb van. And you are correct they are the best van on the road, I now have run a 2.5 diesel D4D Hiace for nearly seven years and will only replace it with another Toyota. - Chris Holt from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2014-08-22 | ID: 101910

Griffyn, Australia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought a 2007 manual Hi Ace for my mobile bicycle repair business back in 2009. I had it for 5 years, it had 36k on the clock & never let me down once. After 180,000 I stalled in reverse & recked the transmission, it also needed new tyres new shocks new brakes new coolant system new thermo & had a heap of body damage repaired, over $10,000 worth & was cheaper to trade up so...... .......I traded it in for the new model & will never buy another brand of van. These things a bullet proof, apprentice proof & dare I say it women proof. I can rate these things high enough they really are the best van on the market. Griffyn Branagh Director No Limit Cycle repairs

I'm a woman and I've been driving my Hiace for 7 years - I love it but it's 96 and the T belt light has just come on. The MOT test and tax are due and it probably will need 3 new tyres. I`m wondering if it's time to finally let it go. Your comments about it being women-proof is rubbish...get over yourself - Selina Harris from Ireland

Submitted: 2014-08-04 | ID: 100878

simon, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

Had my 1996 hi ace for 7 yrs it only let me down once when the battery failed easy fix! it never failed an MOT and i didn't have to touch it, it never ever went wrong, i didn't even have to change exhaust/brake pads/shoes in 7yrs!!!!just servicing , without doubt the toughest most reliable vehicle i have ever owned, even ran sweet on neat cooking oil (when i could get it) alas its achilles heal was its thirst for juice and eventually i let it go for a fiat scudo which is superb on fuel but nowhere near as well built, if i could afford a much newer one i,d definitely have another.

Submitted: 2014-07-24 | ID: 100310

Frobisher Mudenda, Zambia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

My 1999 4WD Toyota Hiace Van had oil transmission leaks from the breather on two occasions after driving for about 10Km on each occassion. There were no noticeable changes in the transmission oil level when checked using the dip stick. Could there be a problem in the gear box?

Submitted: 2014-05-14 | ID: 95525

Keith MARSLAND , Hertfordshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

Bought my 2002 88bhp gs 7 yrs ago at 104,000 miles. Not one breakdown, misfire or weird problems. Did start to lose water very slowly and when I had cambelt done at 138,000 miles, garage said water pump had very slight leak. New waterpump, diff and gearbox oil change. Had shock absorbers and twin batteries changet last year. Now 150,000 miles with new discs and pads and still on original clutch even though I commute to north London. So easy to drive and pull away. Does 30 mpg or 400 miles to tank in London or 40 mpg/500 miles to south of France. I would rather pay bit more on fuel than heaps of trouble of other makes.

Submitted: 2014-04-13 | ID: 94155

Trevor Brandon, London

Toyota Hiace Gs LWB 1998

Purchased my van about 10 years ago. Quite simply the best vehicle I have owned. Only problem being faulty rear internal light bulb (90p) Halfords. 100% reliable now done 122,000 miles. Not the fastest or the biggest, but most certainly the best. Just buy!

Will Trevor get this review? If so which engine is in your van? I am looking at a 2.7 petrol engined 2000 vehicle and cannot find info about mpg. Any guidance gratefully received - Adrian Fielding from Cornwall

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 48136

Dave Benyon, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace diesel automatic 1998

I’m writing about a mates experiences with SurfAce, TownAce and HiAce day-vans (or picnic wagons as I call them) VERY BAD although the vehicles were all about ten years old. The automatic gearboxes gave a lot of trouble refusing to change up into top gear until they were hot (old fluid and clogged filters?) Head gaskets blew as the vehicles were apt to boil on steep hills. After one repair the mechanic (not me!) made the gaffe of fitting a new oil filter without noticing that the old rubber ring was still stuck to the block. It was a pitch black night, no moon, no stars and no street lamps where the Ace spewed out its oil. I was called out to tow the beastie back but I don’t think this helped the transmission which was pretty knackered anyway. (Not many transmissions have a second hydraulic pump on the output shaft these days but the old Borg-Warner 35s from the 1960s could be towed OK) On that night all our torches mobile phones and cigarette lighters chose to fail and as those Toyotas are hard enough to work on in daylight over a pit, fixing it in the dark, cold and filth wasn’t really possible. The van survived for a few more months but rolled-over on a bend when the driver over-corrected after nodding off. According to the AA man these Aces are top of his list for roll-over incidents as the track width is so narrow compared to the height. (Japan taxes vehicles on width). There are also no Haynes manuals for these vehicles. Hopefully newer models are better but my impressions of Japanese machinery are that spares are extremely costly and back-up is difficult to obtain.

Submitted: 2011-01-31 | ID: 48101

The latest Toyota Hiace) deals on our sister site ContractHireAndLeasing.com (links open in a new window)